Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tigre

[UNIEL] Orie Matchups Discussion

Not sure where you're having issues against Chaos. There was a general write up VS Vatista a few posts up.

Against Merkava, it's actually not too bad. Orie's got good ranged options, a nice anti-air, and fast movement, so she can deal with many of Merkava's more irritating options reasonably well. Merkava also has no real answer to good 22X oki and Orie has pretty solid pressure options. Where are you having problems?

Um...I just started with her. I must have missed the writeup with Chaos. I know he may be easy but I fought a really good one and got manhandled.

With Merkava, I am not sure on how to punish a good one or approach him.

I guess I'll have to do some reading.

With merkava at least, I play very defensively since he wins neutral, you force him to make mistakes and capitalize, once you get the knockdown you can go all out offensive and start your pressure. 3B is your best friend in this matchup and will blow him up for free if he tries to fight you air to ground.

Probably worth mentioning that, as Orie, whenever you aren't sure how to approach or deal with a situation, it's not a bad idea to back off and fight for vorpal. Orie gets a lot of benefits from having vorpal, from the easy approaches and confirms to free meter and so-on. It's pretty huge for her.

Like Cydra said, in Orie vs Merkava, you'll probably be blocking (or dash blocking) at most ranges. All of the good answers Orie has to Merkava's options are best at close range. Dashing under 3C, anti-airing flight (3B, 623A/B), etc. are all more effective at closer ranges. :P

Pressure is very straightforward, though.

On 7/14/2016 at 4:20 PM, Hakkai_Requiem said:

Just starting with the game and it's my first time playing a rushdown character too. How do you get in against pure zoners? I'm struggling against Hilda

Very late response, but you generally just have to respect their pressure and dash-block in between moves to get closer.

In addition to that, you should also shield their blockstrings to gain GRD and take vorpal cycles, both to give yourself some more options and to deny them any easy confirms/mixups/safe blockstrings/etc.

Outside of those two tidbits, there's not much else beyond making hard call-outs and jumping/dashing/etc. around or under what the other player is doing. This is obviously quite unsafe, since it's done based on a read.