Ventus Tatshima

[Xrd] Elphelt Gameplay Discussion "The True Best Girl"

Looks like air bridal got some properties we weren't aware of

I'll run more tests another day to figure out whether it got some invul or a really weird hurtbox.

broken tech incoming!!

I spent a while trying to recreate the oki situation found in http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25071243 but can't seem to get the j.s to cross up on the way back down. anyone got any advice?

-Updated the wiki overview section with her pros and cons.
-Updated the matchup section with a new layout.
-Added a Credits section in the Gameplay thread's first post.
Here is the basic rule concerning it:

• Any contributor for the Dustloop Elphelt community will directly be added here as long as they have obviously a Dustloop account. People who greatly helped will receive a personal recommendation for a GG award from the Elphelt mod. If you do not wish to have your name in the list, feel free to PM Magaki and tell him.

A few random notes:

About the "unblockable setup":

It's a point that was barely mentionned in the forum but is quite big in many other boards. Reason why I didn't mention it yet was because most people who checked it out could easily see why this is by no means guaranteed and I decided that I would explain this subject a bit later when I'll make the okizeme section. However, after checking a bit here and there, it seems that no one provided an accurate explanation.

So far, we got 2 unblockable setups. The first one was discovered a while ago on Nicovideo. 2 days later, Abelcru made a video quite similar that made it on SRK's frontpage. It basically consists of getting a 2D>236P ender, throw the pineberry with a RC and YRC once in Rifle stance to land an unblockable shot between the toss and the explosion allowing a full combo in the corner.

The second one simply consist of getting an explosion meaty and shooting with powered-up rifle during the explosion's hitstun. You can find some interesting applications here.

Now, the thing here is that this is by no means like Zato's unblockable. It's not guaranteed at all.

For both setups, you have to keep in mind that Blitzshield is a particularly strong defensive mechanics that make both completely whiff. In the first case, if you Blitzshield the toss, you will most of the time make the rifle shot whiff and block the explosion in time. If the shot was delayed, you will hit after the explosion which means you did 45 damage for 75 tension which is, well, far from being the best in terms of ressource/reward ratio. Also, if you delay the rifle shot to hard read a Blitzshield, it also means that your opponent can just jump out between the toss and the explosion. Not really something your opponent can do in reaction but that's one of the first things they might want to try out against the setup so keep that in mind.

Now that you considered that, you need to add another very important variable: Wake-up time. Everyone got a different wake-up time and it will mean that you would need to learn different timings otherwise the explosion will OTG or the opponent can jump out. And if they respect, they will get hit by the unblockable anyway so they will always jump out if they don't want to Blitzshield.
Only thing this setup have that makes it great is its reward if it succeeds AND if the opponent doesn't have the tension to use Blitzshield AND if you pull it off perfectly. Proration is pretty heavy on the unblockable however so you get okay damage at best.

Second setup simply consist of having rather toss>explosion>unblockable rifle. Blitzshield makes it whiff too but like it's shown in the video, you need no tension for the setup. Just if you want to get a full combo afterwards. It's pretty good if your opponent got low health because if you do the unblockable from afar, you basically take no risks at all. If the opponent Blitzshield it to not die, they lose 12,5% tension (BS gives 12,5% back if it succeeds) which is okay for a no risk/low reward option.
Deals very low damage however when the health is low too so killing with that can be very situational.
You might want to rather go for Powered SG-H which deals 8% health in chip damage (ignores guts rating), removes 20% tension if they FD and is +5 on block.

Anyway, I will talk more about it when I'll be done writing the okizeme section.

About 214K and j214K being +:

214K is -5 point blank. It got 12 active frames. You can easily do the maths. There are however no blockstrings so far that can safely use 214K at max range. So far, there are only 2 situations where you can use it.
-In okizeme after 5Hx5 ender or jD midscreen for example even if pineberry is a better choice.
-In neutral situations but the YRC window doesn't go up to the end of the active frames so don't rely on it really.

If you just want the midrange version, delay a bit your normals to have fS hit max range. You can also do some blockstrings like dash 5K>cS>fS>2S>214K that will make you + on block too with no delays at all. Check the frame data of the character you're dealing with. If it doesn't have a normal that comes out in 4 frames or less to deal with 214K>2P, don't hesitate using it (not abusing it, mind you.)

