Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSlyMoogle

Anji Mito: An advanced guide to Anji

Ok so Anji.

You've read some of the beginner's guide to Anji Mito. You've got some basic ideas of the character and how to play him. You understand that he's a complete and total badass who just happens to use fans to kill bitches... You know that part right? You understand that even though he is completely sweet he has no matchups in his favor really, and that is cool with you right? If you understand these things... Well I guess you're ready.

Well, here's the more advanced guide to Anji mito and all his goodness:

Anji Mito advanced combos:

So here is a list of combos for Anji that are standard combos that pretty much work on any character in the game if done right.

Note: I will not be posting anything character specific in this thread until later on. Also not posting anything basic here either as you should know by now that 5k,5s,2d is a simple combo that nets knockdown and butterfly, err just one example there.

Ground combos:

Starter: 5k,5s,5hs,236 Hs, FB rin. From here you can do several things.
-Opponent close to corner:
-(possibly dash forward depending on distance), 5k, 5s, On(623 HS).
(Note that depending on character you can get another 236HS and from the wall
bounce still get 5k,5s,On, this is often a better combo as it will put opponent in
the corner at the end of the combo. Anji loves the corner butterfly.)
-Opponent mid-screen:
- Depending on the character you can either get 236 HS again or you might have
to do 2366 HS. This is known as a running or dashing fujin. From there you can do
another FB rin if you have the tension or regular rin to get knockdown.
-If you chose FB rin again, more than likely right now your opponent is
either in the corner, or you were close enough to the corner that your
opponent actually flipped behind you. If your opponent is in the corner be
sure to either get 5k, 5s, On or 5p On. If your opponent flipped behind you
you would have been much better off taking the corner HS Fujin knockdown.

More coming in a few minutes.

I thought running fujin was 2366H. Doesn't 6236H give you On?

Nice, you're right. I was being numerically challenge.

Gosh, it sure has been a long few minutes. xD One thing that I'd like to know more about is using On properly. There are many times when I see people doing something like 214P, P, On. But I absolutely cannot land it whenI try in training mode. They're always too far away unless they're against a wall. Or doing a fujin loop into 2P, 2P, P, On. They tech out before On can land... I must be doing something wrong.....

Some characters have a long enough sprite airbone that allows you to catch them with something like P > On or K > S > On, but many characters simply don't, and often you have to dash after kai in order to catch them properly. That's very specific to some characters like Faust I think. My best advice when you hit an opponent with kai midscreen is to give up the knockdown and go for a combo like : S > Jump Install > 6S > Super jump > jS > jP > jS > Jump cancel > jK > jS > jHS > jD which does shitloads of damage especially after a K kai.

My best advice when you hit an opponent with kai midscreen is to give up the knockdown and go for a combo like :

S > Jump Install > 6S > Super jump > jS > jP > jS > Jump cancel > jK > jS > jHS > jD which does shitloads of damage especially after a K kai.

Uhm... Depends on your midscreen position.

I'll post up more later, and sorry for slacking guys but I had to move out of my place like ASAP and haven't gotten everything straightened out in my new place.

My best advice when you hit an opponent with kai midscreen is to give up the knockdown and go for a combo like :

S > Jump Install > 6S > Super jump > jS > jP > jS > Jump cancel > jK > jS > jHS > jD which does shitloads of damage especially after a K kai.

That's mostly what I've been doing, though it seems very difficult to land that jD at the end, and sometimes the jHS, too.... I've instead been using S > ji > 6S > sj > jS > jP > jS > jumpcancel > jS > jP > jS > jD.

I never know what to do on CH though, because it pops them up too high.

Uhm... Depends on your midscreen position.

Yeah, if you're midscreen but quite close to the corner then you'd better go for corner knockdown is that what you mean ? Because otherwise this combo works no matter your position on the screen with some variations depending on the characters.

For mid weights and ABA use the one I mentioned before.

Lightweights : S > JI > 6S > HJC > jK > jP > jS > JC > jK > jS > jHS > jD

Potemkin and Robo-Ky : S > JI > 6S > JC > jS > jP > jK > jS > JC > jK > jS > jHS > jD

Doesn't work on Johnny but you can do : S > JI > 6S > JC > jS > jP > jK > jS > JC~jP > jS > jD > 214P which is quite fun midscreen

This way you should be able to get it on almost everyone.

On CH it's quite disturbing because you have react to it wait a little before doing the combo, but if you really want knock down then it's your chance to go for dash > K > S > On which works on pretty much everyone on CH. On some characters you can even extend the combo with 236HS > HS with the proper timing.

Getting knockdown... that's another thing I'm really unsure of how to do properly. When I try in training mode, ending an aerial combo with HS or TK-orb lets the opponent tech out instead of knockdown. D: Another thing that I think would be really important to learn is how to pressure properly. It seems like after a few hits there's really nothing I can do to keep them pressured... Are there any good moves to end a string with that let you followup after for a frametrap or something of the sort?

Isn't j.D an aerial knockdown move?

If it is, I'm going to Fujin myself in the face 10 times for having played Anji for years without realizing this. X_x

jD does knockdown only when you are already very close to the ground, jHS and orb also require you to be close enough to the ground. Otherwise you can't KD with those moves. You can't really get knockdown from an air combo midscreen unless you do a very short combo into jHS or unless you RC orb and air dash afterwards into something like jS > jHS > jD > orb (not very worth it). But you can get knock down from a corner air combo, for example against Venom, Sol and most other middle weight characters : 214P > S > JI > 6S > HJ > jK (delay) > jS > jHS > jD > 214P This is sometimes hard and requires some variations depending on the characters, but I think I already detailed the variations of that combo somewhere else on this forum... Also Wolf regarding pressuring, what you are mentioning is IMO the exact reason why Anji is so low in character rankings : he seriously lacks a strong special move that could at least keep him safe while pressuring. I mean plain fuujin isn't safe on block, and all its followups are really easy to punish for a good player (unless you use nagiha RC which is expensive). Sometimes it's better to simply stop your pressure rather than using fuujin in the opponent's guard. Sometimes if you vary your options after fuujin you can manage to surprise your opponent... But this implies taking risks... it's up to you to judge by your opponent's reactions to fuujin if this risk is worth taking or not (and most of the times it's not, sadly). Effective ways to pressure with Anji without taking many risks include P Kai (at a close enough distance) which leaves at slight advantage on block, shitsu at the right distance (can be used in several ways, for example throwing it and blocking if you expect the opponent to attack after the first hit, or using HS fuujin to hit him from a backdash), or 2K frametraps... But all those options have low mixup value and lead generally to low damage, their effectiveness also depends highly on your opponent's state of mind. I mean if he stays calm he will most likely just block and wait for you to make a mistake, or just wait until you have no other way to keep pressure anymore. Pressuring with Anji effectively is really hard, but IMO you have to try every possible solution to see how your opponent will react to it and use those who seem to work best.

I'm finding P as a Fuujin follow-up command. Use it sparingly. Good against those who lack a good anti-air, like Zappa or normal A.B.A. Great. The 6IAD afterwards keeps up the momentum if they fumble for a second. Or at least from what I've played anyways.

P followup is only good because it is fairly unexpected. "Used Sparingly" should be gold painted and plastered to your front door. With all of Fuujin's other followups being generally better and more useful, P is the once in a blue moon kind of ability that players will never expect you to throw. Of course, it's also probably the easiest to block or avoid.

P followup is only good because it is fairly unexpected. "Used Sparingly" should be gold painted and plastered to your front door. With all of Fuujin's other followups being generally better and more useful, P is the once in a blue moon kind of ability that players will never expect you to throw.

Of course, it's also probably the easiest to block or avoid.

Thats my favorite followup though! Only because I kept going right under my opponent and it was the only one that let me avoid his followup attack. It happened at least three times the last time I played as anji. God the computer is stupid.

Wait a sec where's all the advanced :AN: stuffs? No bad feelings intended, but I think Fuujin -> FB Rin -> dash buffered Fuujin -> Hop -> On is B&B stuff that vid watchers can pick out from day one.

To start, I think an advanced guide could use some info on:

• Practical midscreen aircombo -> knockdown, setups/followups for these, which normals need to be delayed and by how much
  • How to get corner j.H knockdowns, these seem to be really good and allow time for Red Butterfly unblocks
  • General lists of ways to set up Butterfly pressure, and Red Butterfly unblocks
  • Followups after landing a combo to 5H -> Fuujin in or near the corner (this situation is really annoying)
  • Tensionless TK birthday cake -> On combos
  • (extra) snarky uses of j.D
  • How to pressure/combo from a low into something meaningful (options from 2K suck and 2S needs 3S-cancelling to be worth something :()
  • If 3S-cancelling is indeed needed to do something worthwhile from lows, tips on getting it down 100%
  • Options for creating offensive pressure other than strategically placed Fuujin

This would help me (and hopefully others!) out greatly in the quest for Anji knowledge!

i agree most of that will help out me game a lot. except cant you just do S after fujin and get a setup most of the time. and for my corner knockdown combos into setups i do p stomp wait for a second (each chars wait time is differnt) 5k 5s 6s sjc jk js jhs jd orb or k stomp wait 5s 6s sjc jk js jhs jd orb or fuijin fb rin u could use either one but they are all character dependent and wit johhny aba and robo ky its really hard to get the sweet spot down on how long u wait

i agree most of that will help out me game a lot. except cant you just do S after fujin and get a setup most of the time.

