Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaRealZil

Beginner Combos for a New Zappa Player?

Since I've kinda fell in love with this game, and character, here recently I've decided to stop being a lurker and make my first real post. As I said I'm newer to the GG series but I've played other anime fighters for awhile now so i kinda have a feel for the mechanics as well as Zappa himself. What I'm wanting to know is where should I begin when it comes to "Beginner Combos" for Zappa's stances? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Bringing the Zappa forums back to life!

So I'm going to post two combos for each summon.  First combo is a bread and butter, real simple with a reason to know it.  Second is probably the flashiest combo I do during a match.  Hopefully, you can figure out combos into between.

Naked:

5P, 2K, 2D, (OTG) 6236P, P.

2HS, 2D, (OTG) 6236P (RC) 2HS, JC jK, jS, JC jK, jS (jD).

First one is a must to know in my opinion, because it is the lead in to this.

Second one is a bit of a meter burn but the more 2HS you have in one combo, the closer you are to dizzying the opponent.

Dog:

(anywhere) 5Sf, 8D, jK, jS, JCD, jK, jS, 8D.

(corner) 5HS (wait) 5D, 5P, 2K, 5D 66 5P, 2K, 5Sc, 2S, 5D, 66D, 5P, 2K, 2S, 632146HS.

First one is essentially an anti-air combo, to get all three dog backflips in you'll need to wait for the dog to land from the first one and then do the second one as a main attack, with the third as a follow-up to that main attack.  That should also get you 2 orbs (one for each main attack dog backflip).

Second one is assuming that the opponent was blocking low in the corner and the 5HS has opened them up.  During the dog lunge (6D) as you run (the extra 6), you need to make sure you are extra deep because you'll be getting some major pushback at this point.  Not even all 4 hits will connect on the overdrive most of the time.

Sword:

6P, 2K, 2D, 236S.

6P, 2S, 2HS (1 hit) JC jS, jHS FRC, jK, jS (land) 2K, 2S, 5HS, 63214HS FRC 2HS (2 hits), 6HS (1 hit), 63214HS.

First one you are probably thinking it's dumb but there's a purpose.  This is your emergency combo and you'll end up in plenty of emergencies where the sword is on the far side of the screen and suddenly the opponent has gotten in front of it.  The 6P will have some invul to it which will help in beating some opponents assaults.  The 236S will reset sword position after the knockdown.

Second one just uses lots of sword FRC points.  The first part is a variation of the jHS combo that you probably may be practicing from afar.  If you're close to the opponent you'll need to substitute in this version.  The second part of the combo, after the 5HS, is a must-know.  It could be a BnB too but I'm trying to keep the BnBs meterless.

Ghosts:

(P,) 2K, 2D, 236K.

(corner) 6P, 5Sc JC j2S, 236K FRC, jK (land) 5P, 5Sc, 5Sf, 236S FRC 66 5P, 5Sc...

First one again looks like something basic but you must keep in your mind that your goal with the ghosts is to put your opponent in misfortune, so on ANY knockdown you should 236K a ghost on top of them.  If for whatever reason it doesn't OTG, it'll probably be meaty instead.  Also remember that if the opponent has a ghost on them and you hit them with another ghost, misfortune resets and the ghost will return to Zappa quickly afterward.

Second one is another two parter, the first part is very flashy.  None of it is an overhead until the falling jK but it can still be tricky.  The second part can be looped for as long as you have tension to FRC since ghosts will return on hit each time.  End with 2D for a knockdown.

Roah:

(corner) 5D, 214S recover 214S.

(corner) 632146S, 6HS, 236S K, 66HS, 236S K, 66HS...

First one could use tension if you midscreen but it's really important to start throwing 5D in to your mix with Raoh as it's a fast overhead.  If they are conditioned to look out for it, use 2HS instead and then start mixing between them.

Second one probably isn't very flashy for most people as it's moreso the BnB Roah combo over the years.  Honestly, I don't really get a chance to do anything flashy with Roah since the opponent is dead on connect.  But I'll give you one more silly combo that I've been doing since the jHS started bouncing the opponent on the floor.

jHS (land) jS, jHS, (land) sjS, jHS (wait) jD.

Thank you so much Phrek! These combos alone have already helped my Zappa improve against my local play group. Hopefully anyone else looking to pick up Zappa will stop by this thread for these handy starter combos. :)

I figured I should just ask this here,I've been having a little trouble doing 2D6,6236P. I can do it but not consistently,so I was wondering how quickly do I have to input it or instead of trying to do it fast should I be doing it at a steady pace? I know the best thing to do is to keep practicing (and I will) but I wanted to get some advice on it. I've been trying to decide on who to main in +R for months and I've definitely enjoyed playing Zappa the most,I really feel like maining him so I want to learn to play him at a decent level.

it is done pretty fast but you should first start out at a steady pace. practice doing solo 2D and buffering the dash after the animation ends. Rather than thinking of it like

2D6,6236P
think of it like 2D, 66236p, a dashing hadouken motion

I just do 2D>66236P without buffering it during 2D's recovery and I'm much more consistent this way. If you're used to input fast or visual cues, it's better to do it this way. Otherwise, buffer it during 2D like mentionned above.

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been much more consistent by just doing 2D,66236P. I have one more question I forgot to ask,is the FRC for the D version of the ghost toss a bit harder than the other versions of the move? For some reason I can do the others just fine but the D version of the move gives me a little trouble. Well anyways thanks again for the tips,gonna go back to grinding it out in training mode.

Yes and no.

Yes because the window is different. No because all versions have a 2f FRC window.

To be more specific like you can check in his frame data, the FRC window on 236P/K/S/H is on the 10th and 11th frame. On 236D, it's on the 16th and 17th frame.

I have no idea why they gave a different FRC timing however except artificial difficulty though.

Well that explains it, thanks for clearing that up. I really wonder why they did that, seems pretty pointless to be honest.