Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoneStar

[CT] Ragna Video Thread

Okay so I just got my caping going, finally... and played some ranked etc to get some replays. Thought I'd post them here to get some constructive feedback, on my play that is ofc! But in all seriousness the people I'm fighting aren't that great and neither am I. I've recently switched from Haku-Men aswell.

Tips on proper mixups and combos that I missed out on are what I'm mostly like to hear about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEH32UGukQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzSoZhp7RM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1sX57qDOg (Audio-Video sync error I know)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH2bzG_z1OA

/Sweden over and out.

Don't really want to get too in-depth but I'll just leave some comments:

1st vid- Early bursting cost you this match.

2nd vid- Nice use of 6A. Finish up the air combos though, if you're having trouble connecting the ID then just use GH for now.

3rd vid- Just noticed you don't brake. Better start doing that. If you don't know what braking is it's using barrier to cancel your dashing to immediately defend.

4th vid- Ice Car Jin.:gonk: I also just noticed you don't spend Heat. Use it. B+C > CS is fast and easy damage.

Don't really want to get too in-depth but I'll just leave some comments:

1st vid- Early bursting cost you this match.

2nd vid- Nice use of 6A. Finish up the air combos though, if you're having trouble connecting the ID then just use GH for now.

3rd vid- Just noticed you don't brake. Better start doing that. If you don't know what braking is it's using barrier to cancel your dashing to immediately defend.

4th vid- Ice Car Jin.:gonk: I also just noticed you don't spend Heat. Use it. B+C > CS is fast and easy damage.

Got some serious exectuion issues with SRK's so I'm always going for ID but never get it out. I rather go for ID and just smack myself in the face for missing then resolve to lesser combos due to me not trying hard enough! Indeed with the barrier break, will learn to use it more often and properly. And regarding the heat I don't know any great ways to spend it but I'll guess learning the 214A RC dash 6D combo will fix that along with the combo you posted! Thanks for the input Shinobi.

Got nice Ragna basics, try to work on things Shinobi said. End combos, dash and IAD > barrier to bait things, and heat use (good lord i'd kill to have as much as you xD) and you'll do pretty good :) To burn your heat, got the choice of throw > CS, HF RC combos, CS as free punisher from time to time (like in this 1rst vid where he throws DP without hitting you). Or you can use "defensively" as doing things unsafe as blocked HF or ID then RC. Thing i like too is 2D RC on guard. Peoples are used to punish after, so you can bait many things.

Tips on proper mixups and combos that I missed out on are what I'm mostly like to hear about!

Yeah good 6Aing vs the Hakumen. If you get a counter hit with it, like you were, you can get more damage than just going to an air combo.

CH 6A, 5B, 6A, 214B > slight delay 214D, 5B, 6A, aircombo - 3019 dmg

or this also does more for normal hit 6A:

6A, 5D (DC), 6A, aircombo - 2550 dmg

also, definitely want to be using all that heat as it's been said.

I don't think throw > carnage scissors is a good use of it though. That's only worth it if it's going to kill them cause it's unburstable. You can do the same or more damage with just a normal heat free throw combo. Outside of using heat for HF RC, ID RC is great. Goes to the same combo as CH 6A if it counter hits, which it's likely to if it goes through something.

another thing, when you see something like Jin's DP miss or you block it, it's extremely punishable. A lot of extremely punishable moves take counter hits when they're punished, including his DP. One of Ragna's strongest CH punishers:

CH 5C, 6C, 214B > delay 214D, 5B, 6A, aircombo - 4785 dmg

Yeah good 6Aing vs the Hakumen. If you get a counter hit with it, like you were, you can get more damage than just going to an air combo.

CH 6A, 5B, 6A, 214B > slight delay 214D, 5B, 6A, aircombo - 3019 dmg

or this also does more for normal hit 6A:

6A, 5D (DC), 6A, aircombo - 2550 dmg

another thing, when you see something like Jin's DP miss or you block it, it's extremely punishable. A lot of extremely punishable moves take counter hits when they're punished, including his DP. One of Ragna's strongest CH punishers:

CH 5C, 6C, 214B > delay 214D, 5B, 6A, aircombo - 4785 dmg

I just want to note that unless he's got a really good connection with his opponent, both of those 6A combos will not work online. I don't even bother using them at all online, instead I use 6A-5D-214A (no D follow-up). It's less damage than an air combo follow-up, but it positions you better and pushes them to the corner.

