Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anne

[CP] News and Gameplay Discussion 2.0

You must have forgotten how many Nu players on DL itself were complaining about it.

2 other characters come to mind that constantly change styles during combat come to mind (Valk and Litchi) and are widely considered much more technically demanding.  Was mode change really that big a problem?

That's the thing though. Valk and Litchi are always going to be technically demanding because of their Drive that has always been with them. Asking Nu players to adapt to a completely new thing at the click of your fingers is unrealistic.
Also, the input to change was stupid, whereas Valks and Litchi required one button press to switch over.

That's the thing though. Valk and Litchi are always going to be technically demanding because of their Drive that has always been with them. Asking Nu players to adapt to a completely new thing at the click of your fingers is unrealistic.

Also, the input to change was stupid, whereas Valks and Litchi required one button press to switch over.

I wouldn't say it was that unrealistic. There was a change from CT to CS just as there was a change from CS to CP. The only difference is that we received BOTH versions in CP. The motion to change(22A) was quite natural to cancel things with in my opinion. Not much unlike Aigis in P4U. No one said characters can only become technical through their drive either. If this game was that one-directional, I doubt many of us would have stuck with it for so long.

So making her combos a bit more difficult was a bad thing?  If memory serves me correct, it was a running joke that all you had to do with Nu/Lambda was press DDDDDD for combos.

CP and mode change gave her so many avenues for combos..utilizing practically every move she has. It had been far from the famed "DDDDD" for a bit (minus her air ender, of course), but CP really broke away with potential creativity.

Fundamentally changing a character like that is a bad thing.
CT Nu changing into CS Lambda isn't as much of a big thing imo because it was the first iteration of the character. Having stuck by the Lambda format for three games, you'd think they wouldn't change her so fundamentally once more.
Dividing her into two different characters seems to be the more ideal solution from Arc, so if we just stop moaning about whats happened and just accept it, then that would be great.

CT Nu changing into CS Lambda isn't as much of a big thing imo because it was the first iteration of the character. Having stuck by the Lambda format for three games, you'd think they wouldn't change her so fundamentally once more.

Dividing her into two different characters seems to be the more ideal solution from Arc, so if we just stop moaning about whats happened and just accept it, then that would be great.

Who's complaining?  I'm just saying that making her a bit less "LOL D mash FTW" was a good thing.  Nu actually seemed a bit more challenging and refreshing to toy around with for a change.

You would be right if this was right. Nu/Lambda have always been the same fundamentally. She zones, does big whammy damage, and dies in the corner. Changing her fundamentally would be like transforming her into a pure rushdown character or a grappler.

You would be right if this was right. Nu/Lambda have always been the same fundamentally. She zones, does big whammy damage, and dies in the corner. Changing her fundamentally would be like transforming her into a pure rushdown character or a grappler.

I concur; I don't think giving a character a "mode change" that doesn't even REALLY fundamentally change how they work (VALK's mode change fundamentally changes how he works.  CP Nu's mode change...altered the properties of some of her moves.) really doesn't count, to me, as fundamentally changing the character.

Lambda wasn't really a mash D kind of character to begin with

Not mash per se, but it was really difficult to find a combo where she didn't press D at least 5-6 times minimum.  Getting 2k off of the same button seems rather braindead to me.

Not mash per se, but it was really difficult to find a combo where she didn't press D at least 5-6 times minimum.  Getting 2k off of the same button seems rather braindead to me.

Well she has attacks named after cars, so of course she'd be using her drive.

... That was awful, sorry.

So making her combos a bit more difficult was a bad thing?  If memory serves me correct, it was a running joke that all you had to do with Nu/Lambda was press DDDDDD for combos.

Lambda was kind of the first character I picked up, because I could hop into training mode with no practice and do some nice 4k combos. Anyway, it is the change that's a problem and that upset a lot of people. Lambda/Nu was never a character that required any kind of technical skill, so CP put a lot of people off. 

People that played technical chars in the first place were playing them for a reason, and were ok with it.  They do try to have these different characters for different people.

Well, people choose characters for many different reasons. I really enjoy technical characters, but I chose Nu when BB was announced due to design and general playstyle. I was actually thinking of skipping BB or playing Rachel had she not been announced. I can't refute the point that a lot of people do enjoy characters with low learning curves and I could easily see the CP changes being a large turnoff in that aspect.

You have a point. I recall the TK loops being rather braindead.

what errol said

nu players dont play her for execution

Understandable.  Nu should be played because you enjoy the character......however, did the mode change really make her that difficult? 

You have a point. I recall the TK loops being rather braindead.

braindead? I always thought tk anything required at least a little effort.

Answer, currently there have been no mention of international plans for CPX. It is, of course, an eventuality but at the moment nothing has been shared.

Understandable.  Nu should be played because you enjoy the character......however, did the mode change really make her that difficult? 

It was more awkward than anything.  You suddenly had to jam 22D in middle of combos just to do a standard combo.  Before she was a straightforward drive/special character that swapped good zoning for hard execution.  Suddenly, she became quite a bit more technical for no good reason.  People who played her before didn't like that.  It would be like giving Ragna a ton of links like Hakumen, or something like Ratchel's drive, to combo.

Of course, plenty of people who didn't like Nu originally suddenly warmed up to her.  But, you didn't like here in the first place, did you now?  Doesn't really count, does it?

It was more awkward than anything.  You suddenly had to jam 22D in middle of combos just to do a standard combo.  Before she was a straightforward drive/special character that swapped good zoning for hard execution.  Suddenly, she became quite a bit more technical for no good reason.  People who played her before didn't like that.  It would be like giving Ragna a ton of links like Hakumen, or something like Ratchel's drive, to combo.

Of course, plenty of people who didn't like Nu originally suddenly warmed up to her.  But, you didn't like here in the first place, did you now?  Doesn't really count, does it?

The reason was that you gained access to almost twice the specials as before in a fluid (free) cancel mechanic. 22A wasn't a bad input considering how many she already had for specials. I don't really understand the last statement, but I'm leaving it at this. This has derailed the thread enough.

Question, when will extend come out in NA? 

My guess is around the beginning of summer, although lack of any kind of info is hindering my psychic powers at this point.

I know that ArcSys USA recently spoke on Twitter about recording English dialogue for an unspecified game, one that is likely Extend. No announcement, but the recording concluded around the end of January.