Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters 98 UM & 2002 UM: Steam Edition

Its about time! :kitty:

Hope the price(s) would be consistent with the XBLA versions, or more or less, 1st week sales. (That, or wait for a season sale, literally.)

Anyways, the waiting game begins!

These have been on the Steam listings along with XIII for a really long time. I almost assumed they had been canceled.

Awesome that we're getting Nerfed Krauser Edition Final Edition at last. A patch for the 360 version to go alongside it would be nice, but that's too much to ask for. I hope this significantly expands the online player base of both games; they're wastelands on 360.

>>Home consoles

>>Steam

Yeah ok . . .

Anyways, this is cool, but I really hate playing games on my PC :\ But I guess I have no choice now . . .

Also why does everything have to be a quality comparison, both '98 and '02 represent the best forms of their respective eras.

I won't lie, i'm very hyped for 98umfe. I have the steam version of xiii, but end up playing way more the old 98 in ggpo. So it's my chance to suport snk and play the more recent version of 98

Anyways, this is cool, but I really hate playing games on my PC :\ But I guess I have no choice now . . .

At least the system requirements will be low, especially if you can disable 3D backgrounds. These are Type-X1 games.

I personally prefer 02UM to 98UM as well, but they're both incredibly good representatives of KOF's run on Neo-Geo, especially with Krauser knocked down from god tier status in Final Edition. 98UM does offer more variety with its Advanced/Extra/Ultimate meter selection.

I was kinda miffed that we never got 94 Re-Bout, because that early pre-hopping style deserves recognition too, but it really should have been 95 Re-Bout. That was a total improvement over the original in every way, aside from the USA Sports Team getting cut (whyy?).

I hope these carry over the 3D rendered stages from the PS2 ports. They were absent from the 360 XBLA versions. I also hope the netcode is a step up from those, but I'm not really holding my breath.

By the way, I'm looking for KOF '94/95/96 opponents on PS3 (Neo-Geo Station), if anyone is interested. Preferably '95. I hear these versions have stellar netcode, but haven't been able to try it out.

I can't wait to get into 02UM!! I like 98UMFE also, but I love how 02UM plays overall, BC combos and all... I definitely expect to see an army of Nameless players spamming j.C and a bunch of other moves, but there's so many characters that have anti-Nameless moves, Yuri is a good example...

For those interested, here's the wikis on DreamCancel:

http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=King_of_Fighters_98UM

http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=King_of_Fighters_2K2UM

Nameless doesn't even scare me as much as some other characters who aren't as high in the tier lists.  Benimaru will get in your face and just stay there for the entire match no matter what you do.  And if King manages to get you in the corner, man, you are done.  No discussion, your ass is getting KO'd.

To some extent, the pretzel motions on Nameless' DMs are a scrub deterrent.

I used to think that, but then I noticed people started doing the hcb, hcb, df+P shortcut... There were tons of people not using meter at all, and if they did, it was for special spamming since they didn't know how to do his actual BC combo... But there's always that few who actually knew how to play Nameless, which made matches more fun imo...

Nameless doesn't even scare me as much as some other characters who aren't as high in the tier lists.  Benimaru will get in your face and just stay there for the entire match no matter what you do.  And if King manages to get you in the corner, man, you are done.  No discussion, your ass is getting KO'd.

Yeah, there's tons of characters who are equally scary, if not scarier, than Nameless... Kasumi and Orochi Chris are two I can easily say are annoying and deadly... Even some low tiers are ridiculous... Vanessa has this crazy BC combo that does a huge ton of damage... All she needs is meter and one successful hit confirm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU9KCqbral8

If meter-efficient damage were the only important thing for a character to have then Joe would've been Top 5 in 13.

Yeah, pick just about any title in the KOF series and there's a decent chance at least half the cast will have 60%+ damage combos with full meter.

That said, I'm actually not convinced Vanessa is the worst character in 2002:UM.  I wouldn't call myself an expert at the game, but making her a 0 point character when Whip and Angel are worth 1 seems a little strange to me.

If meter-efficient damage were the only important thing for a character to have then Joe would've been Top 5 in 13.

Yeah I wish that were the case... Sadly, even with that combo I posted, some argue that she's "mid" at best, although there's a bit more to their reasoning... I just posted the vid to show how deadly "low tier" characters can be...

Yeah, pick just about any title in the KOF series and there's a decent chance at least half the cast will have 60%+ damage combos with full meter.

That said, I'm actually not convinced Vanessa is the worst character in 2002:UM.  I wouldn't call myself an expert at the game, but making her a 0 point character when Whip and Angel are worth 1 seems a little strange to me.

There's tons of things she can't do in 02UM that she could do in 02, like linking hcf+P from her teleport dashes, you could cancel d.D outside of Max mode, etc... She damn near had an infinite if I recall correctly... In a nutshell, her damage output, and how easy it was have virtually been stripped from her in UM... The usefulness of her tools have been slightly dimmed as well... I personally say she's still good, as I've witness some really strong Vanessa play... The player did have to put in some work though...

Angel is considered slightly stronger than Vanessa mainly due to the fact that most of what she can do in 02 can be done in UM, minus her corner infinite--- and while she got a few nerfs, she actually received a good buff with her qcb+C move having KOF 01- like block stun, and her SDM is beefed up, too...

I will admit though, the tier list overall does need an overhaul...

forgeted to post here, but there was a big event at a-cho kyoto called "dueling the kof", with old 98, 2k2um and XIII climax. A lot of guys from Korea, China and some from France came for the tourney, some from Mexico tryed but weren't able to. Brackets in a-cho site

http://www.a-cho.com/ac/201407_12/duel13th_kof13cl20141101.html

http://www.a-cho.com/ac/201407_12/duel13th_kof9820141101.html

http://www.a-cho.com/ac/201407_12/duel13th_kof02um20141101.html

the footage of 2k2um is in nico, at 60fps

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/46670021

so far, a-cho themselfs have just uploaded the after hours casuals in their youtube channels

Both games have been delayed to "winter schedule," likely because SNKP is preoccupied with their legal throwdown with S-E. There's no way they can stand up to S-E's lawyers; I wonder if this will end with them going back into bankruptcy and getting bought out by Tencent.

Both games have been delayed to "winter schedule," likely because SNKP is preoccupied with their legal throwdown with S-E. There's no way they can stand up to S-E's lawyers; I wonder if this will end with them going back into bankruptcy and getting bought out by Tencent.

I can't get over how monumentally stupid it was for them to file that lawsuit.  If I was in charge of SNKP, I'd fire every lawyer on the staff and deliver their heads to SE as a peace offering.

I personally don't care about the games being delayed because A) I already own 2002:UM, B) I don't like playing fighters on PC, and C) new Guilty Gear in less than a month.  I do hope they can get these titles out ASAP, though, 'cause they seriously need the dough.  SNKP feels like one of those companies that is constantly on the verge of going under (which I guess they more or less have been for roughly a decade now).

I personally don't care about the games being delayed because A) I already own 2002:UM, B) I don't like playing fighters on PC, and C) new Guilty Gear in less than a month.  I do hope they can get these titles out ASAP, though, 'cause they seriously need the dough.  SNKP feels like one of those companies that is constantly on the verge of going under (which I guess they more or less have been for roughly a decade now).

They haven't been as desperate as you think. Even after two major commercial flops (KOF XII & SSSen) and their near-abandonment of the console, handheld and PC markets, they've still been pulling in decent profits from mobile games, pachislots, and licensing out their characters to various Asian companies. Honestly, until the lawsuit they were healthier than Capcom is now, because the gambling sector is very resistant to financial duress (it's also controlled by the yakuza in JP).

Being forced to pay a huge settlement to S-E could really cripple them, though. This will also undoubtedly lead to them being blacklisted from S-E/Taito's NESiCA arcade service, though they could just move to Sega's P-RAS Multi. I am mainly concerned that this will negatively affect development of KOF XIV.

I had given up hope on '98/02:UM Steam releases given the current circumstances, but apparently there are new trademarks for Samurai Showdown VI, '98:UM, and XI for Sony platforms . . .

I had given up hope on '98/02:UM Steam releases given the current circumstances, but apparently there are new trademarks for Samurai Showdown VI, '98:UM, and XI for Sony platforms . . .

So I guess appearent PS2 classics possible? Who knows, but yeah, kinda sucks its delayed, but hey, helps some people with their wallets.

Well, I'm hoping [and that's a BIG hoping] that maybe, just maybe they can be unique ports like the planned version for Metal Slug 3 on PS3/4/Vita