Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

[CT] Hakumen Thread

Well I don't know exactly how it works. but 5A definitely doesn't have enough blockstun to last through a forward dash, speaking strictly through personal experience.

Yeah, I knew that long before zetaboards went up. But I was hoping. I was hoping really hard.

I just started learning Hakumen and I was wondering if anyone uses his drive move? If so how can you use it safely without guessing? I know it's a high risk low reward move (not to mention that it is rarely used in high level play), but In my opinion it is the worst drive in the game. But everything else about Hakumen is badass though.

I just started learning Hakumen and I was wondering if anyone uses his drive move? If so how can you use it safely without guessing? I know it's a high risk low reward move (not to mention that it is rarely used in high level play), but In my opinion it is the worst drive in the game. But everything else about Hakumen is badass though.

The general consensus seems to be to IB near the end of a block string and 6D or 2D the final attack. -5 blockstun + 1 frame startup = pretty effective. This is assuming of course that you can IB on demand.

You're either guessing or you're reacting. That's about all there is too it. There's no safe way. Oh wait, there are probably some multi-hit moves that you can get a free drive-counter on. Like SB'ing BadLands in GGAC, and the only way out of getting d-countered is to RC the move.

Damn it that is what I figured. After glancing at the frame data I was hoping that there was some secret that I did not know about. Oh well 2D > 66 > 5B > j.2C > ad j.2C xN all day I guess.

You're either guessing or you're reacting. That's about all there is too it. There's no safe way.

Oh wait, there are probably some multi-hit moves that you can get a free drive-counter on. Like SB'ing BadLands in GGAC, and the only way out of getting d-countered is to RC the move.

Closest thing to that that I can think of is countering the followup to hells fang, theres probably some better ones though. (Its not multi-hit, though its easy to do if you ib the first hit, because the second is pretty obvious if they input it. you only counter if you see the startup.)

hells fang is Ragna's dash punch thing right? It's pretty easy to react to, but he's not committed to the followup as soon as he does the first hit. By multi-hit moves, I'm talking moves like (and now I struggle to think of a multi-hit moves, goes to load up training mode...) well, I was going to say some of Noel's 2hit CR-moves, but apparently even if you IB the first hit the two hits are still airtight, So they might as well be 1 hitting moves. So I just went through half the cast, and all the commitable multi-hit moves I've found are airtight on IB, so those are out. The only move I've found is v13's 4B. She has to do both hits. Can't dash-cancel, can't special-cancel, no nothing. Now the problem is that a v13 never has to use 4B on you. But yeah, moves that hit multiply times, where they have to do go through all the hits (unless they RC). ok, just skimmed through the entire cast. v13's 4B and Tager's tech-wheel whatever super might be the only two guaranteed d-counters in the entire game. And a v13 is never going to use 4B on you, and Tager's super was already very punishable on block.

for the record v13's 4b is very unsafe on block as well. so far the main uses I've found for counters in general are the following: -Tager's slow ass startup moves (2d, charge B sledge) both 5d'd on reaction. 2D Tager's 5a 5b 5c >B sledge pressure (right before the sledge comes out.) If you're in block stun you'll block, and if possible you'll counter. Only probablem is when you do it too early or they use A sledge to force you to whiff and you get 720'd. overall counters are great in this match, but Tager sucks so it's not like it matters. -Every overhead you can 6D on reaction (stuff like Rachel's j.2C, Ragna's 6B or overhead kick, Litchi's 6A, etc. -any move (like litchi's spinny stick super, carl's punchy super, Nu's 236236D unlimited blade works super) can be 2]D[ for a buffered big window safe counter (meaning if you mess up the timing, you're blocking anyways) Against Nu the super yukikaze (or whatever the super counter is) can be useful in this regard as she's rarely close enough to you for other counters. -Against arakune's corner rape of 2d the blurp bug over and over, you can 2d it and while it won't hit him, you don't rape your guard libra nearly as badly. Can be done over and over if you time it right because you're completely invincible during the counter execution. -j.D after air tech to escape carl's throw loops yay!

Taokaka's 236236D super there is a window to counter right before the final hit. You don't even have to IB. You can counter between the nails of steel rain on IB, though I don't think anyone actually uses this super.

ragna's super (delayable), jin's D uppercut (delayable), tao's down then up swing overhead (don't know if you can D in between), litchi's 6C, hakumen's 41236C, hakumen's 214B (if you IB the first hit), tao's 3C (3 hits, can 2D the last hit but she can special cancel before then, will make her cut her strings short and will often catch the move she cancels into) anytime your in between nirvana and carl be mashing that counter til he starts to throw off top of head and steel rain is a damn useful super, you just have to setup

the two hit versions of Jin's Ice car are 2D and 6D-able after IBing the first hit, however no good jin would just throw the two hit version out for no reason.

Litchi's 6C is airtight on IB

Hakumen's 41236C is special-cancelable. Though, if he doesn't have anymore stars, then he's committed.

Ragna, if he feints the second hit and you tried to d-counter it, you're screwed. Better off just blocking the first hit and mashing C.

Tao can drive off any of her 3C hits, then feint the drive.

or were you talking about just general points to look for counters, and not guaranteed counters?

how the hell did all of us before you forget this...

shrug. only fight jins who hit-confirm the ice car

I think figuring out block strings would be more beneficial for catching than just figuring out specific moves to catch. I usually look for specific block strings, IB one move in the middle, and then catch for punish. This is a much more efficient way to screw up their game in my opinion because you can catch stuff you normally may not be able to. Of course, shit you cancatch via reaction is obviously nice, but against good players it won't be easy to catch anything unless you think ahead, which is what I am trying to promote.

I think figuring out block strings would be more beneficial for catching than just figuring out specific moves to catch. I usually look for specific block strings, IB one move in the middle, and then catch for punish. This is a much more efficient way to screw up their game in my opinion because you can catch stuff you normally may not be able to.

Of course, shit you cancatch via reaction is obviously nice, but against good players it won't be easy to catch anything unless you think ahead, which is what I am trying to promote.

Yeah. Hakumen is definitely a character that gains more by learning how to play the opposing players character than anyone else. Most of my time learning Hakumen is spent learning other characters... what cancels into what, move recognition, a sense of their timing and options... etc. etc.

Uh..besides combo enders, projectile-eaing, and pokes...what is 6C good for, or what works with it?

Uh..besides combo enders, projectile-eaing, and pokes...what is 6C good for, or what works with it?

If you're asking if it can be used in the middle of a combo or to start a combo I don't believe so. I think the only thing you can follow it with is a shippuu so it's pretty much always going to be the last or second to last hit of a combo.

edit: though you may have some luck with a landing j.C(CH)>6C but 2C or 3C are safer for that.

You can start a combo with it on counter hit. So you should use it to punish moves that leave the opponent in counter hit state.

Does it really need to be good for anything else? That'd make it kinda broke wouldn't you say? :yaaay:

I'm just curious but what colors do you guys use? I use his 5th color (hit down 4 times) and it makes him look like an odd golden carrot or something... or just ugly. Carrot.. or ugly.... ugly carrot? :wtf:

I usually use the standard but my favorite alt color is his Zero color scheme. It even colors his slashes green like Zero's saber.