Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters 98 UM & 2002 UM: Steam Edition

much like Accent Core Plus Append. It's not like 98UM Final Edition, which exists to rebalance mechanics that were considered cheap but not buggy.

Actually the append disc for AC+ was to upgrade your AC copy at a discount (like a 1/4 of the price) as opposed to buying the full disc at full retail.

Anyways, SNK finally released their official press release on '02:UM.

It sucks that we're not getting the in-game gallery.  2002:UM has my favorite character artwork of any fighter.

Oh well.  Definitely still worth a purchase if the netcode turns out to be decent.

That does make me legit sad, since next to XI, this is my favorite KoF aesthetically overall from music to art to general design.

And the special illustrations (like Hero Mode May Lee and Wedding Mai) would have been especially nice to have.

Side note that Garou has been announced for another re-release to...something. Most likely the 3 current Playstation platforms, since SNKP just had a poll about that a while ago.

They could have ignored the poll and picked Garou simply because it already has a 360 port, though. I would have preferred Last Blade 2 or SamSho V Special, the latter of which has never received a port off the Neo to date. Both were options to vote on. Real Bout Special would have been cool too; it's the solidest non-reboot Fatal Fury and I haven't already played it to death like Garou.

They could have ignored the poll and picked Garou simply because it already has a 360 port, though. I would have preferred Last Blade 2 or SamSho V Special, the latter of which has never received a port off the Neo to date. Both were options to vote on.

Garou was the most popular game on that poll, followed by Last Blade 2 in second place and SamSho V Special in third.  If they are porting Garou because of the poll (and if they're not then I don't know what the point of that poll was) then there's a decent chance we'll see the other two titles get ports at some point.  I hope it happens.  LB2 is the forgotten treasure of the SNK fighting game library and SamSho V Special is on my video game bucket list.

Yeah thanks, I didn't see what the actual outcome of the poll was.

It sucks that SNKP seems only willing to do Japanese PS2 Archives re-releases of their Atomiswave era fighters. KOF XI and SS Tenka are begging for netplay.

I'm also interested in trying NeoWave, just because Young Geese still hasn't appeared in any other KOF. Unfortunately, it never got a US PS2 release since it came out back in the dark ages of Sony America's anti-2D policies.

Yeah thanks, I didn't see what the actual outcome of the poll was.

It sucks that SNKP seems only willing to do Japanese PS2 Archives re-releases of their Atomiswave era fighters. KOF XI and SS Tenka are begging for netplay.

I'm also interested in trying NeoWave, just because Young Geese still hasn't appeared in any other KOF. Unfortunately, it never got a US PS2 release since it came out back in the dark ages of Sony America's anti-2D policies.

I beleive it also came out on Xbox original in the US. Kinda like SvC Choas.

*groan* Should have known better than to get my hopes up with SNKP. There hasn't been any word on the netplay-enabled PSN release of Metal Slug 3 that was supposed to be out at the end of last year, either...

It may at least be of interest to someone that the smartphone version of Garou will support Bluetooth controllers, so you're not doomed to use the touchscreen. Is this their first mobile port with that feature?

I beleive it also came out on Xbox original in the US. Kinda like SvC Choas.

Yes, SNKP apparently had a good relationship with Microsoft in the late Neo and early Atomiswave years, and they were one of the early supporters of Xbox Live multiplayer. Unfortunately, I don't own an OG Xbox and am very hesitant about buying one, because it recently came to light that tons of them have been getting bricked by timer circuit failures that take so many years to kick in. You can repair them, but it requires a full disassembly and it's a bitch to do. The DVD drives that MS used for the majority of production runs are notoriously flimsy too, something that carried over to the 360.

It may at least be of interest to someone that the smartphone version of Garou will support Bluetooth controllers, so you're not doomed to use the touchscreen. Is this their first mobile port with that feature?

No, '98 also did that, pretty much standard now

lol, kinda expected from SNK-P to "Mobile"lise their shit again, at least its not a patchi-slot game, lol. But hopefully Garou:MotW, or w/e, does indeed come by to PSN and the same to Netplay-Enabled MS3 on PS3/4/Vita.

