Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Combo Thread

New slide route using stuff I found while browing older pages:

Can be done in corner or carry to it if you're not far by delaying the 5B -just- a little bit, or back to corner by delaying it slightly more.

CH 2B > 5B > 236BB > 5B(2) > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 5B(2) > 5C > j.2C > j.2D

4.2k damage and slightly easier than what I previously posted. May be possible to do j.A while falling to get the 2B reset. And speaking of 2B resets, the ones I have are:

2B > j.2C > 2A > 5B > 5C > 2C full > 2A > reset 

2B > j.2C > 2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 2C > hop j.C > reset

The latter makes the opponent tech immediatelly after the last j.C, good for people expecting 2A > 2B reset.

The first combo 2B CH combo is easier to me, to be honest. 236BB slide is much harder to time with the 2nd, tho more optimal combo >.>

Also thanks for the resets that you abused against me >.> and just now I learn that neutral tech sorta beats it :|

I actually can't get the 2nd reset to work, doing it on marie and she techs out before the 2nd 2C, did you mean 1st hop j.C > reset and not the extra 2C and hop j.C, cuz seems like it.

The first combo 2B CH combo is easier to me, to be honest. 236BB slide is much harder to time with the 2nd, tho more optimal combo >.>

Also thanks for the resets that you abused against me >.> and just now I learn that neutral tech sorta beats it :|

I actually can't get the 2nd reset to work, doing it on marie and she techs out before the 2nd 2C, did you mean 1st hop j.C > reset and not the extra 2C and hop j.C, cuz seems like it.

Delay the first j.C and then do 2C immediatelly after.

Delay the first j.C and then do 2C immediatelly after

I got it now, but by that logic, you should be able to do

2B > j.2C > 2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 2C Full > 2A > reset

instead of the first reset for more damage, same reset and essentially more to cover the what which reset you will do.

For 2B > j.2C > 2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 2C > hop j.C > reset, you could also do the hop j.C normally as I though and let them tech instead of getting the second 2C for an earlier 2B reset instead, so basically mixing up between 3 resets. Since the first route that ends in 2A has requires a neutral tech or for "guaranteed" safety, they need to neutral air tech and block, which requires them to go from neutral to back and time it, an earlier reset might be able to mix them up easier. If they forward tech they eat a 2B > j.2C so it depends on how they react.

I got it now, but by that logic, you should be able to do

2B > j.2C > 2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 2C Full > 2A > reset

instead of the first reset for more damage, same reset and essentially more to cover the what which reset you will do.

For 2B > j.2C > 2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 2C > hop j.C > reset, you could also do the hop j.C normally as I though and let them tech instead of getting the second 2C for an earlier 2B reset instead, so basically mixing up between 3 resets. Since the first route that ends in 2A has requires a neutral tech or for "guaranteed" safety, they need to neutral air tech and block, which requires them to go from neutral to back and time it, an earlier reset might be able to mix them up easier. If they forward tech they eat a 2B > j.2C so it depends on how they react.

Yes, the first one should be possible indeed.

The idea on the second reset is that the proration is so high that they will tech immediatelly after getting hit by the second j.C. Normally, players who caught up to the reset with either not tech or neutral tech the 2A reset, but still naturally hold a button before that moment.

Hi Adachi board~!

Colpevole posted a new combo route a while ago, a little tricky to do but definitely ups the damage. Utilizing j.2C(1) makes for some interesting possibilities.

CH 2B > dj.B > land 5B > 2C > SH j.C > land 5C (low to the ground) > IAD j.B > j.2C (1) > land SH j.C > 5B > 5C (full) > 214A (4049)

Can also end w/ 236AB~A > 214214D more damage or 5B > 236A~A for what looks like a safejump (need to test it more to make sure)

The trickiest parts to this combo are the height you do 5C at and the angle at which j.2C hits the opponent. The ideal height you want 5C to connect is around MIzanagi's chest area. As for the j.2C you want the opponent close to almost directly above you to get the 1 hit. If the opponent flies over your head when you IAD it means the 5C was done too early, but if you get the full j.2C it means that the 5C was done too late. If you end up getting the full j.2C you can still run forward 2AB > 214A for around 400 less damage meterless.

