VR-Raiden

[P4AU] Ken Amada Q&A/FAQ Thread

• Have a question regarding Ken? Feel free to ask in this thread for an answer!
  • This first post will be updated with a FAQ section once more info is available to help prevent redundant questions.
  • Before asking a question, please take a moment to see if you can find the answer in the below FAQ or on the Dustloop Ken Amada Wiki.
Edited by VR-Raiden

What is the difference between his S-Hold special and inputting the 214A+B command? (Sorry can't test things for a bit)

The regular 214A+B heals a bit more since you're using meter while the S-Hold version uses the regular 214A.

Do you really need an arcade stick to play Ken? I tried to play on dualshock and it seems rly uncomfortable, I can only perform very basic combos (because you have to input doge moves while doing Ken moves)

Do you really need an arcade stick to play Ken? I tried to play on dualshock and it seems rly uncomfortable, I can only perform very basic combos (because you have to input doge moves while doing Ken moves)

Why don't you try mapping C and D to L1 and R1 or R1 and R2 to see if that helps. Should be easier for pressing ken and dogs attacks at the same time or where you plink them

What are all the properties of ex 236A+B?

Slightly slower than A version (Ken 5A clash > neutral jump > 236A vs 236A+B upon landing, 236A won). Faster than B version.

More hitstun than either version (236A+B > 5A combos on normal hit).

Significantly plus on block (jump height test).

How exactly does the increased damage on the 236236C/D super work?

I tested all versions since I wasn't sure either myself.

C version is always 1 hit at 1800 damage.

D version is more hits depending on how close to Koromaru they are. Minimum of 2 hits at 1500 damage, max of 10 at 3250 damage (wow).

EX version is like D version but recovers much faster.

All versions seem to have the same startup.

I tested all versions since I wasn't sure either myself.C version is always 1 hit at 1800 damage.D version is more hits depending on how close to Koromaru they are. Minimum of 2 hits at 1500 damage, max of 10 at 3250 damage (wow).EX version is like D version but recovers much faster.All versions seem to have the same startup.

I'll update the wiki, then. I tested D version several times but maxed at six hits. Must have forgotten to check after I figured out the optimal positioning.

I know 9:02 AM mentioned preliminary calculations for his supers but has anyone found the numbers? He has some crazy-fast supers, and if you OMC on hit, you can do some ridiculous things.

As an aside, Thunder Reign and Fire Breath can both be batted back by Junpei.

ETA: Wiki now updated. Wonder what the landing recovery for air versions is. (There has to be some, unless we're P4A Shabrys....)

I'll update the wiki, then. I tested D version several times but maxed at six hits. Must have forgotten to check after I figured out the optimal positioning.

I was getting 6 til I positioned them literally on top of Koromaru, it's a pretty small area that gets the full 10 hits. It's interesting, wonder if it's applicable somewhere.

I was getting 6 til I positioned them literally on top of Koromaru, it's a pretty small area that gets the full 10 hits. It's interesting, wonder if it's applicable somewhere.

Yeah, I checked the notes I posted for my damage test on his supers -- the only way I got all hits on SB was by having Koromaru's head between Yosuke's legs, so, yeah, you need Koromaru to be overlapping the opponent at the move's start, and no one is going to let you walk up and super them. I remember going crazy trying to confirm how many hits D had... and I was still wrong! Stupid kid and his meddling dog....

I can think of possible options for "Koromaru move to position > super for crazy damage" but I need to lab them to see if it's possible to buffer the super during a Koro special and keep the opponent from teching in time to roll, guard, etc. Might be possible to add the super for damage to long-range conversions or use it as an option for combos that make it difficult for Thunder Reign to hit. (Is it me or does that thing have a funky hitbox?) Or if you don't want to take the risk on Thunder Reign, because, ouch, Fatal.

I was able to set up an ambiguous crossup where the super hits fully (or at least it did over 3k damage, didn't look at the number of hits) but it definitely wasn't practical because people could just DP it or whatever on reaction. I wasn't able to combo it into hitting like that, but I didn't try for very long.

After seeing more Shadow Ken it's probably mainly useful for his combos, not so much regular as far as I can tell.

Can anyone check, or if you already know, is it possible to roll 236236A/A+B after flash?

EDIT:

You can roll 236236A/A+B. If you aren't close enough you end up getting hit behind Ken though.

Soo what's with Ken & Koro's round win/lose announcement being switched to Margaret's in this latest patch?

Not even relevant to actual gameplay, just wanted to point it out since ArcSys should fix this :0

Nah it doesn't do this with any of the other characters in my game. When playing either Ken or Shadow Ken against any character the game announcer states his name as Margaret. This happens on local & net play, not sure why.

Not sure if this has been covered or not but what is Ken's damage when it comes to combos? I've seen some videos and they seem lower than the other characters? Or maybe that's just me.

His damage is actually pretty good I think, he gets good meterless damage. But more so when Koromaru is available, so that has to be taken into account. Koromaru may not necessarily be in position when you need him for the higher damage routes.

Question: How should I go about Anti-Airing opponents? 2C seems to be an alright option, but that isn't always available and I personally question 2B as an AA. Should I just do j.A and make it an Air-to-Air situation or what?

Ken anti-airs are unfortunately very situational...

2B is indeed questionable and not useful in every situation yet there are some simple jump-ins that will die to 2B.

2C is good because there's no commitment from Ken but the timing is tricky due to Koro distance and Koro can whiff in some situations.

j.A is really good because of it's hitbox and active frames but sometimes it's just too slow to get the jump in there or it's really not a good angle for it.

DP is another option sometimes against jump-ins with good priority but the horizontal range is terrible and it's obviously unsafe.

Ken's anti-airs are situational >__>

Finally got the game, combos were fairly simple to pick up for me, but does Ken have a staple pressure move (not a Koro move)? Somethin akin to Relius' 3C that just makes everything feel right?

^This would be either 2A or his sweep. 5A & j.B are obvs his other pressure tools. Not really staple pressure in a way like Relius's but it is what it is.

Finally got the game, combos were fairly simple to pick up for me, but does Ken have a staple pressure move (not a Koro move)? Somethin akin to Relius' 3C that just makes everything feel right?

His 5A is his only jump cancelable move so that might be what you are thinking of, especially if you're comparing it to Relius 3C where you can just jump cancel into a mixup while the doll covers you.

Unfortunately nothing actually chains into 5A so you have to get used to using the dog to do a pressure reset (i.e. 5a 5b 236b 2c 5a JC > mixup) which is at least made easier by the fact that Koromaru isn't limited by a usage gauge like Relius is.