Magaki

[Xrd] Elphelt - Combo Thread "Shotgun Wedding !" (WIP)

Everything is explained in the wiki and it should be where everyone beginning to learn her should start.

As for the rapid fire, her aiming the shotgun is AFTER she enters the power-up. What allow you to figure out whether you're in power-up or not is the orange aura.
Though, with walk shotgun loops, you have to do it so fast that you can't or barely can see the aura.

Start with this beginner-friendly combo to learn the shotgun loops:
Corner SG-D>delay>Powered SG-S>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>SG-S>{SG-H>46H}x3

Does around ~40% damage alone

Yeah, I read the wiki and that's where I was getting confused when watching combos from match vids. I eventually figured it out when I was in training mode today.

I've been stuck on the following combo:

SG-D>236P>SG-S>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>2P(toss)>Berry explode>SG-S>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>SG-S>236P>{SG-H>46H}x4>2P(toss) 

I understand that I need to remain idle until I get the aura after 236P before doing SG-S. I actually get up to the point where I do 2P toss but not getting the right timing on an immediate berry explosion so that SG-S combos after wards. Not sure where my timing is off, at the moment.

It took me a while before I completely got the shotgun loops and the theory behind it. Noone has talked about it openly, but doing a charged SG-S lowers the time until you get a charged attack afterwards, which is why you want to catch opponents in the corner jumping with a charged SG-S to get a charged SG-H followup.

other than the above combo you can also practice Throw > RC >Charged SG-Hx3 > SG-S > SG-H x n in the corner to become more aquainted with the timeing for it.

CH 6Hxx236H > Charged SG-S > Shotgun loop is damn damaging in the corner as well and equally easy.

ALSO!!!

try this instead:

SG-D>236P>SG-S>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>SG-S >2P(toss)>Berry explode>SG-S>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>SG-S>{SG-H>46H}x4

notice the added bold SG-S. This is the actual combo i use in matches and it's pretty consistent.

What usually goes wrong with the combo:

* after 236p you can do SG-S too late so it whiffs

* after 236p you can do SG-S too early so it isn't a charged SG-S which means you won't get the charged SG-H afterwards. This can be reacted to and be converted into {SG-H>46H}x2 or 3 and then dispose of the grenade

* The added SG-S should eliminate all questionables about throwing the grenade.. just mash 2p to throw it as early as possible.

* After the berry explode is the most delicate timeing. If you wait too much with the SG-S the opponent can tech out of it. If you wait too little you won't get the charged SG-H afterwards and you need to go directly into {SG-H>46H}x4 instead

Adding a SG-S before the berry throw is much more stable yeah. To be more specific, do SG-S>delay 2P and it will work on the whole cast.

Here's a new shotgun loop that I found allowing to get even more damage than what we currently have.

If you're still beginning with Elphelt, don't bother reading this post and simply leave it for later as the new loop can be quite hard to do and requires understanding how the current shotgun loops work. The "Currently known loops" section can pretty much be considered to be a shotgun loop guide however so you might want to read it.

Currently known loops:
Skip this part if you already know them all. Otherwise, if you forgot, never heard of some of them or simply want to see their respective applications, feel free to read it.

[collapse]
Any damage listed here is done on Sol at full health and SG-D corner combos will be used to compare them because every shotgun loop can be done off it. Obviously, every shotgun loops are corner only.

Standard shotgun loop:

[Powered SG-H>46H]xN>SG-S[sG-H>46H]xN

Example: SG-D>Powered SG-S>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S[sG-H>46H]x3 (188 dmg)

The standard shotgun loop is the most consistent and most versatile loop but also the least damaging. It can be done off SG-D, Dust, Bridal RC, Berry, 2H/6H/air bridal CH, SG-H and jD RC combos. It's also the easiest loop and the only one you can use at the end of long combos.

Walk shotgun loop:

[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]xN>SG-S[sG-H>46H]xN

Example: SG-D>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]x4>SG-S[sG-H>46H]x3 (225 dmg)

A loop that was found a few days after the game was released called this way due to the fact that you will walk forward a bit every time you loop Powered SG-H in order to get as much of them as possible by negating the pushback slightly. This variation allows to not use SG-S and get 2 more powered shot for ridiculous damage. While SG-D starter deals 44% health with standard shotgun loop, it does 53% with the walk shotgun loop.
This loop can generally be done whenever you land a charged SG-H as long as the combo isn't too long which makes it applicable in most situations where you can go into standard shotgun loop except berry combos(...>2H>236P>cS>etc). Because of that, it's generally the main loop you will want to use.

