Ventus Tatshima

[Xrd] Elphelt Gameplay Discussion "The True Best Girl"

Also, what kind of notations should we use for shotgun stance combos ? Calling them by their name "Thrust", "Launcher", etc might be quite confusing for people trying to learn her.

What do you think if we rather go with the notation SG X to indicate shotgun stance normals ? For example, Thrust would become SG P.

Calling them by their name "Thrust", "Launcher" is not confusing, if you learn a character you should learn her spesials names too :) But there is the other problem - the notation will be too long, while it should be short if possible. I would understand all options, but I think: sg.X would be nice, for example sg.P etc :) Like it is used with jumping moves notaion j.P j.S

If you're feeling dumb and jungle, it's fast enough to stuff a lot of shit, + on block and you can often get at least 5S/5HS if you're close enough.

2s is a decent ground poke for the range it covers, and CH confirm into 5hs is easy enough that even I can do it. Sweep is p fast for its range + can be jump cancelled. 2hs is slow but has low profile. Hopefully it goes under fafnir too, because ch or not you get good stuff off of it. I haven't gotten much mileage out of sg stance yet, you can fd out of run but it feels kinda sucky for neutral and meh for pressure outside of corner since you don't get much off on hit and D is so slow. Outside of ub setups sniper has applications in some matches, and while it's a bitch to aim and real scary to do in real matches I think you can convert off air CH. Also, yerking it slows the opponent down while keeping you in the stance, whoop whoop bullet time.

I've been playing Japanese Elphelts here in the Asia servers and I admit I have no idea how she works so I'm mostly getting surprised by whatever she pulls out.

I'm uploading a batch of close match vids against a runaway Elphelt for you guys if you're interested in seeing her played.

>Updated the wiki with some frame data.
>Updated the frame data page too.
>Updated the combo thread with some combos I transcribed. Not done yet though.
However, it looks quite ugly. If you got an idea to make it easier to read/nicer, please feel free to tell me.
>Added a new rule for the combo thread:

• Unless a specific name is mentioned, the indicated damage is based on Sol with 100% health in order to make it easier. If for some reason the combo doesn't work on Sol, the training dummy will be specified right after the damage value.

Also, there were some stuff that looked quite odd in the frame data so please don't hesitate testing it and pointing out possible mistakes.

About Genoise, if you check the combo threads and the combo videos posted, you will notice that it actually isn't that great at all. Leads to worse damage and corner carry than 214K>RC midscreen and you can't seem to be able to go into shotgun loops with Genoise.

Only reason to use it would be if we find a high tension gain route that could work from Genoise considering that Overdrives got no tension cooldown.

Okay after finnnnnaaally getting my hands on wit elphelt i have a question how does she deal wit charcters such as millia that are consistently in her face

Gonna add your post in the Q&A thread. Matchup questions will probably be answered once we will all have more experiences and your post will probably soon end up forgotten here at this point hence why I'm moving it.

Also please, post in the Q&A thread for this kind of question. That's, after all, the reason why it was made in the first place.

She is without a doubt the most fun i have ever had with a fighting game character everrrrrrrrrr!!!.

Alright so how i feel about her so far is like what moroha said is she seems pretty fair atm but im hoping to lab her and changer that >=3.

Mostly just been working off the grenade in neutral like trying to take the least amount of risk. So throw the nade go in shotgun mode cuz i feel sg.S is a better AA than close.S which generally people will want to jump the nade and if they run at you sg.P and sg.HS are a good way to deal with that. Once the nade blows up if i got a hit i go for oki if i didnt then i back up and get another nade cooked.

Getting a ton of mileage out of Nade oki into shotgun pressure mixing in the command grab and roll crossup mixup when the nade is about to blow up. Not sure how counterhit nade works ill check when i make it home.

Dont know about everyone else but i definetly use Rifle Mode in neutral. Pretty sure its Air Unblockable so what i was doing would throw the nade from full screen and then get them scared to jump when i would load up the rifle. Also still not sure how counterhit rifle works but i did do CH rifle shot>nade hit > rifle shot which was pretty sick. I just love ending the round with rifle shots cuz its like getting the final kill cam kill in call of duty :v:

She seems to have decent normals( and air normals) so thats always really good i just cant figure out how to open people up quite yet without shotgun mode. Im sure you could do something like throwing a nade and timing it to where you do either 6p,throw or a low and the nade explosion will cover you .

I like her cuz i feel you can play her whatever way you like shes very versatile it seems. Will give out more information down the line but so far im really liking her and i bet you can come up with some dirty stuff with her. BTW her last challange is dope

Been messing around with Elphelt and she has an unblockable setup with the rifle.  After you do corner combo into sweep, pull out the grenade and RC your toss, then go into rifle stance and time the shot when the cursor fully focuses.  If you do it too late, they can jump out.  The toss itself hits meaty so they can't do anything about it once they block it.

Off of 50 tension for that RC, you can get a pretty nice combo since it sets up an air juggle.  Haven't messed with optimizing the damage just yet.

Been messing around with Elphelt and she has an unblockable setup with the rifle.  After you do corner combo into sweep, pull out the grenade and RC your toss, then go into rifle stance and time the shot when the cursor fully focuses.  If you do it too late, they can jump out.  The toss itself hits meaty so they can't do anything about it once they block it.

Off of 50 tension for that RC, you can get a pretty nice combo since it sets up an air juggle.  Haven't messed with optimizing the damage just yet.

Is this the "grenade > RC" vortex that I've been hearing people talk about?

Is this the "grenade > RC" vortex that I've been hearing people talk about?

Possibly.  I only messed around with this earlier.  I haven't been keeping up with any recent info, so I wouldn't be surprised if people have already figured it out.  I've been busy lately, but I'm pretty curious on what the meter gain ends up being along with the damage.

720 NoScope Setup seems to be in corner off 2D xx 236P2P RC xx 236S YRC, Shot, Berry Boom, combo. I've been playing a good amount, I'll try to get some match vids for you guys this week.

No idea if people already found out, but you can fuzzy guard with Elphet, both midscreen and in the corner. Corner is easier than mid-screen obviously.

rj.S>(j.P>)dj.S

rj.S(>j.P)|> 5K/2K

The jumping variant doesn't lead to anything, unless of course there's a grenade on the ground when they wake up, just time it so the explosion happens after the second j.S, you can land after the explosión and it leads into an air combo. Add j.P for thick throw set-ups.

This character reminds me of A.B.A kinda, j.D is kinda like orbs, bridal express is kinda like butt, fuzzy guard... All the good stuff.

When's A.B.A ;_;

Edit: This was tested on sol, ky, may, pot, faust and sin, so I assume it works on all the cast, of course some are harder to hit than others, like may and ky, those cunts.

Edit 2: rj.S>j.p>dj.s impossible against faust? Either that or really strict, he's to low to the ground to jump after the j.p (wich it's hard to connect to begin with). rj.s>dj.s doable.

2S can low profile the grenade explosion if you hold onto it too long. Not sure how practical this'll be, but the more you know!

Updated Elphelt's wiki page with all my notes and what I've concluded based on the matches I played offline.
It does have plenty of interesting techs in both neutral, defense and pressure so I recommend everyone to read it. Only moves I didn't edit were the throws, the pineberry, shotgun stance and rifle stance. No need to add anything for the throws but I plan to completely change the current layout for the 3 latters so adding my notes before changing it would make it even messier than it already is.

As usual, if you disagree with something, please don't hesitate pointing it out here.

Another thing I would like to point out is a sentence that was spoken today when I was playing offline with a few friends: "Did you just use 5 RC in a round ?"
That's something that I never noticed before but after comparing with every characters in training mode (Except Sin. Didn't have him at this point.), it actually looks like Elphelt's tension gain is MUCH bigger than the rest of the cast..

Of course, don't take it for granted as stagger pressure is really strong with Elphelt especially in shotgun stance and it builds quite a lot of tension by itself and tension pulse in Xrd is still a variable we don't completely know yet.

(Also, I'll take care of the combo thread tomorrow.)

2S can low profile the grenade explosion if you hold onto it too long. Not sure how practical this'll be, but the more you know!

it can also be backdashed and blitz shielded, it also doesn't hit you during throw and sg.d animations I believe :toot:

Faust felt so far hardest matchup for her. At least for me. I couldn't pick berries in neutral, my ground normals gets stuffed easily and also controls air space well.

It felt okay for me. Probably one of the only matchups where poking for him is very risky. 5H works very well against him. Especially if you got 25 tension to YRC it. Nicely spaced Bridal Express in neutral is also quite annoying for him because he sure doesn't want to trade fS for Bridal. If he thought you would go for 5H, he will block the Bridal and you will be +.

Shotgun is also annoying for him to deal with because he can't play footsies as usual and have to watch out for SG-K. You can use this threat to activate and throw some pineberries too from shotgun stance.

Pineberries works very well in that matchup too and can be used to get in quite easily considering that it doesn't even disappear on hit and it will be hard for the Faust player to get a hitconfirm, combo from it and still avoid it. I had more success with air pineberry than the grounded one however.
Stagger pressure is pretty good too thanks to his wide horizontal hurtbox so make sure to add it in your game. 2H>236H works better in blockstrings against him if he FD due to that.

But yeah, so far, feels like a 5-5 matchup where no characters got hard counters against the other.

If you're curious, the matchup that we concluded to be the hardest in the skype group is actually Millia for obvious reasons. Not unwinnable but definetely bad for her.
Don't take those informations for granted however as it's still too early to really give accurate numbers or definite tips to handle them.

Thank you for cleaning (2H jc) up and updating the wiki.

Something worth mentioning concerning Air Bridal Express. I believe the +9 value is only true if you hit them at their foot, not when you hit them anywhere else like Head height. I was going through Kedakos notes and he mentions somehting like "lowest point of attack". 

In other games, "dive kick" type of moves also use the frame advantage based off impact at foot Lv.

I wanted to kno how everyone felt the matchup against may was i feel its difficult especially with a may that knows how to rush down could use more advise on this matchup

Elphelt struggles when knocked down. Her antiair is tricky (no standard 6P, c.S has a great hitbox but is a close slash), no meterless reversal, and cake super is super risky / clashes with a fair amount of stuff. All to say, you're going to need to beat Millias, Inos and the like in the neutral game, and brush up on your defense, since you WILL be blocking with this character.

Quick Pot tip, don't try 2P berry toss against him, it's an easy flick. 4P lob gives you time to threaten hitting him out of flick startup.