Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alt

Final Fantasy Dissidia

I've heard things from both sides :/ "It's great!" "This sucks." "Much deeper than I thought it would be." "What's this mashfest?" Can I get some opinions before I import it? I'm interested, but I don't want to get it if there's no community for it.

Oh there's a community for it. The Dissidia gamefaqs board is filled with people even, highly popular apparently. Also my friend got it and now I'm addicted to it.

Can't decide...could either be Cloud or Ultemicia. Cloud for his fast, high priority, and high-powered slash moves, and Ultimecia for her rapid fire spikes of imminent rape.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's either Gabranth or Shantotto...mostly due to the idea they are combo-heavy and easy to put people in Break Mode with.

I swear to god if I hear someone say mashfest one more time, I'm going to mashfest their mashfest. This game is based on Brave Points that affect how strong HP Attacks are....but you need Brave in order for HP attacks to work...and since most combos involve Brave and not HP attacks, it isn't a big deal if a combo is particularly long. HP attacks only mix up with Brave under certain situations...and most Brave attacks are blockable. HP attacks are slower and you can dodge them easily. Brave doesn't technically do damage, it only builds up damage.

mashfest :P just kidding, im thinking on buying the game, is it good, do you recomend it?

I swear to god if I hear someone say mashfest one more time, I'm going to mashfest their mashfest.

This game is based on Brave Points that affect how strong HP Attacks are....but you need Brave in order for HP attacks to work...and since most combos involve Brave and not HP attacks, it isn't a big deal if a combo is particularly long. HP attacks only mix up with Brave under certain situations...and most Brave attacks are blockable. HP attacks are slower and you can dodge them easily. Brave doesn't technically do damage, it only builds up damage.

So are there like inputs other than square, triangle, X, circle? Wait no... I'm pretty sure you just mash on all those buttons a bunch. Well ok probably not triangle or X since those are movement buttons technically.

MashFest.

I was hoping for something at least a bit intricate. Total Mashfest.

Well I guess I can give a little benefit as it has some intelligent mashing. Lol. Will I mash Square or circle right now? Oh Brave check... Square it is.

You know what...you have no idea what true mashing is. This isn't Dynasty Warriors. You pull that sort of thing in this game you will LOSE I guarantee it. If you don't believe me, watch this, if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbdM7Rvujk You try mashing in this, you leave yourself wide open.

Sure, system-wise it's not up to GG standards (as you literally have to equip things like double-jumping), but there's a lot of customization and leveling and equipping you can do which is something on par with Battle Fantasia.

And then, you get something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Lr-yy0CUA

Actually, it's not just a mashfest. You can equip different attacks after you buy them, example: Holding the little joystick knob to the right while hitting square will give you a nice meteor shower if you're Cloud, while you can bind other attacks to 'neutral' and 'hold left'. Aerial attacks go by up and down, and repeat the process for circle. You can equip abilities that let you lock onto those EX things, you can equip dashes, and weapons/armor, kinda like a real FF game. And wtf is this shit about having to equip double jump? I never had to.

Ok, look... I didn't say it was a bad mashfest. It's just that there isn't very much depth. Equipping weapons and leveling up and shit is cool, and I get the whole RPG into a fighter thing. That's all cool. I would just rather there be some skill involved other than "Oh I got a new item, now I can combo more" NBD. Sounds kinda like Kingdom hearts. Another "intelligent" mashfest.

Ok, look...

I didn't say it was a bad mashfest.

:I:

Wow this game looks fucking stupid.

Mashfest?

I think so.

:gonk:

It's just that there isn't very much depth.

No depth you say?

Equipping weapons and leveling up and shit is cool, and I get the whole RPG into a fighter thing. That's all cool.

You're telling me equipping and leveling is not depth? Your bar is raised too high methinks. You don't have to draw a line between fighting games and RPGs you know.

I would just rather there be some skill involved other than "Oh I got a new item, now I can combo more"

NBD.

Sounds kinda like Kingdom hearts. Another "intelligent" mashfest.

