Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

[CT] Hakumen Thread

Anyone else having trouble breaking out of the corner with Hakumen? About all I can do are low poke links and slip in the occassional 6A if they let me.

In general i've had the best results with counters(especially IBing block strings), what you posted, and 2147B if i have the stars. Also i suppose if you're feeling gutsy/stupid like i do sometimes 236236D is at least pretty rewarding.

why only non-projectiles... why?! :vbang: oh well, throws is a nice little bonus though. and I for one will be using this for style points whenever I can. is it active frame 1? (looks like it...) doesn't help against Nu, but might be useful elsewhere. or at least, i'll try to use it elsewhere.

I like trying to use his Astral Heat during IAD, or after a blocked C move. They usually don't see it coming, but I've been getting alot of ragequits.. getting hit with an Astral Heat, especially Hakumen's, seems to be humiliating for some reason.

I like trying to use his Astral Heat during IAD, or after a blocked C move. They usually don't see it coming, but I've been getting alot of ragequits.. getting hit with an Astral Heat, especially Hakumen's, seems to be humiliating for some reason.

Yeah, you tried that against me twice, I must brag that it didn't work though.

Anyone else having trouble breaking out of the corner with Hakumen? About all I can do are low poke links and slip in the occassional 6A if they let me.

Looking for opening to hotaru, or IB catch, or IB anything. IB IB IB. Sometimes barrier to create distance than sj and air dash out is ok too, but Hakumen WANTS his opponent in his face even in the corner, so only do that if you can't take the heat for some reason.

dunno if this is scrubby or not, but i like looking for jD. maybe when i get more time in I'll be able to IB or 6D/2D better, but at the moment i just don't know opposing movelists well enough. but when they jump at you (and usually I find they need to do so to close back in), jD works fairly well. don't spam it, but usually when they are jumping at you they are not thinking empty jump if they have you locked in the corner. it's also a 1 frame counter and will counter everything in the air, so you can jump in with them and react to whatever they do and not have to worry about what they are doing (except for throws). you can also B+C+D and it'll escape throws.

Yeah, you tried that against me twice, I must brag that it didn't work though.

Haha, yes I did. It's actually something I've only started trying earlier today, so it's not perfect yet. But I'm starting to look out for opportunities where I can get an Astral Heat off just as fast as I can Haku's 236236D counter.

dunno if this is scrubby or not, but i like looking for jD. maybe when i get more time in I'll be able to IB or 6D/2D better, but at the moment i just don't know opposing movelists well enough. but when they jump at you (and usually I find they need to do so to close back in), jD works fairly well. don't spam it, but usually when they are jumping at you they are not thinking empty jump if they have you locked in the corner. it's also a 1 frame counter and will counter everything in the air, so you can jump in with them and react to whatever they do and not have to worry about what they are doing (except for throws). you can also B+C+D and it'll escape throws.

Problem with jd is more that it has no follow up. You usually beat jump in with 6a. Beat other stuff with 6a or 2a. You want to create damage, not just catch them. Your chance to dish out damage are few as it is.

On the subject of jD in general i find it to be a wonderful move when your out of or low on stars. No real mixup issues since it's air, and I like to get my opponents looking for a IAD j.B since it's easier to counter hit than jC. I mix in the jD to build stars and keep them guessing. Seems to work pretty well against Jin's as well, but it's risky. Of course that's on people i can get in on. j.D seems like constant suicide against the top 3.

Problem with jd is more that it has no follow up. You usually beat jump in with 6a. Beat other stuff with 6a or 2a. You want to create damage, not just catch them. Your chance to dish out damage are few as it is.

I know you can at least follow with a J.C if your close to the ground, maybe j214C after that? As for 6A, that move is wonderful, beats out j.C pretty consistently, though I don't know why you would consider 2A to be anti-air.

j.D seems like constant suicide against the top 3.

It really is, falling straight down means certian death against nu and arakune. I don't know if rachel has a good followup to punish it though. The move only really seems useful to get the defensive frames in the middle of a badly timed air dash.

What do you guys usually use for catching people on rolling? In the corner, I personally like 6B, but I'm sure there are some better options. I'd imagine an opponent to roll forward out of the corner, catch with 6B CH -> corner combo? Still trying to learn Haku-men, but just curious.

What do you guys usually use for catching people on rolling? In the corner, I personally like 6B, but I'm sure there are some better options. I'd imagine an opponent to roll forward out of the corner, catch with 6B CH -> corner combo? Still trying to learn Haku-men, but just curious.

I've actually caught a few rolls by dashing back and following up with a 6C, then dashing back in again (or 236A). On a couple occasions, I simply waited till the roll was almost under me, and 6B'd them.

I guess the trick is to have them cornered, but still be at such a range that your 3C attack will barely hit.

Hakumen's slower attacks are great for hitting someone coming out of a roll or Ukemi. :yaaay:

I've actually caught a few rolls by dashing back and following up with a 6C, then dashing back in again (or 236A). On a couple occasions, I simply waited till the roll was almost under me, and 6B'd them.

I guess the trick is to have them cornered, but still be at such a range that your 3C attack will barely hit.