Berry shotgun loop:
236P>Powered SG-S>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S>2P>Explosion>Powered SG-S>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S>[sG-H>46H]x3

Example:SG-D>236P>Powered SG-S>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S>2P>Explosion>Powered SG-S>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S>[sG-H>46H]x3 (219 dmg)

The berry loop was found much later and requires using the berry and the explosion mid-combo. Like you can see however, despite being much longer than the walk shotgun loop, it deals slighly less damage. The main reason is because aside from the 3 SG-S used in the combo, it also uses the berry and the toss itself does 0 damage which affects the risc gauge too. Amongst the loops however, it can only be applied off anything with a wall splat. Namely, 5D, SG-D and SG-H CH and can't be done if the berry is already out.

The main reason why it's used however is because it's much easier than the walk shotgun loop and deal slightly less damage so it's great for beginners or simply if you want to be sure you won't drop your combo if you're in a tournament. It's much better to stick with walk shotgun loop however because you can apply it in much more situations and getting used to berry shotgun loop means you will use the standard loop if you can't grab a berry.

[/collapse]

New loop:
This section explains the new loop I found, how to pull it off and compare it to the other known loops.
[collapse]
Same stuff as before. Damaged based on Sol with full health and SG-D combos used to compare.

SG-S link loop:

[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]xN>delay>Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]xN>SG-S[sG-H>46H]xN

Example: SG-D>Powered SG-S[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>delay>Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]x3>SG-S[sG-H>46H]x3 (237 dmg)
(You can omit the first Powered SG-S and go straight into walk shotgun loop with 2 shots but it's much harder and only deal 1 more point of damage.)
The SG-S link loop is a variant of the walk shotgun loop that consists of linking a Powered SG-S after a Powered SG-H and go straight into walk shotgun loop. It's currently the most damaging loop and is applicable for any situation where landing a Powered SG-H in the corner is possible which means it can be used in every situation where a standard shotgun loop is possible but the combo has to be short. I'll explain more below.

Tips to pull it off:
You have to input the SG-S as soon as you get the power-up and obviously after a Powered SG-H. Walk after the SG-S link is completely optional and shouldn't really affect the amount of SG-H you can squeeze that much. The loop is also universal so you can use whoever you want as a training dummy.

Applications:
The SG-S link is already tight with no hitstun decay and becomes impossible after a certain amount of time. In the SG-D combo used as example, the SG-S link can only be done after the second Powered SG-H. Doing it after a third one will make it whiff.
It can be used as it is with moves that go straight into shotgun loop like:
-5D, SG-D and SG-H
-2H(1), 6H, Air bridal CH

It can also be used in several combos like 2D>214K RC (generally done to beat fuzzy jumps which is an option a lot of people will use to avoid most of her mixups). An example would be:
Standard shotgun loop:
2D>214K RC>dash 236H>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S>[sG-H>46H]x3 (221 dmg)
SG-S link loop:
2D>214K RC>dash 236H>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>delay>Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]x3>SG-S>[sG-H>46H]x3 (268 dmg)

Damage comparison:
SG-D>standard loop (188 dmg) (44% total health)
SG-D>Walk loop (225 dmg) (53% total health)
SG-D>berry loop (219 dmg) (52% total health)
SG-D>SG-S link loop (237 dmg) (56% total health)

[/collapse]

Here's a new shotgun loop that I found allowing to get even more damage than what we currently have.

If you're still beginning with Elphelt, don't bother reading this post and simply leave it for later as the new loop can be quite hard to do and requires understanding how the current shotgun loops work. The "Currently known loops" section can pretty much be considered to be a shotgun loop guide however so you might want to read it.

New loop:

This section explains the new loop I found, how to pull it off and compare it to the other known loops.

[collapse]

Same stuff as before. Damaged based on Sol with full health and SG-D combos used to compare.

SG-S link loop:

[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]xN>delay>Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]xN>SG-S[sG-H>46H]xN

Example: SG-D>Powered SG-S[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>delay>Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]x3>SG-S[sG-H>46H]x3 (237 dmg)

(You can omit the first Powered SG-S and go straight into walk shotgun loop with 2 shots but it's much harder and only deal 1 more point of damage.)

The SG-S link loop is a variant of the walk shotgun loop that consists of linking a Powered SG-S after a Powered SG-H and go straight into walk shotgun loop. It's currently the most damaging loop and is applicable for any situation where landing a Powered SG-H in the corner is possible which means it can be used in every situation where a standard shotgun loop is possible but the combo has to be short. I'll explain more below.

Tips to pull it off:

You have to input the SG-S as soon as you get the power-up and obviously after a Powered SG-H. Walk after the SG-S link is completely optional and shouldn't really affect the amount of SG-H you can squeeze that much. The loop is also universal so you can use whoever you want as a training dummy.

Applications:

The SG-S link is already tight with no hitstun decay and becomes impossible after a certain amount of time. In the SG-D combo used as example, the SG-S link can only be done after the second Powered SG-H. Doing it after a third one will make it whiff.

It can be used as it is with moves that go straight into shotgun loop like:

-5D, SG-D and SG-H

-2H(1), 6H, Air bridal CH

It can also be used in several combos like 2D>214K RC (generally done to beat fuzzy jumps which is an option a lot of people will use to avoid most of her mixups). An example would be:

Standard shotgun loop:

2D>214K RC>dash 236H>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>SG-S>[sG-H>46H]x3 (221 dmg)

SG-S link loop:

2D>214K RC>dash 236H>[Powered SG-H>46H]x2>delay>Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]x3>SG-S>[sG-H>46H]x3 (268 dmg)

Damage comparison:

SG-D>standard loop (188 dmg) (44% total health)

SG-D>Walk loop (225 dmg) (53% total health)

SG-D>berry loop (219 dmg) (52% total health)

SG-D>SG-S link loop (237 dmg) (56% total health)

[/collapse]

With video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thh4AlUvcyM

I'm a bit confused with the notation you used Magaki.

Powered SG-S>[Walk>Powered SG-H>46H]x3

doesn't Walk mean that you'd lose your charge? I guess the walk only applies after the first Charged SG-H in the loop as i kinda know how the walking shotgun loop works,

or can you actually walk after a charged SG-S as well?

After the charged SG-H, you reload, then walk forward just a tiny bit before stopping, charging and firing a new SG-H.

After the charged SG-H, you reload, then walk forward just a tiny bit before stopping, charging and firing a new SG-H.

Yeah after watching the vids and trying it out myself in practice this morning i go tthe gist of it, and as a matter of fact you don't need to walk SG-H at all, I landed all combos in the videos without it, and it's really nice, we don't even need to use meter to do extended SG loops anymore. With the correct spacing getting the Charged SG-S isn't really that hard to do. Just a question: is it possible to maybe add a grenadepull into it like:

[Powered SG-H>46H]x2> Powered SG-Sxx236P > [Powered SG-H>46H]x2 > SG-S > 2p(toss) > Charged SG-S > [Powered SG-H>46H]x2 > SG-S>[sG-H>46H]xN ?

Need to experiment when i get home :D

[CR] [50%] fS>2H>236H>SG-H>RC>dash 5D6>236H>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>Powered SG-H>fS>jD>(j236P) [193 dmg]

This combo can't possibly work. After uncharged SG-H, 5D won't wallstick, and 236H doesn't provide enough hitstun for a charged SG-H.

Am I stupid or is this notation simply wrong?

In this combo, SG-H hits on the ground far enough that it leaves the opponent on the ground, so with a RC, you can go into 5D from it and get the wallstick.

Note that you need to be quite far when the fS hits, that's probably why you couldn't make it work.

Quick question: is it possible to combo off of a manual grenade explosion? I know it can be done for grenades set off by shotgun, but what about hits with 5H or j.D?

Sorry for not replying earlier. I did test it in training mode but forgot to reply here. Meterless, you won't really get anything out of it due to 5H's recovery and jD's hitbox.

For 5H, the recovery on it is just too big to be able to combo after a manual explosion meterless. With a RC, you can go straight into an aircombo and if they are close to the ground, you can go the dash 2H>236P>cS route.

For jD, you can get an air combo afterwards if you RC the manual explosion. For 25%, you can do something like 4P/j4P toss YRC>falling jD>manual explosion I guess and go straight for an air combo.

It's too situationnal in my opinion to really rely on it though and it's better to just not trigger the grenade and let it around for space control.

[CR] [50%] fS>2H>236H>SG-H>RC>dash 5D6>236H>{Powered SG-H>46H}x2>Powered SG-H>fS>jD>(j236P) [193 dmg]

This combo can't possibly work. After uncharged SG-H, 5D won't wallstick, and 236H doesn't provide enough hitstun for a charged SG-H.

Am I stupid or is this notation simply wrong?

Like Maho pointed out, yeah, it has to be done quite far. The reason why it's an interesting combo is because when you generally play footsies and hit with fS, you got 3 possible follow-ups afterwards.

