Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Q&A Thread

P4U2_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

Ask a question, get an answer! If you see a question you're knowledgeable about feel free to share. If you are not sure you're qualified to answer something please do not provide answers, we don't want people learning the wrong things here.

Most of the following will be explained assuming you know basic dustloop notation. If you know what 236B or 214C mean, you’re good to go.

If you don’t, please visit this page: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation

Frequently Asked Questions:

“What are Adachi’s little icons above his meter bar? What do I do and how do I get them?”

They are his buffs. Adachi will lose them if he gets Persona Broken

P4AU_Adachi_Buffs.png

The orange one with Adachi’s face is acquired by hitting an opponent with the Heat Riser super (A or B). It’ll still be acquired if you whiff the SB one.

This buff grants Adachi a 10% attack and defense boost. Said buff does not affect Minimum Damage, nor for Adachi nor the opponent.

The purple one is the Mandala buff. It will be granted on block, hit or whiff with any version of Magatsu Mandala. However, if you’re hit during the first frames of Mandala, you will not get the buff 

The mandala buff does not buff Adachi, but his Persona. After it, every Persona-based move will cause additional Status Ailments:

Poison: 5C, j.C, Atom Smasher.
Shock: 5D, 2D, j.2D, Megidola.
Rage: Heat Riser.
Panic: Magatsu Mandala.
Silence: 2C, j.2C.

Furthermore, Ghastly Wail will always do additional stabs, increasing the damage of the super to a minimum of 1400.

“What is the tennis/hop route and how do I do it?”

The tennis route (hop route) is Adachi’s key combo extension route, which helps him do a lot of  damage.

To do it, you want to do 2C, hop cancel (down+roll), and then do 5C. If you did it right, Magatsu-Izanagi will do J.C by himself in the air, tossing the opponent back to you for a combo extension. It’s a very good combo route and it’s really easy to do after a bit of practice.

You can do it out of anything as long as it’s not too prorated before the 2C. 

ADD VIDEO CONCEPT

"Any easy ways of clearing Challenge 25?"

Watch this video here:  

“How do you make Magatsu Izanagi do Mandala from fullscreen?”

Magatsu-Izanagi can do any kind of attack from the position he’s in, not from Adachi’s. There are only two exceptions, B Mandala and Evil Smile. They will always be done from Adachi’s original position.

For example, you can do 2C>Ghastly Wail for a full-screen grab.

If you use Evil Smile or B Mandala, Izanagi will return to your position.

“I’ve seen people use tackle after a hop J.C and causing a slide instead of the grab. How do I do it?”

What you need to do is, delay the hop J.C longer than usual, then do 236BB/SB (the A one won’t work)­­.

I personally don’t use it that much, as it “only” adds 400 dmg or so. (depending on the combo it might add more). You might also either drop it, allowing for a punish, or get an unwanted side-swap. Plus, it requires character specific timing, due to different falling speeds. In short, it’s a situational/risky combo extension route

This route is harder to do on Yukiko, Sho , Minazuki and Kanji, to the point of being impractical on them.

“There are times when I can do a J2.D as ender, but the same combo will drop other times. Why is this?"

J2.D has a height limit. If you get them too high it’ll whiff.

You’re probably doing the 5B after the hop J.C too early and getting them too high or misstiming the 2C/J2.C.

If you think it’s not either of those, make sure your combo wasn’t too priorated.

Why does Ghastly Wail not hit in my combo? I’m sure the claws hit the opponent!”

Why does Ghastly Wail not hit in my combo? I’m sure the claws hit the opponent!”

Ghastly Wail is a command grab. You can’t combo into it without putting your opponent into spin state. This means that, to land GW you need at least 75 meter.

Boss Mode Adachi does not have this restriction.

More to be added.

Ok so I don't get how to get Magatsu to attack the enemy back down after landing what a believe is a 2C

The slam is special cancelable. Try doing A mandala (214214A) right when Magatsu does the slam.

You can't do B mandala because it uses Adachi's location and has longer startup.

EDIT: You could also try doing 214214 when Magatsu is going to the ground so you only have to press A when he slams

Ok so I don't get how to get Magatsu to attack the enemy back down after landing what a believe is a 2C

The slam is special cancelable. Try doing A mandala (214214A) right when Magatsu does the slam.

You can't do B mandala because it uses Adachi's location and has longer startup.

EDIT: You could also try doing 214214 when Magatsu is going to the ground so you only have to press A when he slams

I think he actually meant how to do the piece of BnB where you knock the opponent back towards you with j.C.

The way to make this happen is to short hop cancel the first hit of 2C (with 2AC) and then press C afterwards.

Right my bad. I went with Magatsu Mandala but he meant Magatsu Izanagi.

What Antiquarian said. You can get Magatsu Izanagi to do the claw move that sends them back to Adachi by hop cancelling 2C when it hits and after that you do 5C.

I just picked up the game recently and I'm trying to learn Adachi. I know the basics and whatnot, but one thing I'm having trouble which is getting 214A after a 236AA. Is there some timing involved to get 214A to even come out?

In some combos, I notice people do a followup 236AA > 5B to a 2C > j.C in the corner, but I can never seem to replicate it. Is there some sort of secret to it?

That's the Slide Route. You're doing the wrong stance. It's actually 236BB as weird as it sounds. It's kind of hard to do because sometimes you get the grab backwards but it pays off a lot IMO.

In some combos, I notice people do a followup 236AA > 5B to a 2C > j.C in the corner, but I can never seem to replicate it. Is there some sort of secret to it?

That's the Slide Route. You're doing the wrong stance. It's actually 236BB as weird as it sounds. It's kind of hard to do because sometimes you get the grab backwards but it pays off a lot IMO.

If I recall, the proper input is along the lines of

5AA > 5B >5C, A+C, 236BB > 5B, 2C>2A+C, j.C, etc

Correct?

I just picked up the game recently and I'm trying to learn Adachi. I know the basics and whatnot, but one thing I'm having trouble which is getting 214A after a 236AA. Is there some timing involved to get 214A to even come out?

How do I do 236AA> 214A? Some combos end with it but I don't see how its possible, the recovery on 236AA seems too long

I stopped myself from saying anything, but now that this has come up twice, I'll step in.

I think this is a typo or mistake in the combo topic- I've never seen this done before.

I would rather safejump after 236AA anyways, so I don't think you are missing out on much.

I stopped myself from saying anything, but now that this has come up twice, I'll step in.

I think this is a typo or mistake in the combo topic- I've never seen this done before.

I would rather safejump after 236AA anyways, so I don't think you are missing out on much.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they mean sweep into 214A, because that actually works.

I want to learn how to play as Adachi. Is there anything I should practice first(Neutral, combos, etc)?

Just some general tips:

- Protect your cards as best you can, Adachi is VERY weak without M. Izanagi

- j.C is VERY good, in terms of airborne hitbox and potential on CH.

- 2B is an anti-air that will be helpful to learn how to use, on CH you get a full punish combo

- 2C>hop>5C is important part of many combos, learn how to do this.

- 236BB into Heat Riser(236236A/B) for an easy buff

- 5D is good to force blocking, run in case it hits because wallsplat gets a full combo; careful

because it's basically free meter for your opponent, especially for Shadow characters

- 2D is a quick fullscreen option, but it is easy to lose cards this way.

- When in doubt, Atom Smasher (236236C/D)

Combos:

5AA>5B>5C(4 hits)>2AB>214A

5C(4 hits)> 2B>2C>214214A (50 meter)

5AA>5B>5C(1hit)>236236B>dash forward>2B>2C>hop>5C>5B>2B>2C>

Kinda rushed this, anyone else should be beter qualified to help you. Hopefully this helps.

- When in doubt, SB Atom Smasher (236236CD)

Combos:

Kinda rushed this, anyone else should be beter qualified to help you. Hopefully this helps.

All good but I'd like to point out that you should specify that 214214A comes after 2C's second hit (Slam)

And praise the lord SB Atom Smasher

Just some general tips:

- Protect your cards as best you can, Adachi is VERY weak without M. Izanagi

- j.C is VERY good, in terms of airborne hitbox and potential on CH.

- 2B is an anti-air that will be helpful to learn how to use, on CH you get a full punish combo

- 2C>hop>5C is important part of many combos, learn how to do this.

- 236BB into Heat Riser(236236A/B) for an easy buff

- 5D is good to force blocking, run in case it hits because wallsplat gets a full combo; careful

because it's basically free meter for your opponent, especially for Shadow characters

- 2D is a quick fullscreen option, but it is easy to lose cards this way.

- When in doubt, Atom Smasher (236236C/D)

Combos:

5AA>5B>5C(4 hits)>2AB>214A

5AA>5B>5C(1hit)>236236B>dash forward>2B>2C>hop>5C>5B>2B>2C>

Okay, this will be very helpful, thank you! One more thing. Any advice on "playing dirty"? I've been told to play dirty with Adachi.

