Magaki

[Xrd] Elphelt - Critique thread "Waifubros Training Center"

GGXrd_Header_Critique_Thread.png

Planning to step up your game to a new level but don't really know where to start with ? Feel free to post your performances here in order to receive the help you seek for.

Not much i think ? In general i would prefer to use berry pin after jD to add in more pressure instead of going for a 2HS, unless i want to squeeze a super in. And don't hestitate to go for a bridal express instead of pin when you're grounded, the knock down from it is long enough for you to backdash , pin and throw. But hey, i still can't do those reload spam

I'm not sure why you're backdashing and airdashing away so much for. Often you'll get a knockdown and just back off, airdashing away and throwing a grenade. Leo has a DP, yeah, but that's no reason to let him off the hook every time you get a knockdown. Sometimes you'll get a crouch combo into 2H 2D and then just grenade pull backdash, rather than 214K for damage/carry + grenade oki.

You seem to use 2D as a poke or punish. It's not fast enough to use it the way you do: 2D after blocking Leo's rekka, 2D after blocked Bridal, 2D just to poke out in general. Use 2P if it'll reach, or 2K, or grab.

You're not using Elphelt's 6P at all it seems, or jump cancel IAD, so your mixup is kind of predictable. It's always f.S 2H Dust, every time. Most of your damage isn't from opening him up, it's random pokes at neutral, grabs and grenade explosions. There's little to be afraid of.

I would take the time to learn Elphelt's corner combos as well. Off of Dust or command grab, near corner and corner variants. She can get a lot more damage (and KD) than what you're doing.

Thanks for that.

- I've been slowly trying to rid myself of the f.S-2H-5D string and the habit I have of trying to set up long range traps with grenade - bacdash - run up 5HS to detonate them, especially after getting so used to that tactic versus 

- IAD pressure is something I'm still trying to work into my play. I'm still not sure when I should go for it (corner v. midscreen) or how I should do it (is it just jc - jS - jP - jS for triple overheads?) though.

Ok my Elphelt could use some feedback ! This is a FT10 I did offline. I switch to Sin at the 29 minutes mark so no need to watch after this !

https://youtu.be/9B8wcKVvn64

Things I know I need to improve :

-A lot of drops and missed setups here (thanks online > offline transition) that hurt me many times

- some subpar hitconfirms, particularly the shotgun ones ( never used the RC Powered extensions a single time, and god knows how useful they are)

- Mixing my standing and crouching confirms quite a few times.

-Overusing rifle stance. I find the stance fun and this was casual play, but I know I should use it a lot more sparingly than I do

-Predictable pressure patterns, I'm still overusing the 2H>2D, I've been working on getting rid of that habit, but it is still bad

- Shotgun pressure could use some variety. I was mostly baiting to avoid getting reversaled, but I should still have added more variety to it

I know there is a lot more, so for the rest, give me as much advice as you see, be it from a character or player point of view !

Ok my Elphelt could use some feedback ! This is a FT10 I did offline. I switch to Sin at the 29 minutes mark so no need to watch after this !

https://youtu.be/9B8wcKVvn64

Things I know I need to improve :

-A lot of drops and missed setups here (thanks online > offline transition) that hurt me many times

- some subpar hitconfirms, particularly the shotgun ones ( never used the RC Powered extensions a single time, and god knows how useful they are)

- Mixing my standing and crouching confirms quite a few times.

-Overusing rifle stance. I find the stance fun and this was casual play, but I know I should use it a lot more sparingly than I do

-Predictable pressure patterns, I'm still overusing the 2H>2D, I've been working on getting rid of that habit, but it is still bad

- Shotgun pressure could use some variety. I was mostly baiting to avoid getting reversaled, but I should still have added more variety to it

I know there is a lot more, so for the rest, give me as much advice as you see, be it from a character or player point of view !

- Examine how many times you use the RPG Super, and how many times it pays off for you. Imagine how much these resources would help you come back, or win easier.

- You don't punish Leo's Weapon X super properly. 

- Not shaking the Leo Unblockable

- 4:55, you get a clean confirm getting Leo into the corner and you go for a High Low... Okay? Okay, sure. But then, you mess it up and pay -hard-.

Safer option is just pull and toss that grenade. 

- Combos aren't clean at all, making some rounds harder than they need to be. 

- Still using RPG super and not winning rounds with it, reconsider using this super in the cases that you do. 

- 6:20: Clean call out on the counter, good counter hit combo, strong left right mixup with the grenade ticking... and you drop the hard knockdown.

- 6:30: For some reason, you feel the need to press the issue against Leo when you have the entire screen and more life than him and throw out an RPG, fail to kill him, which leads to a scramble, costing you your burst.

- Count how many 5Ds you block throughout your set. :*)

- 7:30: flat bridal on block without 50% meter, getting you chunked and losing your burst, bursting leo into the corner right next to you, in which you proceed to fall back into his pressure and lose. 

- 8:21: Sucky confirm, you had an hour to put the shotgun away and do a huge air combo, use Launch again into shot for a hard knockdown, but you go for a shot straight up, letting him tech and turn the situation around extremely heavily when he should be dead or burstless at that point. 

- 8:55: The match was over at this point if you even thought about using a freestyle punish on his bad burst. Luckily you close it out. 

- 9:40: oh good god wtf you had the kill combo, you could've shot him with the shotgun two more times, or a bajillion times into JBH, but you go for unblockable?? Close the match out!! You nearly get killed! 

- 10:55: labbing up a single danger time confirm will help you in these situations

- 11:50: Too many drops...

