Magaki

[Xrd] Elphelt - Q&A/FAQ Thread "Pop That Champagne !"

First let me just state the obvious,you shouldn't care about what other people think,if Elphelt is the character you're interested in then go for it. 

Now regarding the hate and complaints,she's easily among the top 3 best characters in the game and like with any fighting game being among the best characters will net you a little (or a lot) of hate. Before the 1.1 patch she used to be considered TOO good but now it seems like the general conscious is that she's still amazing but not the best anymore. Also I play online quite a bit and I've never encountered people who avoid playing me or any other Elphelt player so you shouldn't worry about that, and if there are people that DO avoid fighting you then they're probably just salty/scrubs like the guy that told you she's "Throw grenade>Win" so you shouldn't let players like that get to you.

With all that said I feel like the complaints/hate have gone down since the 1.1 patch dropped. Also like I already mentioned play whoever you want,if you pick a character based on others opinions of said character then that will just diminish your enjoyment of the game and at the end of the day the most important thing is that your're having fun, if you're not having fun then that will just hurt your growth as a player. 

I hope this helped calm your worries and I hope you enjoy the game and Elphelt if you decide to play her :yaaay:

Ehhh, if the guy who replied truly consider that the grenade is an auto-win option, I don't think you should really bother giving any thoughts to whatever he says.

But yeah, Elphelt is versatile and she can turn any mistake into huge rewards. She's also potent both on beginner and high level plays so obviously, a lot of people hate her.

But hey, that's the FGC anyway. People saying shit and hating (No need for a reason sometimes) is the most common activity so no matter who you will play, you will always end up against a guy hating your character whether you like it or not.

To be honest, I met a ton of people both offline and online who cursed her every round but no one ever refused to play though.

Anyway, if you still plan to main her, you did a great choice. jak d ripr asked at some point whether she was worth learning so reading the following posts might clear some worries you might have.

Powered SG-H is +5 without reloading but here's the tricky part, you can reload faster with Powered SG-H than with normal SG-H.
To be more specific, Reload is always the same recovery but the window to cancel Powered SG-H happens faster than with normal SG-H. Or at least, that's what it mentionned in the frame data that Kedako provided concerning Elphelt. I need to dig into my computer to find it again so I'll be able to give the right answer after calculating it. That or if I don't find it, will need to run some tests to figure it out.

I'm not surprised the frame data is wrong though. Kedako's frame data excluded, there were 3 other frame datas that had some discrepancies in it. Old time lurkers on the El board probably remember the first one that indicated that 2H was jump cancelable.
If you take a peek at the wiki page though you will notice it's the right frame data (Yeah I know. Kinda ironic that the frame data page itself got misinformations regarding its purpose while the wiki page get it right).
Might be someone who edited it and added incorrect data. Dunno.

I'll look for Kedako's again and take care of it by myself to make sure it's done right this time.

Thanks for notifying me and offering your help though. I appreciate it.

I have some questions

• Outside Close 5S and Air to Air what are some good Anti-Airs?
  • Rifle doesnt seem particularly useful unless you can use Level 2 Unblockable, but if you use it from far away you can only poke and not really combo. What's the best use besides unblockable combos?
  • Outside in the corner, are they uses for Shotgun Stance in neutral / mid screen? Especially with her non-H Shotgun moves?
  • For Grenades, the only half decent simple combo I can think of is a simple air combo ending with Aerial Bridal Express. What are some other simple combos to do when you hit someone with Grenade? 
  • In general is it better to throw Grenade right away when you take it or, or is it better to wait at least a second before throwing. Or does it just depend?
  • What are some other Neutral game tools to use besides Close 5S starter, Far 5S poke, 2D, occsional 5H poke, jS jump in, Grenade, occasional 6P?

Thanks!

• What are some other Neutral game tools to use besides Close 5S starter, Far 5S poke, 2D, occsional 5H poke, jS jump in, Grenade, occasional 6P?

2S is a really good poke. Hits at almost the same range as f.5S and can be used to low profile. Downside would be its limited cancel options and it's kind of difficult to combo crouching opponents at max range.

