Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

[CT] Hakumen Thread

Mugen is the realization of our subconscious desire for infinity (a fantasy!). Indeed, it lasts the span of 12 seconds. However, the mere glimpse were are afforded, our sliver of infinity, is often all we need to obliterate the opposition. So, for a short, short time, we realize the fantasy of the infinite. ... <cough> So how 'bout dem new frame traps? Any indication whether Haku has some new tricks up his sleeve?

Mugen is the realization of our subconscious desire for infinity (a fantasy!). Indeed, it lasts the span of 12 seconds. However, the mere glimpse were are afforded, our sliver of infinity, is often all we need to obliterate the opposition.

So, for a short, short time, we realize the fantasy of the infinite.

<cough>

So how 'bout dem new frame traps? Any indication whether Haku has some new tricks up his sleeve?

That's deep yo o.O

actually, regarding that, i recall hearing someone say that the way they translated mugen as infinity was incorrect.

though i could've just been trolled hardcore due to my weak jp...

yeah they translated it wrong, Hakumen's Mugen is the "dream/vision/illusion" one. But if they mis-translated it on purpose, I can sorta understand, because the words "dream", "fantasy", "illusion", etc., don't seem sufficiently impressive for the name of Hakumen's "ougi", yet translating "mugen" into English with the equivalent literary "weight" that it carries in Japanese might be tricky/impossible. you'd have to pull something out of ancient Greek or Latin to give it the same feel that it has in Japanese.

I noticed the noise but didn't really care about it, why do you hate it so much? I think the voice he uses for it is superior in CT though, it was impressive enough without an extra noise.

his new voice set is alright, its certainly calmer but just as intimidating imo. I haven't heard it enough to really form an opinion, but really anything is better than his godawful english voice.

his new voice set is alright, its certainly calmer but just as intimidating imo. I haven't heard it enough to really form an opinion, but really anything is better than his godawful english voice.

you mean that walking badass english voice!

that voice was awesome, sounded like a angry jin in a suit.

new voice is jawsome he doesn't sound old and constipated anymore also he untoggled capslock butan

His English voice and Japanese voice not only sound different but seem to emphasize different aspects of Hakumen's character. His english voice sounds more condescending and self-righteous. Although it's hard to tell since I don't know Japanese. :P

His new voice doesn't sound so exaggerated and over-the-top anymore, but I sure am going to miss the EUUIIYAAAAHH!!! and the AEIII - AIIIEEEY - AEIIIIIYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH during j.2c combos. also, I'm pretty sure Mugen is meant for infinity in this case, those who say it's dream, I think are talking out their ass. I don't know japanese but in the English version, in training mode there's an option to toggle Infinity on an off, which toggles mugen. Sounds like a direct translation. Also, it makes more sense, since the entire gimmick of Mugen is infinites (combos).

That happened me earlier last week lol. I air throwed carl when he was doing clap (iirc) and I did the elbow down and nirvana got hit even though we weren't even in physical contact lol.

the "zanshin" you're referring to is written 残心, and as you said, has to do with the practitioner's awareness.

Hakumen's drive name, however, is written 斬神, which literally means "slash-god", but is probably better translated as "god slash".

in japanese, homonyms abound! always check the kanji, if you can, before assuming something like that.

edit/p.s.: if you can't see kanji on your computer, then you won't see what i wrote, so you'll just have to believe me when i say they're written differently and are thus merely homonyms.

oohh..... i see...

also, I'm pretty sure Mugen is meant for infinity in this case, those who say it's dream, I think are talking out their ass. I don't know japanese but in the English version, in training mode there's an option to toggle Infinity on an off, which toggles mugen. Sounds like a direct translation.

The Japanese name of the technique is 虚空陣奥義 夢幻 (ムゲン).

夢幻 (Mugen) means dream/fantasy/vision. 無限 is the mugen that means infinite.

The literal translation of the Japanese name is "Void Space Formation: Dream".

So that judgement stuff like "The FINAL JUDGEMENT: INFINITY" is a fairly loose translation, then. I still like it. Oh wait, that's what he SAYS when he activates the move, not what the actual move is called... what does he say in the japanese?

Well I mean, how would it be directly translated, unless that was the direct translation.