Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damned Wolfe

[CS2] Ragna General Discussion

How do you Play Ragna?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How do you Play Ragna?

• Straight up Offense!
    • Bait in to Punish!
    • Defensive Punish!
    • Spam Hell's Fang and Inferno Divider moves!

gh is 20f normal, 16f tk

Grounded version hits crouching opponent at 24 frames, while the air version (TK'd) will hit a crouching opponent at 23 frames. Both are plenty reactable. Pretty much landing overheads requires you to be fairly random with them. A good example is forcing them to block a j.C and then doing 6B right after. It catches a lot of people off guard because your natural reaction is to block low after a jump in attack. That's just one example, but you guys get the idea. 2B 6B is probably the worst string to throw 6B at an opponent.

Sometimes throwing out 6B after a 5A or 2A is good in high level play. People respecting your block strings won't be mashing out after a 5A or 2A, so sometimes it will work (unless they just mash on reaction, which would make you pretty sad face). 22C into dash up 5A 6B is a good example.

I noticed some people mash jab back at you whenever you jab at them. It always catches me by surprise because I expect their natural reaction to be to block :P

It depends on the level of player. Good players respect your options, bad players don't know what those options are, so they hit buttons. The sad thing is, mashing jab isn't that good in the game compared to others.

Yeah, I'm talking about players that will respect your options (aka not online players or terribles). Strategy talk always assume high level play and people respecting your options.

Grounded version hits crouching opponent at 24 frames, while the air version (TK'd) will hit a crouching opponent at 23 frames. Both are plenty reactable. Pretty much landing overheads requires you to be fairly random with them.

YES. This sounds SO much like what the MAN up here in Alaska said about overheads. Guess great minds think alike!

For the most part, in high-level play, you're going to be hitting with overheads when your opponent is seriously under pressure and/or paying attention to other things like breaking grabs, jumping aways from you, etc. So, it's probably not something you want to use every single time you get somebody blocking.

And about 6B and Hades. Everyone. Don't forget about the notes. Because I used to think OMG!!!!! TK Hades is 12 frame startup! WOW! But then I read. "Hits crouching on 23." Oh. That's like the same as 6B.

Same with Bang's 5C. It has a 15 frame startup, but hits crouching at around 23 or so. Around the same speed as Ragna's.

Anyway. Point is. From the way some people talk about Dudena's 6B you'd think it's very snail-like when it's like around the speed of every single overhead in Blaz. Soo....Doesn't make sense.

Sometimes throwing out 6B after a 5A or 2A is good in high level play. People respecting your block strings won't be mashing out after a 5A or 2A, so sometimes it will work (unless they just mash on reaction, which would make you pretty sad face). 22C into dash up 5A 6B is a good example.

Shit makes me so angry when people do this, but playing against people who respect your blockstrings is often fun, you get to really get into their heads with dash 2A,dash 2B,Dead Spike,dash 5A, grab, 6D, j.D etc. especially if they're locked down on blocking.

If the "ARCS" would cause the "6b" or the "tk GH" be faster, maybe 15-17 frames (difference of approximately 2 milliseconds), and offer an improved grap for Ragy. (More invc., more range ... i dont know much about the problems in grab, i know that is not very stable...) and return things like "5b> 6a", "normal 3c", "B. Edge (only with the damage nerf), combos "GH" follow up, I think ragy. would be well balanced ...

I mean, if we consider that "D. Belial edge combo" and "22c loop" are going to be eliminated, the damage (and heat gain) of ragy. now takes a "considerable blow" ... if we add it to a "diminution of his damage in general" (BnB's around 3k / 3,5 k only ..) in exchange for a better mix-up Ragy. could become a much better character.

it seems reasonable to get a better mix ... to compensate the two factors that made Ragy. a good character, " very good Heat gain and damage" => "normal damage and heat gain + better mix-up"

moreover, it would make him less "noob friend", since the "mix-up" for Ragna need a little more training and experience to be used correctly and connect, much more Exp. than simple use his combos ...

Note: this change could bring greater appreciation for the "blood kain", since he would again be an indispensable tool for any Ragna, to maximize your damage

If ragy. become more dependent on BK, it would be even less "friend of the noobs and button mashers", since it would be necessary to learn the strategies and combos for Ragna/BK Ragna ...

Sorry for my english...

NOTE2: sorry to have started talking about the "new Ragna" so suddenly and without introduction. conversed about mix-up made me want to talk about my theories about a "better Ragna"

Counter Attack? I meant meter free, but how punishable are those jabs?

some people can get pretty good combos off of jab actually.

is it possible to do something like

anything into single belial (no follow ups after belial)

dash under

22c33a3c(if they don't tech, 22c comes out. if they tech, you cross under them as they emergency tech and 3c comes out after you cross under them, possibly leading to big damage+oki on hit, or pressure reset with 5d(1) dead spike.. mix it up with 22c3a3c for fake cross up, throws/overheads after cross up/fake cross up, etc

Ragna's mixup is fine. I wish he had a command grab though lolz. And no, 22C does not count of course. Blood Kain is fine where it is. I don't think Blood Kain is implemented correctly, but in terms of effectiveness, it's pretty much flawless.

