Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tronotron

Please explain Astral Finish?

Hey all, so I recently started playing BBCP online....   Apart from the matchmaking being apparently broken, I don't get what the story with Astral Finish is.... At least half of the matches I've played recently have ended with me being defeated with an Astral Finish.... It seems that a lot of players resort to that when they can't just steamroll through the fight with their combos.  I don't even know how to pull off an AF (I play Hakumen) and it seems unblockable/ undodgeable. . . I don't see any in-game explanation.  Seems like a really cheap mechanic that takes the fun out of the game. . .

Thanks

Here's the wiki page for those: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Offense_(BBCP)#Astral_Finish

Astrals are basically the critical finishers of BlazBlue, you can go for an Astral if you meet the conditions (see wiki). However it depends on the character how easy it is to connect, some characters can combo to their Astrals whereas others can't. Hakumen's Astral for example is a counter move much like his drive moves and Yukikaze. It's in the very bottom of a character's move list.

Most of them you can block but since it costs 100 heat and puts the user in a punishable spot, people generally try to combo into them, guaranteeing their success. Some of them (for example Relius' and Tager's) are grabs so you'll have to escape them some other way, like jumping or backdashing, even though it's possible to combo into those too since they ("Astral grabs") can't be broken.

The way I see Astral Finishes, they're really just a Mortal Kombat Fatality, with some slight battle application. All the Arcsys fighters feature them, but the ones with any real battle application are P4A's which let you do them so long as you have 100% meter and your persona available when you win a round, or Guilty Gear's which can be activated at anytime on any round. Like Verimeloni said, they're all extremely risky to perform, but it's just a way flashy way to finish an opponent off. A little cutscene to enjoy, that's all.

The way I see Astral Finishes, they're really just a Mortal Kombat Fatality, with some slight battle application. All the Arcsys fighters feature them, but the ones with any real battle application are P4A's which let you do them so long as you have 100% meter and your persona available when you win a round, or Guilty Gear's which can be activated at anytime on any round. Like Verimeloni said, they're all extremely risky to perform, but it's just a way flashy way to finish an opponent off. A little cutscene to enjoy, that's all.

In P4U mostof the Instant Kills are too slow to be practical, with the exception of some: Mitsuru(fullscreen, can be blocked), Yukiko(fullscreen, air-unblockable) and Akihiko (Cesar sucks you into his "world", it's unblockable but is a projectile, so some characters can evade it like Yosuke with his 236AB).

And in the case of BBCP: Terumi is the characters that uses AH the most, because of his ridiculous heat gain and that he can make it from a lot of things, getting a garanteed finisher of the match (mostly if the other enders can't do enough damage to kill in that combo).

Hey all, so I recently started playing BBCP online....   Apart from the matchmaking being apparently broken, I don't get what the story with Astral Finish is.... At least half of the matches I've played recently have ended with me being defeated with an Astral Finish.... It seems that a lot of players resort to that when they can't just steamroll through the fight with their combos.  I don't even know how to pull off an AF (I play Hakumen) and it seems unblockable/ undodgeable. . . I don't see any in-game explanation.  Seems like a really cheap mechanic that takes the fun out of the game. . .

Thanks

I don't know about a cheap mechanic.  I think people are just trying to style on you TBH.  Don't take it personal though, I think everyone goes for an AF if they have the chance (Lord knows I do).  To answer your question, most are blockable/avoidable, and most have to be combo'ed in to, with certain exceptions (Arakune, Tager, Nu, and Bang come to mind, as they are either terrible or command grabs).

I don't know about a cheap mechanic.  I think people are just trying to style on you TBH.  Don't take it personal though, I think everyone goes for an AF if they have the chance (Lord knows I do).  To answer your question, most are blockable/avoidable, and most have to be combo'ed in to, with certain exceptions (Arakune, Tager, Nu, and Bang come to mind, as they are either terrible or command grabs).

Pretty sure nu's was changed to a hit since CP 1.1

Thanks

Matchmaking isn't broken. There just aren't the kind of players you're looking for on when you go to play. The game can't spontaneously produce another player at your level that isn't online.

Astrals are meant to be hype match enders. They have a practical use, in that you can instantly end a match once you use it so the other player doesn't have a chance to make a comeback. Most people just use it for fun though.

Hakumen's AF is one of the hardest to use, because it's not an attack. It's a counter. They have to attack into it for it to work.

ASTRAL finishes being used practically lol... wait a minute oh yea we have terumi and azrael

-.-

ASTRAL finishes being used practically lol... wait a minute oh yea we have terumi and azrael

-.-

Pretty much any character that can combo into them can use them to end the match so you can't burst or make a runback.

They're at 35%? Throw > astral, GG.

It looks cheap but you have to think about the conditions needed to get an Astral Finish:

1. Requires 100 Heat.

2. Opponent needs to at 35% or less health BEFORE you combo into it. Doing a combo that lowers your opponent to 35% or less will not allow you to Astral; you need to do the combo when they are at that health requirement.

3. Can only be used match point.

#3 isn't exactly a tough requirement but #1 and #2 makes Astrals pretty balanced and difficult to execute consistently. Meter is a very strong resource, offensively or defensively, so you're either gimping yourself by intentionally saving it for Astral (which can lead into bad situations) or you're never in a position to really use it. At that health requirement, many characters are capable of dealing 35% of one's health with 100 meter, even potentially less meter, which makes Astral even less appealing in high stakes matches.

On the flip side, some characters have Astrals that are very easy to confirm into (Izayoi is a good example) so it's a safe way to finish the game if you happen to have the resources. But for the most part, you're not going to see Astrals commonly unless the opponent is severely ahead of you, in which case an Astral isn't exactly any worse than your opponent having access to 100 meter.

besides certain situations if the foe is using it, they have a complete lack of respect for you or the matches and are itching for some hatemail. so give it to them. with 100 heat most of the cast is able to kill with the heat. so feel free to let them know you know where they live.

That's not really a good way to look at it. Most people I know go for it no matter what if they can, it has nothing to do with the opponent.

I have a dark sense of humor. merely a joke. I know several people who do this as well, and in a higher level I find it sort of silly tbh, due to the associated risks.

while some people may indeed have a lack of respect, or so they may think, they are most likely in the minority. please ignore my ramblings. I probably should have added that I wasn't serious.

kicking the router is worse than being astraled. now that, is disrespect.

Stopping myself from trying to astral my opponent is like trying to handle a raging boner in public.

Stopping myself from trying to astral my opponent is like trying to handle a raging boner in public.

wwhat is it with you and boners?...

Most of them you can block but since it costs 100 heat and puts the user in a punishable spot, people generally try to combo into them, guaranteeing their success. Some of them (for example Relius' and Tager's) are grabs so you'll have to escape them some other way, like jumping or backdashing, even though it's possible to combo into those too since they ("Astral grabs") can't be broken.

Relius's is not a grab, it's a hit.  Tager's is a hit too albeit an unblockable one.

It still sucks.

Break yo self.

But yeah, astral finishes are pretty much fatalities you can use with the right conditions, and they're generally super flashy so a lot of people are going to try to do them to you whenever possible. I know I certainly will, and I expect anyone else to do the same.

I certainly as hell will astral. If you got combo'd into astral, chances are you could've been combo'd into a DD RC or double DD ender for the kill anyways, so makin it flashy with an astral makes it both simpler and more awesome. Reversal astrals you can bait in a similar manner as regular dp's, cept maybe Relius' because if the autoguard on ignis' body. But anyway, I dunno how you can call a round finishing move cheap when it can only be used when you wouls normally finish a round.