Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackoutNecros

Vampire Savior Revival

Im not really sure if this is the right place to put this because this isn't anything official or anything, its just an Idea.

As everyone is probably aware of by now Project M was released. a Modded version of Brawl currently being played at tournament level and has had events all over the place............so with that in mind I thought, the Vampire series hasn't had a game since Vampire Savior 2, and thats not even still played, and Darkstalkers Ressurection, to which Capcom then announced the series dead, So my idea was, why not make a new version of VSAV similar to like what was done with Project M. Take most of the older stuff from VSAV, add some new character, change some things here and there and make a new Vampire game for the community.

I guess really I'm asking has anyone thought of giving VSAV a Project M treatment? I don't know about you guys but if that happened I would be first in line to play it. Especially since we know that Capcom isn't going to come out with a new Darkstalker/Vampire game.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.... The problem becomes whether the community at large will appreciate it enough to support it... Would the team making it render the game in 2.5D or will it be all sprites? Would it be hi-res, or will the characters be palette swaps from VSav. WIll Phobos and other characters be added to the game, and if so which version will they play as? For the "weaker" characters in VSav, will the gain tools from other games (i.e. - Felicia's "projectile" from VHun)?

Those are just some of the questions that would come up if anyone were to recreate that which is VSav. Again, I personally wouldn't mind because I'm open to the idea; however, the overall scene would have to be supportive enough to warrant some type of creation. As it stands, half of the people on sites like this would rather keep VSav the way it is, and others are praying for a new one to be released. I personally would like for the new one (if ever there was one to be created) to bring some sort of balance that attracts vets, elitists, newblood, and everyone else in between...

It would be very unnecessary. The adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Project M exists because Brawl was a steaming POS compared to Melee, with all sorts of highly questionable design choices, and entirely unsuited to competitive play.

Vampire Savior is the pinnacle of its series and arguably Capcom's entire fighting game catalog.

Also, Capcom already did add a "new" character for the PS2 collection (Dee), and the results were underwhelming to say the least.

So for those who responded to this. Thank you. 

Anywho. I agree with Jinxhand that if something like this were to happen those questions would need to be answered. As much as I pray to the Capcom gods daily for a new Darkstalkers I am pretty sure Capcom doesn't listen. In fact Capcoms claims they don't see them coming out with a new Darkstalkers game.

now to address what Tai-X said. I agree with that adage and I don't think we need to "fix" Darkstalkers. I think Darkstalkers does need a new paint job so to speak. I used Project M as an Example because it was a modded version of brawl. Brawl I also think was crap where I also think VSAV is one of the best if not the best Capcom title. I think darkstalkers just needs mainly a graphical update. I said maybe new characters but that is not necessary, personally I just think that if they took what they did with VSAV, Updated the graphics. made a few changes here and there nothing big and then released it as a new game. Personally I would like Anita added to the game but thats just me. But also adding new character following a similar theme to the characters aswell as bringing back old characters would possibly be really healthy to the community and possibly revive the whole thing. Hell possibly even put it at EVO level again. In case you all don't recall many of the top MVC and SF players love Darkstalkers/Vampire.

I read somewhere that Anita was supposed to be in VSAV, but there wasn't enough time to work on her as a character, so all that's there is the small little portrait hidden somewhere in the data files...

As for Dee being added in Vampire Chronicles (?), he was a completely busted character. Instead of a hodge-podge of Donovan and Demitri, a completely new sprite would've sufficed... Even if they kept the character sprite, it would've been ok if he were give different normals and specials a la Lilith...

VSAV is considered to be the best as far as Capcom fighters go, but neither the community is expressing or, nor Capcom is listening & willing to put the effort to gamble a fortune on a title that gets "enough" support... For something like this to actually go down, we all need to start getting people to purchase the game at least... Those who have the ability to stream the game, do so, and those that watch streams or would be willing to watch these streams, spread the word... Rotanibor streams this game quite often, and I do plan on getting back on Rebel Up when I'm done with my travels... I know Saltmines down in SD has been trying to do some things with the game, and those cats are waiting for me to return so we can battle--- I do know they're at least leveling up as am I.

The point I'm trying to get at is that if we want something done for VSAV, we all have to be vocal...

I am also apart of the VF community as well, and look what they had to do to get VF5FS for consoles... I signed the petition that tons of people signed, and that badboy went straight to Sega directly, and all of our (VF community) voices were heard. Even those who don't frequently play VF helped out to support the FGC at large... Things like this require us all to reach out to whoever we can to support something like this...

Perhaps we can hit up Ono-san... I mean he's all we've got unless someone has connects to one of the original Dirty Beret members... Even then it's still a long shot...

I know we all have the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality regarding the game, but I honestly want a VSAV that can attract both old and new players... SF did it, KOF did it, JJBA did it, VF did it, VSAV can do it too...