CH Combos with what particular starters, what meter restrictions, etc, so vague.

Typically though if you're reacting to something punishable it'd go something like so.. for midscreen anyway

Collapsed: Midscreen 5C:
Collapsed: Meterless:
  • 5C(1)>IAD jC>(66)5AA>5B>5C>Sweep>214A for midscreen, 2978, 24 meter
  • 5C(1)>IAD jC>665B>2B>jC>(66)5AAA>236AA for crouching/fatal midscreen,  3278, 35 meter, auto combo to ensure knockdown for safejump,
  • 5C(1)>IAD jC>665B>2B>jC>665B(2)>5C>Sweep>236A(A/2D) another crouching/fatal midscreen, 3564/3262, 27/24 meter, offers safejump/meaty 2D oki, latter of which at the distance this creates will beat all DPs that aren't Yosuke's. (Cuz you know, screw him)

Collapsed: SB Gunshot:
  • (5B/)5C(1)>Sweep>214AB>5B>2C>Hop jC>5B>2B>j2C (2817, -17 meter) 3417, -15 meter, standard midscreen hop route withj 2C knockdown blah blah
  • 5C(1)>Sweep>5B>2C>Hop jC>5C(1)>jcjB>j2C 3489, -15 meter, optimal if only by 72 damage, this uses the tricky 5C after midscreen hop, probably not worth it from a netplay standpoint
  • 5C(1)>IAD jC>665B>5C(1)>Sweep>214AB>5B>2C>Hop jC(>5B)>2B>j2C (4034,-7 meter) 3991, -7 meter, crouch/fatal only standard gunshot hop route, (will cause j2C to air tech)

Collapsed: Heat Riser Midscreen:
  • 5C(1)>IAD jC>665B>5C(1)(>Sweep¹)(>236BB²)>236236B(>5B³)>2C>hop jC>5B>2B>j2C (¹4785, -32 meter) (²4877, -32 meter) (³4508, -35 meter) (¹³4800, -32 meter) (¹²5067, -29 meter) (²³ 4892, -31 meter) (¹²³5133, -28 meter) 4470, -35 meter, standard HR hop route, (¹,¹²,¹³,¹²³,² Crouch only) (³,¹²,¹³,²³,¹²³ will cause j2C to air tech) 

Collapsed: Midscreen 2B:

Meterless

Collapsed: Heat Riser:
  • 2B>whiff jC>5B(>236B)>236236B>5B>2C>hop jC>5B>2B>j2C (3985, -38 meter) 3650, -42 meter, standard HR hop route, landing 236BB is height dependant, j2C will air tech 

Thaaaaaaaaaat's pretty much all I'ma write before I sleep tonight, I'll put some corner/back to corner stuff in the combo thread when I wake up I guess. Remember this is all also very flexible and you should always try to go for gold but just do what's currently working for you, blah blah. Consider the knockdown/damage factor and remember you can use our infamous awakening supers after j2C usually. But I'm not gonna cover every route so shortly and all. (Or at all really lol)

Also do pardon how confusing I might be about all this ;A;

For someone trying to learn Adachi, What would you say are the most common combos used in competitive play?

It depends a lot on the situation and on what side you want to keep the opponent in.

The main BnB's any Adachi player should know are:

5AA>5B>5C> and ender, which can be sweep+Gunshot or any of the 236A/B series for corner carry

5AA>5B>5C>Heat Riser (B)>5B>2B>J.2C for midscreen damage + buff install

Sweep>SB Gunshot>5B>2C>hop>J.C>5B>2B>J.2C for midscreen damage + corner carry and possible mandala / riser install

If I remember right the first two combos can be done with J.C as starter, which is also a common starter.

And last the anti-air one meterless for 3.2k 

CH 2B>whiff J.C so you land to the ground>5B>2C>hop>J.C>5B>2B>J.B>J.2C 

There are more combos/better optimized for Adachi on the Combo thread so please check it out.

It would also be a good idea to learn combos that have Megidola as starter as well as Mandala combos. They're not as hard as they look and some of them are pretty optimal. This one is a good example:

http://youtu.be/YuEvKbhAW6w

For someone trying to learn Adachi, What would you say are the most common combos used in competitive play?

In the corner after the full 5C animation is over you can do 2A and either go for a grab reset if they tech up-back or go for a anti-air unblockable reset with 2B>j.2C>land>5B>2B>j.2C as an ender and gor for another mixup or reset there ya go