For j214K, it's +10 if you hit the feet. If you hit the top of the head of a standing opponent, it's +0. Also, it got no invul. Just a very weird hurtbox. Don't rely on it too much though and vary your pressure resets !

About midscreen RC>dash 2H combos:

They work fine on Faust but are really weird. ...>2D>214K RC>dash 2H works fine if the dash 2H is done ASAP. For fS>5Hx5 RC combos, you somehow need to hit his legs with 2H to keep the combo going. More like the thighs to be precise to be certain that you will have the right spacing to get cS instead of fS afterwards.
You can also just go straight into dash cS and sacrifice some damage for an easier combo. Your choice. Will point it out in the character specifics section properly next time I'll take care of the combo thread.

Just a note on the meterless unblockable setup, is that it's possible to backdash the berry toss and then jump out for certain setups. You can of course bait the backdash, but overall, it's not worth it.

What have people been using as the best antiairs for her?  Her lack of a normal 6A is really messing me up.

Jumping for air-to-air j.HS or j.D has a decent hitbox but lots of startup and you don't get a ton off them, c.S is good but if you time it wrong you'll get hit out of it really easily / get f.S and everything is terrible.  Haven't had much luck with 2S either, hitbox seems to get beaten pretty easily but I haven't tested enough.  Maybe dash-under 2D, KoF style?

Use cS if people jump-in on your face or are relatively close. It's true that it doesn't have the invul that 6Ps have but it comes out in 5f with a particularly big hitbox. In most situations where 6Ps would work well, cS works too with better rewards. Even when the opponent is too deep and that 6Ps will get stuffed, cS will work because of its sheer speed. It also got a nice hitbox behind her which makes ambiguous crossups in pressure a huge bet against her.
However, because of the way it works, you have to wait more before using it compared to 6Ps hence why it's confusing. It's better to consider it to be like several 2Hs who can be used as AA because of their hitbox like Zato's, Ky's, Millia's etc. Except obviously that cS is much faster

Main air-to-air is jS which is simply her best air normal and will pretty much work in any air situation. You can also use jP but it's not as great as jS and is just one frame faster.
jH got no hitbox behind her however and is much slower. You only get knockdown out of it if you're not too high. If the opponent air techs before touching the ground, they can punish you with an AA afterwards so it's a big risk you're taking on HIT.
jD is only useful in certain matchups and the big recovery makes it quite risky. Thankfully however, on hit, it pushes away the opponent and makes you land before them so even if they air tech afterwards, you can greet them with a cS AA afterwards.

2S AA being very situationnal and unreliable is something that I pointed out in the wiki. Hitbox is directly in front of her which means that it get stuffed by pretty much any air approach. There was a rumor before the game was released that 2S had some head invul but it's not the case at all. Consider it to be for ground footsies only.

Sup guys, been out of FGs for a while, last tournament I competed in was was for GGAC+/BBCS. So now that XRD is here and none of my characters are in it, thought I would try this new character. Look forward to getting y'all help in getting me acquainted with this hilarious character.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but any tips on basic setups, okis, combos I should be focusing on while on my first few days getting used to her and understanding her gameplan?

Sup guys, been out of FGs for a while, last tournament I competed in was was for GGAC+/BBCS. So now that XRD is here and none of my characters are in it, thought I would try this new character. Look forward to getting y'all help in getting me acquainted with this hilarious character.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but any tips on basic setups, okis, combos I should be focusing on while on my first few days getting used to her and understanding her gameplan?

Yeah, there's tons of neat stuff in this very thread. I honestly recommend you go back and read the thread. Not hating, just honest advice.

I've actually been using Blitz Shield to anti air, 'cause people started to space their jump ins to make it harder to c.5S. It's pretty reliable 'cause the window is so long, but it's still a pretty big commitment. Not sure if it's worth it yet.

I think relying on 5HS as your go to anti-air would be poor practice and would leave you heavily baited into being punished by well spaced air dashes.

