Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damned Wolfe

[CS2] Ragna General Discussion

How do you Play Ragna?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How do you Play Ragna?

• Straight up Offense!
    • Bait in to Punish!
    • Defensive Punish!
    • Spam Hell's Fang and Inferno Divider moves!

He's really up there. I wish I could mention other top Ragna players but once you see a bunch of Kaqn's matches you should be able to tell who's a good Ragna player and who's a bad one.

i see thank you. and is Kaqn the best ragna or something?

Kaqn pulls off amazing shit. He's like a Daigo if you want to put it into SF4/2 terms. He is a good model to learn how to move as Ragna and he is very creative.

I urge you not to compare Ragna to Ryu and Ken though from SF4. I also converted from that game to this. He is not like those two. He has no range ability and doesnt really follow their play style. Learn the combos. Watch Kaqn. Ragna is a beast but he is his own beast. You need to just get to know him.

Remember TO BLOCK

Yea, watch Kaqn. Kind of random but I still don't know how you pronounce his name. Anyways, he definitely is the standard for Ragna players. IMO, the hardest thing about using Ragna is learning how to keep the momentum. Without momentum, Ragna is pretty much just a fish out of water.

I see. I only compared him to ryu cuz he is a basic character, not because of how he plays. Well I thought he was easy to use for begginers, but to keep the pressure on all match, and play D is a little bit for an uber begginer. He kind of seems like akuma. Ragna has a slight learning curve, but the payoff is good. I also heard that he has low health, is this true?

Yea, watch Kaqn. Kind of random but I still don't know how you pronounce his name. Anyways, he definitely is the standard for Ragna players.

IMO, the hardest thing about using Ragna is learning how to keep the momentum. Without momentum, Ragna is pretty much just a fish out of water.

I'd pronounce it like kak-n. I suppose since he's japanese it could be like ka-qin because they pronounce their 'ka' with a long 'a' like 'caw', don't know about the 'qn'. But then it kinda sounds like cock-in :keke:

I see. I only compared him to ryu cuz he is a basic character, not because of how he plays. Well I thought he was easy to use for begginers, but to keep the pressure on all match, and play D is a little bit for an uber begginer. He kind of seems like akuma. Ragna has a slight learning curve, but the payoff is good. I also heard that he has low health, is this true?

Yeah, he has the lowest health. I guess he makes up for that with his drive being able to drain life but I wouldn't count on it to really make much a difference.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Jump Cancel (JC) and High Jump Cancel (HJC) I see the notations in different combos and was wondering what the specific difference was.

Carl has the lowest health. I'm pretty sure Ragna is tied with Nu for the second lowest health in the game. As for his drive, Ragna's drive is absolute garbage... worst drive in the game IMO. Drive's are suppose to be the characters ace in the sleeve but Ragna's drive is just his Fancy C button attack, not to mention all of the attacks have some nasty recovery and are easily punished.

Anyone have any advice for me? As a beginner Ragna player and a noob, I can usually do his combos in Training Mode, but when I go into an actual match it's like I can't remember any of them and I end up doing something stupid easy and simple like 5B, 5C, 214A, 214D, or 5B, 5C, 5D, 214 B, 214 D. I can't seem to remember the combos from the combo thread, and by the time I'm remembering one it's usually too late. Are there any good, effective combos(like ones that end in 22C or something) that I should focus on doing whenever I have an opening? I hate getting confused at all the combos and their situations and then ending up doing 5B, 5C, Hell's Fang or something. It doesn't even feel satisfying to win a match with those. Sorry for the dumb question.

Also, in case you want to ignore the question above for a slightly less-dumb one, I'm having trouble doing 214 A, RC, 6D, j.D, 5B, 3C. I always seem to be out of range for 3C after I do the 5B and it will just whiff. How do you guys connect it?

Just practice the combos over and over again. When you think you got them down, PRACTICE them more. The trick is to keep doing them over and over again until it's hard to NOT do them.

As for the 214A(RC)-6D-j.D-5B-3C-22C combo. I'm the only person that's going to tell you this but this combo is terrible. It's a pain in the ass to hit consistently (even Kaqn will mess this one up every now and then) and the damage really isn't worth it.

Instead, I prefer 5B-5C-Carnage Scissors-dash 6A-j.C-j.D-(JC)-j.C-j.D-623C-236C-214C. Does nearly 4000 damage and it's much easier to connect. If you start the combo off with 6B instead of 5B you'll deal close to 4800.

I'm sure others have their combos that they prefer but I'm a man who loves consistency. When you have a consistent combo, you have a guaranteed combo.

In addition to watching Kaqn vids, watch other ragna vids on youtube too, just put his name in the search bar. There aren't any specifics, but you can learn what to do and what NOT to do. Finding flaws in other Ragna's just makes your own that much better. I think his health is at 10,000 HP if I'm not mistaken, so its pretty low. His standing neutral B and C (5B and 5C) are good pokes to keep your opponents away if you can't build momentum. The carnage scissors distortion drive....kinda pointless at best. Ragna's heat gauge is much better spent on rapid cancels and counters to get out of tough situations. Don't be afraid to toss out an inferno divider every now and then (srk+C or D), it'll catch a lot of people off guard, and the D version steals some hp.

