Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

Venom vs Millia

It seems like Millia can dance around anything Venom attempts. Trying to set balls in neutral is suicide because of that run speed and airdash. She has a pretty easy time getting around zoning. AA 6P has to be done days early if you want to have a chance to hit her before she gets in. This is definitely a matchup that makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

How the hell is Venom supposed to handle insanely fast characters?

Patience, mobility, meter management, and precision. In addition, once you actually catch them, do not let them go.

While this matchup is still very difficult, coming from +r where she had 3 different pin variants, that part of the matchup feels easier at least. Millia's neutral relies on her speed, her pokes are subpar and she has no guaranteed meterless approach outside of pin. I believe the optimal pin solution is jumping ib -> Airthrow her.

To add one to the "how the fuck do I _____ against Millia" list, how does Venom punish her superjumping out of pressure? My usual default pressure strings involve trying to sneak in S Carcass resets after c.S(2), 2S, 2D, and 2H, but with her superjump speed and height, it seems she has a ton of leeway to react to any attempt at S Carcass in general. H Carcass doesn't seem to be great for punishing the jump-out as the speed and angle don't really seem to intersect with her jump very well and even if I YRC the Carcass on reaction to her jump, I can't really seem to challenge her air normals even if I go up after her.

If you're referring to the Corner, c.S(2) should almost always guarantee S Carcass, and HS Carcass should be able to interrupt (as is the purpose of the move, so if it's not...)

Midscreen though, you gotta change it up completely...

One option you can do is Double Head Morbid when you would Carcass, especially with meter of course. In addition you can of course YRC your Carcass early without waiting for her to jump and go for pressure resets. Because Venom doesn't need meter for Damage, you can dump all your meter for pressure and getting in just fine.

With this info, if you're struggling to keep someone under pressure in general, you can always take to the old strategy against Baiken: Use your pressure resets to go for mixup options rather than pressure extender. Of course these can be one and the same sometimes, but yeah, more throws and Mad Struggles.

At least in the case of this character, she dies as fast as she moves...*sigh*