Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CCVengeance

[Xrd] Leo Whitefang General Discussion

"Broken" or "OP" are used in every possible way. Nowadays, It often just means "Another stupid Top Tier contender" or "It will be a pain in the ass to fight that character", something like that.

Not referring to you persay, but even in the comments in the video I uploaded. I've seen comments about him being OP. Frankly, I was worried about Sin being too strong or elphelt with that unblockable set up.

But just like my friend who plays Sin, he thinks that it's in Sin's favor vs Ky. But you can't make that assumption based off a week of playing. When tools and tech are still being discovered. You need months of gameplay footage to determine of a character needs adjustments. Not based off a day to a week, simply because you never played against that character before.

Broken means they *break* the game's mechanics and how it's supposed to be played. I really don't think Leo Whitefang is anywhere near pre-ACR Justice lol, even #R wasn't considered broken, because other characters would fuck him up too.

Being the one that uploaded the video, I don't even see anything truly terrifying about him after watching the video multiple times by now. The only OP thing he has is his intro lol, badass and anime as fuck yo.

I can agree, the term "broken" does get through out alot today due when people see any new character added to a fighting game. To be fair, Sin is quite strong however matchups and what not, are hard to decide on who's favor its in. The game is still VERY young. Once Leo's released I plan on making a thread in his matchups section for each character so people can share info on what's good and bad. :)

Oh, you also left out how amazing his win quotes are...and how anime dat Insta Kill is. :) 

I think that people are right to be a bit worried, however, should hold definite conclusions about him until he's out. 

From what we know, he seems like a worthy contender. The only thing I can think of that would make him bad is if his normals outside of stance are trash, or easy to contest. Or of course, if it's STUPIDLY easy to disrespect his stance pressure. If either of those are true, bad character. Even then, unless it's Kagura levels of predictable, people still seem to struggle with mixup that's ambiguous in how safe or unsafe it is. People talk about how 'easy' it is to block against Azrael, but a year and more of playing, and people still get bodied by week 2 strategies.

Oh, and the shield thing. Probably going to be the saving grace of stance mode. It'll be a great way to condition people to force them to block your pressure.

Are these the same people that automatically assumed that Elphelt, simply because is a gunslinger girl invented by ArcSys, she was going to be exactly or similar to Noel? People are just quick to jump the gun nowadays is all lol, glad so many people play fighters, but too much unwarranted unfounded complaints over nothing lol.

Anyways, based off the video breakdown or wtv, Leo's dp has a follow up hit for knockdown. Here's what I feel about that, based off it being a charge motion I'm under the assumption it'll be almost as good as VV. Having a follow up hit implies, like Sol, he is very much centered around oki and doesn't have as a terribly strong neutral game like say, Ky who's dp doesn't necessarily cause knockdown when hitting you. Finally, I wonder if like Sol and Ky's dp in ACR, if it's possible to do the follow up attack if it is whiffed or blocked, or if it'll be like Ragna's dp.

^Thoughts?

Edit: I was alerted that a Famitsu article came out online so here's a quick translation of it.

Not much new info except for the follow-up after his BT counter, their video shows it in the corner I wonder if it works mid-screen because one of his challenges they have you do his Axe-kick as a follow-up instead when you're at the wall.  Also his overhead from BT(5H) not being special cancellable is interesting.

972a331e44.jpg

Does leo`s forward dash in B(not even gonna attemt to spell) stance have any invul.

He doesn't have any throw invul and we can just call it BT since its a back-turned stance makes it simple enough.

For everyone saying he looks strong the force restand on his j.236H is nice for his mixups.  But all of his Azrael-like shenanigans get blown up because he has 0 throw invul, his projectile isn't like Kagura's where you can run behind it meterless.   But that's all the info we have on him, he's got a handful of tools that could all turn out to be useful or broken as shit.

I wonder if like Sol and Ky's dp in ACR, if it's possible to do the follow up attack if it is whiffed or blocked, or if it'll be like Ragna's dp.

