Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damned Wolfe

[CS2] Ragna General Discussion

How do you Play Ragna?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How do you Play Ragna?

• Straight up Offense!
    • Bait in to Punish!
    • Defensive Punish!
    • Spam Hell's Fang and Inferno Divider moves!

Sometimes running in to 5B->5C->followup or even just j.C I feel I get stuffed way too many times. What is the best way to get into the fight? Also what is best string to keep someone pressured into the corner, I have a bad habit from playing Iori from KOF11 to do my j.c combo over and over again, sometimes my timing is off and I whiff from there recovery.

What I tend to do is if I don't land one of my pokes (5B or 5C in most cases) I'll just try to back off or RC right there (And either back off or try and keep pressuring) so I don't get stuffed. The best bet in my honest opinion is to just either wait for a whiffed attack, or other opening and THEN close in. Or you could always try to trick them with the huge ass range on 5C and get in that way (It's a great move to start a match off with, try it sometime, but don't overuse it). The thing is, what I see many people screwing up on as of late is doing Hell's Fang to end block strings. That is probably the absolute WORST thing you can do. If Hell's Fang is blocked, finished or not, you're going to get stuffed if you don't RC out of it. Make sure that you always end block strings with a Dead Spike or just RC to continue pressure. Don't get too predictable when you're pressuring your opponent, don't forget that you're not limited to attacking with your C and Drives, go low with punches and kicks if your opponent is blocking high (Don't always poke low with 2D, that gets REALLY predictable after awhile). Also, when your opponent blocks low, don't ALWAYS do Gauntlet Hades. Not only are you going to get punished to no end if they see it coming, but you might wind up getting frozen and combo'd for 1/2 your health, Tager Bustered or some similar ass rapeage. Don't forget though it has a slow start up 6B is a much easier overhead to continue pressuring with (IMO at least). 5D is special cancelable so if your opponent blocks the first strike it's usually best to cancel out with a Dead Spike right there, to avoid any sort of punishment (If you wait for the 2nd hit, Dead Spike might come out too late do to the start up). Hope that helps somewhat.

Another thing I might as well ask is, can I survive without any of Ragna's air combos? I tend to get to the :f::abt: part of the launch combo and i rarely get to hit them with :u::cbt: they usually just recover out, is this me not connecting in time or can they recover out of it?

That's you not connecting in time. You should jump -directly- out of the 6A cancellng out the animation, not wait for it to finish, then jump.

That would explain a lot. Also if I get a Counter hit with Hell's Fang can I dash in and do any combo?

you don't really have to dash in since you'll end up really close to them anyway. but yeah, go for any combo you're comfortable with.

You should be able to do that combo on all characters. I noticed it is a little easier to execute the second inferno divider if you wait for the opponent to drop a little lower (almost at ragna's level) before connecting with 5B. However, once you start getting used to doing 5b -> 623D quickly, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, once I got it the first time, it just started clicking better. Thanks.

I believe I have found something that can be useful. Ragna's j.B has a huge hitbox, which makes it a good cross-up. It also hits completely backwards. So you can dash jump over the opponent, then air dash backwards and do something like j.B, land, 2A...

Now, after 22C, you have plenty of time to move around, so while they are falling you can dash jump over, then air dash backwards for an ambiguous cross-up. You can time which side you'll be one and thus, which way j.B will hit. 66~9 and 66~8 work well, the latter catching quick risers. It doesn't seem too hard to modify for front roll, back roll yomi. As for quick recovery, I don't know.

I have only played training mode thus far, so I can't attest to how pragmatic this technique is. Either way, I'll use it sporadically 'cuz it looks stylish.

set your training mode to have the dummy recover from stuns before you start handing out strats ;( 22C can be teched, you don't get a year to fly around after it.

Bah, jiyuna just destroyed me in a ranked match. I really should go into training mode again some time and learn those relaunching combos.

