Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Pokken Tournament

Finally, a Pokemon game that probably won't have a competitive community that bans things that aren't blatantly broken.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing the interactions between competitive Pokemon players and the FGC.

Notably, the site you're probably referring to bans not based only on power, but on whether a pokemon dictates the nature of the game so much that it highly constrains/cripples teambuilding. Whether that's a legit philosophy or not, they're the only people honestly trying to create a balanced singles meta, since the developers quit doing that ages ago.

I doubt that competitive pokemon and pokken are going to overlap too much. The format is so incredibly different. Some competitive players who like fighting games too will probably be about the only overlap I can think of.

Things I am interested in: Harada said the game won't have a high/mid/low blocking mechanic which implies probably a simplified blocking game in which holding back just blocks all hits or possibly you will need an elemental hit the opponent is weak against to break a block.

This is a tournament game implying you will be switching out pokemon hence the elemental affinities could be a big part of switching out & dealing damage.

Finally the Soul Caliber guy is working on this and taken Harada's schedule (6games!) willing to bet we see more Soul Caliber imagination than tekken.

Still looks cool and might be the 3D fighter we need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgot this was a thing. Scraggy or riot. Guy just has scumbag written all over him.

Realtalk tho, what are the chances of this being a good game?

Real talk? As a fighter, it will probably suck.

What do you even have to go off of to say that?

We've seen what 30 seconds of in engine footage and Harada saying typical PR stuff.

How do you even profile a game like that, lol. C'mon

I don't really have much to base it off of. And i'm still very excited for it, and think it will be one of the best Pokemon games there is (barring maybe Pokemon Snap). As a fighter though, it's already pretty damning when you say there is no high-low and you're simplifying Tekken's style for it when Tekken was already simple enough (I know many people who can't play any fighter other than Tekken because everything else is "too hard").

Not entirely sure if serious...

(Nintendogs is an unflattering term used to describe overly-enthusiastic Nintendo fans.)

I don't know. Beagles are pretty cute!

I think it has potential to be good... but I think it will be geared more towards casual play. We will probably see some niconico combo/match vids when it hits Japanese arcades 

This game actually reminds me a lot of Jojo's ASB

The only thing broken about ASB is the framerate.

If it plays like Jojo ASB, I'll be happy. Jojo ASB was very fun in my opinion despite how broken it is.

Probably much closer to Tekken Revolution. The critical hit mechanic would be an obvious one to carry over into a Pokemon game.

I think Harada got sidetracked by Project Treasure for a while.

I'm not expecting much of Pokken, but I hope they don't go the sleazy route and make it another freemium game when it comes to Wii U.

I'm not expecting much of Pokken, but I hope they don't go the sleazy route and make it another freemium game when it comes to Wii U.

I don't think Nintendo would go for that.  With a few notable exceptions, they're generally among the best companies in the industry when it comes to refusing to publish incomplete games. 

Besides, they'll make plenty of bonus money from tie-in Amiibo sales.

Oh man, I can just imagine the wails of agony if they decided to lock DLC characters behind Amiibos.

Nintendo has already made one freemium game themselves - Steel Diver: Sub Wars - and the digital release of Tank! x3 follows a similar scheme, as will Harada's other upcoming Wii U release, Project Treasure. Quite a few first-party Nintendo games also feature paid DLC at this point, even more if you count Amiibos. The Big N are no longer strangers to nickel-and-diming.

-Suicune, Gardevoir, and Pikachu confirmed.

-Game uses a pad by default, no stick.

-There are assist/striker Pokemon, and you can select a team of two assists. Two assist teams have been confirmed so far: Emolga/Fennekin and Snivy/Lapras.

-You can do Mega Evolution for those that can or X-Factor/Overdrive for others.

-Stages have both Pokemon and trainers in the background. There are 2 stages so far: Chrom City and Phos Volcano.

-Various modes include Single Play, National Battle, and In-Store Battle. There is also a tutorial mode.

-Loketests on 1/30, 1/31, and 2/1. Arcade cards will be given out for those who fill out the survey. Lucario for 1/30, Gardevoir for 1/31, and Pikachu for 2/1.

-There will also be a loketest at Japan Amusement Expo (JAEPO) on Valentine's Day where you can receive a Machamp card.

Gameplay Impressions

Lucario = Shoto w/Narukami Raging Lion (Bone Rush)

Pikachu = speedy rushdown

Suicune = Guile

Gardevoir = Morrigan

Machamp = Zangief (grappler)

Controls

L: Assist

R: Block

A: Specials

B = Jump

X: Weak Attack

Y: Strong Attack

D-Pad can be combined with attacks for different moves

Attacks fill a meter, once full you can activate Mega Evolution/X-Factor to use your Super

Lucario Super = Rasengan followed by Metsu Hadoken

Machamp Super = Terry Bogard Power Geyser followed by ORAORAORAORAORA

Gardevoir Super = Venom's Dark Angel, if it hits then it transitions into Gamma Ray

Pikachu Super = PIKA DRILL BREAK

Suicune Super = Sonic Hurricane, if it hits then it transitions into Jin Astral.