Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice Prince

Icespike FRC Help Thread

Well, being that this is a very HARD FRC to learn and nail consistantly (I even see/hear that some Japanese players apparently have trouble hitting it all the time), I figured this could use it's own thread for newer Dizzy players needing help with the icespike FRC. Now, what I've trained myself to do is after I throw icespike (236hs), I'll hit hs twice really fast, and then three buttons to FRC. I've gotten pretty successful with this method. You can't be too quick, and you also can't take your time. The frame window isn't big at all, and it's something that really requires somewhat of a pacing and timing compared to visual like some FRCs IMO. Other ways of doing it are welcome, and any questions to help learn it are of course welcomed. :)

Ive been trying to time it by sound, there is and innitial sound of the move and then a faint second sound that sounds like an echo, and thats when you FRC. dont take my advice though cause i still dont get it most of the time........

Yes, I've noticed the sound part as well. During the initial animation of the move, the FRC point is after the icespike itself has "materialized". I wait until I see it at it's highest peak (and hear that second noise), and then FRC. I was hitting it consistantly last night by doing that, as well as timing myself.

Ah one of the hardest frc for me. Has no animation or anything to indicate a timing.. except the sound. Just like dizzy necro said.. the echo is the key to hitting the frc.. well at least for me. I would also like to know if anyone else has some easier way to getting that frc down.

Let's not forget icespike FRCs after a gatling, so in addition to lone icepsike FRC, you should practice: 2HS icespike FRC 5HS icespike FRC S(f) icespike FRC 5K icespike FRC 2D [FRC] icepsike FRC You'll be using the first three all the time; 4th will come when you're too far to land 5HS and may also come if you hit 5K as a horizontal AA; 2D icespike FRC will come in use for AC, you should know how to do this if you played Dizzy from #R. Other than the negligible cues on her icespike, you could also try using Dizzy matchvids as a guide to landing the FRC. Get a general idea when the FRC window should come; a bit easier to use than the small flash you'd normally use in Training Mode.

I think alot of people want to time it right when Undine's hands are fully out, and that's a bit too early. After playing around with it some more, it seems to be right after that point where her hands are fully out. It's almost like a "pause" kind of moment with the move.

im happy to say i mastered frc for icespike <3

and been using Dizzy as my main since forever.

though i dunno if this is the correct spot to post this, here is videos recorded by Alt from the tournaments he has hosted the past months ago.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=yar1030&hl=en

whatever says YaR1030 is me playing : D.

I'm not the most exciting player to watch but i try to get down to business.

You just have to sorta feel the FRC, just play with Dizzy around a bit longer. There is no real tricks to land an FRC, same with Dizzy's Ice Spike FRC. You just gotta feel it eventually as you play with Dizzy more. Pretty much if you can't get the hang of it, it means you haven't been playing with Dizzy enough. Trust me on this one. Just keep practicing it on your own as you play Dizzy more and more and spend a good amount of time in training mode.

Luckily for those having problems with it - the ice spike FRC is becoming less and less used. In #R you could basically just loop it in the corner for huge damage. But with the proration it got in Slash, doing it more than once is just not worth it unless the opponent has really, really low health. For Slash Dizzy, it really only has 3 practical applications: 1) Some okis might require you to summon immediately after KD (i.e. homing pike IAD in corner, H fish midscreen crossup bullshit) but those are better off throw or 2H anyways 2) Transporting opponent into corner - i.e. midscreen combo to ice spike FRC IAD j.H |> f.S ice spike or just ice spike FRC dash f.S ice spike. The former is almost always guaranteed to get them to the corner, but it's not doable on every character, and those that are all have different timing (practice on Anji, he's really easy). 3) Safing a missed/bursted ice spike As for the timing itself, well, I don't really know. There are some audiovisual cues you can use, (like, the echo, how far the opponent flies). The FRC timing is practically twice that of the startup time, so you can imagine a second ice spike being summoned once the first one is out, and hit FRC just as the hypothetical second one comes out. But really, if you want to master it, it's all about practice, practice, practice. Get it down to muscle memory. Fortunately, it's almost the same timing for every gatling > ice spike, but it's way off from just plain ice spike (which is hardly ever used anyways). Use the cues at first, but really, you should aim for not being dependant on them at all. Being forced to concentrate on your animation/some sound may not be a handicap for you, but it can never be good for you

i dunno if this will help, the timming for icespike frc is rather tricky one IMHO if it hit/blocked it windows cames a bit later, but if it whiff, it cames faster, for me i press the 3 button when: 1. if hit, just a moment before the victim launch ^_^" 2. whiff, i look at the base of ice spike and press the 3 buttons just a moment before the freezing fog(whatever-_-") completelly disappear still i can't pull of the frc consistentlly enough in a match ^_^ but i found it easier to pull off on the 2nd and 3rd ice spike loop and i completelly agree with furix ... there's no easy way mastering this frc T-T

I'm thankful on two levels at this point. One being that I've gotten decent on the timing now, and two that it's becoming less used. I really don't see it used alot in Japanese vids anymore. Good stuff though Nehle and excelence. :)

try to master FRC by just doing it a bunch of times. You'll know you got it down if you never ever think about it. It comes as easily and naturally like running water. shrugs.

Icespike frc never the easy one for me since #R and after understanding Dizzy gameplay a little bit, it's very rare for me to use icespike spamming a lots of fish and spear lol

lol, instead of a thread that is directed toward one move shouldn't there be a Dizzy discussion where you can talk about multiple things?

There is discussion of those in other threads. This one is dedicated to this FRC because it's her only special move that involves an FRC, and is quite difficult to hit consistantly compared to alot of FRC's.

Yes, it is. Airspike, fish, bubble and scythe do not have an FRC point IIRC. Some of her normals have FRC's, I wasn't counting normals in my statement.

Icespike frc never the easy one for me since #R and after understanding Dizzy gameplay a little bit, it's very rare for me to use icespike spamming a lots of fish and spear lol

:psyduck:

Scythe FRC isn't used very often because Dizzy doesn't have safe ways to pull out scythes in situations where the FRC would be all that useful =/ I GUESS if your opponent fell asleep you could do string to 623S FRC9 and then get iad2S/land 2D mixup. Or if you had a fish biting at the proper time? Kinda iffy since it does require you to condition your opponent a lot but it's something. Main reason to use icespike FRC in AC is to get bigger setups for the most part. Lets you feed into some crazy lockdown into 2-3 tier mixup sequence, like it has since #R.

Main reason to use icespike FRC in AC is to get bigger setups for the most part. Lets you feed into some crazy lockdown into 2-3 tier mixup sequence, like it has since #R.

And to be honest she doesn't even need to FRC for that