VR-Raiden

[P4AU] Ken Amada Q&A/FAQ Thread

Is Ken's 5A any good for stagger pressure then? Pretty much a way thats not necessarily gapless but solid enough, like 5A(214C)>5A>mixup? Or is this kinda bad.

Use 2A for that, it's +1.

Is Ken's 5A any good for stagger pressure then? Pretty much a way thats not necessarily gapless but solid enough, like 5A(214C)>5A>mixup? Or is this kinda bad.

-3 so you could in theory.

As a Chie player, how do I NOT get destroyed in footsies against Ken? There's nothing to me that's as obvious a punish as "Evasive Action this, low profile that, punish that." Everything looks safe from the Chie perspective.

I'm getting mauled here. Hitbox against hitbox won't work, all I can do to get in are IAD and playing j.C anti-air bait punishes. Help me.

Also, in say a situation where Ken ends a blockstring into Gigantic Impact into Korumaru attacking to stop me from hitting the persona, can I make Ken pay for that in any way besides waiting and hitting Korumaru for a little?

As a Chie player, how do I NOT get destroyed in footsies against Ken? There's nothing to me that's as obvious a punish as "Evasive Action this, low profile that, punish that." Everything looks safe from the Chie perspective.

I'm getting mauled here. Hitbox against hitbox won't work, all I can do to get in are IAD and playing j.C anti-air bait punishes. Help me.

Also, in say a situation where Ken ends a blockstring into Gigantic Impact into Korumaru attacking to stop me from hitting the persona, can I make Ken pay for that in any way besides waiting and hitting Korumaru for a little?

Post in the match up thread.

Match up sucks for chie.

Best way to deal with Ken is to knock down dog and proceed from there.

If you can put the pressure on Ken then the dog can't hit you, problem is honestly neutral.

Last bit respect Ken when he does gigantic impact, chie has no answers for it.

Probably not a bad idea to ask in the matchups discussion for Chie, yeah.  I can tell you that you can roll both the spear pull and the Gigantic Attack, if that is helpful, and if Ken does B pull or B Gigantic, you should have plenty of time to punish him if he doesn't immediately cover with Koromaru, who will most likely already have been committed to another action.  Strictly speaking though there's no guaranteed punish vs. Ken unless Koro is disabled since outside of certain move recoveries (DP, AOA, hop/roll, etc.) he can pretty much always use Koro to cover his unsafe moves.

Resurrecting this thread.

If you post here I will answer questions to the best of my ability.

In an attempt to resurrect the thread and make information available:

• What are Ken's infinite blockstrings? I'd like to see if they're escapable.
  • After 2A > 2B(1) > 5B, what are your preferred strings for pressure? For mix-up?
  • What do you think are the biggest differences between American and Japanese Ken players? Do you think we can close the gap?
  • 2.0 J.A WHEEEEEN I WANT IT NOW

In an attempt to resurrect the thread and make information available:

• What are Ken's infinite blockstrings? I'd like to see if they're escapable.
  • After 2A > 2B(1) > 5B, what are your preferred strings for pressure? For mix-up?
  • What do you think are the biggest differences between American and Japanese Ken players? Do you think we can close the gap?
  • 2.0 J.A WHEEEEEN I WANT IT NOW

Ken has 2 known infinite blockstrings.

2A > 2B(1) > 2C short hop j.B > 2C > land 2A > repeat

2A > 2B > 2C > 236B > 2C > dash 2A > repeat

The former is actually quite difficult to do.

2nd question?

Hmm I don't use this string a lot but I usually use these things after 5B/2B

sweep:Anti roll string, your opponent rolls and you get a 2A/grab punish

5C: It keeps me from getting hit by supers

2C: I am expecting a jump out so I wish to keep them blocking with this.

236C/D: allows me to go for high/low or at least close the gap

214CD: 25 bar for a mix up, beware of guard cancel roll if you choose to air dash j.A

3rd question:

JP Kens are a lot more aggressive and very consistent..

American Ken's are really passive/defensive and most of them don't know any of the optimal confirms.

Closing the gap is gonna be hard but its doable.

i personally don't feel too far behind japanese Kens.

last question.

I am excited for j.A and auto combo changes.

I can imagine how evil heal knockdown is gonna be. 

I'm resurrecting this thread for now
So, any idea for margaret MU? Aside from calling back koro and being careful on neutral. Seems you can also IB some of her stuff and use evasive action after that, it gives you some good moments to punish her

Edited by Hyderu

I think we should forward this to the matchup thread, but in any case I feel the matchup is more even than it appears in my opinion.

You can keep her blocking indefinitely (even more so than usual), and Koro is good at swatting her for trying iceball zoning.

Sweep > special cancel > C Divine Vacuum auto-kills the dog but you can call that out with IAD j.B very easily. Sweep is still good to keep Koro down, that's usually what I do if I know the Ken is going to attempt offscreen 2C but it's still slow.

236D also autokills the dog if it hits first but Koro 5C can actually break it and leave Margaret in the entire animation. Charge Thrust should be able to break the persona (maybe even hit her) if she's anywhere but fullscreen. If you have to block it, instant blocking the many hits of its active frames are good to build meter. When the move is completed you do 5A > jump cancel (probably even better that you can send Koro as well). Autopilot 236D in blockstrings can be rolled (as long you're not Kanji). If she's close enough, you can Guard Cancel Evasive Action if you happened to block it.

She can zone and make it where Ken has to think a bit about dog shenanigans but not as badly as we initially thought.

Be aware that when she has meter, Power Slash is a great way to punish standard strings into Gigantic Impact if she instant blocks appropriately. Plus the active frames of the already sun-sized hitbox will last longer after hitting your persona.

When she's on offense, if they're autopiloting slow moves up close such as 2C, spear, sweep, God Hand, iceball spam and you have good reason to think so, Evasive Action is a good idea in that case. Just be wary if she demonstrates that she can punish your rolls, if she introduces lows in her blockstrings or end them prematurely to counterhit the recovery. And as you already know Ken DP is an invitation to death although you can get lucky and hit a persona so you can special cancel Fire Breath from the atmosphere (lol)

I guess watch Chou vs Tahichi since that's probably the only consistent footage of this matchup at high-level. Hope this helped for a small blurb.

Edited by Fortune

5C and 214X also go over sweep if the Marge thinks she's being clever by mashing sweep at fullscreen. Just get Koro off the ground and IAD or roll the sweep and punish.

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk