Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Critique Thread

P4U2_Header_Critique_Thread.png

Post videos of your Adachi play to have other members critique it! Keep it civilized and constructive.

UBW Tourney (Adachi vs. Kanji)

UBW Tourney (Adachi vs. Minazuki)

UBW Tourney GFs (Adachi vs. Adachi)

Hey, I'd appreciate it if anyone would take a look at any of those videos where I'm playing and give me some advice. Some aspects about how I fight that I've been thinking about:

- It's been said that I don't really have a plan on defense, which is true since I've never actually had any kind of plan in a fight. All I'm ever thinking is "Hit the opponent under any circumstances and asap", which I guess lends to my peculiar playstyle that seems to frustrate other people. Not really sure of how to go about having a "plan" going into a match, either.

- I tend to jump a lot when I'm afraid of the opponent instead of staying grounded. I'm doing a better job at just blocking mix-ups than I did in the past, but all that goes out the window when I feel that I'm going to be outplayed, so I impulsively jump and DP way more than in regular matches.

First match

You didn't do that bad. You clearly show that you're confident about your Adachi but to the point where you didn't show your opponent the right respect. 

The start of the round was pretty bad for you and if the 5AAA had landed kanji would have gotten a LOT of meter. Your jump prediction played against you so be wary of it.

Then you get 2B'd by Kanji and again Grant is not able to land the 5A. Another mistake but it's fine, you got anti aired so good job by Grant.

Very nice burst to avoid Kanji's beastly Fatal Counter Combo and very nicely done pressure and persona break.

On 1:57:50 or so you get a Fatal on Kanji. How come you didn't go for the Heat Riser>Micro Jump loop combo? You would've goten a nice defense boost vs Kanji and could have easily done 3K to him. You also got a sweep on him before which could have meant an SB gunshot MC loop. I'm going to say that the connection wasn't that great/you weren't feeling confortable enough in the match-up. Maybe you were nervous? Even the chat said it.

Then we go to what lost you the round. Kanji baited you into Mandala and D grabbed you. You might think that there isn't a good reversal for this particular option but with B Mandala you'll be invulnerable vs this grab. Same goes for D Atom Smasher. Or just jump. The three of these give you a FC on it.

Second Round

5B hitting Take-Mikazuchi led to that Chair CH. Nothing you could really do but to cancel it into other thing but I'm not sure about it so I'll let it slide.

Grabbed again with the lightning pressure, you didn't get DP baited. Well done and nice anti-air 2C.

But you got baited. And SOMEHOW you got Kanji's burst later on. From here it just goes downhill. Another thing that I noticed with the connection or rather your unconfortable state was that you kept doing 2C in what I believe was a try to get Mandala out but just didn't get it? You'll know more than I do about this. Lastly, just don't jump that much vs Kanji or SB Take Grab will get you down, and with the new auto combo that is pretty good with Kanji. Try using Ziodyne more in this match-up, as it gives you a good chance of going in.

Second Match:

Really no that much to say here. You did great nullyfing his teleports and blocking his pressure. There are two or so hyper-panic DP's but they worked. It also shows your weak point of jumping and there are characters who can really punish you for that so work on it

Third match: First Round

Horrible round start. You ate Cross Slash entirely, DP'd and got combo'd for around 4k just like that. Good reversal but you ate another cross slash. You're an Adachi player yourself. Try to 2C it or just block it. Do not be scared of your opponent and remember that your DP takes 950 HP effectively making any combo more than 2K.

Second Round

That was a big mess for both of you. Really. Stop jumping when you're scared. He could've gotten you to 2C>HeatRiser>GameOver. Good catch with 5C and good fear set-ups.

Third Round

The other Adachi just figured you out. You got overpressured and very nervous. 2C got you good and you didn't find the way out.

I'll see the rest of the matches later. I just want to point this to you:

Play more relaxed and think less about your opponent overwhelming you. You are a good player yourself so you shouldn't fear others that much. Jump less or it will get you in a lot of trouble. You don't seem to DP-Trigger happy so that's a good point for you.

I'm not that good of an Adachi player as I spam a lot of DP but I think you're doing great. If you find yourself without the proper way in, try to use Ziodyne vs characters such as Kanji or Teddie. It helps a lot on getting in but in other matchups it shouldn't be really used.

