Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAI-X

Street Fighter V announced

You'll have to excuse the link to EventScrubs.

Looks like a lazy retread of SFIV with the exact same sumi-e ink attack effects. At least they've toned down the ugly muscle shading and body proportions. I was hoping for a more dramatic stylistic overhaul i.e. SFIII, but modern Capcom has made no bones about their intentions to stick to what they think sells. Ultras are most likely back. I am not optimistic that this will be worth getting invested in for anyone who wasn't in love with SFIV (read: anyone with taste who didn't get swept up in all the ESPORTS sponsorship hype nonsense). I also strongly suspect that this will have an F2P component to go alongside Capcom's other PS4 freemium game, Deep Down.

So far the game has been announced for PS4 & PC, but not arcades or Xbox One. It appears that Sony has moneyhatted Capcom to keep the game off Xbone (this was foreshadowed with that vague "SF on PS4" teaser way back), though I'd bet anyone $50 that it's a timed exclusive. I suppose this also signifies Capcom's final abandonment of the arcade market - they haven't had an official arcade division for many years now, but three iterations of SFIV found their way into cabinets regardless.

Edit: The trailer suggests that Marvel-like air combos will be present in some capacity, though it could have just been a canned animation.

I will add that this is a really good summation of SFIV's numerous flaws and missteps.

I'm not the biggest SF fan out there, and I acknowledge that SFIV has flaws. But the game can be genuinely fun when played with friends. I do prefer Third Strike gameplay-wise, but I think SFIV's flaws can be overlooked when you have so many good times with it (not to mention the metagame and how technical people get with it).

I wish the next SF would be a bit faster, maybe have a Third Strike feel, but that's just my personal preference.

While I agree that SF4 isn't within a hundred miles of being well designed, I still find it to be fun to play. It would be about a hundred times better if it were well made of course, but unfortunately, fighting game devs that actually know what they're doing are extremely rare these days.

I'm looking forward to SF5, but honestly, I'm not actually expecting it to be well designed.

While I agree that SF4 isn't within a hundred miles of being well designed, I still find it to be fun to play. It would be about a hundred times better if it were well made of course, but unfortunately, fighting game devs that actually know what they're doing are extremely rare these days.

I'm looking forward to SF5, but honestly, I'm not actually expecting it to be well designed.

SF5 = still no Alex (but I don't know that yet)

Game looks awesome. I'm super excited for it and I am so happy that it doesn't limit Itself to the old consoles like Xrd. 

I will add that this is a really good summation of SFIV's numerous flaws and missteps.

Good? It's full of biased opinion. Also lol at thinking SFIII aka parry fest is better than SF4. 

I'll just wait for Super Street Fighter V EX Turbo

Good luck waiting 2 years for that. I'll take my new chars, stages and balance patch for 150 bucks unlike full priced Guilty Gear Xrd Continuum Shift.  

Good? It's full of biased opinion. Also lol at thinking SFIII aka parry fest is better than SF4. 

SF4 is better than SF3? lolno. The only SF games worse than SF4 are SF1 and Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

Good luck waiting 2 years for that. I'll take my new chars, stages and balance patch for 150 bucks unlike full priced Guilty Gear Xrd Continuum Shift.  

Where the hell do you live that it's $150?!

But the game can be genuinely fun when played with friends.

Any game can be fun with friends, no matter how awful. That's an inadmissible defense that says nothing about its quality.

but I think SFIV's flaws can be overlooked when you have so many good times with it (not to mention the metagame and how technical people get with it).

They can't, because SFIV's link-based metagame is completely idiotic (as explained at length in the prior review), and so is the concept of "metagaming" in general.

http://culture.vg/features/art-theory/against-the-metagame.html

http://culture.vg/features/art-theory/on-meta-and-mini-gaming.html

It's full of biased opinion.

Every opinion and thought that a human being has ever had is biased to some degree, doofus. What actually matters is whether it's backed up by evidence.

I will admit that SFIV is a decently entertaining game with satisfying-feeling actions and animations that's good for blowing off some steam, and is occasionally capable of providing genuinely hype-worthy moments at high levels of play, but these alone do not make a game worthy of praise.

I'm not sure why I even got in this thread, since I don't even play SF, but those links are some of the most hilarious reads I've ever had. All-caps, "Aspie" and "Autism" buzzwords, white text on black background that makes you wish you could tear your eyes out, it's all there. If people like that criticize SF4, I can't help but want to try it out just to spite them.

Any game can be fun with friends, no matter how awful. That's an inadmissible defense that says nothing about its quality.

I don't know SF as much as you guys, but I do think a game's entertainment value says something about its quality.

Games that are genuinely bad are the boring, bland and badly designed. SFIV wouldn't have the following it does if people were just pretending to have fun with it.  I think the game is still worthy of some praise, if people are having fun and the game allows high level of play. I don't see any reason to hate it. But I'm no competitive player or anything, I'm not knowledgeable enough to really defend the game. I'm just going with the childish "well it's fun so I like it"

Not excited at all by the first proper play footage. On one hand, what they're showing is barely removed from SFIV; on the other, it bears an unfortunate resemblance to Killer Instinct (Xbox One), with a side dish of Marvel 3 mechanics.

Did anyone really think that the stages in SFIV needed to be made even wider?

So PS4 will be the only console release of Street Fighter V?

No mention of an arcade release? This really is the end then.

Current theory is that Sony is fronting the money for SF5's development.

One of Capcom's biggest franchises is getting a sequel and they don't even have to drop their own money. How much bank are the father & son duo at the top of Capcom's corporate structure gonna have once they retire?

Current theory is that Sony is fronting the money for SF5's development.

AFAIK, this is not a theory. Sony's Adam Boyes did in fact say that they are helping with development.

There's also an enduring rumor that Resident Evil 7 is being propped up by Microsoft and will be an Xbox One exclusive, at least at first. This already happened with Dead Rising 3.

Since they don't have the finances to carry their own major development projects by themselves anymore, Capcom has really been whoring themselves out lately. There's no way they're going to stick around for more than another couple of years without being bought out by someone.

No mention of an arcade release? This really is the end then.

Seeing a numbered, main-series Street Fighter bypass the arcade market truly heralds the end of an era. Outside of Golden Age stuff like Pac-Man, it's THE most culturally iconic game series to be associated with the arcades (Mortal Kombat was quick to abandon them, and was always more defined by its console ports). I still have fond memories of playing various iterations of SFII and Alpha in arcades, as well as SFIV Vanilla when a place imported 4 cabinets from Japan at launch. I could tell even then that the game wasn't up to par, but we didn't care yet because it was flashy and new and our hype levels were going nuts. None of the places around here ever had SFIII during its heyday, sadly...

I'll wait. If Capcom does another SFIV > SSFIV thing, I will send this game to hell forever.

Game looks as dull and monkey-ish as IV.

Game looks as dull and monkey-ish as IV.

Yeah, now that I look at it again, Chun still has gigantic man-hands. >_<

Also, Capcom has clarified that this game will remain exclusive to PS4 and PC, but that doesn't mean Super SFV won't be on Xbone.