Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damned Wolfe

[CS2] Ragna General Discussion

How do you Play Ragna?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How do you Play Ragna?

• Straight up Offense!
    • Bait in to Punish!
    • Defensive Punish!
    • Spam Hell's Fang and Inferno Divider moves!

I remember people use to smash button crazy in the arcade playing MVC2, I know this is blazblu but they are both fast pace game, and ragna has aerial combo that is similar like that just wondering what is the verdict. Yes I found myself mashing even more playing online, dont know why. Maybe I need to calm myself down.

In general, as you get better at the game, you will not mash as much and will aim for more precise execution of your moves. However, there is "controlled mashing" at higher levels. This is where you double or triple input buttons in order to increase the likelihood that your move will execute, using techniques like drumming and double tapping. This isn't really mashing in the traditional sense, it's a controlled input technique. In BB it doesn't seem like it's really necessary. Inputs are held for up to 5 frames if you just hold the button down when you push it.

You can't really loop the 5D outside of Blood Kain. What you can do is something like, 3C-5D -> dash cancel, 6A-5D -> 214A~214D. Stuff like that, not really loops but some interesting juggles.

My bad it was a BK combo.

@Tsak: I can't follow up 5B with a small inferno divider because the opponent become out of reach. How can I connect?

Btw, how can I escape from jin's ice drive? Shaking the stick like crazy and mashing all the buttons does not do a thing and they follow me up with black beat combos.

For the inferno divider, try delaying the hits of all of the followups as long as possible. Also, the 5B has to come out very late, like VERY late. It should look like your opponent is just about to hit the ground, then 5B -> 6A -> Whatever them.

To add to what Titanium said: You'll see drumming and double tapping a lot in Street Fighter games (I don't play MvC so idk if its there also) for things like special moves or their supers. Since character's special moves such as fireballs and DP hardly change other than properties, drumming can insure that you get a special move off, such as at the end of a combo or on wake up. Supers (not Ultras in SFIV) are drummed too because they require a directional input + one of the attack buttons. Whether its punch or kick determines which buttons to drum. As Titanium also said this isn't used as much in BB because each character has a unique moveset that utilize each specific button for a specific move. EX. Ragna can ONLY do HF with A and D for the followup. Jin has his iceballs and ice car (pretty much most of his moves) using different buttons, but their properties per each specific button vary so which one to use needs to be considered and hardly drummed. Also (like Titanium said, again) inputs are held for up to 5 frames. Even if you wanted to drum Jin's moves.. the timing isn't super strict that you would have to.

^ I meant 3C->22C->5B->SID Here the small inferno divider is out of reach and can't be hit. The slow follow ups are for all the characters, no? Also the 5B before hitting the ground the 6A sometimes does not connect. Also what is better? 5C after the 5B or 6A?

For the mid-screen double 22C combo, you need to do 5B, 623D or dash 5A, 5B, 623C, just 5B, 623C on its own will always whiff because it doesn't have as large a hitbox. As for mid-air 5B, 6A (HJC) combos, they won't work against Rachel and Carl, and against some characters (although only Taokaka comes to mind), you'll want to dash before 5B. It's great damage when you start getting it right though.

^ I did 5B -> 623D and it did not count as a part of the combo, and I can seem to dash 5A. help? And yeah I noticed that with rachel you can only land j.C and a possible ID after the 6A, and the move will simply whiff if I wanted to continue it. Thanks btw.

Hey you live in Fremont? Do you know any arcade places that have BlazBlue around east bay? (I live in Hayward)

You seem to know a lot about Ragna... I'm new to BlazBlue and starting to learn the game by using Ragna.. so might need a lot of your help :)

I usually do A,B,C Hell's Fang, RC, Crouching A, Standing B, C, Hell's Fang, RC, Crouching A, Standing B,C,D then Gauntlet Hades. takes about 45-48% life. but its only for show,I don't think its worth 100% Heat just to do. :(

After some time of playing the mashing completely disappears. Also mashing in games like BB can sometimes really screw up the combo timings. Only game I mash in is SF4 when I want to cancel the shoryuken to a shinku hadouken, or when someone is poking me and I wait for his mistake while mashing shoryuken to punish him.

Holding down B will help since the game holds inputs for up to 5 frames if you hold the button down. You want to slide input the C after the B. You'll want to do it as fast as possible at first, but I'm going to experiment with how late I can do it, since the later you kara the 5B, the more range you gain.