I'm not going to say I played KH or KHII for that matter, but getting items and equiping weapons in this game is OPTIONAL....for serious matches people agree to de-equip stuff, including summons. Equipment doesn't define matchups in any way. As for Brave/HP Attack equips, those are based on what attacks you're familiar with using and your own playing style, based on that specific character's skillset, like picking and choosing what moves you want to use in a match.

Before you call it an "intelligent" mashfest, why don't you try it...and try Battle Fantasia while you're at it.

I have nothing further to say except that it isn't a "mashfest" by your definition.

Which is why I play Ex-death. What? He's almost impossible to win with but you know you can't mash with him. I just need a few more days to learn what I can with him.

Also, I declare Jecht as Sol Badguy here. Come on, he "knows" Grand Viper. And the way he holds his sword...and look at his rival, a blone-haired blue-eyed 'kid.'

Also if you don`t want to mash, play Jecht, because his brave strings suck without the just timing. Also third part of the string can be canceled with a HP atack so theres one more reason to do the just frame strings (well not really just frame, i think it`s like a 3-4 frame window).

You're telling me equipping and leveling is not depth? Your bar is raised too high methinks. You don't have to draw a line between fighting games and RPGs you know.

I'm not going to say I played KH or KHII for that matter, but getting items and equiping weapons in this game is OPTIONAL....for serious matches people agree to de-equip stuff, including summons. Equipment doesn't define matchups in any way. As for Brave/HP Attack equips, those are based on what attacks you're familiar with using and your own playing style, based on that specific character's skillset, like picking and choosing what moves you want to use in a match.

Before you call it an "intelligent" mashfest, why don't you try it...and try Battle Fantasia while you're at it.

I have nothing further to say except that it isn't a "mashfest" by your definition.

Uhm, been playing battle fantasia for several months now. Was not impressed. Watson was cool, but deathbringer was like "Oh hi, I take relatively no skill at all to use and I do like 600 damage a poke." Other than that I was like "Oh, well it's kinda cool"

So you just said Leveling up and Equips give this game depth, then refute that statement by saying all that shit is thrown out the window in "Serious" matches. So where is the depth in that?

I'm assuming Leveling up is a process brought about by defeating a certain number of enemies and getting XP. Something you can't avoid in an RPG most of the time, so I'm going to say gaining levels takes no skill. I'm assuming equipment is gained after winning a fight as well... So once again where is the skills?

So the bosses might have some tricky patterns to dodge/block, You might have to press circle or square + a direction to combo, and you might get to choose your attack sets. Still sounds like you're going out there and mashing jumping/running around until you get a hit and you mash on square for a bit, then circle.

There's nothing wrong with that, that's fun. We played the shit out of some gundam fighter for like 2 months and that's all it was, sidestep shoot, or sidestep combo. It was fun as fuck.

So not saying this game isn't fun or entertaining. It's just that I would have liked to have seen a little bit of skill so to speak needed to play this game. In all honesty I would love a 2D fighter that was FF characters that had at least depth like say... Street fighter.

So while this is all fun, you're trying to make this game out to be more than what it is, simplistic. An "Intelligent" Mashfest.

Actually, I'm trying to say this: rpg fighter =/= "intelligent mashfest" =/= "fucking stupid" In this case =/= means "Does NOT equal". I believe you can adjust your level...or level up for that matter against other players. As for refuting my argument with equips...I did no such thing, I said it's the player's CHOICE. Just like how you can choose golds and blacks and EX mode in GG...you can use them or not, that doesn't make it any less deep. What you may define as a "serious match" is therefore left up to you...get a grip, chill out and stop talking crap till you play it. If you're going to say that something is only DEEP if elaborate strategy and combo skill is involved where you have to input 360s all over the place like I-no...or the system is so deep nobody can understand it on the surface...then obviously this game will never be for one as stingy and pickyune as you. But for us 'less uptight' gamers...leave us out of your issues with 2D fighting complexity. That goes for anyone obsessed with deep high level gameplay in any 2D or 3D fighter...CHILL OUT...less annuerisms that way. I'd say this for GG2 Overture as well, which actually IS based on 2-attack-button gameplay.

The only thing i don`t understand in this game is, what does affect the critical rate? The only thing i`m sure is, when you deflect someones atack(or parry anything with jecht`s parry move) , and hit him afterwards the critical rate is definitly increased.