Hakumen's slower attacks are great for hitting someone coming out of a roll or Ukemi. :yaaay:

3C is great unless they neutral tech. Just fought a guy who didn't know how to tech. Free zanketsu's FTW

ugh. need help with the C loop in the corner: i am mainly practising just the launcher part into air combo (623a,a falling c, 2c, j.2c xn ) on Jin. what would u guys suggest as an optimal setting for getting the timing down for the loop (aside from infinite bar and hp regen)? for the 2c to j2c part.. does it have to be super jumped to work? is there some kinda timing that works against all char? i feel like i am learning enkasu timing all over again...wish it was as intuitive as those jo's corner loops j.hs, jd, land.. blah blah.

ugh. need help with the C loop in the corner:

i am mainly practising just the launcher part into air combo (623a,a falling c, 2c, j.2c xn ) on Jin.

what would u guys suggest as an optimal setting for getting the timing down for the loop (aside from infinite bar and hp regen)?

for the 2c to j2c part.. does it have to be super jumped to work? is there some kinda timing that works against all char? i feel like i am learning enkasu timing all over again...wish it was as intuitive as those jo's corner loops j.hs, jd, land.. blah blah.

A normal jump will work on a lot of characters in most instances, but some, like Nu and Arakune, you generally have to sj to catch them because they're lighter. Off the top of my head I think its only necessary on Nu, Arakune, Carl, and Bang but don't quote me on that I may be forgetting someone. Also sj can be useful on the other characters since if your timing knocks them up too high you can still miss the j.2c

EDIT: Forgot that I wanted to ask about counter assaults. I haven't used them at all since 6A, 6B, and IB counter have been plenty for getting out of heavy block strings. 4 stars seems pretty hefty but it might be worth it, Haku-men certainly gets heat much faster than the other characters. I haven't experimented with it but are there any decent combos you can get out of it to make it worth while? Or is it just much better to use his drive since you end up plus a star instead of down 4?

um, thats actually a good question... i'm lazy enough to go for it rather than doing an equivelent combo, but thats a large part because I'm still fighting with me stick and don't know how to do inputs on stick.

Well his air mobility pretty good, yet his ground mobility is horrible...uh...er...uh...er...uuuuuuhhhhh.....

That's actually good though since hardly anyone expects a double hop forward to close the gap when most use 623A to get in.

That's actually good though since hardly anyone expects a double hop forward to close the gap when most use 623A to get in.

I prefer simply walking forward (unless it's nu, lol). It's better for defense, the speed isn't that terrible, and you can easily hit anyone that tries to move in on you with a 6C (or j.C, which I personally prefer against Ice car spammers).

Mechanically, it's not THAT great, I'll admit, but it's pretty fucking intimidating, and 10x more manly than Bang.:v:

I prefer simply walking forward (unless it's nu, lol). It's better for defense, the speed isn't that terrible, and you can easily hit anyone that tries to move in on you with a 6C (or j.C, which I personally prefer against Ice car spammers).

Mechanically, it's not THAT great, I'll admit, but it's pretty fucking intimidating, and 10x more manly than Bang.:v:

I don't know, I still think anything that puts a multiplier on bang's manliness would short circuit any piece of electronics. Haku is just F***ing scary, manliness doesn't factor in to it. (He does have hands down the best english voice acting in the gmae though.) As for walking foward, Maybe for rachel or jin.

Haku is just F***ing scary, manliness doesn't factor in to it.

of course that man is scary .

He's the wifflebat champion 300 years running. who isn't intimidated by a record like that?

hi, im new to this game and im interested in maining hakumen. is he a good character to start with? my friend is maining carl and i want to be able to beat him. consistently.

hi, im new to this game and im interested in maining hakumen. is he a good character to start with? my friend is maining carl and i want to be able to beat him. consistently.

Hakumen is very easy to pick up and become decent with, but taking it to the next level is really hard.

IE: Other than Haku-men's j.2c loop, he doesn't have any combo that's hard to learn or execute. (So far)

But to become really good with Haku-men, you need to step your basics up. Things like instant blocking and spacing/footsies become extremely important to Haku-men because he doesn't have the standard bullshit that the other characters have (Though I'm sure Carl players think losing 5k life in one 5 hit combo is also bullshit... :vbang: )

Being a top level Haku-men means never missing an opportunity to deal damage. If you land a hit, you automatically go into the most damaging combo you can with the magatama you have. Haku-men, against the top three, doesn't get many chances to actually land a hit so you need to make sure you can make those hits count. Haku-men only has a few combos, but he has a lot more ways to get into those combos (6a, 6b, j.c, c, a, 2a, 2b, counters, throws, any of his specials). Regardless of how the combo starts though, most the time you want to somehow get it to end with falling j.c, 2c, sjc j.2c, j.2c, air dash forward, j.2c, j.2c, j.2c (in a corner. Half screen you do j.2c, air dash forward j.c)

Being a top level Haku-men means you IB stupid supers like Noel's or V-13's. Those supers can almost max out your meter by just jumping, holding back for the first hit, and then tapping back to IB the rest (You could try to j.c them, but why risk it?)

Being a top level Haku-men means you IB guard strings. If you see your opponent using the same guard string over and over, you need to be able to IB the 2nd to last hit and counter the last hit. You need to be able to let them know you are going to punish them every time they try to pressure you when you're blocking.

There's probably other things I'm forgetting, but you really need to spend time in training mode getting your combos down, and then spend time in matches so that you can learn to hit confirm them and land them in real matches.

Remember, Haku-men really only matches up badly vs Arakune, Rachel, and v-13. You should respect Ragna, Noel, and Jin but definitely not fear them. And even v-13 gets easier when you play her a million times. She doesn't have THAT much variation on her shit, so learn to block her strings and slowly force your way in. Hope this helps!

If you want to consistently beat Carl, you could always just go to the Carl thread and find out who his worst match up is, and main THAT dude :toot: