Magaki

[Xrd] Elphelt - Combo Thread "Shotgun Wedding !" (WIP)

Who are you doing the combo on? And what exactly are you doing?

Who are you doing the combo on? And what exactly are you doing?

Right now I'm practicing on Sol and doing CH 2H 236P cS jS djKS-delay-H 4P(grenade throw) (and then the rest is what, jS djKSHD or something, I haven't even got to this part so I can't recall). 

Grenade keeps flying over Sol. I just wish I knew if I wasn't delaying the jH quite enough or if there's some other issue.

Also who does that combo not work on? I thought jS djKSH was universal except on Venom?

CH 2H is a weird launch to do this combo from. It's still possible, though. Just hit c.S as high as you can.

EDIT: I made a video to show the timing, but you're gonna have to wait for my terrible internet to upload it. :v

EDIT: Here it is.

Thanks a lot! So it's easier from a bridal RC into 2H? So many little specifics with this character. 

By the way at that many hits there's no way to prevent the tech is there?

EDIT: Still failing, but I think I realize why. After the first jS I seem to press 8 to connect djK. I think when I press 9 instead and hug the opponent as much as possible it works now and then assuming I delay jH enough. 

By the way I really like the grab reset by doing djK airgrab. The grenade explodes on you mid-grab (so it doesn't do anything) and thus I think that contributes to cool points?

It works for forward tech too but you have to delay the grab, thus it has to be a read, as opposed to neutral or back techs where just entering 6/4H right away works. 

EDIT: Scratch that, ALWAYS delay the air grab a small amount and it will hit every type of tech. Fucking sweetness. Unfortunately if you RC the grab in time to follow up the grenade will blast you, and if you do the combo without a nade the opponent would probably guess you're gonna grab... so, it's not a reset that can be RC'd effectively.

Okay I gave up for now - I get it maybe 10% of the time and I don't know why I fail still. 
I just settled for what I think is a much easier combo that works on Sol. I can execute this one 90% of the time, and only with 5 minutes of practice:

CH2H 236P cS jS djSPSH 4P land jS djSPSHD.  (159 damage)

However this allows them to tech, so a version where they are smacked to the ground is:

CH2H 236P cS jS djSPSH 4P land jS djSH.  (154 damage, the minimal knockdown time is totally worth the 5 damage)

When doing this from a bridal RC, I think they will tech no matter what, so the higher damaging version works better. From cS fS 2D bridal RC it does 192.

If anyone is like me and is finding the other pinberry combos stupid hard, try the one I just listed because as I said for me it's night and day.
Now to see who this fails on so I can figure out what to do versus those characters.

EDIT:

Ran the tests on the cast. The result: it's universal(!), though altering it for Pot makes it a hell of a lot easier.

I'll refer to the longer combo as combo 1 and the shorter as combo 2 if I need to specify things. The jH before 4P does not need to be delayed (though it can be) except a bit on May, Chipp, and Ino. I do think that the RC'd version will need to be delayed a bit on many more characters though, so it's wise to just always try to delay it a little.

So here's the characters it works on:

Sol, Sin, Faust, Milia (techs jH ending of combo 2), Ky (techs jH ending of combo 2), May, Chipp, Elphelt, Slayer, Ino, Axl, Ramlethal, Venom, Bedman (but see notes below). 

Here's who needs minor modifications:

Potemkin (I think the original combo works on Pot but you gotta pop that champagne perfectly, so it's A LOT easier to simply do CH2H 236P cS fS and then the rest of combo 2. However, with the additional fS, combo 1 will not work. Not gonna try optimizing right now to land a jD, may do it later). 

Bedman has the normal combo work (and both combo 1 and 2 ground him), but it's easier to get the jSjPjS to connect if you also do cS fS. It's not as hard as Pot to time without the fS, but I'm personally going to use the fS version. 

It seems characters that tech the last jH of combo 2 (Milia and Ky) can still be grounded with slight modification to allow jD at the end (figured this out by flubbing the combo, haha). But I don't have the time to revise the combo and test it at the moment to find out what version allows them to remain grounded - may do this later.

I also did not test the combo from RC on everyone, just CH2H, but I would assume if it works from that it should work from the RC just fine.

So yeah - this combo is pretty damn close to universal - the alterations are really minor. And I personally find it quite easy. So if anybody is having a hard time with the other pinberry combos, I'd recommend giving this one a shot!

And for those who just don't wanna try the pinberry route, just do cS fS 2D 632146H dash jSPS djSPSHD (or whatever other variant of the air combo you know). Works on a decent portion of the cast and does around 180ish. Not as much corner carry but your tension is also not quite as limited.

You need permission

Want in? Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission.

Rikir pls

So what's this character's actual BnBs? Like midscreen and then corner?  Preferably as close to universal as possible?  I just do bridal, cancel, 2HS, c.S, j.k, j.s, j.k, j.s, dust lol.

Same in the corner. 

I am not a smart man, please help D:

C'mon, Chibi, there's like two pages to this thread. Just read it over. Don't be a 9.

C'mon, Chibi, there's like two pages to this thread. Just read it over. Don't be a 9.

A Touhou reference, on Dustloop, out of nowhere?  Then again, we're on the Elphelt page. 

Most damaging dust combo I could come up with, mid-screen, few steps from starting position:

d>j.d>j.d>j.s>j.d>236p>j.k>j.s>dj.k>dj.s>dj.hs>dj.d>j.4p 131 dmg

Tested on sol, may, millia and pot, I think that covers most bases, slight delays must be made between attacks in the double jump part of the combo against non-heavies, otherwise the grenade eplosion will whiff.