Anyways guys, I'm already beta testing 2002UM (which unfortunately ends until the 23rd), and just to let you know as I've already mention this, yes, its the same as the 360 port, and I mean literal same, lol. (Also yes, everyone is unlocked at the start, so no need to unlock EX chars and bosses.)

If SNKP was the parent of a young child, they'd give them a birthday present that was like a $10 gift card wrapped in dozens of progressively larger boxes and laugh hysterically every time the kid got down to a new layer.

Anyways guys, I'm already beta testing 2002UM (which unfortunately ends until the 23rd), and just to let you know as I've already mention this, yes, its the same as the 360 port, and I mean literal same, lol. (Also yes, everyone is unlocked at the start, so no need to unlock EX chars and bosses.)

it have some minor differences from xbla, like May Lee has grab invincibility during GCAB, much less recovery frames for GCCD. Robert&Terry can combo after MAX2, only on May. So i wouldn't say it's same, but well.

Online worked perfectly so far, but i just tested with people with stable connection and <100ms.

Yeah, it's out and there don't seem to be any bugs or oversights this time. Had a few very smooth online matches.

It took one messy start for Code Mystics to get their act together, I guess.

Yeah, it's out and there don't seem to be any bugs or oversights this time. Had a few very smooth online matches.

It took one messy start for Code Mystics to get their act together, I guess.

Well, it's alright to make mistakes if you learn from them, I guess.

SNK-Delaymore seems to have struck again, KOF2002UM is not available yet and changed date to "Coming Soon"

EDIT: It just went live

lol

Well, it's alright to make mistakes if you learn from them, I guess.

LOL

FYI: the new PS(3/4/Vita) ports of Metal Slug 3 are hitting 3/24

Yep, at least the 02UM launch didn't go as bad as 98UM, but yeah, its mostly the same as it was on XBLA, at least now for PC though, lol.

And yeah, MS3 finally gets a release date, but that price though, kinda higher what they're going for from the Steam/XBLA ports, but hey, its cross-buy, so that's that.

Given how much of their previous ports to consoles were done by the Chinese, I'm not surprised.

Looks like SNK is being called back to the grave once again.

This changes nothing, it just means that the Psycho Soldier Team will be the new protagonist of the next arc #kappa

02UM will barely run for me. Really inconsistent FPS, drops to 10fps all over the place. Really disappointed, I wanted to play a game where K' is actually good.

Given how much of their previous ports to consoles were done by the Chinese, I'm not surprised.

Yeah, it's not very well known that the majority of their Xbox 360 digital releases were ported by a Chinese team. Probably because they left them out of the credits.

Looks like SNK is being called back to the grave once again.

I wouldn't read too much into it. SNKP will finally have more funding, for one thing. It just remains to be seen whether they'll be banished even deeper into the smartphone/pachinko ghetto, or if they'll continue to deliver occasional console/PC releases (especially KOF XIV). At any rate, SNKP's buyer is clearly aware of the company's history, pedigree and the value its IPs still hold.

I have to ask, what is it about this series that gives its reputation of being "difficult"? I played them like a dirty casual but they're so much fun...

KOF XIII's difficult reputation is well deserved, though for artificial reasons. It probably has the most narrow and demanding input windows for advanced combos in any professionally developed fighting game, ever. 2002 UM has a similar combo system but it's more forgiving.

Most of the Neo-Geo KOFs are easy to get into. It's mainly the Striker Trilogy (99/2000/2001) that tends to bewilder people, since KOF assists are far more situational and less self-explanatory than MvC assists - also, you don't have unlimited use of them. I don't hate strikers, but I fully understand why they've never returned to them since 2001.

XI (my personal favorite KOF) has some pretty in-depth meter mechanics, but it feels closer to a Capcom fighter than your average KOF. With many characters, it's fairly easy to start pulling off crazy shit with Dream Cancels.

I know it's commonly dismissed as an unfinished prototype of XIII, but KOF XII deserves credit for being the easiest game of the series to get into (excluding Maximum Impact), at least for modern players who can't acclimate to the stiff controls and chargeable super meters of 94/95.