Remember not to abuse it against Shadow Characters, as it will give them a lot of meter.

Thanks for the feedback; it helps a lot.

First match

On 1:57:50 or so you get a Fatal on Kanji. How come you didn't go for the Heat Riser>Micro Jump loop combo? You would've goten a nice defense boost vs Kanji and could have easily done 3K to him. You also got a sweep on him before which could have meant an SB gunshot MC loop. I'm going to say that the connection wasn't that great/you weren't feeling confortable enough in the match-up. Maybe you were nervous? Even the chat said it.

Ha, well I just learned that Heat Rise gives Adachi a 10% defense boost in addition to the attack boost; that makes it more vital than I thought it was. Also, it's none of those reasons, probably. If I should think back to why I didn't do that combo, I guess it'd be something like conserving meter? Again, I tend to go wild when I play with little rationale behind my decisions, so I can't really say I avoided doing it for anything specific. It's something I'll have to change, I guess.

B Mandala is invulnerable, huh. Good to know; I really got to look more into Adachi's properties. I think something was said about Adachi's D command grab being throw invul. as well, which I guess could have helped me in this MU?

Using Ziodyne more sounds good, though I'm getting wary of doing it much because it gives the opponent a ton of free meter, and I suck at trying to attempt to get a hit in with Adachi while the Ziodyne's going on. Also, for those 2Cs, it probably was something like trying to cancel it into Mandala; I really don't have the timing down on that one. When it comes to execution, I don't think nerves had much to do with any of it.

Third match: First Round

Horrible round start. You ate Cross Slash entirely, DP'd and got combo'd for around 4k just like that. Good reversal but you ate another cross slash. You're an Adachi player yourself. Try to 2C it or just block it. Do not be scared of your opponent and remember that your DP takes 950 HP effectively making any combo more than 2K.

It's possible to punish the Persona of an opponent Adachi's 2D/j.2D with 2C? Sounds risky, but I'll try it out.

But yeah, thanks for the advice. Jumping a lot is definitely an impulse that I need to control; it's really hard not to do that as I don't feel safe just straight up blocking the opponent on the ground and having to deal with high-low mix-ups. Definitely gotta work on that.

UBW Tourney (Adachi vs. Kanji)

UBW Tourney (Adachi vs. Minazuki)

UBW Tourney GFs (Adachi vs. Adachi)

Hey, I'd appreciate it if anyone would take a look at any of those videos where I'm playing and give me some advice. Some aspects about how I fight that I've been thinking about:

- It's been said that I don't really have a plan on defense, which is true since I've never actually had any kind of plan in a fight. All I'm ever thinking is "Hit the opponent under any circumstances and asap", which I guess lends to my peculiar playstyle that seems to frustrate other people. Not really sure of how to go about having a "plan" going into a match, either.

- I tend to jump a lot when I'm afraid of the opponent instead of staying grounded. I'm doing a better job at just blocking mix-ups than I did in the past, but all that goes out the window when I feel that I'm going to be outplayed, so I impulsively jump and DP way more than in regular matches.

Your blockstrings are really weak. I see you sometimes ending with just 5C, which is -9 on block. Try not to go into 5C so much on block because its pretty bad but if you do, go into either gunshot or 2AB xx gunshot. Gunshot is a good blockstring ender but don't forget about SB gunshot. You're sitting on a lot of meter throughout some of these matches where you could be using it to extend/start pressure or extending combos with 2AB xx 214AB on a crouching opponent. SB gunshot is +13 on block so you pretty much get to do whatever afterwards if they block it.

I saw you did stuff 5C(2) 236BB xx heat riser 2C a couple times and pulled them out of the corner. Probably not a good idea because doing anything after the second hit of 5C does really bad damage and isn't worth the meter. If you don't hit confirm into heat riser properly and get 5C(2) you'll have to settle for a 236AA ender. Just don't give your opponent a free ride out of the corner unless it kills.

You've already mentioned too much jumping as an issue but youre specifically relying on jumping backwards and doing j2D or double jumping and doing j2D way too much. Its good to keep those options in mind but once people start to figure this matchup out, they're going to punish you hard for it. Lastly, if you get 2D/J2D blocked you have enough time to dash up and confirm into a fatal counter combo or start your pressure. If they press a button to break your persona, it might cost you a card but you get a counterhit if you're fast enough. 

