VR-Raiden

[P4AU] Ken Amada Critique Thread

• Looking to improve your Ken? Post match footage of yourself in this thread for feedback from other Ken players.

Dropped tons of stuff.

I come in on the 40minute mark.

http://www.twitch.tv/addmitt/c/5161229

Your conversions were solid enough, despite the drops. One thing I noted though is that you did a lot of 2C in your pressure, which while good, doesn't cover the massive gap before 236A/B that can be rolled pretty safely. It's fine for now when people don't know about it, but it might be smart to also consider using 236C/D more, as well as 214C/D if they like to IAD over it on start up.

Edit: On that note, I suppose you could also delay 2C slightly to catch rolls, but it seems like it'd require somewhat weird timing? Plus, conversions off of 236C/D are easier, so....

Your conversions were solid enough, despite the drops. One thing I noted though is that you did a lot of 2C in your pressure, which while good, doesn't cover the massive gap before 236A/B that can be rolled pretty safely. It's fine for now when people don't know about it, but it might be smart to also consider using 236C/D more, as well as 214C/D if they like to IAD over it on start up.

Edit: On that note, I suppose you could also delay 2C slightly to catch rolls, but it seems like it'd require somewhat weird timing? Plus, conversions off of 236C/D are easier, so....

2C > 236B is usually air tight if you do 2C at the end of 236B it becomes a string your opponent has a hard time dealing with, the real problem is timing the dog to make stuff like 2B > 2C > 236B to be air tight.

also dog is like +23 236A has like 17F startup, they only can roll if I mess up the 2C timing.

biggest problems I am going through is conversions and tightening up my strings.

Now something to really be wary of is guard cancel roll.

I can get blown up for that.

2C > 236B is usually air tight if you do 2C at the end of 236B it becomes a string your opponent has a hard time dealing with, the real problem is timing the dog to make stuff like 2B > 2C > 236B to be air tight.

also dog is like +23 236A has like 17F startup, they only can roll if I mess up the 2C timing.

biggest problems I am going through is conversions and tightening up my strings.

Now something to really be wary of is guard cancel roll.

I can get blown up for that.

Hrm, I see. So use the 2C to make them respect 236A instead of just 5B>236A. I like it. 

I found the stream archives for the last two tourneys I got bodied in.

http://www.twitch.tv/radioinfluencedotcom/c/5328595 @ start onwards

http://www.twitch.tv/radioinfluencedotcom/c/5328612 @ 5:00 onwards

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/581816494 @ 23:00.

Any constructive feedback other than "lrn2block lol" and "stop dropping shit scrub" would be great.  I already know I do 5B > 236X too much, I've been working on that lately.

I found the stream archives for the last two tourneys I got bodied in.

http://www.twitch.tv/radioinfluencedotcom/c/5328595 @ start onwards

http://www.twitch.tv/radioinfluencedotcom/c/5328612 @ 5:00 onwards

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/581816494 @ 23:00.

Any constructive feedback other than "lrn2block lol" and "stop dropping shit scrub" would be great.  I already know I do 5B > 236X too much, I've been working on that lately.

Sorry it took so long to get a reply you've probably already corrected these problems by now. In the first match you were using 236B in your blockstrings, that can be rolled on reaction so if you do it I suggest having Koromaru do something either before or during the 236B so you can cover yourself. Also characters like Naoto can just DP that and not have to worry about Koromaru at all. So I'd say in this regard do tighter blockstrings.

In the second video against grover you did 214A without sending out koromaru to cover yourself. In general using media at close-range is a bad idea imo, especially against shadow characters because.......well you saw what happened. Also again with the tighter blockstrings being a necessity with Ken, in the second match grover was even able to use Ziodyne while you were applying pressure.

In the last video it seemed like you were afraid of SKD. There were times where you could've pressured or even continued the combo but for some reason just backed off or did nothing, at least in the first round. You got a bit better later on. Also using media against Narukami is really bad since he can full screen slide. Mixup your oki pressure a bit too, I noticed you always go for neutral jump > airdash > j.a. That's not air tight and the opponent can DP like he did in the match. Koromaru died alot as well, take better care of him he's your lifeline.

Sidenote: In the skype chat and I see a few american Ken players saying this as well. That Koromaru's SB normals are a really good reversal, I personally don't feel that way but at the same time I've never seen anyone actually do it in an actual match. Maybe you can try it out and see how it goes instead of using DP. I know you weren't really punished for it outside from grover but as time goes on more people are going to learn the matchup.