I've tested it on the whole cast and I've gotten it to work on everyone but Teddie (you can still use the full j.2C variation on him though). If anyone can get the full version on him let me know~

Btw, this also opens up possibilities w/ AoA~C combos but I need to mess around w/ it more too. The general idea is AoA~C > hold 7 > airdash j.B > j.2C(1) > j.C > land > stuff. You're high up enough that you don't need to shorthop to get the j.C to connect. But that's about all I have on that one for now.

I'm looking to pick up Adachi as secondary character but no matter how hard I try I cannot dash forward in time after heat riser to continue my combo. Has anyone else had this problem?

It's mostly about practicing the timing, really, since Adachi actually recovers decently quick. Although it usually depens on the combo, sometimes it's harder, sometimes it's easier.

So I thought about making a long post listing Adachi combos, but realized the amount of work it'd be to fully list things I use (and it's probably still going to take a while to finish pffttt), so...

HOW TO ADACHI BASIC COMBO THEORY

Your goals when hitting your opponent should either going for meter gain, damage, setting up a safejump (generally IAD j.B after a knockdown), or preferably some combination of the 3. Only (sometimes) exception for this is when ending combos w/ 214214A (only when comboing into B isn't possible off of whatever combo you're doing and you really really really want Mandala buff). 

All of the following is assuming that the player has general knowledge of how Adachi's combos work. Unblockables aren't covered here because honestly they deserve their own thread. There are more routes than are listed but this is mostly to cover more common options/situations/ect.

"I hit my opponent standing non CH and don't have meter for anything fancy, what should I do?"

End combos w/ 5C(full) > 236A~A (safejump) or autocombo ending w/ the 236A~A in the autocombo (safejump + meter)

"Same as the above, but I have meter?"

Combo into 5C(1) > 236236B > dash 5B > 2C(1) > sh j.C > land 5B > 2B > j.2C (> 214A if close enough) (damage)

"I hit my opponent crouching non CH and don't have meter for anything fancy, what should I do?"

Combo into 2B > j.C > autocombo (safejump + meter)

This is tricky b/c adding the 2B > j.C > ect adds proration, making it end at less preferable times. If you want to be safe just ignore the crouch specific 2B > ect and go straight w/ 5C(1) > 236236B > ect (damage)

"My opponent whiffed something but I have no meter, what should I do to punish?"

Against everyone but Teddie: with CH 2B, use the meterless safejump listed in this post.

Against Teddie: you can either CH 2B > dj.B > land 5B > 2C(1) > sh j.C > land 5C > j.5B > j.A > dj.B > j.2C or CH 5C(1) > IAD j.C > land 5AA > 5B > 5C(full) > 236A~A

The non-Teddie CH 2B combo listed above does good damage w/o meter, but if you have Awakening you can add a good chunk of damage by ending with ...5B > 5C (full) > 236AB~A > 214214D

Alternatively (and also for Teddie) you can CH 5C(1) > IAD j.C > land 5B > 5C(1) > 236236B > ect

"I anti-air'd my opponent w/ a CH 2B, what should I do?"

See the CH 2B combos listed in the above questions. Note that if you don't have confidence in the height of your opponent to connect the dj.B > land 5B you can use CH 2B > j.C (whiff), however in addition to sacrificing damage, you're sacrificing making part of your combo burst safe!

"I hit my opponent air to air non CH, what should I do?"

If not j.C, use (5B > 5A) x N until your opponent is high enough to connect j.2C.

"I hit my opponent air to air CH, what should I do?"

