Magaki

[Xrd] Elphelt - Q&A/FAQ Thread "Pop That Champagne !"

As far as learning the character how would I apply things like mechanics to the character? I look up combos and what not but my main issue is finding situations to use them in.

As far as learning the character how would I apply things like mechanics to the character? I look up combos and what not but my main issue is finding situations to use them in.

Much comes from experience IMO, after a while you get a sense of things like how much hitstun etc a move has and react to things accordingly. However this is a pretty vague question and an answer would require a more specific question. This is also why i decided to make the guide! there are thousands of combos posted in the forums, but i compiled it into a format that filters out the stuff that is not often seen in actual matches.

Also: updated intermediate course with a corner dust combo

Appreciate that. I've also been trying to get used to the various mechanics of this game. It feels very strict in comparison to Blazblue or P4A.

Elphelt Advanced Course V1.0 (subjected to change)

Wow, now you should be a pretty decent Elphelt player, with a lot of mixups, damage-potential, and you should know your options for every given situation.

The advanced course will bring optimization to Elphelt, like how do you output that last 10% of damage, how to tie together all of the tools we've learned so far,  and also we will look into Elphelts most deadliest weapon, the infamous Unblockable Corner Loop!

Shotgun Damage

Ok, so throw everything you've learnt about shotgun out the window so far! ... just kidding! just yesterday (when this post is written), Magaki came up with a way to output a bit more damage with the shotgun, at a price of a bit harder and tighter execution.

Link to page where new Loop is discussed:

Video footage of the new shotgun loop in action by ArtificialStar:

What this means is basically that you will never again have to spend meter with shotgun-loops started in the corner to get a couple of more reps in for extra damage.

The basic Idea is that after a Charged SG-H at a specific range, you will, instead of throwing a grenade or going into uncharged SG-S > SG-H loops, you will do something like the following:

• SG-D > Charged SG-S > [ Charged SG-HS > Reload ] x2 > Charged SG-S > [ Charged SG-HS > Reload ] x2 > SG-S > [ SG-HS > Reload ]x4-6

The Unblockable Loop

Not much can be said about it that hasn't been said already, so i'll just link you to places!

General information:

Alioune videos of other UB setups:

What's next? Afterwords!

There you have it! While these three courses hasn't covered 100% of Elphelts versatility and options, they go through a solid base which touches all aspects of elphelts gameplay plan, using material from all over the dustloop page and from notorious players summarized in three forum posts.

My advice for you after coming this far is to experiment yourself, create your own version of elphelt and really deepen your knowledge and appliance of the ground mechanics of GG, like Instant Blocks, Air-throws, Burst-baits (you can actually airthrow a burst in it's startup!), Blitz Shielding, Be prepared to PRC or YRC whiffed moves, stuff like that! And really really.. play the game against good opponents. A good Elphelt base means nothing if you don't know your matchups, e.g "How do i tackle ky's pressure?", "What's happening, I can NEVER press buttons against Sol! Ahhh!".

I will keep the 3 posts updated with time, if new tricks are found, or revisions based on patches. For isntance it looks like Elph's grenade was nerfed in the coming patch, and Blitz Shield might get new appliances. If you spot an error somewhere, please do tell me!

Over and out, cya!

Sometimes when I'm doing a YRC unblockable, I get an unexplained RRC or PRC. My timing appears to be the same. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong that is causing me to not get a YRC after throwing the grenade. It seems totally random. I'm sure it isn't, but I cannot figure out the cause. Anyone have help to solve this issue?

This is the combo I am doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcxnC5BBhgk

I'm doing it on Sol as well.

Are you sure that the grenade doesn't hit the opponent before you YRC it? that's the only logical explanation, a YRC only comes out of you RC it before it actually hits the opponent. PRC would come out if you RC the grenade later.

So: RRC > the grenade probably hit your opponent before you RC:d it

PRC: You were a tad bit slow on your RC input, do it a bit quicker

you're doing the RC way too late (ok, not way too late, but too late nonetheless!) If you compare your video with aliounes he is doing a YRC when the grenade is close to it maximum height, whereas you get a PRC when the grenade is halfway down. One thing to note about grenade YRC is that you can pretty much YRC it as soon as  you've tossed it. experiment with the timing and see how soon you can do it.

When I do it early is when I get the RRC. Is there a tight timing to get the YRC? I feel like that isn't the case and I'm doing something wrong. When I can get the YRC it feels easy.

I appreciate the help a lot, I've spent many hours on this and I've gotten pretty frustrated.

If you get an RRC, then you're probably timing it too early, since your opponent is still on the ground and therefore not yet in a neutral state. If you get a PRC, then you're just taking too long between the toss and the RC.

The timing is almost immediately after the toss, just try to get it down raw first. Once you're done with that, you'll have to time the pineberry toss late enough to be able to YRC, but early enough to still get the pineberry to hit meaty.

She's a really strong character but she still has weaknesses,she has very little defensive options and has no meterless reversal and even when you do have meter her only reversal is one of the worst (if not THE worst) reversal in the game,she also has a lot of character specific combos and a lot of her tools are very matchup dependent. She thrives when she's on the offensive but once you get her locked down there's not much she can do.

With that said it's obvious her pros out weigh her cons but that doesn't make her broken,like I already mentioned it just makes her a really strong character and in the hands of an experienced player she can be an absolute monster. 

its easily safe jumped punishable on hit and leaves her in counterhit, safer option is to Dead Angle and make that damage back in neutral

Some projectile based oki setups can also make it unsafe on hit. Your dead angle is really good, frequently unpunishable even on a successful bait, just use that instead.

I know Elph is supposed to be a pressure based char with some zoning elements, but how do I play her in a way where I don't have to take too many risks aka play a strong neutral? are there any good examples of top Elph who play her like that?

What are some ways to deal with shotgun pressure? I use zato snd i'm having a bit of trouble getting away from this woman.

What are some ways to deal with shotgun pressure? I use zato snd i'm having a bit of trouble getting away from this woman.

break the law YRC

burst

dead angle

fuzzy high jump --> airdash YRC

instant block grab on sh.S

instant block 5P on sh.S

what do you do against Sol's 6P? I fought this sol who used 6P to counter practically all my options... it was very demoralizing. 

what do you do against Sol's 6P? I fought this sol who used 6P to counter practically all my options... it was very demoralizing. 

all YOUR options are actually not all the options

whiff punish

STOP jumping in

juke him with FD break

walk away and make him do something with your grenade, rifle, and meter gain

STOP AIRDASHING AT HIM AT NEUTRAL

Hi, I'm new to Guilty Gear and I'm really keen and interested in picking up Elphelt as my character. However I have heard some people complain about her and refuse to play Elphelt players. Is this true? I would really like to play her, but I don't want to get any hate for doing so. I asked one player how does Elphelt work and the response I got was "Throw grenade> Win" :(