I have some questions

• Outside Close 5S and Air to Air what are some good Anti-Airs?
  • Rifle doesnt seem particularly useful unless you can use Level 2 Unblockable, but if you use it from far away you can only poke and not really combo. What's the best use besides unblockable combos?
  • Outside in the corner, are they uses for Shotgun Stance in neutral / mid screen? Especially with her non-H Shotgun moves?
  • For Grenades, the only half decent simple combo I can think of is a simple air combo ending with Aerial Bridal Express. What are some other simple combos to do when you hit someone with Grenade? 
  • In general is it better to throw Grenade right away when you take it or, or is it better to wait at least a second before throwing. Or does it just depend?

Thanks!

I'll quickly answer in order

- c.S and air-to-air are your only way to knock off the opponent from the air normally. 4P Grenade toss and of course Shotgun S serve that prupose as well

- Rifle is a bit hard to use and mostly Match-up specific : you won't take it out against fast characters like Chipp or Millia, or against characters with projectiles that stays on screen even if they are hit, like Venom or Ky. It's still useful to call out some obvious moves from fullscreen, like Potemkin's flickering your grenades, Zato's invoking Eddie, Faust throwing items etc. don't forget that you still deal reasonable damage with it on counter since you can combo into another shot (67 damage total on Sol). And if you can learn to perfect reload it (pressing 6+S exactly at the same time when you do 46S to reload will drastically reduce its recovery, and allow you to harass your opponent) as well as switching to shotgun stance after reloading when they try to escape the rifle, it can become fairly annoying for quite a few characters to deal with. To sum it up, It's not essential,especially if you're beginning with the character but it will prove to be useful once you have a better grasp of the character !

-Midscreen shotgun is essentially used to extend your pressure strings a bit and make them more varied. It's mostly good for anti-airing, and passing through some pokes and projectiles with the roll on neutral. It's mostly situational if you're not pressuring with it though, so like Rifle stance, don't bother with that kind of use for now.

- Grenades confirms really completely change depending on when the grenade hits and where it hits on the screen. Midscreen, you want to do an air combo after it, like j.S>jump cancel >j.K>j.S>j.H>delayed j.D. regardless of th air chain you use, try to end it  with a j.D near the ground (it's better than aerial Bridal Express for knocking someone down). In the corner, you want to try to get your shotgun out and do shotgun loops if you know them. If not you can settle for an air combo, but try to learn the loops ASAP. There is more info about that in the combo section, be sure to take a look at it !

- Using Grenades just depends. Elphelt is super versatile, so you can try a lot of things, or even ad-lib your grenade use mid-match. Just don't let it explode in your hands xD

- The poke question was answered already^^

That pretty much sums it up, you can roam around the threads to find more detailed info about all this though !

Another option for anti- air would be 6H.It covers a large area in front of Elphelt and leads to devastating combos on counter hit. Trouble is  it's considerably slow with 15 frames of startup and has 33 recovery frames(basically whiff and you die) It's also pretty unsafe on block,but you can cancel into Grenade pull or Shotgun stance to make that less of an issue.

What are some important must know OS's with El? 

I already know about her throw OS but I want to know if there are any others I should be implementing into my game.

Edited by Daidouji

While I'm probably still going to main Haehyun I'd like to use Elphelt on the side, I attempted using her multiple times in SIGN.

I just have some general questions when using her:

* In general when you get a knockdown you should always get a grenade out right?
* On knockdown whens it better to throw the grenade immediatley vs pressuring/comboing first?
* In neutral if you hit an opponent with an S/HS normal but they block it is it general to end strings with shotgun stance or are there generally better ways to end strings?
* As far as using Shotgun Stance, is it better to use/take out as a Knockdown/Oki option or can it be used well in neutral (or canceling from a S/HS normal on block) if you can make opponent scared  enough to block then you can mix up Shotgun P, K and D to open them up.
* What situations/matchups would it be better to poke or start strings with 2P or 2K vs a longer range S normal or something?
* How often is Bridal Divekick good as a way to get in? (whether on block since it's + or with YRC since you can throw after)

So I'm attempting to pick up Elph as a sub, and I was wondering if there is a comprehensive UB guide out there somewhere? I looked through the combo thread but didn't see anything and I've viewed videos on YouTube, but it's a bit hard to tell exactly what is going on, ie, which attacks are delayed against which character, etc. Any help would be appreciated.