Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

[CT] Hakumen Thread

what exactly is a kara throw? I've seen it mentioned for a few characters, but cna't find an explaination anywhere.

Kara is some Japanese word, means something like empty, or something shrug. It means to start a move but cancel that move into something else before it goes active. So a kara-throw means you are starting up a move but canceling it to a throw. When people are talking about a kara-throw, they are usually talking about kara'ing a move that brings you forward, there by increasing the range of your throw.

So couldn't hakumen cancel 6a? Even if it's only a little more range it'd still be worth it right? And what about Kara specials? Do they not exist in this game? I'm a completely GG noob so I still don't get the system 100% yet.

Nah, Hakumen doesn't really have any kara throw options period (and no specials don't work I'm pretty sure.) Then again Hakumens ground throw range is enormous so he doesn't really need it.

Also a question relating to his counters...does the spacing change if he counters them by sending them towards the corner? Not saying his counters are throws but they act like throws.

someone should make a Hakumen/Ragna video using this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz5ADjWRHU

how many hakumens do you guys run into in ranked matches? i've only seen a couple so far.

i wonder what it is that deters people from hakumen. He's by far got some of the coolest character design. And Toshimichi Mori said in an interview that he is the oldest BB character because he created him back in high school or something. :toot:

someone should make a Hakumen/Ragna video using this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz5ADjWRHU

how many hakumens do you guys run into in ranked matches? i've only seen a couple so far.

i wonder what it is that deters people from hakumen. He's by far got some of the coolest character design. And Toshimichi Mori said in an interview that he is the oldest BB character because he created him back in high school or something. :toot:

I've only run into a few haku-men and all of them were terrible, just HURRRRRRRR flying around the screen with j.C and 6C and no follow-ups. I don't play online much though (got to level 30 and stopped) because even tiny amounts of lag annoy me.

I've only run into a few haku-men and all of them were terrible, just HURRRRRRRR flying around the screen with j.C and 6C and no follow-ups. I don't play online much though (got to level 30 and stopped) because even tiny amounts of lag annoy me.

Yeah, lag = fail. Anyway, when I first jumped online I played Hakumen and did terrible, so I'm going back to the drawing board and actually making a serious effort to learn Hakumen before I go back online, to avoid embarrassing myself again that way...

Hakumen is my main, I play online, at least in Player Matches quite a bit.. I'd say I'm about average, something like a 70% WL rate in Player Matches but most of those people are scrubs.. If you see me, add me to friends, GT: Phr00t . Always looking to improve my Hakumen by watching others :)

I am really sorry to ask this (I'm a scrub at fighting games, just started on BB), but how do you exactly do the falling j.C for Hakumen? I am attempting to practice "(6A, 5B, 5C, or 2C) -> 623A~A (Kishuu -> Enma) -> jump -> falling jC, land 2C, sj2C (-> extra j2C if cornered) -> airdash j2C (-> can link multiple j2C if in the corner) -> (optional 214C knockdown)." I get to the 623A~A, I jump towards him and as I start going down, that's when I hit jC (not on the way up). Am I just not doing it quickly enough or I'm misunderstanding some hidden terminology here? Am I jumping too high? Not putting enough forward momentum? What's going on?

I've had similar problems with other combos. falling j.C's and falling j.2C's seem to be my biggest problems for now, I'll just have to practice more...

I am really sorry to ask this (I'm a scrub at fighting games, just started on BB), but how do you exactly do the falling j.C for Hakumen?

I am attempting to practice "(6A, 5B, 5C, or 2C) -> 623A~A (Kishuu -> Enma) -> jump -> falling jC, land 2C, sj2C (-> extra j2C if cornered) -> airdash j2C (-> can link multiple j2C if in the corner) -> (optional 214C knockdown)."

I get to the 623A~A, I jump towards him and as I start going down, that's when I hit jC (not on the way up). Am I just not doing it quickly enough or I'm misunderstanding some hidden terminology here? Am I jumping too high? Not putting enough forward momentum? What's going on?

The timing is really strict when it's not a counter hit, you barely have time to do a 2C~623AA > Falling 2c. On counters it's much easier.

Practice it with counter-hits turned on until you have the timing down. If they're teching before jC hits, you're hitting it too late, if they're teching after jC but before 2C, you're doing the jC too early. All about practice. Also make sure the jump is a jump forward, (9) which I'm sure you're doing, but it's still worth it to be said.

My inputs go 623A 9A C 2 C 9 2 C. If you split up the motions and the inputs, you can time it easier (as in, don't go from neutral to 2C when you land, put the 2 in during the jC). Basic stuff, and if you're doing that already, then just practice :)

the only problem i have with that ^ combo is the super jump. i can never seem to do it and when i do its late so they tech and recover. any secrets to that? omg i just realized today that you can do custom ranked games. i was using quick match the whole time.

Do you guys find yourselves using supers/distortion drives often, or do you use the meter more for combos? Oh and doug, there's an edit button you know =/

The bigger question is why are you trying to get in on Hakumen? Almost the entire cast is able to threaten Hakumen outside his range. And I'm pretty sure about half the cast gets free damage for blocking any of Hakumen's C normals. And everyone should be able to punish Hakumen for whiffing a C attack, except maybe another Hakumen, lol.

Bait hakumen's stuff, and use frame traps. Not sure why you want to charge at him from the air. It's not hard to get in on Hakumen. It's, however, hard to lock his ass down if you don't have frame traps (and to a lesser extent, spammable good pokes). I guess a starting point would be to make sure you can feel exactly how far his c moves go, and learn to FD break (similar idea implemented in GG) to bait shit and move in on his recovery.

So zetaboard guide says that Hakumen's forward dash is 16 frames duration. And that Hakumen's 5A inflicts 24 frames of block stun. (it specificly says, "guard recovery 24F" which I assume they mean block stun) So that means if 5A hits on the first activate frame, then there's 8 frames of recovery. 8 frames of recovery, plus 16 frames of dashing, equals 24 frames. At the end of the dash Hakumen should be at neutral frames with the opponent. Right now I'm testing it out, by setting the dummy to mash on neutral throw (7f startup). I make the dummy block a 5A, then set it to start mashing during its blockstun. I should be able to dash forward and 5A the dummy out of its throw attempt, but I'm getting thrown every single time. It's not a counter-throw either, I'm getting thrown during dash recovery. I take this to mean that the Zetaboard guide is wrong again. Or am I doing it wrong? I suppose it's moot. Who blocks standing against Hakumen?

I have no idea what that guard recovery frames mean, but it doesn't mean that.

Block stun is determined by attack level.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/blazblue/pages/03#attacklevel

5A is lvl 1 for 11 frames of block stun, -2 for active (the frame where it hits doesn't count I guess), and - 6 for recovery, leaves you at +3 frames on block (which is the SD number on the chart).

Yes, I know that. But specific moves notes supersede general game systems. The question is, is 5A's move notes a typo/misprint, or is the duration of Hakumen's forward dash wrong, or is something else wrong.

Well I don't know exactly how it works. but 5A definitely doesn't have enough blockstun to last through a forward dash, speaking strictly through personal experience.

Oh, I have no idea what that means. Though the hit stun note explains why you can combo off of a CH 5A. I was unaware of the zetaboard's data having been wrong before. Are there any other Hakumen misprints? (Or just in general if you know them)