I agree that new Darkstalkers would be awesome, though I think the community isn't vocal enough. I mean, Vampire Resurrection wasn't just a rehash, it was supposed to see how many people would buy more Darkstalkers and it sold VERY poorly. A petition sounds nice, but I wonder if it would be enough. I can't think of another way to make a Project M style game other than MUGEN and I doubt that could be played at EVO or anything. It would be interesting to see though, there have been a few cool MUGEN projects that updated the sprites to HD, added new character, and actually played almost exactly like the source material. Personally, I'm on board completely with new Darkstalkers and trying to get the FGC hype for it again, but I feel like it's a pipe dream.

The chances of a new Darkstalkers sequel are indeed looking very slim right now. First, Resurrection sold quite poorly, and that release was rather explicitly made to test the waters and gauge how much interest there would be in a sequel. Second, Capcom is dire financial straits right now, and is looking for someone to buy them out. We probably won't see another all-new FG from them at all until that happens.

Capcom's not selling their IPs piecemeal. Anyone interested in their assets has to buy the entire company, or nothing.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Tencent decided to take over Capcom and buy them out... I think by far they're one of a few companies that could buy them out right now...

But aside from all of that... How much "advertising" did Capcom put into Vampire Resurrection??? I mean they put some time into seeing the game come out, and they wanted to gauge "interest" in the game, but outside the FGC, and a few articles here and there, not much else was really said about it...

For what its worth though, there was a bit of resurrgance in both Japan and the US... I came across new consistent players alot, and still do from time to time...

Capcom probably wouldn't accept a buyout by a Chinese company for cultural reasons. Call it racism if you want, but Japanese companies really don't like being placed in a subservient position to the Chinese or Koreans if they can avoid it.

I think Namco-Bandai is by far the most likely to buy them. It would probably lead to TxSF actually getting finished, too...

Digital-only games in general rarely receive much advertising, because the lack of retail presence always restricts games to a more limited market. Also, Capcom probably decided that the game was too niche for advertising to pay off. Resurrection did get a retail release in Japan, though.

Japanese companys cannot be bought out by "foreign" companies... There's some law on it... On a side note, I wonder if Sega, being originally an American company, can be bought out even though it became a Japanese company???

It would be great for something to happen to further benefit Capcom as a whole, including their Vampire series... Capcom does have titles that could use a revival, but most companies now are in that position (i.e. - Sega, etc)...

I can't think of too many people who want to buy capcom in its entirety, I dunno maybe Nintendo or Namco? I kinda just wish they'd sell it piece by piece. Maybe Disney will find some way to buy a foreign company.

Project M was completely funded and produced by fans. Fans that knew Brawl needed a major over hall to make it much more enjoyable competitively. Don't get me wrong, a new (and well advertised) Vampire sequel would be great. I simply feel the majority of players are content with the original Vampire Savior/DS3. Willing to wait even longer for this potential squeal, if it ever comes to light.

Well, if the community at large feels the current VSAV is fine and that a "newer", more polished version is needed, then the only thing left is to work towards bringing more and newer players to the scene... "Advertise/market" the game kinda the way the Smash scene does their game... Look how long it took for them to get any type of recognition in a seemingly "SF/Mahvel-only" FGC... The same goes for the MK community, but it took MK9 to drop, and even then UMK3 was still getting support (sorta)...

The nature of Smash and its large, casual playerbase makes it difficult for most to see any competitive side to it. Philosophies are mixed between Sakurai and Smash competitors regarding the series' identity. With that said, the Smash scene had to work hard to reach the point they are now. Although deceptively small, Vampire is still kicking. A tight-nit community on Facebook is doing well. 884 members as of this post and growing. Of course we'll continue hosting events and spreading the word. Next to possible independent content, It's all we can do until Capcom gets their act and IPs in order.

For the record and clarification, I'm all for a fan-made mods/new Vampire material.The community at large doesn't seem to mind not having any though.

It would be nice if the VSav players from other countries came together for something like the VSav tournies they have in Japan...

At this point, I think uniting both players of VSav and VHun (Vampire Hunter) would do wonders imo. I know some people who can only adapt to VHun's playstyle, and because of that, they find themselves not going to tourneys or even hosting at events where people are willing to try said game...

Perhaps we all can start drawing out those who play VHun, as it appears there's no scene, or those that do play aren't as vocal as those who play VSav...

I like Vampire Hunter's distinct playstyle quite a bit, and it definitely wasn't rendered obsolete by VSav. It's similar to the distinction between SF Alpha 2 and 3. I never saw many players for it on Resurrection but I played where I could.

I play VHun for Donovan mostly, but I like Demitri and Fish in that game, too... The combo system is interesting though...

I wonder how a new Vampire would play out if the chaining/linking system in VSav and the juggle system in VHun were somehow merged together with VSav's speed...