This combo is also iffy online, but my favorite generic combo off of 5B (as long as it isn't max range 5B, or close to max range) is:

5B (or 2B)-2B (optional, probably only do it if you're really close)-3C-22C-5B-5C-214 A-214 D.

It does about 29xx dmg without the 2B (i.e. it does more damage than very generic 5B-5C-2C combos), but more importantly, it positions you better and puts them closer to the corner. I'm aware that 5B-6A-blah blah does more damage, but I don't like the positioning after the air combo (it often resets or they escape). This combo isn't screen position dependent, and should work on everyone. If you're in an ideal position though, Jiyuna's combo is better (5B-3C-22C-5B-236D-236C-236C-22C), although this doesn't work on everyone and is slightly situational.

Personally, the only air combo that I think is worth the damage are blood kain combos or 6C combos...

Hey guys, i dont know if you are ok with it or the mods are ok with it but i was thinking about doing a new video thread with every video posted in here and the videos that will be posted in the other thread in the first post. I think this thread is kind of unorganized because all are videos in different posts and pages and it would be easier if they were all in the same place. ill start as soon as i get a yes from the mods.

You make a good point, but it'd be easier if I just edit it all into the opening post. That way it's all kept in one thread, no discussion is lost, and no posts would appear before the opening post if merged due to time stamps. Compiling efforts to make the task easier would be appreciated, but otherwise I'll just get on it. Edit: Okay, it's been updated with all non-critique based videos posted so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqKUpIDkPak

Ragna (me) vs. a Jin

we're both at lv12 (though I know that doesnt' mean much, we both aren't very good)

I apologize for the slightly bad camera work.

What are bad habits I should look to get rid of?

Good job on landing the air combo. Unfortunately you're missing out on the counter hits from HF. Those are opportunities to do the BnB air combo again or just complete another ground combo. You also left the throw alone, you can do GH after throwing.

Don't know how much of that you already knew, so I hope it helps some.

Ok, found some more Kaqn videos on the tube that were uploaded this week. Looks like more fun from the evil white colored Rags. I don't think I've seen there's here before so correct me if I'm wrong, poster on the tube says they were taken on July 4 from gamechariot. *shrug*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CigMHfFDFzs Kaqn [Ragna] vs Buppa [Jin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FYz0EzTVRs Kaqn [Ragna] vs MSY [Rachel]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9KGA9aQjc Kaqn [Ragna] vs R-1 [Noel]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnyhOy77R4 Kaqn [Ragna] vs Yūmura [Tager]

I noticed he did some really interesting air combos in these that looked like they started with j.5c (in the air) and then something like 5B, 5C, 263C > 236C > 214C but I'm not one hundred percent.

Anyway enjoy!

thanks, i dont understand japanese but i would love to learn it. wow without that guide i woulda got lost filling out the info

For those who interested in the lesser players and maybe somewhat how the swedish players are coming along I've updated my YT with 3 videos. Made alot of progress from the last vids and the competition isn't too shabby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIkZZhaVd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORoA4-hcmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SF78bkpeMU

Still I'd love some inputs on how to get out more dmg and break habits that goes into lesser dmg. Having huge troubles getting of anything after GH but I guess I'm not delaying enouh.

For the love of god stop bursting with 40% of your bar remaining. Also don't hug your edge of the screen against Tager. You're not going to timeout and time works for him, so it accomplishes nothing. Keep pressuring him from close up while staying out of throw range, Ragna's 5B and j.C are wonderful for that. And you certainly shouldn't activate Blood Kain from far away and run up to him. That's wasting both life and meter, and accomplishes nothing, except making your advance very very obvious. About damage, you just need to work on your comboes, nothing more, nothing less. Ragna's are not that complicated, worst you'll come across is dash cancel 6A, which you actually attempt to do in that Nu match. No advice for that, it's just muscle memory. Also drop the barrier against Nu. It dooesn't really help. EDIT : in the second vid, can someone explain me what the fuck happened at 0:43 ? How is that even possible ?

For the love of god stop bursting with 40% of your bar remaining.

Also don't hug your edge of the screen against Tager. You're not going to timeout and time works for him, so it accomplishes nothing. Keep pressuring him from close up while staying out of throw range, Ragna's 5B and j.C are wonderful for that.

And you certainly shouldn't activate Blood Kain from far away and run up to him. That's wasting both life and meter, and accomplishes nothing, except making your advance very very obvious.

