Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

[Xrd] Venom Combo Thread - 1.1 Update Pending

GGXrd_Header_Combo_Thread.png

Information
  • If you'd like to contribute, please feel free to do so! Just post the combos you created, but please write them properly. If you are unsure on how to write combos properly, then read the wiki page here. Make sure to read the Notation Used section in this post so that you understand the specific notations used for CHARACTER. Also refrain from using move names and abbreviations.
  • Please refrain from going off topic in this thread. This thread is for posting of combos only.
  • Only the most optimal combos will be listed in this thread.
  • There will be some combo theory among the combos, I will try to provide examples alongside it.

Collapsed: Notations Used:
[table]
>Gatling/cancel the previous move into the following move.
,Link the previous move into the following move.
|>After landing.
jJump
sjSuper Jump
adAir Dash
iadInstant Air Dash
jcJump Cancel
sjcSuper Jump Cancel
jiJump Install
CHCounter Hit
MCMortal Counter
RCRed Roman Cancel
YRCYellow Roman Cancel
PRCPurple Roman Cancel
[ ]Hold Input
(N)Attack must deal N amount of hits.
[???] xNRepeat ??? N amount of times.
BHBall hit. Refers to hitting a ball mid combo. The move may still hit an opponent. [/table]
Collapsed: Guide Specific Notations Used:
  • Notations in red are for prefixes only. Notations in blue are for suffixes only.

[table]

[sS]Side Swap combo
[CO]Crouching Opponent
[AA]Anti-air or Air-to-Air
[N/N%]Damage/Tension Gain %[/table]

General Theory
[collapse]Generally, your priority for Venom's combos should be knockdown, giving you time to setup balls to prepare your okizeme and pressure. His main normals to end combos on the ground are 2D and 6HS. Always cancel these enders into a ball summon, or you can go for meaty charge QV oki. In addition, 6HS enders that are high and close enough can have QV added as a finisher for a bit of extra damage.

For reference, Venom's prorated (weaker) starters are 5P, 2P, 5K, and 2K. Throws also prorate.

Tip: Delaying your IAD until late in c.S(3) or QV S>5P combos can help, as well as doing 866 for the motion[/collapse]

Combo Parts IMPORTANT
[collapse]
1. 866 j.SHSD |> 6HS
2. Ground hit: KQV > 5P > 6P > BH > 6HS
3. Air Hit: KQV > 6P > BH > 6HS
4. SQV > 5P > BH > IAD j.SHSD |> 6HS
5. Air Hit: SQV > 5P > BH > 6HS
[/collapse]

Mid-screen
[collapse]
Theory
Venom's midscreen combos for the most part can be split into two types: standing and crouching confirms. On standing opponents, Venom gets a c.S(3) launcher (as well as crouching Potemkin, Bedman, and Leo) and can followup with a delayed air dash j.SHSD |> 6HS, usually done with 866 (delay a bit longer on Sol, Faust, and Millia). Sometimes 2866 is easier on an individual basis. It even works with a prorated starter (5P, 2P, 5K, or 2K).

Crouching opponents have two routes: 2D. or c.S(2) > QV.  Getting the 2D is important, and you can nearly freely chain into from any of his normals (the exception is 5HS). The important thing is knowning Venom's 2D range well so you always score the knockdown.

QV routes need some testing, but you can combo after the QV. 623HS can be added after sweeps for extra damage and pushback, but unless you NEED the damage to kill with or plan to RC it, the knockdown should be done so you can get balls out and remain close.

Normal Starters
2K > c.S(2) > 2HS(1) > 2D(2)
2K > 2S > 2D(2)
2K > 2D(2)

Those are common examples of ground chains into 2D. As stated in theory, you can go through Venom's ground normals as long as you end in 2D for the knockdown. Beware 2D's shorter range in Xrd though! Sometimes 2K>2D won't work!

2K > c.S(3) > Combo Part 1 or 3.

Works with a prorated starter or from c.S(3) alone. Only works on standing characters (Potemkin, Leo, and Bedman are exceptions and can be hit 3 times crouching). Combo Part 1 is preferred for getting the corner carry. Part 3 is the easier variant.

Against Millia, and Sol you'll have to delay Combo Part 1 a little more than normal.

c.S(2) > Combo Part 2 or 5.

Only works on crouching characters. Should be guaranteed in most situations on all characters? Various common starters include jump normals and S Mad Struggle.

c.S(2) > Combo Part 4.

Works on crouching! I believe it only works on Sol, Millia, Slayer, and Faust (midscreen).

2S > HS Stinger Aim (RC) >  c.S(3) > Combo Part 1
Confirm on standing opponents from a distance. Turn 50 meter into extra damage, corner carry, and knockdown. 2S is the most common poke you will be doing this with, but it may come from a f.S too.

2D > HS Stinger Aim (RC) > Combo Part 1

Go for bigger midscreen damage from a low for 50 meter.. Can possibly do a running jump instead of IAD. Maybe with j.K first?

Ground Gatling > 5HS or 2D(2) > 623HS RC > 66 j.KSHSD |> 6HS

Not sure if these work from low prorated starters. If you need extra damage/corner carry from a crouching opponent, you can do a Double Head Morbid RC. Generally, 3rd hit works best.

HSQV Counterhit > 6P > BH > 6HS
Basic QV counterhit confirm. With KQV, maybe 5P/5K > 6P > BH > 6HS?

5D > [6] > BH > 66 j.KSHSD |> 6HS

Venom's psuedo impossible dust. Timing depends on where the ball hits (usually it's after P set). Sometimes you'll omit the j.K. Recommended to try over raw midscreen dust because of the corner carry, guaranteed knockdown, and safer because the ball is out.

[AA] 6P > c.S(1 or 2), > j.HS
[AA] 6P > c.S(1 or 2) > j.SPS > dj.SHSD

Anti-air 6P combos for when the opponent is on top of you.

[AA] 6P > 6HS

Anti-air when the opponent isn't directly on top of you, probably what you'll be going for most of the time. Only guaranteed on counter or ball hit. On regular hit, not much else you can try...
Throw Starters

Ground Throw > c.S (3) or (slight dash) 2HS(2) > Carcass Raid S > Combo Part 1
Ground Throw > c.S (3) or (slight dash) 2HS(2) > Carcass Raid S > IAD j.SHSD |> jKSHSD |> 6HS.

Venom's midscreen throw combos come in two flavors: corner carry and setup. While setup combos were kind in AC+R netting you 3 balls, one of which is lightning, Venom's corner carry is greatly improved in Xrd and lightning balls don't exist anymore, so corner carry generally takes priority. Start charging while doing the dash asap!

The second combo is more advanced for a little extra damage and some more corner carry. On Bedman, use 2HS (1).

Ground Throw > (slight dash) 2HS(2) > Carcass Raid S > 66 j.KSHSD |> 6HS

Works on the whole cast midscreen actually. Notes:

Timing is tighter on MI, CH, MA, ZA, VE, LE.

VERY hard (but not impossible!) to do on KY, likely not worth it.

Ground Throw > (slight dash) 2HS(2) > 6HS

Easy mode combo.

Ground Throw > (slight dash) 5P > 5P > 6HS

Completely burst safe combo.

Air Throw |> c.S(1/2) > 214HS > 6P > BH > 6HS

This combo will work from about max normal jump height. Consistent knockdown from air throw is great!

Special Starters
Mad Struggle

Treat it as a jump normal essentially and see the combos off of normal starters.

HS Stinger Aim (YRC/RC)

Treat it as a low proration starter (80%). On YRC, if you wait until the last possible moments to start combo, the proration actually disappears. Hard to confirm that mid match though...

623HS RC > 66 j.KSHSD |> 6HS

Had meter to spare and it landed? Confirm into this.

Overdrive Starters
Venom's overdrives don't see use as combo starters unless your opponent did not feel like blocking the Dark Angel you through out, or you threw out a Dark Angel during pressure right when they used a Dead Angle Attack. In that case, just hurry to the corner and let it do its thing....yeah.
[/collapse]

Corner
[collapse]
Normal Starters

2K > c.S(3) > Combo Part 1 or 3 > Combo Part 3, 4, or 5 > QV

Standing only. Corner combos let you get essentially 2 combo parts as opposed to the one you get midscreen. 

2D > HS Stinger Aim (RC) > Combo Part 1 > Combo Part 3, 4, or 5

Go for bigger corner damage from a low for 50 meter.. Can possibly do a running jump instead of IAD. Maybe with j.K first?

2D (1) > S Carcass > Slight Dash c.S(1) > j.KSHSD |> 6HS

Meterless 2D damage, but harder to do. Delay j.HS > j.D on some characters.

Airdash j.SD> 6HS>  Combo Part 4 > QV

Option off of airdash. No need to confirm standing or crouching opponent.

Airdash j.SHS |> c.S(2) > Combo Part 2 or 4 > QV

BnB on Crouchers.

5D > j.SHSD |> c.S(1) > 5HS > Combo Part 2 or 4

Throw Starters

Throw > 5HS > Combo Part 4 , |> 66 j.KSHD, |> 6HS 

Opitmized combo from TittyFOFO.

"Seems universal. Best to take a step backwards before the 5HS against characters with fat hitboxes, or the 5P and ball will hit at the same time and you won't have time to IAD. 5HS can be swapped with 6HS against most characters to net another 5 damage or so."

Throw > 5HS > Combo Part 4 > QV

Doesn't work on Faust.

Throw > 5HS > Combo Part 2 > QV
Universal Combo. Combo Part 2 in this case used on aerial opponent.

Air Throw > c.S > j. HS

Combos are limited from corner air throw sadly. Anyone who could help here...
Special Starters

Mad Struggle S > c.S(2) > Combo Part 4 > QV

Crouching combo. Might be character dependent? If so, perhaps can try other combo parts or going into sweep.

Stinger and Double Head apply the same rules as before, and you should be able to get 2 combo parts.
Overdrive Starters

Still not practical. Get knockdown and set formations off of sporadic unblocked Dark Angels.

[/collapse]

WIP

Third update! Corner combos knocked out. Going to see what else I can add soon enough based on user contributions, but I'll probably work on other stuff for now.

Here's a slopfest of a write up on what combos Venom can do out of K ball oki mixing up between empty jump 2K and low airdash jK jS/jS jHS/cross up back airdash jS if done from a close dash jump. His stand confirms are universal for the entire cast, barring the two big guys. His crouch confirms are a little more finnicky for a lot of the cast. Let me know if there are any mistakes.

Note that this is not a be all end all list of what Venom can do with K ball oki, just a starting point to get an idea of what he's capable of. Also keep in mind that my execution is not exactly top notch, so some combos may be possible that I simply couldn't figure out or execute.

Low option(Universal):

Empty jump 2K clS (3) 8 66 jS jHS jD 6HS xx oki

Basic high option(Slightly more damage on characters not listed in combo 2):

Low airdash jK jS/jS jHS clS (1) xx K QV, 6P BH 6HS xx oki

Basic high option 2 (Millia, May, Chipp, Elphelt, Ramlethal*, Venom, Ky):

Low airdash jK jS/jS jHS clS (1) xx P/S** QV, 5P BH 6HS xx oki

EDIT: Turns out the above combo is actually universal if you use P QV. This should be your go to crouch confirm if you're not sure what to do.

*Weirdly inconsistent on Ram. Sometimes after P QV, 5P will hit the ball but whiff on her hurtbox not letting you chain. It is possible to replace that ending series with S QV 5P BH 6P 6HS xx oki. I can't say for sure why this is more consistent, but my guess would be that either S QV knocks back less, it has some kind of miniscule vacuum effect after the hit, or it has less recovery on hit than P QV. Or maybe my execution is ass, both are equally hard, and it's all in my head. Who knows?

EDIT 2: With some practice, P QV 5P (BH) 6HS works when 5P whiffs and the ball continues the juggle. You just need to link 6HS instead of chain.

EDIT 3: I finally figured out why there were certain instances where it would seem like 5P after PQV wouldn't connect, most notably on small characters after a dash jump over airdash back jS. The clS after landing must be done IMMEDIATELY otherwise the pushback from the jS will make the followup fail. What I mean is that there seems to be a small window after landing where the opponent hasn't suffered full pushback and can therefore be hit by a 'closer' clS.

**Both work on Millia and Elphelt but P is significantly easier.

Advanced high option (Millia):

Low airdash jK jS/jS jHS clS (1) xx S QV, 5P 8 66 jS jHS jD 6HS xx oki

This may work on others, but the only one I could do it on was Millia. Further testing by someone with better execution is required.

Advanced Potemkin and Bedman option:

Empty jump 2K / Low airdash jK jS/jS jHS clS (3) 8 66 jS jHS jD dash jump (669) jK jS jHS jD 6HS xx oki

The only characters clS hits 3 times on crouching. For this combo, the second air chain has a heavy stagger to get the final jD to come out as low to the ground as possible. Input too fast and Potemkin/Bedman will recover before 6HS can connect.

General execution tips:

When doing one of his combos that requires a jump cancel into immediate airdash(8 66), input 8 on the move you want to jump cancel, and react to Venom leaving the ground to do the airdash. This gives you the timing for 8 66 which can only be described as an awkward delay.

If you're on a stick, try to get into the habbit of double tapping after QV. This new move's recovery is kind of deceptive, and Venom's combos almost always require the next button to be input only a few frames afterward. Double tapping ensures minimal room for error.

Naturally of course, the combos above work in other situations as well.

On a slightly non-combo related note, I'm curious about spacing in regards to 2K, c.S off of K ball oki, sometimes I only got one hit of c.S after trying it...hmmm.

There's a systematic error with all the listed combos' enders, jSHSD doesn't work. jH does not gatling back into jS. I think jSHD is the correct one. Cheers! Good commentary @NEC DaiAndOh!

There's a systematic error with all the listed combos' enders, jSHSD doesn't work. jH does not gatling back into jS. I think jSHD is the correct one. Cheers! Good commentary @NEC DaiAndOh!

S = Slash

HS = Hard Slash

D = Dust

This is what was meant. It's why I prefer to write it fully eventhough it takes more time :)

(aka: j.S > j.HS > j.D )

Yes, I'm a bit stuck in some ways and prefer to abbreviate it as HS (heavy slash, hard slash, and in Japan, high slash actually) instead of H. Sorry for the confusion (and thanks for the compliment!)

Question SnowMonkeyFunky (SMF?...yeah anyway) when you say double tap, you mean double tap the QV input? Interesting idea.

The midscreen throw bnb is actually going to kill my wrist before I can do it, anyone have any luck there?

Oh, no. I mean double tapping the input after the QV. Like with P QV 5P, my input bar will look like 41236P, P~P. Which midscreen throw combo, the throw dash up 2HS xx CR, IAD stuff? For that one, what I do is throw, 66 [3](keeps you running, extra charge time for CR) 2HS xx CR, 96 jS jHS jD land 6HS.

Honestly, for now I'm just doing dash up 2HS xx CR, dash 6HS as an easy mode combo until I get that other one burned into muscle memory.

Oh, no. I mean double tapping the input after the QV. Like with P QV 5P, my input bar will look like 41236P, P~P. Which midscreen throw combo, the throw dash up 2HS xx CR, IAD stuff? For that one, what I do is throw, 66 [3](keeps you running, extra charge time for CR) 2HS xx CR, 96 jS jHS jD land 6HS.

Honestly, for now I'm just doing dash up 2HS xx CR, dash 6HS as an easy mode combo until I get that other one burned into muscle memory.