Your use of 5C in neutral is really good. You cant get much off it but its great for controlling space. Hope this helps.

Your blockstrings are really weak.

Oh yeah, this is something else that is a big issue for me; thanks for pointing it out. I actually get really confused when it comes to this and I end up becoming very predictable. Gunshots as usual enders sounds good, and mixing up SB gunshots as well for the frame advantage sounds good, too.

I've been using that typical 5C > 2AB > 236BB > Heat Riser > 2C combo all the time, but I guess I should commit to forsaking that for the apparently more effective 2C > short hop > 5C > 5B > 2B > 2C variation.

Yeah, the fear that leads to me jumping a lot makes me also j.2D a bunch. 2D, in general, is kind of a scary move for me because I'm never quite sure when to throw it out. I'm getting a bit more adjusted to trying to punish an opponent attempting to break the Persona with a gunshot, but I really need to learn when to use that move instead of throwing it out randomly and getting punished for it.

I can count a couple things that were going on in your sets... but other people already said what's happening. I feel like the options you were taking in alot of situations were just too crazy. If you just keep your head cool and don't opt for unsafe stuff, then you'll probably have better results. Like, count how many times you DP, end a blockstring in an AoA, or j.2D, and compare when they hit and when you get punished for it. Try practicing without pressing DP, maybe. There's playing disrespectfully, and then just playing straight up unsafe. 

If you need a game plan, just try pushing the opponent into the corner where Adachi's weirdass normals lose alot of their downsides. stuff 5C sweep 236AA instead of gunshot to force the tech. 

First to 10 between myself and @Chou_Uppa (Aigis).

Based on the first few matches (when I get internet at my new flat I'll see the whole thing), your mistakes are the mistakes every Adachi player makes (me included).

Don't roll so much. Multiple times you got caught rolling through Aigis' Persona and comboed after.

Too many j.2D's. The reward is tempting, but it's never worth it. There were so many chances where instead of just jumping and throwing it out you had the meter for Atom Smasher, that would work way better (to your credit though, I stopped seeing them so much later on). In the second fight (IIRC) for example, you had the round won the moment your opponent tried to fire rockets at you - but instead of Atom Smasher you did j.2D again and got beat for it. It may seem Adachi has better options to use his meter, and he does, but Atom can really scare your enemy, make their fullscreen options far more limited, and that's important against Aigis.

In a later match, arount 9:30, you got Persona broken for abusing j.2D's and lost the significant lead pretty fast. When you got your Persona back, bursted and attempted to Ghastly Wail them. Without Mandala, it's a terrible idea. Not only would Aigis probably survive this (Awakening damage reduction), you had almost 150 meter, which would've been enough to do... anything, pretty much. I'm gonna mention Atom Smasher again, but if you didn't run in, there is a hefty chance that your opponent would get impatient and eat SB Atom Smasher, or even if they block it, it's safe and you still have enough meter for another one.

Making a blocked DP safe with Heat Riser is a TERRIBLE idea. I saw that once, I'm not even sure if you intended it for that purpose, but that's what happened. If you got your DP blocked and got meter, OMC it, unless you really desperately want the Heat Riser buff and got 75SP, this one gives the buff even on block. Still, not worth it, the amount of blue health you get when you super cancel the DP is ridiculous.

If this super cancel was intended to hit, it's still a bad idea. DP in general is a bad idea, unless it's a very, very hard read for a Fatal Counter, that can get you a nice combo. It's an amazing reversal, but unless you're risking getting blockstringed to blue health hell by an Akihiko or Labrys player, you're better off blocking some hits and looking for an opening than just throwing it out.

Multiple times you seemed to extend corner combos from crouching hits with 2B>j.C (example at 12:33), but completely ignore the chance you'd get if you used Heat Riser. If you have 50 meter, just and combo them from there - by extending, you give your opponent a chance to burst, and miss out on the Riser defense buff, that makes a world of difference sometimes. The damage you'd miss bypassing 2B>j.C extension will easily come from the buff itself. You could also go for 2C straight after it, preventing them from bursting if they don't expect it and get just that little bit more out of the corner and have all the advantage you need to mix them up again. That round was a pretty big loss, but it could've been avoided by not making another mistake roll attempt and not realizing you sit on a ton of meter - use it more.

