Ventus Tatshima

[Xrd] Elphelt Gameplay Discussion "The True Best Girl"

Found a little bit of weirdness I thought I'd share. If you [2P/4P Grenade Toss] > YRC, it's possible to YRC before the berry actually comes out, at which point you can try the toss again. But if you do this in Shotgun Stance, the grenade entirely disappears. It doesn't come out, and the timer keeps ticking down, but it won't flash or explode on you. Feels kind of like a bug. Not sure if this is actually useful but it is definitely odd.

Lots of tears for our waifu in the main discussion thread.

At least they can't grab your pad and brake it like my little bro did  :lol: he was so tired of my bullshit that day.

Don't forget to link any comedy gold lines here guys o/

Don't really mind them though. From what I saw in the main and tier discussion thread, most people there don't really know what they are talking about.

Anyway, new tech I mentionned in the skype group but forgot to explain here:
jD's YRC window is silly.

Generally, for a normal, the general rule is that you got an YRC window that goes from startup to part of the active frames. There are exceptions however and jD is one of them. In a silly way.

The YRC window concerns the startup, active frames AND recovery frames all the way up to the landing recovery. To be more specific, if you do jD, you can YRC at any point in the air. If you land and YRC, it will be a PRC. Why it's useful is actually because jD without tension is a big commitment due to the huge recovery that makes up for the great hitbox. If you got 25 tension however, it becomes an option with almost no risk kinda like 5H YRC.

I know this is probably kinda silly to ask, but what makes her so dominant/scary?

She has hilarious damage / chip / meter build capabilities off solid stagger pressure in the corner with Shotgun stance, but the main thing is a good space control oriented button set combined with Pineberry, which pre-patch is easily one of the most versatile moves in the game and just overall a hilariously good move.

Fuck berry pine:(. She also has really good normals, and her entire toolkit is just really fucking good and versatile. I don't think there is anything she doesn't have other than like a meterless reversal and a 3 frame jab. Ugh this character lol

She has no reliable anti-air. c.S only works if they're right above you.

6H disagrees. The payoff may not be the best, but that button does its job in most cases cS doesn't work in. It's Gordeau balancing, basically - she can play at any distance, but there are distances she gets good payoffs at and distances her payoffs are pretty crap at.

You gotta do 6H hella preemptively though. It's not really something that you can do in reaction to most jump ins. Once it's out, it's jokes though.

2S isn't very good AI, c.S only works if they're above you, 6H is way too slow to use on reaction, and 5H only covers her front. There's a giant angle above in front of her where people can approach her from (and often do) that she has no good answer to. 

Yeah, basically anything that closes in on her from a 45° angle can be hard to deal with. The things that c.S beats are beaten pretty cleanly though. If someone just constantly IADs towards with characters like May (bit higher in the air where your other ground normals won't stuff IAD approaches, basically), 6H will work well, but as people pointed out, they'd have to be pretty simplistic in their approach to get caught by that often. Any time you can't meet them air-to-air or get a reliable anti-air out, all you're left with is repositioning yourself with IAD backwards, backdash, dash under. As Icekin said, 2S just sucks. The thing about repositioning is, it's not even that bad. Yeah, you're losing screen position, but you can cover your retreat with pineberry or just keep it on you until you land and work from there.

The gist of it is that she has a lot of situational anti-airs but no true anti-air with frame 1 head invul like a traditional 6P or whatever.

c.S's only weaknesses are the proximity trigger and lack of head invul frames.

5H is not really an anti-air, but it's an excellent tool for catching people trying to jump or otherwise coming down from around 5H's max range. It requires FD to block so at the very least it forces people to burn their meter.

2S I think is pretty amazing as long as you understand that it's not suitable for all situations and your aim is not always to hit. The opponent needs to be at a particular spot for you to actually anti-air people with it, but even if you don't connect with the move it's going to low profile a *lot* of aerial approaches (just understand you're not going to low profile something like a deep Ram/Leo j.K in front of you). You generally want to throw it out for early air attacks that don't have the active frames to go all the way to the ground or attacks that are close to crossing up (so doing a 2S will low profile and they will land on the other side and whiff even if they have additional active frames). When done right, the resulting whiff from the opponent generally leaves you in a favorable position, and depending on how early their attack was you can catch them on their landing frames and throw.

Only 6H will cover the area above and in front of her, and while it's generally too slow, with YRC you can throw it out  pre-emptively every now and then if you expect an IAD or something to that effect. If you notice it's going to whiff, YRC. Heck, if you have 25-49% tension, just OS it. It may seem expensive but the reward on CH is huge, and even without it you get a knockdown.

2H can low profile aerial approaches in many situations, but it's another move you generally want to have meter to YRC. By itself even if you can low profile something the recovery on whiff makes it very risky. If you can YRC it while you slide under somebody you can try and catch them in the air while they're whiffing something.

Hey people! New to GG here and I picked this character (because of the visuals) to give it a shot. Could someome advice me with some basics? I mean: Nice moves for neutral, one or 2 pressure strings that are useful, etc

I just started to play matches knowing some basic BnBs and I found terrible times to come into range of 2P/5K without being disrespected. Ty!

Hey guys, potemkin main here looking for a sub that covers some of his bad match-ups. Ok, since most of the cast is considered a bad match-up for him, I'm specifically talking about the unbearable match-ups(Axl, Eddie, Faust), was considering ram but not only is she really awkward to learn... she's also not very good anymore. I'm not down with playing the worst 2 characters in the game so I figured I'd check out her sister instead.

So I guess my question is, would you say Elph is a nice sub for a potemkin player? Should I stick to my original plan of learning Ram? Am I even asking these questions in the right forum? 

Hey guys, potemkin main here looking for a sub that covers some of his bad match-ups. Ok, since most of the cast is considered a bad match-up for him, I'm specifically talking about the unbearable match-ups(Axl, Eddie, Faust), was considering ram but not only is she really awkward to learn... she's also not very good anymore. I'm not down with playing the worst 2 characters in the game so I figured I'd check out her sister instead.

So I guess my question is, would you say Elph is a nice sub for a potemkin player? Should I stick to my original plan of learning Ram? Am I even asking these questions in the right forum? 

playing a sub par elphelt will get you killed probably worse than potemkin against good players 

If you just want a sub with a godlike effort/reward ratio, Faust would certainly be the best.

Elphelt is a close second I would say or could be tied with Sol or Millia but definetely a great sub.

Only matchup I could think of where it's definetely not in her favour would be Millia and that's it.

About her learning curve, you can easily pick her up and get great rewards with just fundamentals and basic gatlings. Afterwards, once you will want to optimize your confirms and step up your game, optimized berry launches, shotgun loops and unblockable setups will allow you to kill people very fast just for making a few mistakes which makes her completely worth it both for beginner and high level plays.

So yeah, she's completely worth it as a sub.

playing a sub par elphelt will get you killed probably worse than potemkin against good players 

Lol, well despite what my post might imply I'm not planning on letting her do all the work for me. I do intend to put the effort into actually learning her shenanigans and all that good stuff. 

If you just want a sub with a godlike effort/reward ratio, Faust would certainly be the best.

Elphelt is a close second I would say or could be tied with Sol or Millia but definetely a great sub.

Only matchup I could think of where it's definetely not in her favour would be Millia and that's it.

About her learning curve, you can easily pick her up and get great rewards with just fundamentals and basic gatlings. Afterwards, once you will want to optimize your confirms and step up your game, optimized berry launches, shotgun loops and unblockable setups will allow you to kill people very fast just for making a few mistakes which makes her completely worth it both for beginner and high level plays.

So yeah, she's completely worth it as a sub.

Good to know, guess ill start working on my elph game after work tonight. Good thing there's like a novel covering her basics and shit so I won't have to keep posting about questions every other day.