I usually get 5Px2 when I tried to double tap like that, but I generally don't have trouble with that link...it's like the one thing I don't -_-.

Yeah I was able to get the Carcass part down for the most part thanks to my AC Venom experience, but the IAD after feels harder than his other ones...hell I tried doing it in +R and it was way easier...

Do you link the 2HS xx CR part or cancel the 2HS to CR?

Do you link the 2HS xx CR part or cancel the 2HS to CR?

You cancel the second hit of 2HS into carcass raid. It's really tight. I input it 66[3HS]69S and look for the sweet spot at the end of the hitstun in second hit of 2HS.

So the JP Wiki has a mostly complete combo section. As of now, my plan is to mostly transcribe it into our notation and copy it in. Thoughts?

http://seesaawiki.jp/w/ggxx_matome/d/Xrd%a1%a1%a5%f4%a5%a7%a5%ce%a5%e0%a1%a1%a5%b3%a5%f3%a5%dc%a5%ec%a5%b7%a5%d4

Ah its much more updated than I last remember it being. Definitely do it.

Ah its much more updated than I last remember it being. Definitely do it.

Yeah I figured they would get to work with the console version. Console versions are more prominent in Japan than back in the day :P.

So messing around with some of the stuff from the seeaawiki, I noticed I had already done some of the same things listed but I might as well document them here as well:

Tested on slayer unless otherwise said.

Corner standing from any starter (p/k/s) only

c.S(3) > KQV > 6P > 6HS > SQV > 5P > 6HS > QV/Set = 113DMG from 5K || 138DMG from c.S

Things to note about this, you can walk between KQV and 6P to put you closer to tag on an extra QV at the very end, does 1 damage and puts them into a techable state; lets you get a quick 2 ball setup, 3 with yrc. Pretty good positioning otherwise to go for K ball oki & there should be enough time to do 2 ball setups without the extra QV. 

c.S(3) > IAD JSHSD > 6HS > SQV > 5P > IAD JSHSD > 6HS > QV/Set = 128DMG from 5k || 150ish from c.S

This combo is hard as anything due to the second rep of JSHSD, you have to hit the j.D incredibly low to the ground to link 6HS. Most reliable way i've found of doing this is by just delaying the HS and D as much as possible. 

Works on both standing and crouching:

Air Dash > j.S > j.D > 6HS > SQV > 5P > IAD JSHSD > 6HS > QV/Set  = 204DMG

Both j.D's need to hit awfully low to the ground for this to work; not too difficult though. Viable option from K ball oki in the corner too.

2D(1) > S Carcass Raid > Micro Dash > c.S(1) > J.KSHSD > 6HS > Set  = 170ish, can't remember the actual value.

Character specific corner combo from a close range 2D. The hardest part of the combo is actually getting the c.S(1) after the microdash, though that said, it isn't all that difficult it works on these characters:

Sol, Ky, Zato, Chipp, Potemkin & May.

If you're dropping the 6HS after the j.D you're not delaying the HS and D enough to hit low to ground.

Furthermore SnowMonkeyFunky's advanced combo on Pot & Bedman applies to all heavier characters, particularly effective on Ky midscreen to corner carry for about 180DMG from a c.S(3) starter if you end it with KQV>6P>6HS>QV/set.  

Things to note in the corner:

KQV is your go to staple for both standing & crouching on most characters, c.S(2) and c.S(3) can be utilized to go into KQV > 6P > 6HS > K/SQV. Times where the aforementioned KQV doesn't work is in situations where smaller characters backs are in the corner, you're hitting them with c.S point blank and they also happen to be crouching(Millia, May and Faust come to mind). I'll need to test it but theoretically you should be able to do c.S(1) > 5HS KQV to give you the pushback you need on the ball for 6p to keep them propped up.

The universal follow up QV combo for K and S should be 5P > 6HS > QV/Set. For extended QV combos use SQV 5P > IAD JSHSD > 6H after your initial KQV starter.