^Thoughts?

The follow up attack depends on if its S or HS, HS gives the hard knockdown S is the "launcher" because you can combo off in on CH.

According to the article, if the translation is correct, it seems Leo does have a throw invul move.

"After knocking an opponent down from a combo while in BT you can form an "interesting" mixup between countering their reversals with his "Kan shield" or using the invul of his [2]8HS to beat out any throw attempts."

So, heres a question for everyone, more specifically for those that have seen/played Leo. Am I the only one that thinks he's not going to be as "Broken" as people have been thinking? Don't get me wrong, his damage can get crazy at points but I think he'll struggle in a lot of matchups. Faust, Ram, Zato=1, maybe even Pot, all seem like they can give him trouble.

No he isn't op, but he does force mixup in his rushdown which is different from most other rushdown characters. Arguably I'd say that when he goes for his stance cancels and low/counter mixup those are hard reads that can make or break his pressure. His air mobility is nothing to worry about and though he has high oki mixup potential he has to work to get in. He just doesn't have to work to stay in like other rush down characters, he just has to guess right and take risks that can end at worse with him eating a punish combo. He'll have the most trouble with zoning characters and others who present a risk up close like Faust, Zato, Ram and Pot. Those characters can keep him honest and/or play to his weaknesses.

Full screen he isn't a threat where Faust and Ram are, and it doesn't matter how tricky your rushdown is if you yourself are being mixed up Zato, Pot, Ino. Don't get me wrong though, he has the ability to fight these characters but he is by no means almighty, just learn when you can press buttons and know what you could be risking by making the choice. I'm calling it now, Whitefang is the masher's bane

According to the article, if the translation is correct, it seems Leo does have a throw invul move.

Considering that's his flashkick, it'd better be throw invul.

According to the posts on my channel; 2 swords= 2 strong lol

ANyways, I saw in one of the videos he can do the knockdown follow up hit on his dp even if it whiffs. Thought I should add that, and it should be noted his projectiles disappear when he's hit, but they have more durability than Ky's projectiles. But I doub they'll beat durandal call projectiles.

Very eager to bait out reversal throw attempts with meaty DP... :vbang:

In other news, few more days! Soon i can finally test out few ideas i have for this bad boy. Will stream day1 for sure!

Very eager to bait out reversal throw attempts with meaty DP... :vbang:

In other news, few more days! Soon i can finally test out few ideas i have for this bad boy. Will stream day1 for sure!

Any news on if America will have to wait until NEXT week or not to play him? ;.;...

I wish they'd just update the store, this one time, on a Thursday in America.

Any news on if America will have to wait until NEXT week or not to play him? ;.;...

I wish they'd just update the store, this one time, on a Thursday in America.

Wait,what? He wont come out on Thursday in America?

He seems to be really strong after watching this video. It's to early to say but I fear another Minazuki here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7MvXaUqms

The reason he seems "really strong" is because he's fighting against the computer. It has nothing to do with the characters abilities and really doesn't apply at all to playing against a human.

Wait,what? He wont come out on Thursday in America?

The PSN store updates on Tuesdays for America, Thursday for Japan. That's why when the street date was lifted we didn't magically receive the game (digitally) or DLC. Which is why I want to hold out hope for a possible early American release for him, or something along those lines. I don't wanna have to wait a full week because they don't wanna update two days off from the release.

Oh man I cannOT wait to main the beep out of this guy! (That sounded better in my head...)

Sadly I'm waiting to officially play xrd online when Leo gets released. Want to fully dedicate to the game when I get him.

Anyways, Leo looks to have some interesting mix up potential and pressure. Might be me being a KAGURA main, but I see vastly similar parallels to KAGURA. Which is effing great!!! Not sure if was asked. However is Leo able to block in other stance?

Oh man I cannOT wait to main the beep out of this guy! (That sounded better in my head...)