Sorry it's written so chaotically, but I'm using work breaks to watch and write, so it's a little hectic. I'll watch the rest later and try to comment on it.

Just to point it out you can't OMC DP, but you can go for GW

Really? My bad. I never really use it, so I thought it works this way. Sorry 'bout that.

Yeah, a lot of the adjustments you mention I do make as the set goes on, we take it all the way to the last game.

The only thing you mentioned that I disagree with is using Heat Riser when I have a crouching confirm. The damage on a CO is solid even meterless, as you'll notice I only HR on a CO confirm if the additional damage would kill or to maximize damage before awakening. Otherwise I save the meter for a more useful situation, like extending the combo on a standing confirm instead of having to let it end at 5C.

Other then that all I can say is try to finish the videos before posting so you can get the full scope of the plays you want to critique.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and drop your opinions! Looking forward to any other ones after you finish watching. I promise it gets pretty exciting later on.

It's not the damage from Heat Riser that makes his suggestion sound, it's the buff. As Adachi, a 10% boost to offense and defense should be taken if the opportunity presents jtself, and the damage equaling other combos is just the icing on the cake. I haven't watched the game in question, so maybe you already had the buff. Either way, as long as you don't play recklessly and lose Magastu-Izanagi you should always try to have that buff to help you throughout the match.

Watching and took notes, starting at match 2

Match 2

5:10 should mandala go here?

5:30 stance cancel still good?

Match 3

7:44 nice bait

7:49 wait...

8:57 too late to combo?

9:07 too late to combo.

9:41 like the read... but was airborne on animation

Match 4

11:04 nice conversion

11:11 ^

12:16 roll got burned

13:00 countered twice

Match 5

14:07 bad roll again?

14:31 I want this combo

14:49 Best grab

15:02 First Atom Smasher

15:32 that combos? Good stuff

15:42 Stance cancel. Wanted that to work

16:00-16:15 No buttons, like your patience

16:36 Maximun conversion here?

Match 6

18:33 conversion plus card

18:39 j.C too good

18:58 that combo is new to me, good stuff

19:15 keep it up *claps*

19:44 aww...

19:47 punishable?

20:11 No tech, potential death?

20:17 Now manda- wut?

20:42 side switching...*grumble*

20:50 plus roll

Match 7

22:11 how to get in Lesson 1

22:35 which way do you block that? I honestly don't know.

22:55 Good night...

23:36-23:28 Quality blocking

24:08 2nd 5A Dped

24:17 mistake?

24:44 10 seconds before a button, great discipline

24:52 could've been more?

25:41 always wins...

Match 8

26:49 Baited!

26:55 stance sighted, optimal combo?

27:25 Glad you converted for more damage

28:07 *heart rate spikes*

28:14 you can do that too?!

Match 9

29:30-29:49 Oh dear...

30:03 Runback?

30:19 Runback!

30:41-30:50 Momentum!

30:52 Bad Aigis roll?

Match 10
32:44 No conversion
32:55 Smart roll...
32:56 that doesn't work?
32:58 Reeling now
33:20 Oh snap
33:41 Corner carry, no tech
34:27 SP atom smasher WINS
35:00-35:05 Great conversion
35:28 NOOOOO
35:30 *sighs* I feel better now
Match 11
37:03 Setup?
27:12-37:14 I though this worked...corner needed?
37:49 Works on commands grabs too?!
38:31 KO goes...
38:32 here!
Match 12
39:58 5A Dped again?!
40:04 minus roll
40:21 confused now, does Aigis DP work on proximity or attack?
41:01 Hit confirmed Athena, laughed a little
41:55 Uh oh...
41:56 Oh okay
41:57 DP...
42:00 3 for 3 on those I think
42:24 Might have seen 5A, not sure
42:53 Crazy, she can do that?
43:07 4 for 4, regular version
Match 13? (Lost Track)
44:15 Yep 5A
44:25 Fear setup here?
44:58 what's the combo here?
45:10 Unfortunate
45:18 Tasty 5B
45:33 Cmd grab Dped
45:52 was 5C still active?
46:52 5A again
47:35 Was athena's shield down or SP too good?
47:42-47:44 5 for 5
Match 14
49:27 Almost
49:40 3rd time ever I've seen this super, never seen it miss
50:26 No 2D?
50:28 Said counter, good punish?
50:52 Pro tip from Fuuka
51:34-51:41 my one combo!
Match 15
53:44-53:46 I'm taking this...
54:39-54:41 Good blocking
54:42 ^ This is still valid
55:05 Caught backdashing
55:18-55:23 Whiffs lead into 2.3k? Scary
Match 16
57:05-57:07 Good patience
57:25 Roll countered
58:31 she’s that fast?
58:34 Wut?