-5H

-2H

fS>214K doesn't work at max range and generally result in you being -1 or something like that. If it gets IB'ed, you will be punished with a throw or a jab. fS CH>214K always work though.

fS>5H only works on standing opponents CH or not. Sometimes, the opponent will actually be out of range during two 5H mash if you really hit quite far. Unlike with 214K, you can't be punished for it generally at this range but it's back to neutral.

fS>2H only combo on crouching and CH. If the opponent was hit standing, then fS (hit)>2H (block) becomes a 1f gap providing great rewards if the opponent was mashing something and get hit by 2H CH.

That's why fS>2H is your safest gatling while playing footsies because you either get a combo or keep pressuring as long as fS hits. 

This combo is very old however and was IIRC from a combo video made day 2. Situations where 2H>2D will whiff are very rare. I'll probably put it in the misc section when I'll have enough time to update and finish the combo thread.

Anyway, combo you should use would probably be:

[CR] [50%] fS>2H>2D>214K RC>etc

Where etc can be:

Corner/Close to it

-Unblockable setup (dash (2P)>5P>cS>etc)

-Shotgun loop (dash 236H>Powered SG-H>etc)

Midscreen:

-Berry relaunch into shotgun ender (Doesn't work on Zato. Unstable on Faust, Venom and Ky)

-Dash cS>jS>djK>jS>delay jH>delay jD>(j236P) (Universal.)

Repeat ? You mean shotgun loop ?
Considering you didn't specify which loop, I guess you mean the reload part.

It's purely timing yeah but the window is quite big. If you do the reload as soon as you do SG-H, it will always work. Only tip I can give you is really to just do it as fast as possible.

What are all the starters that lead into shotgun loops?

I'd like to refer to my intermediate course at http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9866-xrd-elphelt-qafaq-thread-pop-that-champagne/page-3

Alioune has a vid where he goes through a lot of shotgun loop conversions

but short answer:

CH 6H near corner

CH 2H(1) xx Shotgun near corner

Shotgun-D (commandgrab)

Throw > RC near corner

combo > Bridal express > RC > Shotgun > Charged Shotgun S near corner

Air throw > RC > Shotgun in the corner

Charged Shotgun S in the corner (grounded or airborne opponent)

Corner Dust(6) > 236P > 5SxxShotgun (just as the opponent starts to slide down the wall) > Loop

Unrelated but I saw an Elphelt do a (probably already known) dust combo in the corner

5D8> jD>jD>jS>jD>j236P>jS>jHS>delayed jD>rejump>jS>jD>delay 4P toss> 6H into either 214K> 236236D for little additional damage (178 on Sol) or 236H>236P>(2P toss meaty or whatever) for mixups (143 on Sol)

This combo does less damage and his less rewarding than the other dust combos since you don't get really great setups from it, but it has the advantage of completely ignoring any berry previously tossed that might affect your combo route in a bad way (like when a berry explodes right after your dust connects), as well as Counter hit state, which forces you to modify your routes. If you have trouble adapting your dust combos to the situation or need an easy kill, you should consider using it !

EDIT : forget what I said and just do this xD. The other combo mentioned in the post is also in the thread

Turns out you can totally go into unblockable from the last combo I posted, tested and working on Sol, Pot and May

D8>j.D>.jD>.jS>j.D>j.236P>falling j.S>j.HS>delayed j.D |>j.K>j.S>j.D>j.4P |>rj.D>j.236P>j.S>j.HS>Unblockable

Also you can do c.S>(f.S>)>5Hx5 after the last j.D of the previous combo for a bit of extra damage, also knocks down (like 6 more damage or something, not really worth when you can into unblockable or cook a grenade).

Lmao this character man, she's gonna get beaten so hard in the next patch :toot:

EDIT: Also works on Leo.

Unrelated but I saw an Elphelt do a (probably already known) dust combo in the corner

5D8> jD>jD>jS>jD>j236P>jS>jHS>delayed jD>rejump>jS>jD>delay 4P toss> 6H into either 214K> 236236D for little additional damage (178 on Sol) or 236H>236P>(2P toss meaty or whatever) for mixups (143 on Sol)

This combo does less damage and his less rewarding than the other dust combos since you don't get really great setups from it, but it has the advantage of completely ignoring any berry previously tossed that might affect your combo route in a bad way (like when a berry explodes right after your dust connects), as well as Counter hit state, which forces you to modify your routes. If you have trouble adapting your dust combos to the situation or need an easy kill, you should consider using it !

it sounds really fancy though! will eagerly try it out tonight :D