A good player will pretty much block low for all fuujin set ups unless its hop (or FB) then they may try to punish you. I can't Fuujin~S my friend anymore because she's just afraid that I'll sweep her and go for a butterfly set up. So, I gotta go with Fuujin~P~IAD then trick her into thinking I'll P or S after Fuujin. You can't spam Fuujin~S. It's just stupid. Unless the other player isn't used to Anji. That's all I know.

teyah owning in anji forums...I am ashamed of you guys :P

I spent a shitton of time doing an advanced guide in slash, it takes a longass time and honestly it wasn't even that great because by the time i finished it, some of the strats were getting outdated.

Not to mention there isn't a ton of traffic on this forum these day's. Rightfully so, blazblue is around the corner, and Anji is difficult to win with in AC with retarded amounts of playtime and matchup knowledge.

I'd take some time and lay out some stuff, but i just don't play AC a ton these days, and there are probably people out there who can bust some better ideas than I can for you.

I'll try to think of something i can write up if i get some free time over the holiday.

o i thought he meant if you get a hit wit fujin. but when they block it i usually do hs if i am not facing a fast player like jam or something, or i wait a little bit and i always mix it up until they dont do anything after fujin it worked the only time i faced a japanese player but then again i def aint an expert on this cuz i have only faced like 3 good people

Where's the tensionless semi-midscreen HS Fuujin, K follow-up, 5P xx On combos? Or the midscreen launch into 5S xx S Fuujin, FB Rin, dashing HS Fuujin combos? Or the corner combo ender 5K, 5S jc j.D xx Orb? So many options. It's ridiculous.

Not sure if anyone reads this at all, but here's the BNB corner Fuujin loop + enders vid that I got from Honnou: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WD2BI397.

Shows the fuujin loop combo for all characters as well as enders for it. Also shows tensionless HS fuujin->nagiha corner combos on most if not all.

Not sure how much has been written here about 3S kara here, but I figure I'll put in my 2 cents. Its main uses are: allowing you to adjust spacing on ground combos (need them farther? just add more 5S! helps with tensionless midscreen hs fuujin>hop stuff), longer and stronger block strings, and allowing you to combo aba/johnny/pot/robo on a 2S hit by karaing it into 5S>5H>H Fuujin. I still want to know if you can do stuff like 2S>kara>2S but I'm afraid my execution isn't quite that good atm.

For midscreen tensionless H Fuujin>hop combos, I believe you generally want to hit them at as max range possible with 5H>236H so that you can hop asap and then get the 5P>sj combo. I know I can get it on Slayer, but it seems impossible on the heavy guys. Not sure bout the light chicks atm. Basically you can just get a hit, then do a bunch of 5S>kara>5S till they are fairly far, then do 5H>236H>Hop>5P/K/S>SJ combo.

Keeping momentum during a Super Double Jump. If you jump cancel into a double jump right when you hit the guy with a normal, you'll retain momentum into the double jump instead of going mostly straight up. This is key to his SDJ corner enders as well as letting you get better damage off pretty much any JI into SDJ air combo you do. It's fairly easy once you understand it.

Solo Jump Installing 5P. Still working on this myself, but if you can learn how to solo JI his 5P (5P>829>air combo), you can eek out a decent amount more damage when you get those 5P AA hits or a 236H>nagiha>relaunch corner combo.

For his Midscreen BNB, you will also want to learn to dash fuujin (2366H). Pretty much have to dash fuujin after a 2D>236S>D starter midscreen. Also may have to do it after some 5H>236H>D combos also depending on distance. Dashing butterfly (2366P or D) is also extremely useful when you On somebody out of the corner. Otherwise, the butterfly will often dissipate without hitting your opponent.

I still want to know if you can do stuff like 2S>kara>2S but I'm afraid my execution isn't quite that good atm.

You can 3S whiff cancel into 5S,5H only.

For midscreen tensionless H Fuujin>hop combos, I believe you generally want to hit them at as max range possible with 5H>236H so that you can hop asap and then get the 5P>sj combo.

I guess I have something to play around with again. I'd like to try max range 5H,236H->K,5p/5S just to see if it works from true midscreen. It's always felt to me that it connected only from about a screen width outside the corner, where the screen scrolls but not enough to miss the wall bounce.

Solo Jump Installing 5P ... 236H>nagiha>relaunch corner combo.

This would be baller.

I'll just throw this on here again. I think I've put it up twice before, but it was lost to thread cleanup.

-236H links to itself on counterhit.

From starting position on Testament you can do (CH)236H,236H->K,5S,236S->K,...fuujin loop