Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grove03

[P4AU] Yu Narukami - Critique Thread

P4U2_Header_Critique_Thread.png

Post videos of yourself playing and receive feedback on how you're doing things. Hear others' opinions to widen your arsenal or tighten up a few things in your game. 

PLEASE, ONLY POST ONLY IF YOU WANT TO BE CRITIQUED OR IF YOU'RE GIVING INPUT TO CRITIQUE SOMEONE.

Any posts in this thread that does not contribute to the purpose of this thread will be deleted (Warning). The second post following that will lead into an infraction and the third post will lead to a ban. Let's keep things civil and in order, Thanks. 

Week of Yu matches (contains both normal and shadow) sorry for the commentary

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXkBD1d2gE8Ihrcg1GHjQsN6mde9pYgR7

You should definitely watch for doing 214D in blockstrings/neutral, if you do it, make sure you can OMC on block. You got hit by fatals off it a few times, and although the opp really didn't take advantage of it, you can get killed by some chars fatals. Also I would try not to always hang in the air if they don't tech right away, it gets predictable. 214C gives safejump iirc so you could use that midscreen, 214C > 5D can work midscreen if the opp doesn't jump as well for some random pressure. I noticed a few times when you lost, you got punished with 50+ meter when you could have OMC'd and stuff. Don't throw in the towel especially when you've got meter to burn, especially with Yu. And also, specifically for Minazuki's teleports, you could just DP them with Yu if you can't react w/2B. Last thing I have to say is you should be wary of AoAs, you got hit by like 5+ AoAs in one of your matches vs aigis.

tbh the guy you played in the last video was pretty damn bad js

You should definitely watch for doing 214D in blockstrings/neutral, if you do it, make sure you can OMC on block. You got hit by fatals off it a few times, and although the opp really didn't take advantage of it, you can get killed by some chars fatals. Also I would try not to always hang in the air if they don't tech right away, it gets predictable. 214C gives safejump iirc so you could use that midscreen, 214C > 5D can work midscreen if the opp doesn't jump as well for some random pressure. I noticed a few times when you lost, you got punished with 50+ meter when you could have OMC'd and stuff. Don't throw in the towel especially when you've got meter to burn, especially with Yu. And also, specifically for Minazuki's teleports, you could just DP them with Yu if you can't react w/2B. Last thing I have to say is you should be wary of AoAs, you got hit by like 5+ AoAs in one of your matches vs aigis.

tbh the guy you played in the last video was pretty damn bad js

Lol can't put that one him though as he don't play this competitive, but thanks dude.

I have some matches I'd like critiqued if possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVp0gqmjnM

I think I've been developing some bad habits with my pressure and I also feel like my neutral is poor. Feel free to be as harsh as you want and any help/advice would be appreciated. ^_^

I only started seeing the half of the matches(like 22 mins in) and so far you seem pretty solid, but there are really bad habits deep inside you that you need go out of your system if you wish to grow. First, you DP(furious action) a lot and you aren't alone a lot of Narukami players do this(myself included) , but learn to only use it as a last resort or when you know you can beat out a obvious non safe jump, Narukami got a lot of more and safer moves to counter.

Next, I saw you doing this more after the first couple of matches but i still want to say be very careful with doing 5d so close to the opponent especially during a blockstring cause a. the new startup of 5d can easily make the opponent hit it and you losing a card (I seen you use 5d with one card left) and b.you are very open to attacks during startup so someone mashing can easily punish you so be careful with that trick.

Finally, remember seeing you use 75 meter for a 3.5k combo which isn't really worth it unless you are going for the kill like before they get to awakening. I know it feels like you have to use your meter whhen you get its better to store to save yourself or going for the kill than trying to put a little bitmore damage to a combo. Other than that so far I see no other problems: your stagger is good and your air turns are tight and combos and punish are spot on (expect for that bad burst punish combo with a OMB :P). I edit this if I see more but anybody can correct me, and add on with what i said.