If not j.C and near the ground, you should be able to connect your (land) 5B > 2C(1) > ect combo of choice. If far from the ground just use the non CH example. If j.C and near the ground you can either (land) dash 2A > 5B > 2C(1) > sh j.C > ect (damage and potential safejump) or 5B > 5C(1) > 236236AB > ect (damage)

"I have my opponent in a 2C(1) > sh j.C combo that started w/ a weaker starter in the corner, what should I do?"

Your options here are dependent on the character (might make a post on character specific difficulty later) you're doing the combo on and your faith in your execution. Universal, easy, and reliable option is ...sh j.C > 5B > 2B > j.2C(1) > j.2D > land 214A for your ender.

Harder (don't try this on the Shos) but more damaging is ...sh j.C > 236B~A(1) > 5B > 2B > j.2C(1)> j.2D > land 214A for the ender.

On some really weak starters you'll want to omit the j.2D since your opponent can recover and escape before the j.2D connects.

"Same as the above, but started w/ a stronger starter?"

Not too much changes, but you can squeeze in some extra damage. Universal/easy option is ...sh j.C > 5B > 5C(1) > j.B > j.2C > j.2D > land 214A.

Harder (again, no Shos allowed) is ...sh j.C > 236B~A(1) > 5B > 5C > j.B > j.2C(1) > j.2D > land 214A.

With stronger starters you shouldn't have to omit j.2D ever.

Do note that corner combos, if you have Awakening you can sometimes end instead w/ ...j.2C(full) > land 236AB~A > 214214D (damage)

And as a very special bonus note just based on things I've seen when watching other Adachis:

STOP ENDING BASIC COMBOS WITH 214A WHEN YOU CAN SAFEJUMP USING 236A~A (unless the matchup calls for it IE the DPs of Kanji/Yosuke/ect). YOU'RE SACRIFICING FREE PRESSURE AND CORNER CARRY FOR A SOMETIMES SLIGHT DAMAGE BOOST. 

And... that's about it for now! Any thoughts/feedback, let me know~

Edited by ludwig van

For air-to-air I'd add whatever until j.2C > j.2D if in the corner and if j.C counter hit that you can do 2A(skip 2A if close enough after dash up) > 5B > 2C(1) > sh j.C > etc.

Not sure if that second one falls under "combo list" material, though.~

^The former falls under the corner part near the end but the j.C CH bit should be edited in, ye. Ty!

I agree with pretty much everything you said but I'd like to point out a few things.

-Watch what you do before a Full 5C>236AA safejump attempt. If you did 2A in the combo, you don't get a safejump (they air tech). You have to do 5C(1)>236AA to get it.

-If you ever use Hito Raisa in a combo but realize too late that you did something "bad" before it (or you just have doubts that it'll drop), 2C>hop J.C>2C is pretty much always guaranteed. It'll bring them back to the ground, but don't do anything else after it or they'll tech (gun might be possible?).

-I kinda missed some Megidola routes or breakdown in your post.

Megidola is not that good midscreen without 50 meter to do your standard Heat Riser combo. However, on fatal counter it's possible to land a 236AA after it so you still get a safejump. You can also do 5C>Evil Smile but you can't continue pressure so it's not that good. On the corner it's a huge reward, as you can get over 40 meter and 4K meterless with the proper route, although it's a bit hard to do.

Another point I'd like to mention is that air hit 5A is actually a pretty big deal if you go into 5B>2C, because you don't need a counterhit for hop J.C, and the J2.C whiff route is still possible, but most people autopilot really hard into 5AA for better/more stable confirms. I just thought It'd be worth saying.

Also for character specific stuff, in the standard whatever>2B>J.C>ender crouching route it's actually possible to do 5B before 2B on some characters, but it's rather space dependent. In 2.0 it'll get a bit better thanks to the forward movement.

Overall, great post, very informative.

You can still get safejump with a 2A in the combo if you're doing:

5A > 2A > 5A > 5B > 5CF > 236AA

That's what I do if I get a hit during 5A > 2A > 5A pressure, but make sure not to do 5AA, or you really won't get a safejump.