I did read it.  It's all combo theory.  I don't want that with a character that's barely a month old.  I want universal stuff so I can work on what actually matters, neutral, offense, and defense.  Combo theory won't get me anywhere if I can't play her well otherwise lol.

You don't get much without meter versus most of the cast. Just do anything into 2D or 214K followed up with 236P oki or anything into 5H(5hits) into neutral. You can aircombo off 2D versus some of the cast. For more specifics, check out the Universal BnB section of the first post.

When you have meter, just do anything into 2D, 214K, or 5H(5hits) into red roman cancel into stuff. For more specifics, check out some examples in the first post.

After doing the UB loop after the 2nd loop i start to get punished back to where the air combo drops. I tried micro dash 2HS but then i pull them out of the corner. What exactly am i doing wrong?

Also the UB was kinda weird on  Bedman,Zato,Sin and i think a couple others. Some i had to delay and for ram i just do a smaller combo rather than super jump j.S>j.P>j.S>j.D>236p>j.S>j.HS which i pretty much do on everyone else.

Lastly i cant get the perfect reload with the rifle at all :v: da heck mayne

Anyone else having massive issues hit confirming?  I'll basically become a free win because I can't hit confirm my standing and crouching BnBs well.  I've been practicing that too.  (Never actually had this issue before....)

Anyone else having massive issues hit confirming?  I'll basically become a free win because I can't hit confirm my standing and crouching BnBs well.  I've been practicing that too.  (Never actually had this issue before....)

Eh I'm sure if you just put in some more practice it'll become intuitive for you. I can usually tell whether my opponent is crouching or standing by the time I do c.S > f.S in my combos.

Eh I'm sure if you just put in some more practice it'll become intuitive for you. I can usually tell whether my opponent is crouching or standing by the time I do c.S > f.S in my combos.

Unless it's Bedman.  He has a wonderfully ambiguous animation.

Midscreen 6H CH combo that works without a corner:
6H CH>236P>dash cS almost as low as possible>jS delay>jP delay>jS> djK delay>jS> j4P(toss) > land sj9 > jH > jD  [156 dmg]

I got a couple of notes regarding to combos on Faust, who's been a big problem with converting combos to damage. They have been for the most part have been consistent for me. If you guys find anything new with this, feel free to add. I have not found anything for f.S > 5H (x5) > RC route midscreen yet.

Midscreen

[st] [50%] c.S > f.S > 2D > 214K > RC > Micro Dash > 2H (2nd Hit Only) > c.S > j.S > dj.K > dj.S > dj.H > dj.D > 236P (180 dmg on Faust)

Standard combo for Faust, my note with this is that you need a micro dash, barely noticeable so that you can get the c.S after the 2H. I've gotten some luck getting two hits on 2H, but you never want the first hit only, so I aim for this. You can omit f.S in the combo and not worry about the micro dash for 169 dmg. Here's a pineberrry variation:

[st] [50%] c.S > f.S > 2D > 214K > RC > Micro Dash > 2H (2nd Hit Only) > 236P > c.S > j.S > dj.K > dj.S > delay dj.H > j.4P toss > land j9 > j.S (explode) > dj.K > dj.S > dj.H > dj.D > 236P (192 dmg on Faust)

Both routes can also be done in the corner without the micro dash as well.

I did read it.  It's all combo theory.  I don't want that with a character that's barely a month old.  I want universal stuff so I can work on what actually matters, neutral, offense, and defense.  Combo theory won't get me anywhere if I can't play her well otherwise lol.

I agree with this. This happened to me when I wanted to learn Kokonoe, there were only combos being posted everyday with 5 different variations of the same started, I didn't bother anymore.

That's not "combo theory". Most of the posts made concerns character specifics and if you don't learn them, you can pretty much forget about doing any air combos in GG because GG is also famous for the high amount of character specifics.
If you really don't want to bother learning them, the only thing you will be able to do are the combos in the Universal BnB section or the cS>jS>djK AA route which won't really allow you to either reach Elphelt's high damage conversions with RC or even do unblockable loops.

Might be because of the hitstop in Xrd. Start your pressure with 5K>cS if possible. If you need more hits (Netplay for instance), use 2P as a pressure starter.

After doing the UB loop after the 2nd loop i start to get punished back to where the air combo drops. I tried micro dash 2HS but then i pull them out of the corner. What exactly am i doing wrong?

It happens if your dash was too short. You want to be as close to the corner as possible when starting the air combo.
For 2H, you pull them out of the corner if you hit them too high. Delay it a bit.

Okay this one's a goodie, near the corner:

D8>j.D>.jD>.jS>j.D>j.236P>falling j.S>j.HS>delayed j.D |>j.K>j.S>j.D>j.4P |>j.HS>j.D 144 dmg AND knockdown, with cooked grenade. Most importantly though that's six j.Ds wich looks super cute.

Only tested on Sol so far.

EDIT: Also tested on Ky, Pot, May, Millia, Axl, Venom, Bedman and Ramlethal. The slightest of delays must be made for the last portion (j.HS>j.D) against light characters (May, Millia, Ramlethal[?]), otherwise they tech, you can do a running start to time it better. A j.S can be added before the last j.HS against heavy characters (Pot, Bedman) to stabilize the combo, but still doable without it.

May be possible to replace the last portion and go into unblockable with it?

Also you can buffer j.236P during the "flying" animation of D8, wich links into j.P and j.S (D8>j.236P>j.S>j.D>j.S>dj.Etc), not sure how good this is since D6 combos have crazy corner carry even with your back to the corner, and this route would have less j.Ds wich means less damage, but I think it's worth looking into.