You cancel the second hit of 2HS into carcass raid. It's really tight. I input it 66[3HS]69S and look for the sweet spot at the end of the hitstun in second hit of 2HS.

It's actually not tight at all.  You can run for a pretty long time after throw which gives you more than enough time to charge when coupled with 2H hitstop.

Every time I do the standard J.S,H,D into 6H combo the 6H comes out as a techable hit. Maybe I'm doing it the air chain to late?

EDIT: Yep, it was totally that.

Every time I do the standard J.S,H,D into 6H combo the 6H comes out as a techable hit. Maybe I'm doing it the air chain to late?

EDIT: Yep, it was totally that.

Should be the opposite.  The later you do the air chain the easier 6H is to link.

Also:

Corner:

Starter > c.S KQV walk forward 6P (BH) 6H PQV 5P (BH) 6H _QV = 150 off c.S on Sol.  Works on both stand and crouch, just do c.S(3) on stand and c.S(2) on crouch.  May have to add in a 5K after KQV if 6P isn't hitting properly.  Makes it easier in general but it reduces damage slightly.  Basically the challenge mode combo with the 4 QVs but easier.

Throw > dash 6H KQV 5K 6P (BH) 6H PQV > OTG 6H (BH) = 96 on Sol.

Should be the opposite.  The later you do the air chain the easier 6H is to link.

I mean, I tried doing a regular IAD after C.S which got me the techable 6H but when I switched to jump cancel 66 the oponnent was closer to the ground so I did the air chain closer to it. That's what I meant, sorta.

I mean, I tried doing a regular IAD after C.S which got me the techable 6H but when I switched to jump cancel 66 the oponnent was closer to the ground so I did the air chain closer to it. That's what I meant, sorta.

When you say "techable" do you mean techable as in the 6H was techable in the air before it hit (i.e. invalid combo), or something like 6H whiffing entirely unless you delay it?  Doing the air chain late means you are closer to the ground after hitting j.D, which means less recovery on the move, which in turn should make 6H easier to link, not harder.  If 6H is whiffing altogether that's most likely an issue with proration increasing pushback, not necessarily combo timing.

Standard midscreen throw combo doesn't work on Bedman. Works if you skip the post-throw dash and just do one hit of 2HS.

Corner

Throw, 5HS xx SQV, "5P, ball hit, IAD j.SHD, land, dash jump j.KSHD, land 6HS x ball summon" = 98 damage.

Seems universal. Best to take a step backwards before the 5HS against characters with fat hitboxes, or the 5P and ball will hit at the same time and you won't have time to IAD. 5HS can be swapped with 6HS against most characters to net another 5 damage or so.

j ball oki, low air dash j.s, j.D, land, 6HS xx SQV, "....." = 213 damage

Doesn't work on Faust and Valentine IIRC. Skip the dash-jump portion for them.

5D, dash jump, j.SHD, land, 5Sc (1 hit) xx S Carcass, 5HS xx SQV, 5P, ball hit, IAD j.SHD, land, 6HS xx ball summon = 139 damage

Against some characters with smaller hitboxes, 5P will be too far to reach. Just skip the carcass raid for them and you should be golden.

All that said, you should pretty much always be looking to go to SQV in combos IMO. Damage, knockdown, and style points. Even good for corner carry!

Interesting about the Bedman stuff on the throw combo, could have sworn I saw the whole thing work on him, but must have missed that detail.

When you say Valentine, do you mean Ramlethal or Elphelt?

Worth noting that throw 6H also works with airthrow 6H so long as it'll connect at that height.  In fact corner airthrow 6H leads to a ton on damage, something like 130~ although I forgot to write down the exact number.  Specifically:

Airthrow > 6H KQV 6P 6H SQV 5P PQV 5P 6H _QV

You also get more damage off airthrow > 6H 214H 6P 6H midscreen than you do with c.S.  Better to save c.S for when they're too high to hit with 6H.