Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

Venom vs Chipp

Matchup is heavily in Chipp's favor. Venom's worst matchup.

I haven't fought it much personally myself.

Teleport YRC means you can get punished for trying nearly anything in neutral. If you can catch him, kill him. But he does have a DP (needs 50 meter to make it safe though, unlike last game).

A lot of his oki is left/right based, so reversal blitz shield becomes an important tool.

From Blacksnake on twitter:

"Be unpredictable in your movement and run a lot. No more than 1 ball set and you don't get many chances."

This generally applies to the other fast characters, ie Millia.

I faced off against a pretty good Chipp player yesterday. I won the first round, but he started to catch on and won the second and third rounds. The key to this match is to jump, run and never -EVER- stay still if you can. I try to avoid using Stinger Aim unless I can YRC it. I try to avoid QV-ing since it has a slow start up. Carcass Raid is kind of a crapshoot since good Chipp players can teleport away. If it does hit, do an air combo that knocks him away and set up a ball.

Otherwise, I say play defensively and wait for an opening. There's really not much you can do since Chipp can decimate foes quickly. Luckily, a few hits here and there and he'll be hurting for days.

Gonna spend a long while fighting my semi-local Chipp player tomorrow afternoon and evening. Hopefully I'll come back with some helpful tips.

I did get to fight this matchup a fair bit with our one Chipp player.

While Blitz is important, It might be better for his midscreen j.HS oki. When doing his wall stick crossups, it's very easy for chipp to fake and go low.

I think f.S YRC is important in this matchup. f.S being Venom's longest range poke. If it hits with 25-49 meter, no yrc, cancel into a ball or 2S/2D if you're in range (latter if you can). With more than 50 meter, on contact, you'll be in (and if it hit, you'll get a bnb). If no contact, a YRC will keep him slow for a moment to get in or set a ball.

And of course, if he attempts one of several teleports, you'll get c.S and punish!

Alright, I'm shit lmao.

I felt pretty helpless in this matchup, tbh. I agree f.S YRC was pretty important. Not only is it just really strong for the poke, but it also makes it so that Chipp can get thrown off of his neutral momentum from the slowdown. Extremely important. 

My 6P kept clashing or losing to his j.D/j.H jump ins, but 2H worked surprisingly well for stuffing both (2H would occasionally trade with j.D but I digress) if he IADs towards you.

Overall, stand slash, 2H and to some extent 6H are our favorite buttons here, staying on the move as much as you can, and getting on his ass is really important. Get momentum, and keep it. If you lose it, it's really hard to come back.

This shit sucks balls. It's as if Chipp was made to just beat Venom mercilessly. I'll try implementing YRC f.S into my game though.

I think the best bet at the start of a round is to just back off. Chipp's 5K stuff our 2S, and the best answer I could find was S Carcass. But obviously if he does anything else (like teleport), you're gonna get fucked.

Is there a way to tell which side he's going to during the walk cling mixups in the corner when he does falling j.HS?

His 2D also stuffs seemingly everything start of the round and hits you from starting position, as I found out the hard way at Winter Brawl.

As far as I know, no way to tell which side. Blitz can be useful in dealing with it, but Chipp players can also land and go low.

Normal block 2D>Carcass Raid can be punished by his 2D; that is, he can get a CH 2D reliably before Carcass Raid hits. His 2D is wide as shieeeeeeeet.

Air ball summon will at worst get you hit and at best, leave you blocking (if the Chipp is good enough). And a ball-less Venom in this match-up is ballssss.

Are there any holes in his basic pressure? I'm finally getting to play this unholy bullshit, and it feels like I'm playing against Zato with how long I have to block.

A lot of Chipp's normals are very fast and are strong on block (not to mention some good priority). 6K is a gap of course though.

Rekka first hit is -1, Instant blocking that can help Venom get out, or attempt a counterpoke (beware of the 2nd Rekka in those cases).

Teleports depending on which one can be 20-30 frames total. If he's using them up close during pressure, take that into consideration (as well as YRC... :psyduck: )