Sorry it took so long to get a reply you've probably already corrected these problems by now. In the first match you were using 236B in your blockstrings, that can be rolled on reaction so if you do it I suggest having Koromaru do something either before or during the 236B so you can cover yourself. Also characters like Naoto can just DP that and not have to worry about Koromaru at all. So I'd say in this regard do tighter blockstrings.

In the second video against grover you did 214A without sending out koromaru to cover yourself. In general using media at close-range is a bad idea imo, especially against shadow characters because.......well you saw what happened. Also again with the tighter blockstrings being a necessity with Ken, in the second match grover was even able to use Ziodyne while you were applying pressure.

In the last video it seemed like you were afraid of SKD. There were times where you could've pressured or even continued the combo but for some reason just backed off or did nothing, at least in the first round. You got a bit better later on. Also using media against Narukami is really bad since he can full screen slide. Mixup your oki pressure a bit too, I noticed you always go for neutral jump > airdash > j.a. That's not air tight and the opponent can DP like he did in the match. Koromaru died alot as well, take better care of him he's your lifeline.

Sidenote: In the skype chat and I see a few american Ken players saying this as well. That Koromaru's SB normals are a really good reversal, I personally don't feel that way but at the same time I've never seen anyone actually do it in an actual match. Maybe you can try it out and see how it goes instead of using DP. I know you weren't really punished for it outside from grover but as time goes on more people are going to learn the matchup.

Yeah, I tightened up the 236B thing by putting in 2C to cover the startup.

I actually think my biggest problem right now is getting blown up by anti-airs.  Not really sure how to deal with them in a lot of situations, especially when Koro isn't available to hit them out of them.  Here's me getting fucked up by Adachi's 2B like 8 matches in a row:

http://www.twitch.tv/radioinfluencedotcom/b/589254856

I got to use my improved pressure and mixup strings more at least.  In the meantime if anyone has a good plan for dealing with Adachi 2B I would love to know what it is cause fuck that guy's 2B and j.C.

Against anti-airs in general I usually just try to throw out a normal with Koromaru, try an early j.b, or just bait it. Since there's no barrier blocking in this game anti-airs are a bit stronger and more of a threat to look out for. It takes a bit of adjusting but once you become actively conscious of anti-airs they shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also against Adachi's j.C you unfortunately just have to hold that and block. Everyone does lol

Hi, first time posting over here, but I've been playing Ken a lot lately, and I've got combos mostly down, but how should I go about playing the Neutral. I feel very awkward playing it with him. I have troubles converting random hits with him because of it and I don't really know how to go about using him when I'm not doing pressure stuff, but I have trouble with that too at times. For reference, I usually play very up close and personal characters, so yeah. Any tips?

For me personally at neutral I try to have Koromaru pester the opponent as much as possible (matchups obviously affect this tactic). When Koromaru has the opponent blocking I try to then poke with Ken and start pressuring. Videos of other people playing Ken also help out quite a bit. As for the random hits you just have to know your options from each hit. If you like playing up close and personal characters then Ken is a decent pick I guess. He can go into oki with Koromaru once you get a good confirm and he has a really good damage output. If necessary I can reference a few videos on the latter two.

Thanks Agito! This is also my first Doll Character, so I think a lot of it for me is going to be keeping in mind Koro Position as well when using him and learning his recovery stuff down pat. 

And yeah, some videos would be great to see for him. I've looked at stuff in the video thread, but some direct video links would be helpful.

Also, Sanji is best character, real talk.

Using Koro to bait attacks is a good way to go too. 2C is super + on block and very spammable so the default reaction to you mashing it at neutral is usually to try to hit Koro to knock him down to get space to do whatever your character wants to do. Once they start doing that you can punish their attack (since it's only hitting Koro) with stuff like 5B, j.B, 236A+B, etc for big damage. Koro recovers quite quickly too so even if he gets knocked down by an attack you can still use him to extend your confirms into a full combo. Doing 5B 236A~A 236C is usually a good way to go about buying extra time for Koro to get up.

Gonna resurrect the Ken forums a bit.

Post here and I'll watch your match and critique it.

I won't eat your head if I don't like something so just go right ahead.