Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luis

The Queen of Heart 99

This is a really old fighting game for the PC that I have startled playing for the first time this month on the 14th. This is a crossover game with characters made by leaf, like To Heart, White Album, Comic Party and Kizuato. I'm really enjoying the game. It's feels like an early Aquapazza because of the familiar characters and the 2 vs 2 mode. You can play 2 vs 2 here but instead of having assist, all four characters are fighting. There's guard break in this game so you can't block forever. Every character can double and that can help extend your combos. Only some of them have air dashes. One of the characters has a cheap air dash and that's Corin. Her forward air dash is really fast. It can be impossible to get her out at times and for some reason she does a lot of damage. She's probably the best in the game. I have been beating her on hard with Yuki though, after learning combos and Corin's patterns. I had to start from easy because I have never tried to learn how to play a fighting game with a keyboard before.

The super meter can go up to 9 but you will never reach that. You're mostly likely going to be using them before it gets there. You can't gain meter by whiffing anything. Strong level 3 supers are in this game. Back dashing has invisibility until you land on the ground. You can perform a fast forward jump if you jump at the start or at the end of your forward dash. What may be surprising is that it looks like this game has clashing from Arcana Heart where if two moves meet each other, they will clash and the loser will gets hit so this game had clashing before Arcana Heart. The only way to practice in training mode is to press F4 during a match, while the opponent is a human controlled character. Pressing F4 will give both characters infinite health and meter.

I was surprised that this game has this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjhTZpylIY This is the same music that plays in Aquapazza in the Ryokan Tsurugiya stage. That was my favorite stage to pick in training mode because of the music. The game only runs on Windows 98, 2000 and XP. I have Windows XP.

I remember this was an early favorite with the Insert Credit/Madman's Cafe crowd, waaaay back when Westerners were just discovering doujin games for the first time and before the Touhou craze was in full swing. It quickly got eclipsed by Eternal Fighter Zero and Melty Blood though.

Amazingly enough, Madman's Cafe still exists, though there's only about five people left on the forums.

i have played this and Queen of Heart 2001 out of curiosity, as it's by pre-2003 french bread (Watanabe Seisakusho). It's very cool to see Kizuato chars (as it's a main inspiration for tsukihime) and various shoutouts to kof chars. And the animation of some chars normals/specials too, like shizuru beeing kind of a prototype to v-akiha.

Other thing i noticed is reverse chains (going from strong to weak), that are preset in qoh99, 2001, mb, unib and dfc. As in those earlier games airdash was not universal (but double jump was), they may be kind of similar to dfc feel.

Does anyone know why the color of this game keeps messing up and turning all green? Did this ever happened to you? It happens every time I play this. The color goes back to normal whenever someone does a super, go to the next round or when I raise or lower the volume of the Laptop but then it comes back. I tend to fix it during a match by pressing the volume button whenever I make my character do a move that makes me lose control of her like, Yuki air CD fireballs. This will make my opponent have to block it while I try to fix the color.

This is what I mean: http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Luis2_06/media/Queenofheart99_zps27ace4f0.jpg.html?state=replace I'm not sure if there's anyway to make it stop doing that. By the way I don't like how the higher the difficulty the more damage the CPU does. People should avoid playing the highest one, which is called Hell. The enemies can kill you with just one combo or three to four hits. Corin became a score attack boss. I thought she naturally deals big damage but it was really the difficulty. Nightmare seems almost ok until they keep getting in.

This is what I mean: http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Luis2_06/media/Queenofheart99_zps27ace4f0.jpg.html?state=replace I'm not sure if there's anyway to make it stop doing that. By the way I don't like how the higher the difficulty the more damage the CPU does. People should avoid playing the highest one, which is called Hell. The enemies can kill you with just one combo or three to four hits. Corin became a score attack boss. I thought she naturally deals big damage but it was really the difficulty. Nightmare seems almost ok until they keep getting in.

EFZ has the same problem on a lot of post Win7 computers, and the general bandage solution is to turn off Windows Explorer when you run the game. You can either write a batch file that turns it off when you run the game, or you can open the task manager and close it through there.

Thanks that worked. No more messed up colors. It's explorer.exe and deleting it removes the the start button and tabs, but I can bring it back by typing in explorer.exe in the task manager.

Turns out there's an easier way. If you open up the config file and turn on 16-bit colors (it's the last/3rd checkbox), it'll also fix it without forcing you to kill Windows Explorer. I felt obligated to play this game again anyway, and ended up finding this out.

Not only did the 16-bit colors fixed it, it also added the characters portraits when they do a super in 2 vs 2. It also changed some of the colors of the clothes that the people in the background are wearing. I was testing the difficulties to see if there's any differents on what the CPU does. It looks like they do the same thing in Normal, Hard, Nightmare. All the difficulties higher than normal does is make them do more damage. Normal is the best one to play 2 vs 2 because the damage is low here and the enemies are still at their best since their aren't any smarter in Hard and Nightmare. I was getting annoyed from getting killed by high damaging normal attacks and supers that takes half your health away.

I have been playing this everyday. Really addictive and I have gotten better with Yuki. I still can't do DP on keyboard when I need it. There's one thing I realized is that projectiles are probably almost useless in 1vs1 high level play, because back dash has invincibility and you can destroy them too by hitting them. You can't reversal back dash though. Yuki and Rina would probably be overpowered if they weren't breakable. I like the music in this game but since my favorite team to use in 2vs2 is Yuki and Rina, I don't get to hear them often because the White Album music will play in every stage if you have them on the same team. :lol:

There's a site that has all the character's move list and their win quotes translated: http://kitchen.realotakuheroes.com/games/qoh99_charlay.htm

I found high level matches. There's no sound though. I'm surprised with all the combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BrF5t-mdn8