Match 17
59:44 really confused now, weren't you blocking?
59:53 Conversion?
59:57 Bad input?
1:00:46 No punish here (for Aigis)
1:01:57 Were you buffering here?
Match 18
1:03:14-1:03:17 Seems the wheels are back on
1:03:38 the wheels are ablaze!
10:03:52 4 for 5, too close maybe?
1:04:23 Just a good reaction by Aigis
Match 19
*Stops watching for analysis*

I've become a fan of your defense as a guy who IAD at every chance. Quality confirms, good blocking,

Gives me a general outline of to do vs Aigis. Thanks for the recording.

Hi, if anyone could look at some of my gameplay and offer advice on ways to improve, what I'm doing wrong or how I should play the character then i'd really appreciate it. I'm a terrible Adachi as I just started to play him properly in the last month or so and i've been with Margaret since the game came out. I have a particular problem opening up the Elizabeth in this video and all my matches against him as he loves to block and wait, so any tips on that are appreciated. I don't really know his combos (Not the long ones anyway) and I think this may be another reason to why I struggle? Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by JYaham95

Well, the most important thing about playing Adachi is loving your C moves, and knowing how not to abuse your D moves.

Try not to use 5D unless you -really- want to get in, because it gives the opponent a lot of meter and it's really slow, so it can be easily punished. 2D, don't use it on neutral, keep it down to occasional j.2Ds to catch anti-airs while falling. They are buttons made more for gimmicks than for proper neutral play, really.

Stay aware for your stray 5C hits, because they can be followed in 3 different ways:

-2B > j.2C -Basic followup for good corner carry

-j.B > dj.B > j.C (> j.2D) -The j.2D at the end is used to force the opponent to block, so it's kinda sorta a somewhat of an oki

-2AB > 236AA -You can get a safejump with this knocdown, and it also has corner carry

When breaking personas, go for 5A or 2A rather than 5B. 5A can be jump canceled, 2A has good recovery, while 5B has neither. Speaking of 5B, even though it has 3 hits, you only want the first hit to come out. The other 2 hits are only supposed to be used on crouch confirms or juggle combos.

About combos, I'll give you the fundamental ones every Adachi should know...

5C is for when only the first hit should come out, unlike 5CF (Full 5C); 5B and 2C follow the same rule

Meterless:

-5A > 2A > 5A > 5B > 5CF > 236AA

-CH 2B > j.C(whiff) > 5B > 2C > hop j.C > 5C > j.B > j.A > j.B > j.2C

-CH 2B > j.C(whiff) > 5B(2) > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 5B(2) > 5C > j.B > j.2C(1) > j.2D -Corner only

Meter:

-5A > 5AA > 5B > 236BB > 236236B > 2C > hop j.C > 5B > 2B > j.2C

-5A > 5AA > 5B > 5C > 236236B > 5C > 2C > hop j.C > 2B > j.2C > j.2D -Corner only

Those are the most fundamental combos. As you probably noticed, there's a "2C > hop j.C" string. It has been named "Tennis route". As the first hit of 2C lands, you hop cancel and do j.C, which will send the opponent flying back at you, allowing for the combo to continue. It's the most important combo route for Adachi.

Those are really basic combos, but should be enough to get you started. Now, as I am a self-promoting dick, here's the Adachi pastebin I made containing a ton of info about Adachi and his gameplay. I clearly made it because I was bor- *cough* I clearly made it while having the smiles of the many players that would benefit from it in my mind. :U

http://pastebin.com/iL4VmdZN