Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HPHatecraft

Instant Air 2K whiff mindgames tech?

Trying to find a way to make this viable. If this doesn't deserve it's own thread, then tell me and I will delete it and put it where need be. This is just something I have been messing with. You could just go for throw or low/overhead mixup afterward. Seems like it would be better off item oki or in the corner. Let me know what you guys think. DISCLAIMER: I am a hitbox user, your experiences with instant air 2K may vary with pad or stick.

http://youtu.be/ndcHFK9EAb8

In theory its a good tactic, since air 2K often stuffs normals and people trying to fight out of okizemi. Though a thing about Faust is that he's not really scary by himself and without item cover. I'd surmise if you didn't train the enemy to keep blocking strings without trying to fight back, then they'd easily just mash throw or reversals or whatever else that can counter a whiff > throw.

So I'd rate this tech in around the same effectivity as (ground) 2K > delay > mettagiri. It only works if the enemy has been trained to keep blocking or is waiting to block something like meteors.

Kudos for thinking in the same vein as great Fausts that came before you, though this is how his mix-up has always worked outside of the wild card 6H. FD Drill cancel j. K for the overhead, or empty drill cancel/whiff j. 2K into low/mettakiri. The minimum height requirement for j. 2K FD cancel seems to be higher in Xrd than it was in AC, so j. 2K whiff does seem superior if you're going to go empty.

Also, in almost every situation, a properly timed Mettakiri is always going to be a better option than grab because it can be done outside of the opponent's reversal throw range, it leads to more damage, and most importantly Mettakiri will hit them out of jump start up frames if they try to up back while throw will not (though fuzzy jump really isnt meant to be done on wake-up). 

On a slightly related / unrelated note, I wonder if mettagiri still works on a 1F blockstun. On previous versions of the game, you can mettagiri an enemy that blocks something within 1F - something impossible with regular throws. An "impossible mettagiri", if you will.

Kudos for thinking in the same vein as great Fausts that came before you, though this is how his mix-up has always worked outside of the wild card 6H. FD Drill cancel j. K for the overhead, or empty drill cancel/whiff j. 2K into low/mettakiri. The minimum height requirement for j. 2K FD cancel seems to be higher in Xrd than it was in AC, so j. 2K whiff does seem superior if you're going to go empty.

Also, in almost every situation, a properly timed Mettakiri is always going to be a better option than grab because it can be done outside of the opponent's reversal throw range, it leads to more damage, and most importantly Mettakiri will hit them out of jump start up frames if they try to up back while throw will not (though fuzzy jump really isnt meant to be done on wake-up).

Ahhh I see. This is really the first GG I am getting into competivley. I've played GG since I was young thunder cat, but I didn't know frame data back then. So thanks for not blowing me up, guys. I'll mess with all this stuff you guys have said and see if I can build anything off of it.

You can easily setup whiff J2K > metakiri by doing it jump cancelling out of 2K. The opponent will probably either block low for the three (low in xrd and #reload) hits or mash. If they're mashing you can delay your J2K and hit them instead.