- 11:57: Use of Rifle with no meter against a Leo with Berserker Slash YRC...??? You die for this, and also throw your burst away, causing you to just fall over and die the next round and lose the set. 

- 13:32: I'm not certain if you were trying to use 4H to grab, but you have absolutely zero business trying to 5H Leo when it's his turn.

- 13:38: Not sure about this entire exchange, but you throw out 5H at random and pay hard for it.

- 13:50: This was really bad. If you did the unblockable properly, you would've been in a way more deadly position to look him or tack on more damage. 

- 14:13: Thought you were bouncing him into a pineberry? It looks like you panicked, and he took the chance at a wake up super... and scrambled the round out. 

- 14:30: If you're really expecting a Leo to run up and counter you, just walk up to him and close Slash/Throw OS until he stops.

- 15:15: Counter hit 5k > 5s and.. you pull out the shotgun, and don't take the free hard knockdown 2h > bridal into the corner??

If you worked on all of your confirms, execution, and pressure, you would win MUCH MORE, and RELIABLY. I recommend training mode. 

- Examine how many times you use the RPG Super, and how many times it pays off for you. Imagine how much these resources would help you come back, or win easier.

- You don't punish Leo's Weapon X super properly. 

- Not shaking the Leo Unblockable

- 4:55, you get a clean confirm getting Leo into the corner and you go for a High Low... Okay? Okay, sure. But then, you mess it up and pay -hard-.

Safer option is just pull and toss that grenade. 

- Combos aren't clean at all, making some rounds harder than they need to be. 

- Still using RPG super and not winning rounds with it, reconsider using this super in the cases that you do. 

- 6:20: Clean call out on the counter, good counter hit combo, strong left right mixup with the grenade ticking... and you drop the hard knockdown.

- 6:30: For some reason, you feel the need to press the issue against Leo when you have the entire screen and more life than him and throw out an RPG, fail to kill him, which leads to a scramble, costing you your burst.

- Count how many 5Ds you block throughout your set. :*)

- 7:30: flat bridal on block without 50% meter, getting you chunked and losing your burst, bursting leo into the corner right next to you, in which you proceed to fall back into his pressure and lose. 

- 8:21: Sucky confirm, you had an hour to put the shotgun away and do a huge air combo, use Launch again into shot for a hard knockdown, but you go for a shot straight up, letting him tech and turn the situation around extremely heavily when he should be dead or burstless at that point. 

- 8:55: The match was over at this point if you even thought about using a freestyle punish on his bad burst. Luckily you close it out. 

- 9:40: oh good god wtf you had the kill combo, you could've shot him with the shotgun two more times, or a bajillion times into JBH, but you go for unblockable?? Close the match out!! You nearly get killed! 

- 10:55: labbing up a single danger time confirm will help you in these situations

- 11:50: Too many drops...

- 11:57: Use of Rifle with no meter against a Leo with Berserker Slash YRC...??? You die for this, and also throw your burst away, causing you to just fall over and die the next round and lose the set. 

- 13:32: I'm not certain if you were trying to use 4H to grab, but you have absolutely zero business trying to 5H Leo when it's his turn.

- 13:38: Not sure about this entire exchange, but you throw out 5H at random and pay hard for it.

- 13:50: This was really bad. If you did the unblockable properly, you would've been in a way more deadly position to look him or tack on more damage. 

- 14:13: Thought you were bouncing him into a pineberry? It looks like you panicked, and he took the chance at a wake up super... and scrambled the round out. 

- 14:30: If you're really expecting a Leo to run up and counter you, just walk up to him and close Slash/Throw OS until he stops.

- 15:15: Counter hit 5k > 5s and.. you pull out the shotgun, and don't take the free hard knockdown 2h > bridal into the corner??

If you worked on all of your confirms, execution, and pressure, you would win MUCH MORE, and RELIABLY. I recommend training mode. 

Well sorry for the late reply but thanks for the comprehensive input ! I'll lab it out until I get better at hitconfirming properly ! I'll also calm down on RPG super, it became quite noticeable once you mentioned it !

I was able to play some casuals with someone at /r/GuiltyGear. I'm really new to the game and still not so good at fights in general.

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3:

Match 4:

Things I personally think I can improve on:

• I consistently fell for Ky's overhead special
  • I wasn't landing my combos consistently
  • I wasn't making good use of grenades
  • I almost never used Rifle/Shotgun
  • Sometimes I used unsafe moves like Bridal Express on block and got punished hard
  • I think my air approaches got really predictable
  • I was struggling to find ways to open you when you were blocking low
  • I never used tension outside blocking
  • I never used Burst

I actually have a few specific El questions on how to do/get better:

• Outside Close 5S and Air to Air what are some good Anti-Airs?
  • Rifle doesnt seem particularly useful unless you can use Level 2 Unblockable, but if you use it from far away you can only poke and not really combo. What's the best use besides unblockable combos?
  • Outside in the corner, are they uses for Shotgun Stance in neutral / mid screen? Especially with her non-H Shotgun moves?
  • For Grenades, the only half decent simple combo I can think of is a simple air combo ending with Aerial Bridal Express. What are some other simple combos to do when you hit someone with Grenade? 
  • In general is it better to throw Grenade right away when you take it or, or is it better to wait at least a second before throwing. Or does it just depend?
  • What are some other Neutral game tools to use besides Close 5S starter, Far 5S poke, 2D, occsional 5H poke, jS jump in, Grenade, occasional 6P?

Anything else you guys can add on to or advise?

Thanks!

Edited by NowItsAngeTime