Sadly I'm waiting to officially play xrd online when Leo gets released. Want to fully dedicate to the game when I get him.

Anyways, Leo looks to have some interesting mix up potential and pressure. Might be me being a KAGURA main, but I see vastly similar parallels to KAGURA. Which is effing great!!! Not sure if was asked. However is Leo able to block in other stance?

can't block in BT stance can only parry/counter with D.

one of the guys who comes out to weekly offline sessions here in Chicago has a hacked ps3 that had Leo on it tonight. sooooo fun

I still don't have a copy of the game, tonight was actually my first time playing. I thought I was gunna decide between zato, bedman, and sin...but the 3 of them weren't nearly as cool to play with lol

^  Hey, Banks, is that you?   :) 

New to GG, I'm looking really forward to learning!  I went from SFIV to KoFXIII, and now I'd like to try something way out of my comfort zone.  lol  Thanks for all the early Leo info, everyone.  It's been extremely helpful, and I'm very excited to main him.  I'll certainly do my best to contribute to the forum whenever possible!

Cheers!

yo ian, I dunno why but dustloop wont let me quote your post...lol but I was gunna say something dumb like "banks was my fathers name" hyuk hyuk.

you up on that Leo hype man? you're gunna have to ft5 me if you want dibs on the black/pink color #4! haha that's miiiiiine

EDIT: wow, I just put my glasses on, I thought your name said IDF Flanagan, I thought you were ian...my bad flexo, not sure who you are now lolol

No one seems to have mentioned this, but...

Leo's page is open in the Official Japanese Wiki.

Alright just browsing through his move description and there's some juicy stuff in here haha.

His 5K has low invul frames

His 2S and 6H are plus on block

And his 2D and 6K are both throw invulnerable

You can do j.S>j.P as an air block string similar to Ky as well.

His j.D is plus if you hit them low with it as well.

His [4]6+HS is "very" plus when guarded as well it seems.

His [2]8+S only is invul during the startup, the HS version has longer invul frames.

His 236HS is plus on guard and allows you to go for a high, low mixup from his BT stance.

BT P has Upperbody invul for anti-airing,

BT K has throw invul (sickkkk) and is his low from BT

BT H ground bounces on CH and is his overhead from BT

BT 632146S sword throw super is plus on block, no invul though (because that would be pretty ridiculous)

632146H has invul on startup and if you hold H during the super you end it in BT stance.

His dead angle attack is the same as his 5D/Dust Attack so it has some sick reach for getting people off of you.

Throw invuls...? I...i think im gonna cry. This made me so happy.

EDIT: Actually really glad that they added throw invuls to BT K, now they have to respect your stance mixup more. Was worried that throw mash would have been really good against it but apparently they did actually think of that. Also loving the plus frames, helps him keep up offense better. 6HS being plus on block is probably really good also. You can probably space it to avoid throws and still meaty with it for more plus frames into stance oki. jD being plus is interesting, well spaced jD can be a really good way in it seems. 

5k low invuls might be pretty interesting too. definately will have its uses in certain matchups. 

I also looked around a bit at wiki and saw that you can link BT S from BT H, it was demonstrated also in the video, i think the text said that BT H to BT S is 2f link on standing and 3f link on crouching. Not too bad. 

Not sure but Stance S also has a weird describtion, i think it reads that Stance S links to Stance S, but guy with better japanese than i said that it reads that STance S gatlings to Stance S, could be reaaaaally interesting if that's the case. 

VERY interested to try this guy out. More i learn about him, more he feels like a char i would definately love to play. 

Not sure but Stance S also has a weird describtion, i think it reads that Stance S links to Stance S, but guy with better japanese than i said that it reads that STance S gatlings to Stance S, could be reaaaaally interesting if that's the case. 

f07c87b318.jpg

It's saying that its used as a "linker" between moves he has in stance, as shown here in the gatling route chart.