Bah, jiyuna just destroyed me in a ranked match. I really should go into training mode again some time and learn those relaunching combos.

He beat me, too. I saved the replay. XD Lost 2-1, but I have a sneaky suspicion he let me have my one round.

But from fighting Jiyuna i've already been able to improve my own game immensely just from remembering some of the stuff he was pulling out. Namely, I can finally remember to poke low on most of my rushdown mixup and can do the relaunching ID combos. See, the problem with me most of the time is that I can remember the combos that I SHOULD be doing, but my body remembers the combos that get me stuffed (Like doing stupid things like ending block strings with Hell's Fang or some other inane shit). I'll just have to go into training mode until my body remembers the right stuff I guess.

heh i usually end strings in ranked matches with hells fang cuz scrub's can't punish it if they aren't a scrub i usually cut my bloc k strings hella short and cancel em with either a dead spike and continue or a 3C/6A and jump out

If i'm fighting someone who's a complete scrub i'll just delay the followup as long as possible, they're usually stupid enough to stop blocking and get hit straight into the corner on CH.

What I tend to do is if I don't land one of my pokes (5B or 5C in most cases) I'll just try to back off or RC right there (And either back off or try and keep pressuring) so I don't get stuffed. The best bet in my honest opinion is to just either wait for a whiffed attack, or other opening and THEN close in. Or you could always try to trick them with the huge ass range on 5C and get in that way (It's a great move to start a match off with, try it sometime, but don't overuse it).

The thing is, what I see many people screwing up on as of late is doing Hell's Fang to end block strings. That is probably the absolute WORST thing you can do. If Hell's Fang is blocked, finished or not, you're going to get stuffed if you don't RC out of it. Make sure that you always end block strings with a Dead Spike or just RC to continue pressure.

Don't get too predictable when you're pressuring your opponent, don't forget that you're not limited to attacking with your C and Drives, go low with punches and kicks if your opponent is blocking high (Don't always poke low with 2D, that gets REALLY predictable after awhile). Also, when your opponent blocks low, don't ALWAYS do Gauntlet Hades. Not only are you going to get punished to no end if they see it coming, but you might wind up getting frozen and combo'd for 1/2 your health, Tager Bustered or some similar ass rapeage. Don't forget though it has a slow start up 6B is a much easier overhead to continue pressuring with (IMO at least).

5D is special cancelable so if your opponent blocks the first strike it's usually best to cancel out with a Dead Spike right there, to avoid any sort of punishment (If you wait for the 2nd hit, Dead Spike might come out too late do to the start up).

Hope that helps somewhat.

Do not always end your strings into Dead Spike. The key to successful Ragna pressure (and this is only after you feel it's safe enough to do it) is to mix it up, which you even point out. Sometimes it's ok to end strings with moves that will leave you unsafe, or are slow on start-up (dead spike), you just have to know when it's ok to do it.

To the OP: Unless you're playing against someone you need to get into to win (Rachel/V-13/etc.), I usually start my rounds safe and go for CHs or punish whiffs. What you do from there depends on the character and the player you're playing against.

after CH hell's fang you have time to dash in and do 6D,jD, land, dash, 5B.... etc so there is definately time to combo almost any move after a counter hit

If you really are scoring a counter hit on Hell's Fang (And not doing the follow up) your opponent should easily be stunned long enough to start any combo, especially if you're doing 5B to start it.

at the start of a match i usually i start with gh inferno divider 0.o...i think lol

don't ALWAYS do Gauntlet Hades. Not only are you going to get punished to no end if they see it coming, but you might wind up getting frozen and combo'd for 1/2 your health, Tager Bustered or some similar ass rapeage. Don't forget though it has a slow start up 6B is a much easier overhead to continue pressuring with (IMO at least).

While you're right about not doing GH all the time, it's ridiculous to say GH has slow start-up. TK that shit and it's fucking blazing at 12 frames.