And yes, doing kara throw adds startup time to your throw. The usefulness of it is questionable, seeing as throws seem to serve a different purpose in BB compared to other games.

The difference between a kara cancel on frames 1 and 2 is striking. Doing it on frame 2 covers about double the distance. Visually, at least.

I believe that its usefulness isn't dubious. It's a good tool to have in range specific set-ups, and when dashing where the additional input time is practically irrelevant.

for (crouching opponent only) ..., 5C, 6C, 214B -> delay 214D, 5B, 6A (JC/HJC), air combo - Damage: 4600~ and the 4B+C 214B -> delay 214D 5B 6A air combo, combos, i'm having an immense amount of trouble linking the 5b as well as the 6a if i manage to connect the 5b, i'm not sure where i'm going wrong, i may be misjudging how long i can delay the 214d, but it seems as thought if i try to delay it any longer than i am, i just land on the ground without being able to get the 214d in. Any suggestions as to what to look for or timing wise?

um something i noticed in a match vs reaVer BK + Carnage Scissor does Carnage Scissor move any faster and/or cover more distance? i seemingly went fullscreen and stuffed a shippu before it could come out We activated our supers probably at the same time but his was just a tad bit faster (his super screen flashed first) yeah it also won match bwahahahaha

I have been practicing for 2 days for 5-6 hrs how to do the 5B 5C 5D (2hit) dc, 6a , jc - inferno divida combo. I broke down the combo in small little parts and now I can do all the parts except the 5D (2 hit) dc, 6a part. I donno if my 6a was coming out too slow or I wasnt dash cancel fast enough. Sometimes I dash cancel too fast and it cancel on the 1st of 5D, is there any visual clue when to dash cancel. Because I either find myself dash cancel on the 1st hit of 5D or I dash cancel on 2nd hit and the 6a wont connects or it connects but the combo counter turns dim meaning computer can tech out of it.

i usually dash cancel when i see the opponent's body bounce really the timing on it aint so strick since the game lets you hold inputs for like 5 frames you shouldn't have a problem with it i guess ur just terrible at it >_>

listen to ragna his pent up rage scream could be a visual Q_Q when to dash most of the time the only problem i got with this combo is not getting the 6A to come out at all cuz i do it too early during the dash and it just doesn't come out so i just mash 66666666 while im dashing like a champ and it usually works

I know what you mean, when I spam 6666aaa and mash like a champ it can come out flawlessly, but when I try to do that online I find it too unreliable under pressure. I am trying to figure out how to do it properly and consistently without mashing.

well for one online is a different story combos don't seem to be working isn't you messin up your timing its input lag whole different story get it down in training mode first, then start online

I don't think it starts up any faster, but the Blood Kain version does have more invulnerability, if that solves anything. I'm pretty sure Carnage Scissor is flat out faster anyway, irregardless of the distance it needs to cover.

All I can really say is do 214B as early as possible and 214D as late as possible. Also, if you want to get 6A to connect after 5B, you'll want to wait slightly for the opponent to drop further (as counter-intuitive as it may sound, 6A has a much better lower hitbox than it looks). Hitting the opponent too high with the 5B will make the 6A whiff.

i guess i'll i have to practice the 214b/d timings then so i can hit 5b lower without recovery, thanks.

I'm having trouble with the following combo 5B -> 6A -> 5C -> 5D (Special Cancel After first hit) -> GH -> 5C -> j.B -> j.C -> JC -> j.C -> j.D -> ID (D) -> 236C -> 214 C After GH the 5C doesn't connect. Do I have to delay Gauntlet Hades?

Yeah, delay GH. You can pretty much eyeball it and know if you're gonna get 5C or not, because Ragna's foot should be pretty close to the ground when you execute the move. The timing on 5C is a bit tight, but if you're close to the window and just hold down the button, you'll get it almost everytime. The only thing that actually throws me off is the jump cancel'd B at this point, but I can get it pretty consistently.

The timing for it, you trying it online or in training? Online I can NEVER do the 5D->DC->6A because of the lag. In training and vs all I could say is as soon as the second hit connects dash cancel, wait a bit until you see ragna stops his animation (or see when specifically you can attack), then do the 6A. To know you are timing it correctly you can even do a carnage scissor special after the dash cancel. It is really strange that after 5-6 hours of training you can't connect it =/