Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

King of Fighters (TBA)

Daisuke Ishiwatari worked on the original Last Blade, true, he didn't do anything nearly as glamorous as his roles over at ARC (pretty sure he did concept art and worked on backgrounds) but as you said he was still pretty green at the time.

Sorry but no, Ishiwatari didn't work on Last Blade 2.  The time table was too tight for that.

Daisuke has been working with ARC System Works since 1995.

you know that last blade was in planning and concept before the first samurai shodown came out, right? In the same fashion that Xrd was in planning/concept since 2008 . Fighting games aren't maked in one day at all.

And it's well know that Daisuke worked in LB 1 , he is listed as the designer for Yuki and Shinkyo stages.

orzzx9qz205m0oyfg.jpg?size_id=3

Lbyukiintro.gif

Lbyukibg.gif

Lbshikyohintro.gif

Lbshikyohbg.gif

And that ASW was in good realtions with SNK at the time, enought for ASW to put Billy Kane at the background of AXL stage in the first GG.

No, someone NAMED Daisuke worked on them.  There is no confirmation on his last name.

Also, in the first Guilty Gear (back in 1998, LB2 came out 7 months later), Daisuke Ishiwatari lists his FULL name if that tells you the difference in production work values between SNK and ARC System Works.

Also there was an old interview (I'd have to dig it out somewhere) with Daisuke that at one point outright denied he had any connection to Shin Nihon Kikaku (New Japan Project).

On top of that, like I said, Daisuke Ishiwatari (his FULL NAME) was credited for working on Exector, an ARC System Works game way back in 1995, so again it's a MYTH.

Edit: And in case you're STILL not convinced.  Daisuke's mostly a concept design artist and illustrator (not to mention music composer/writer), he NEVER gets credited for sprites and background sprite work (that's someone else's job at ARCSys).... in fact I have yet to see him get credited for the same things this "Daisuke" was credited for in his own games.

Also Daisuke had little to do with most of the Guilty Gear games at large after #Reload up until GG2 Overture.  He had absolutely nothing to do with Sengoku x Basara, Hokuto no Ken, Persona 4 Arena Series and I think only lent out his voice as Freed in Battle Fantasia.

Also the only reason Axl Low references Billy Kane and King of Fighters is because of Keiichi Nanba who voiced Billy Kane.  It was a nod to him.

I think only lent out his voice as Freed in Battle Fantasia.

Holy crap no wonder Freed is my favorite character in BF. I never drew the voice before.

*sigh* I wanted to hope . . . I wanted to believe . . . I want to cry . . .

So [at least for the time being] it seems that SNK is not using all of their new hires and CG animators to make a new King of Fighters . . . fighter . . . Much like the hyper detailed Fatal Fury pachislot game that reimagined and retold the story of those games, SNK is doing the same with the KoF series, bringing us CR King of Fighters [i assume CR = Coin/Chance Rush] which will retell the Orochi saga in new 3D graphics through pachisot gameplay Q.Q

Promotional video

I think I'm most disappointed by the fact that this will be region locked on phones like the Fatal Fury pachislot once it is released, and it won't receive any sort of [official] English localization, so I can't even enjoy this game I didn't ask for orz

SNK has broken their habit of bankruptcy and reformation. They now stand outside the cycle of life and death, but as a strange existence. A weird thing they have become. They breathe, but there is no life in their breath. They move, but there is no substance in their form.

A bizarre thing they have become.

You know how there's that one kid you knew in school who was always getting into trouble but everyone liked to hang out with, and then you graduate and the next time you see him he's married with a family and doing well for himself but he's all mellowed out and boring now?  SNK is that kid to the FGC D:

Y'all a bunch of whiny, overreacting hipsters.

This has no bearing on KOF XIV. SNKP has a separate dev team for pachinko. A new pachislot doesn't mean they've suddenly abandoned console/PC development forever.

You can assume the game is still in the oven until it gets canceled.

I'm a hipster because I think SNK is boring now.  Sure, okay.  Maybe you should take a look at my post again and try to gleam the context from it, as difficult as you may find that.

You're a hipster because you still can't get the hell over the fact that SNKP has given up on trying to build their business model on catering to the fickle whims of their aging, dwindling old-school fanbase. No one gives a shit about KOF anymore, except for some random Mexicans, Brazilians and Chinese who only ever played pirated versions of SNK's games anyway and are impossible to market to. I don't like it either, but it's capitalism in action, and if not for pachislots and mobile they'd definitely have gone bankrupt again years ago. KOFs XII and XIII were a tremendous financial and managerial investment for a company of their size, one that nearly crippled them for good. Even after that, they'll still throw a bone to their old guard following now and then, though -- I don't suppose the Steam releases of UM 98FE and 2002 count for anything by your standards, huh?

SNKP ended support for the Neo-Geo in 2004, and for the Atomiswave in 2006. Everyone should have already finished their mourning then.

I never said they had to stop doing pachinko games.  Pachinko games are an insane source of income and nearly every big Japanese dev does it.  I'm saying that they've been releasing so many titles on pachinko and mobile, most of which are just based on old assets anyway, that they've become boring and complacent.  As well as MOST devs release 1 or 2 "major" titles to keep themselves relevant.  If I was a hipster I would be content with SNK staying niche and not mainstream, which is the exact opposite of what I want.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  At all.  

Even if the KOF series is done for the time being, at least it isn't like the franchise died young. We have no fewer than four titles (XI, XIII, 98, and 2002:UM) that are all considered genre staples, offer a unique experience, and are viable in tournament play. Very few 2D fighting game franchises can boast those numbers. If we have to keep playing those games while SNK rides the Pachinko train for a few more years, I'm personally fine with that.

Wasn't exactly hyped about the new game being 3D anyway, if I'm being totally honest.