I only started seeing the half of the matches(like 22 mins in) and so far you seem pretty solid, but there are really bad habits deep inside you that you need go out of your system if you wish to grow. First, you DP(furious action) a lot and you aren't alone a lot of Narukami players do this(myself included) , but learn to only use it as a last resort or when you know you can beat out a obvious non safe jump, Narukami got a lot of more and safer moves to counter.

Next, I saw you doing this more after the first couple of matches but i still want to say be very careful with doing 5d so close to the opponent especially during a blockstring cause a. the new startup of 5d can easily make the opponent hit it and you losing a card (I seen you use 5d with one card left) and b.you are very open to attacks during startup so someone mashing can easily punish you so be careful with that trick.

Finally, remember seeing you use 75 meter for a 3.5k combo which isn't really worth it unless you are going for the kill like before they get to awakening. I know it feels like you have to use your meter whhen you get its better to store to save yourself or going for the kill than trying to put a little bitmore damage to a combo. Other than that so far I see no other problems: your stagger is good and your air turns are tight and combos and punish are spot on (expect for that bad burst punish combo with a OMB :P). I edit this if I see more but anybody can correct me, and add on with what i said.

Thanks for the input Bloo. I've taken the advice you gave and tried to apply it to my game.  
After stopping myself from auto piloting to 5D in pressure I find that I can keep people locked in pressure for longer and I don't get hit as much :)
I do have a question about 5D though. When should I be using it? Is it mainly used as an Oki tool like it was in the first game or does it have a place in pressure too. 
I'm still trying to resist the temptation of DP lol. I'm considering maybe banning myself from using DP for awhile in order to improve my blocking.

5D is a lot faster than it used to be, you can generally squeeze it in after 5C if your opponent is being complacent or you've scared them with enough frametraps.

1 hour ago, JYaham95 said:

Hi, I've been trying out Yu lately as a new character and I would like some advice on improving. I know that I effectively know only 2 or so mid screen combos and I need to fix that, but here is some footage to help out. Any and all advice I'm grateful for! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b5mG_PSWEkw

From the footage it seems like there was a good amount of lag. Can you record another set?

On 12/9/2015, 8:23:22, JYaham95 said:

Hi, I've been trying out Yu lately as a new character and I would like some advice on improving. I know that I effectively know only 2 or so mid screen combos and I need to fix that, but here is some footage to help out. Any and all advice I'm grateful for! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b5mG_PSWEkw

A new UK Narukami!!! :)

I'm not that good with Yu but I'll take a look at your matches too and give some feedback when I get a chance. 

Also if you want to play some matches and/or train on PSN let me know. :ballYU:

Sorry I had finals that week and I finally have time to critique it 

• Yeah like you said you need to learn effective combos http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=P4AU/Yu_Narukami/Combos here's a link to all the developed combos players have made and if I have to suggest combo i would learn all the 5a starter combos cause most of time you can apply it to most of the others (simple one anyway), a few of the 5b starter combos cause people will get hit by it as it is a pretty good poke, one good corner combos perferably one that ends in a 214b knockdown and maybe 1 5c starter combo as they are the hardest the hit but if you do get one like from a blocked dp or by chance make sure you dont waste it as it will do big damage.
  • Trust me when I say this. SHIFT STRIKE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND I spent a good deal of my persona life doing zio cars (and so many people can defend me on that) and they spent that time punishing the crap out of me. Zio car in this game espically is fatal recovery meaning if you are not careful you will get hit hard because of a blocked D zio car. Use them only for combos unless you are trying to make a guess at your opponent and even then make sure you have 50 meter to get out of it if you guessed wrong.
  • Finally just be careful with your DPs. People are waiting for them and you have to be careful cause a blocked dp means bad news for you and unlike shift strike you can not one more cancel it so it's either all of nothing. 

I feel that is enough for now. Safer play is way more lame but it will help you get stronger there is time to be really aggresive like after a knockdown, but you have to find those moments or create them for yourself first. Hope this helps!