And what on earth? Are people saying Ragna has a bad grab? It's FINE. Around 3300 damage and 50 heat is FINE. Getting a grab with 50 meter and going into Blood Kain for 5500 damage is FINE.

And as everyone is saying, if you have a good idea that someone is going to mash jab out of block, well, that's what 2C is for. Fatal for a million damage.

You can't use his overheads against someone that's going to punch you. You have to make someone not want to get hit with a frame trap before you can try overheads.

There is a counter to just about anything anybody does when they are blocking. It's all about guessing and deploying the appropiate counter.

If Ragna where to stay the same as he is now when the patch comes out, I would say the only things could use are an extra normal like say, 4D or J2D or something, better implementation of his life steal thing and better implementation of Blood Kain.

Ragna's mixup is fine. I wish he had a command grab though lolz. And no, 22C does not count of course. Blood Kain is fine where it is. I don't think Blood Kain is implemented correctly, but in terms of effectiveness, it's pretty much flawless.

And what on earth? Are people saying Ragna has a bad grab? It's FINE. Around 3300 damage and 50 heat is FINE. Getting a grab with 50 meter and going into Blood Kain for 5500 damage is FINE.

And as everyone is saying, if you have a good idea that someone is going to mash jab out of block, well, that's what 2C is for. Fatal for a million damage.

You can't use his overheads against someone that's going to punch you. You have to make someone not want to get hit with a frame trap before you can try overheads.

There is a counter to just about anything anybody does when they are blocking. It's all about guessing and deploying the appropiate counter.

If Ragna where to stay the same as he is now when the patch comes out, I would say the only things could use are an extra normal like say, 4D or J2D or something, better implementation of his life steal thing and better implementation of Blood Kain.

you clearly aren't reading what we're talking about in terms of mixup and general options

grabs aren't solid options when they're techable for so long, they're an ok option, but not solid enough to be like yeah this is mixup

when you play against someone who is experienced against ragna come back here and tell me his mixup is fine for the risk he has to put out

Hi guys, been practicing Ragna abit for a tournament but i can't seem to get the hang of dashing out of moves.

DC after 5D is easy, but dashing out of 22B?? :mad: i cant seem to get it right.

Also having problems with 5B,6A,5C (HJC),j.C,j.D(JC),j.C,j.214C,DASH 6D. They keep recovering after i dash after these! What am I doing wrong?

Can someone explain when i should dash out of these plz?

Thnx in advance

aww nobody responded to seifuku.

the input should be 6632A~C but you cannot make it cross up emergency tech because it is way too early. but you can whiff that 2A and still crossup 2A. I think.

Anyways, lmao look its puppet trainee.

I was trolling around on ranked with my tager, i body him, he comes back and asks for a rematch, i say sure. So we play, he keeps asking me to play tager. Though on my card, tager is obviously like my 8th most played character, he cant seem to get it through his head that i dont main tager. So we keep playing, and get a bunch of badly spelled messages such as "stfu LYER -_-" and messages telling me to keep picking tager. Anyways, we play like 12 matches or something? it was like, 11-0 before the last match, and i tried to go for astral. Now, my tager isnt very good at all, and i ended up losing in the last round trying to combo into it (how can you do it without spark anyways? :x ) and then he sends me another badly spelled message, and another one saying LMAOROTFLOL xD and kicks me from the room. I then find out that he does this to everyone

lmao

mm.. i really want to find a way to make it work 100% because it would be a really nice addition to ragna's oki game, since it would force an emergency tech instead of you using divider/hells fang which isn't true oki.. it messes with DP/reversal inputs, puts another layer of thought on wake up games (you used to just look for overhead/throws, now you look for crossup/overhead/throw) which obviously increases your chance of getting some more damage from oki. unfortunately my execution for this type of thing is somewhat bad since i play on pad+i have not had a lot of time to play lately

Hi guys, been practicing Ragna abit for a tournament but i can't seem to get the hang of dashing out of moves.

DC after 5D is easy, but dashing out of 22B?? i cant seem to get it right.

Also having problems with 5B,6A,5C (HJC),j.C,j.D(JC),j.C,j.214C,DASH 6D. They keep recovering after i dash after these! What am I doing wrong?

Can someone explain when i should dash out of these plz?

Thnx in advance

Somebody else told me this, look for when Ragna puts his arm back to his side after 22C to do the dash 5B.

You can buffer the dash very early after 22C, but you have to time the 5B so that you execute it just as you recover from 22C. I tried cheating by buffering dash early and then pressing and HOLDING 5B to take advantage of the 5-frame buffer window on button presses. Unfortunately, end result of that was simply getting a 5B with no dash.

Looking at the frame data, it's a one frame link, and you can't use the buffer system to help (like Titanium said). Point being, it's just hard, and it doesn't do a huge amount to be worth the trouble, it just nudges his damage up a bit more.

Depends, I practiced some earlier today and I found that while it is hard, it's not THAT hard and it's occasionally worth it. Specific example would be off of 2B. 2B-3C into 2B pickup does about 3.2k, whereas:

2B-3C -> 22C, dash 5B-5D, DC, 6A, HJC hj.C-D, JC j.C -> BE, dash 22C, dash 5B-3C -> 22C

Does 4k.

I'm experimenting with other combos right now, I would say if you've got the execution and you want to max out your damage, it's worth learning.