About damage, you just need to work on your comboes, nothing more, nothing less. Ragna's are not that complicated, worst you'll come across is dash cancel 6A, which you actually attempt to do in that Nu match. No advice for that, it's just muscle memory.

Also drop the barrier against Nu. It dooesn't really help.

EDIT : in the second vid, can someone explain me what the fuck happened at 0:43 ? How is that even possible ?

It is indeed possible because counter hits decreases recovery time so it is comboable

and cut down on Hell Fangs they may get you the distance in closing gaps, but it is readable

<wall of text>

Bursting at the killer combo when having used barrier is extremely easy to read and will only get you killed anyway, happens so many times and why I burst to try avoid some heavy dmg at around 20-40% instead and give me a chance for offense but yeah, it get's me killed alot aswell.

The reason for me to not advance alot on tager is because I got a friend who backdash and buffers 360/720 alot so eating ALOT of busters and left me with this playstyle. But I'm working on my offense with mixups to try and stay in on pretty much every character.

I mostly do BK for the sheer fun, I love BK! In much more serious matches I'd probably wouldn't do the same, spend it on RC's for mixups and such.

The DC 6A is probably very hard for me to pull off since I got 1-2 frames delay on my HDTV and it beeing online add's upp to delay. But I'll most certainly train on it when getting face-to-face casuals on my CRT/Projector.

Thanks for the input.

Bursting at the killer combo when having used barrier is extremely easy to read and will only get you killed anyway, happens so many times and why I burst to try avoid some heavy dmg at around 20-40% instead and give me a chance for offense but yeah, it get's me killed alot aswell.

You don't actually burst to avoid getting killed.

You DON'T burst to not take 150% damage and to have some barrier.

Bursting in BB is pretty much a shitty choice most of the time. Anyway, at the level you're playing at, bursts shouldn't get baited as much as you're saying.

The reason for me to not advance alot on tager is because I got a friend who backdash and buffers 360/720 alot so eating ALOT of busters and left me with this playstyle.

I get what you're saying, but you need some proactive choices, not just stand back and be afraid of closing in. The moment he gets his sparkball, the matchups is going to look a lot more shitty, so you're better off getting as much ground as you can before that.

I don't know the startup of Tager's backdash, but if he manages to backdash>grab you in the middle of your strings, you should probably try new, safer strings. As a general rule, never do a 5C in a string if you're not sure the distance is good enough to avoid being grabbed. 5A, 2A, 5B and 2B should be your main tools as long as you haven't pushed Tager back a good deal. Dash in J.C (like you did at 0:19, 0:25, 1:18 and 1:29) is an exceptionally shitty idea against Tager, for example. A normal jump would accomplish the same thing and leave you way less open. If you really must, add a falling j.D, which should, accounting for the landing, leave you in a position of slightly unfavorable reset (better than the position horizontal j.C alone will leave you in, at least). Remember that when you IAD in the face of the opponent, you're giving up your second jump, which is in many cases a vital defensive or offensive option. You're basically saying "fuck mindgames, I'm in your face". This is also the case for Hell's Fang, which CAN be backdash-punished by Tager. Competent tagers will make you pay for this sort of things dearly.

This is also the case for Hell's Fang, which CAN be backdash-punished by Tager. Competent tagers will make you pay for this sort of things dearly.

Doesnt even need to be backdashed if he see it coming... He can just standing 360A your HF.

As for the backdash360 on your rushing, the best to catch him is just 5A or 2A mash fest.

Just run, and mash. you'll catch him at the end of his backdash. Only real problem is he'll be airborn so gotta combo thinking about that. After some A spam punish, he should do a bit less reversal backdash, wich would allow you to go back to some 5B poking.

Tried some of it right now, That combo that he did on Tager, That shit is amzing XD 4-5 HFs and the last one I did the Tsuika and my friend was like WTF is that? and I think ANTHEM (Onslaught) should play everytime you do Black Onslaught on your opponent,just like how Bang has his theme song when he does FRKZ.

Damn that's awesome, definitely going to try that stuff.

Possibly the best Ragna combo video I've seen thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZup5KL7U7A&feature=sub

Shows some nasty things that can be done with Blood Kain. And LOL@Gauntlet Hades loop in BK on Tao.

oh man, love the ID->wallbounce to 22C. Sexy stuff..definitely going to try to add that to my game.