Learning to and applying cS ASAP is probably the #1 priority i could reccomend

Elphelt is beginning to come off as a bit if a headache with typical BNBs being character specific -_-

I'm still in it for the long run, I just needed to share that. Is Sol the recommended practice dummy?

so i wanna start to use elphelt and i have a couple of questions like what is her main bread and butter combos and whats my game plan when the match starts. Thanks in advance 

Elphelt is beginning to come off as a bit if a headache with typical BNBs being character specific -_-

I'm still in it for the long run, I just needed to share that. Is Sol the recommended practice dummy?

Character specifics are a thing for pretty much every characters in GG. Universal air BnBs aren't common at all.

Though, in Xrd, it seems to be much easier.

Thing with Elphelt however is that she can juggle the opponent which enhance the character specific parts even further.

So far, the only combos that I would recommend are any midscreen combo into a single and basic air combo ender and shotgun loops in the corner.

Like I explained in the character specifics section, we have an universal route now which is cS>jS>djK>jS>delay jH>delay jD. Shotgun loops are also technically character specifics but it concerns only one thing, the {6>Powered SG-H>46H}xN loop.

Like you can see in the combo thread, I didn't post them yet despite the fact that it allows the highest amount of damage possible for 2 reasons:

-Past a certain amount of hits, they become REALLY hard to do.

-Amount of powered shots you can squeeze heavily depends on how thin the character's hurtbox is when wallsplat. On some characters, they completely whiff. Need a lot of testing to check whether it works on everyone or not because you need to walk for a set amount of frames and shoot with Powered SG-H exactly when you enter powered state.

Anyway, character specifics is easily what will be the most time-consuming section in this forum so if you feel like you found something or a combo that doesn't seem to work on some characters, please report it here or in the combo thread. Will buy me some time and figure out better how to handle the section.

And yes, Sol is the recommended dummy. His hurtbox is standard for Elphelt. If you see any damage value with no name, it means that it works on Sol.

so i wanna start to use elphelt and i have a couple of questions like what is her main bread and butter combos and whats my game plan when the match starts. Thanks in advance 

The combo thread is a big WIP at the moment. I posted some meterless universal BnB in the first section of the combo thread. Make sure to learn them. That's what you will always plan to do without tension.

Afterwards, learn RC midscreen combos into RC dash 2H and the shotgun loops corner combos.

Also, read the wiki and make sure you learn everything in it. It got some very important informations. Will also update it either later or tomorrow with my new notes.

Sadly, one of her listed weakness answer your second question:

"Gameplan and useful tools are heavily matchup dependent."

If Zato is hard to get used to but play pretty much every matchup the same, Elphelt is the other end of the spectrum and despite the fact that you have many tools, they can be very good in a matchup while being very bad in another.

Learn her tools and when you should use them and go play some matches. You will figure out by yourselves what I mean.

A habit you should take also: For every combo ender except 5Hx5 ender, get a pineberry and throw it for oki.

If you need some footage, you can download replays of the top ranked Elphelts and look at what they do. Don't expect to see some high level matches yet however as even veterans like Koichi have troubles getting used to her and she has only been out for a few weeks.

Hi,

I was reading the Wiki and noticed this: 

• All Elphelt gun normals (5HS, jD) (Unclear if Shotgun / Sniper stance can activate it) can activate the explosion early by hitting the grenade when it's being thrown and the explosion's damage is bigger than it'd be when self-destructing on you.

Not sure if anyone knows this already, but yes at least sniper stance activates the pine berry. It's one of her trials.

Party time

This may have been mentioned before but I noticed that if you are in shotgun stance and have the power shot ready, if you do something like PPPH or whatever it retains the power shot and you get the wallstick

Party time

This may have been mentioned before but I noticed that if you are in shotgun stance and have the power shot ready, if you do something like PPPH or whatever it retains the power shot and you get the wallstick

Doing P or S while you have a powered shot ready has been known to retain it. It was mentioned when her page was added to the 4Gamer wiki.

Someone I know said that cS hitbox was a joke made by a player. Not sure if it was posted as a joke here or not, but it confused me for a bit.

Do shotgun loops require you to do a perfect reload? Maybe only the powered shot loops? I haven't been able to do a perfect reload yet in the short amount of practice time I've had, are they hard to be consistent with? My execution isn't too amazing. Sorry I'd check videos for the answer but I can't access youtube right now :(