Carl has the lowest health. I'm pretty sure Ragna is tied with Nu for the second lowest health in the game. As for his drive, Ragna's drive is absolute garbage... worst drive in the game IMO. Drive's are suppose to be the characters ace in the sleeve but Ragna's drive is just his Fancy C button attack, not to mention all of the attacks have some nasty recovery and are easily punished.

Worst drive in the game imo is Hakumen's

Nobody actually counters. Its a rarity.

Ragna's drive actually has alot of uses alot of combos.

Just practice the combos over and over again. When you think you got them down, PRACTICE them more. The trick is to keep doing them over and over again until it's hard to NOT do them.

As for the 214A(RC)-6D-j.D-5B-3C-22C combo. I'm the only person that's going to tell you this but this combo is terrible. It's a pain in the ass to hit consistently (even Kaqn will mess this one up every now and then) and the damage really isn't worth it.

Instead, I prefer 5B-5C-Carnage Scissors-dash 6A-j.C-j.D-(JC)-j.C-j.D-623C-236C-214C. Does nearly 4000 damage and it's much easier to connect. If you start the combo off with 6B instead of 5B you'll deal close to 4800.

I'm sure others have their combos that they prefer but I'm a man who loves consistency. When you have a consistent combo, you have a guaranteed combo.

It is not hard to do consistently, actually, your combo is harder to time than the D combo. The D combo is easy to do once you learn the "trick" behind it. It's harder to do online sometimes because of the input lag, but unlike 5D dash combos (which can't really be done unless you have a really solid connection), you can still do it even on a red, 2 bar connection.

The reason why this combo is better than that combo is because of how it sets up your opponent. Yea, Ragna can dish out 4-5k dmg combos, but almost all of them reset the position and you're back to square one (this is particularly annoying against the zoners). The beauty of the 22C combos is that it sets you up to do more dmg afterwards, with you in control. I personally think it's better to do 2 3k combos than 1 4-5k combo, with myself still in control over the outcome after the 2nd combo, but I digress.

I'm also not sure why you would waste heat on a 6B combo like that, when you can do almost as much damage without heat.

I disagree. His drive is highly useful. In BK it becomes a menace.

6D is one of the most useful basic drives in the game :eng101: Unlike a lot of other characters since his drive is merely a fancy C button attack it is highly comboable. Also don't forget that in BK his drive abilities change. They're bigger, meaner, drain more life, and even some moves gain properties. Such as Hell's Fang gaining a strong wall bounce.

6D is one of the most useful basic drives in the game :eng101: Unlike a lot of other characters since his drive is merely a fancy C button attack it is highly comboable. Also don't forget that in BK his drive abilities change. They're bigger, meaner, drain more life, and even some moves gain properties. Such as Hell's Fang gaining a strong wall bounce.

BK drains health though, so I find it best to use after a combo or near death.

I'm wondering though, when you perform Yami ni Kuwarero, does the amount of health you regain relate to the opponent's health or how much BK time you have left? I never paid much attention to it, but it may come in handy.

Worst drive in the game imo is Hakumen's

Nobody actually counters. Its a rarity.

Ragna's drive actually has alot of uses alot of combos.

Haku's drive is awesome. Sure, it's hard to use but I've encountered plenty of good Haku players who do know how to use it and get scary damage off of it. A Haku player who is good with his drive will literally make you afraid to even attempt any kind of pressure strings. I'd gladly trade drives with Haku. Ragna with the ability to counter!? That would be godlike.:keke:

6D is one of the most useful basic drives in the game Unlike a lot of other characters since his drive is merely a fancy C button attack it is highly comboable. Also don't forget that in BK his drive abilities change. They're bigger, meaner, drain more life, and even some moves gain properties. Such as Hell's Fang gaining a strong wall bounce.

BK is yet another overrated tool of Ragna's IMO. Is it good? Yes. Is it a gamble? MOST definitely.

6D? One of the most useful basic drive attacks in the game!? No, I don't believe that. There's a reason you'll see many good Ragna's throw this move out sparingly. That reason being it's easily punished.

Sorry, but I'd take any other characters drive over Ragna's anyday.

It is not hard to do consistently, actually, your combo is harder to time than the D combo. The D combo is easy to do once you learn the "trick" behind it. It's harder to do online sometimes because of the input lag, but unlike 5D dash combos (which can't really be done unless you have a really solid connection), you can still do it even on a red, 2 bar connection.

The reason why this combo is better than that combo is because of how it sets up your opponent. Yea, Ragna can dish out 4-5k dmg combos, but almost all of them reset the position and you're back to square one (this is particularly annoying against the zoners). The beauty of the 22C combos is that it sets you up to do more dmg afterwards, with you in control. I personally think it's better to do 2 3k combos than 1 4-5k combo, with myself still in control over the outcome after the 2nd combo, but I digress.

