Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAI-X

ATTN JOJO FANS: JJBA HD (not All-Star Battle) delisted from XBLA/PSN

Without any prior warning, Capcom has removed their online-enabled "HD" (not really) port of the CPS3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fighter from XBLA in all regions. You can still get it on PSN in the US at the time of this writing, but I've heard it's already gone from the Japanese store. This is undoubtedly due to their contract for the license expiring, and it's truly stupid that they didn't give potential buyers plenty of advance notice and a last-minute fire sale, as they did when they lost their hold on the Marvel Vs. series.

So if you still want the game on PS3, I'd strongly advise you to get on it ASAP before they pull it for good. You'll still be able to retrieve it off PSN/XBL through your account's download list after buying it, even if it's not available for purchase afterwards, so no worries on that front.

I thought about picking this up when it first came out, but a couple of people told me it was a shoddy port.  Between that and not being a JoJo fan (got nothing against the series, I just never got into it) the game didn't seem like it was worth the $20 Capcom wanted for it.  Oh well, there's always All-Star Battle.

They told you wrong. It's a really solid port, better than any of Iron Galaxy's Capcom ports, and the netcode is some of the best I've used despite not being GGPO. The "HD" moniker is dubious, but they scaled up the original graphics very nicely, and redrew the HUD elements & certain effect sprites. Only nitpicks are that it's missing JoJo's Venture (the Dreamcast port let you select it) and Super Story Mode from the PS1 version.

Oh, snap.  Hm, maybe the PSN version is worth getting then...  $20, though.  Argh, so conflicted!

Well, decide soon if you want, cause it might be gone sooner or later, since Jojo B.A. HD is a solid port as Tai-X said, but yeah, missing stuff that could/should have been included in past ports.

Good thing I still have both versions of Jojo B.A. HD before their delistings though.

Tis a shame I'm broke. I guess I'll add this to my list of delisted games that I'll find somebody to game share with me. I never really got into JJBA though.

Ah damn, I was too slow. Is it gone from all regions? Maybe I can still get it from JP PSN.

I don't like the cancerous attitude that high-quality, online-enabled ports of classic fighting games are rendered worthless by GGPO/Supercade. It reinforces any notions publishers may have about their supposed "fans" not actually caring about these games, and being unwilling to support any future sequels with their dollars. It encourages apathy towards established audiences, of the kind we saw when Megaman Legends 3 was famously canceled. It also does a disservice to the efforts and talents of those who work to port the antiquated source code of these games to modern systems without emulation.

If more people had opted to purchase Darkstalkers Resurrection instead of continuing to play Vampire Savior online through illicit means, we might have heard about a new sequel by now. However, Capcom considered it an unsuccessful experiment, and quickly backpedaled from their "Darkstalkers are not dead" promise. You reap what you sow.

That's simply how the market works: people won't buy something they don't want. And it's not even necessarily because they pirate things: I own a copy of Darkstalkers since middle school, but that doesn't mean that I want to buy another one just to show my support of the game. Maybe it's Capcom's fault for gauging interest by selling the game everyone's played already. In fact, most of Capcom's business choices as of late are difficult to call "Smart" or even "Reasonable".

If more people had opted to purchase Darkstalkers Resurrection instead of continuing to play Vampire Savior online through illicit means, we might have heard about a new sequel by now. However, Capcom considered it an unsuccessful experiment, and quickly backpedaled from their "Darkstalkers are not dead" promise. You reap what you sow.

While I agree with the first part of your post 100%, blaming the fans for what Capcom pulled with Darkstalkers isn't fair.  Using stripped-down ports of two games over a decade old to judge interest in a franchise was a terrible idea.  Even so, Resurrection sold enough copies to appear to multiple best-seller lists after its release (despite the fact that a netplay-enabled DS3 was already commercially available on PSN).  Unfortunately, Capcom had this ludicrous notion that the game would break all these digital sales records and let half their CEOs retire early.  When the game only sold very well instead of impossibly well, the higher-ups called it a dismal failure and put the kibosh on anything Darkstalkers-related out of spite.

Fans do have trouble putting their money where their mouths are a lot of the time, but the death of Darkstalkers is entirely Capcom's fault.

Just means that the expectations were unreasonably high.

On 20.09.2014, 11:20:26, RifleAvenger said:

If gameshare is on a per-game basis (instead of a per-account basis), I may be willing to gameshare my PSN copy of the game with someone who really wants it.

Hello, i literally made this account just because i saw your post. Could you please share your account with me? I really, really, REALLY wanted to get Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD VER. but it was already too late when i found out it got removed. Please consider this and PM me if you want to go through with this. I had people gameshare with me lots of times so you can trust me.