I'm also not sure why you would waste heat on a 6B combo like that, when you can do almost as much damage without heat.

Well, different strokes for different folks. I find the 6D-j.D etc. combo annoying to do because I only have about a 50% efficiency of doing it. The one I do I can seriously nail 95% of the time. That combo is not hard to time at all in my experience, I even find it easier than 5D dash cancel combos. Speaking of which, I can do 5D dash cancel combos in C rated connections. The timing is not strict at all. Again, this is just my experience with the game.

I'm still relatively in control after a ID+236C+214C. You pretty much land right on top of the guy, you can still keep the pressure going, maybe not as easily as a 22C but it's still possible. Even then though, Ragna's pressure is so grossly overrated something as simple as barrier blocking or just holding 7 can avoid it so I'm pretty much use to starting back at square one anyways.

However, I do use 22C combos, I know they're useful but I honestly ignore the 6D-j.D part and just dash in 5B-3C-22C after I RC a HF. Again, it's much more consistent for me to do and much easier to do (you'd have to be born without fingers/thumbs to fuck this up), not to mention it only deals a couple hundred less damage than the one everyone else seems to prefer and gives you the same exact benefits. Consistency is so important to me.

As for the 6B version of the combo I use, meh, 6B-5C-6C-GH-5B-6A-air combo is a pain in the ass to connect online thanks to having to delay the GH follow-up combined with input lag in general. If I try to go for the BK combo off of it my opponent usually bursts and then flat out avoids me. So, in the end I did nothing but hurt myself. BK is such a gamble, I rarely use it now. If I don't have the heat then I'll just do 6B>5C>6C>dash cancel>6A-air combo.

Besides, the combo I prefer is my favorite combo to do, waste of heat? Perhaps, but I don't consider it to be.

i dont think that its that bad (but then again i just started yesterday). It does damage and gain health. Maybe i need explanation of why it is bad, how is it compared to others??

The carnage scissors distortion drive....kinda pointless at best. Ragna's heat gauge is much better spent on rapid cancels and counters to get out of tough situations.

Really, i use that distortion drive the most, i actually use my heat meter mostly on this. BK i tend to stay away from until i know how to combo with Ragna better, I've used it only a couple times. And I was going to ask about the rapid cancel. What are they used for. My friend compared them to Focus Attacks in SF (sorry if you guys are buggin over the SF comparisons). Can someone give me a combo that implements the rapid cancel, i want to learn to use this, it looks very usefull

i dont think that its that bad (but then again i just started yesterday). It does damage and gain health. Maybe i need explanation of why it is bad, how is it compared to others??

Really, i use that distortion drive the most, i actually use my heat meter mostly on this. BK i tend to stay away from until i know how to combo with Ragna better, I've used it only a couple times. And I was going to ask about the rapid cancel. What are they used for. My friend compared them to Focus Attacks in SF (sorry if you guys are buggin over the SF comparisons). Can someone give me a combo that implements the rapid cancel, i want to learn to use this, it looks very usefull

In some ways I suppose it is similar to the focus attacks in SFIV; rapid cancels let you cancel out of moves back to a neutral position, so it comes in handy for some of ragna's combos (see the combo thread) or like I stated, if you find some of your attacks suddenly blocked. Inferno Divider for instance, if its blocked, it leaves you vulnerable, whereas a rapid cancel lets you cancel the animation and avoid any punishment you would have gotten had you let it go the whole way through

I see thanks for the help with rapid cancel guys. Here is another thing i need help with. Some people are in my face and i dont know what to do when i get rushed. What do some of you guys do when you are getting rushed, whats a good thing to do after you block a move? Also i play a friend and he used nu (doesnt use her regularly though). I cant get past those damned projectiles. I was also wondering if anyone could help me with getting ragna's story 100% completed as well, its bugging me so sorry if this is off topic. I have 81%. I have completed 3/4 of what i have to do. This is what i did so far 1. Choose second path, no DF 2. Choose 1st path, DF everyone but hakumen faced nu in the end 3. Choose 1st path, dont DF anyone, faced Noel ok so for the last one it said to defeat hakumen with an astral finisher, and i did. I didnt get a different ending. I faught nu after hakumen. can someone help me i dont know what to do. again thanks in advance guys

On pressure string, if u're not sure what the other guy doing, just barrier them out or u can IB something and 623c yourself out

For V-13 try -> http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6127 ... i usually using air dash, hell Fang or tkGH for approaching Nu, be careful when using those option thought, they can be your best friend and worst enemy at the same time

On pressure string, if u're not sure what the other guy doing, just barrier them out or u can IB something and 623c yourself out

For V-13 try -> http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6127 ... i usually using air dash, hell Fang or tkGH for approaching Nu, be careful when using those option thought, they can be your best friend and worst enemy at the same time

i see thanks for that. Also what is tkGH?

Make a checklist for story mode. Don't forget you also have to lose to them too.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/958721/56987

so i have to win and lose to

black noel

nu (v-13)

black ragna

and hukumen?

is there anyone else i have to lose to