Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

Venom vs Potemkin

Matchup is in Venom's favor. However, if you're not careful, you could die quickly!

Watchout for Hammerfall YRC. It lets him approach with the one hit of armor and either Pot Buster or AA you. Venom deals with Hammerfall fairly well between gatlings, ball hits, and YRC.

Use Venom's dash, backdash, and air summon to get around slidehead

Flick is a thing so be sure to change ball speeds.

ICPM and YRC/RC/PRCing it is very new to me, I'm not sure how to approach dealing with it.

He takes all 3 hits crouching from Venom's c.S. Helpful for pressure, confirms, and combos!

FS > 2S is a useful chain in neutral to keep reckless hamerfalls in check. If you get a ball flicked, jump and air summon. Watch for ICPM though.

I have trouble reacting to slidehead. What should I look for to be able to consistently avoid it?

He draws his arms back slightly and stands up straighter. It's kind of a weird looking move, just a matter of getting familiar with the animation. Obviously the answer is jump to avoid it, but in some ways if you're full screen vs Potemkin I like jumping a lot and setting a ball up high. Then if he slide heads on my way down, summon another ball. If he doesn't, summon one on the ground and repeat.

TK summons and backdash are also quite useful for avoiding Slidehead.

My favorite trick as of now against flick is to summon HS ball and teleport past the FDB. Obviously can't be too predictable with it but if you see Potemkin is not in a position to predict or punish it....

Note that QV cannot absorb the FDB projectile (and you'd probably eat a slidehead for your efforts anyway...)

What kind of priority does FDB have against supers? Can he flick Dark Angel or Bishop Runout? How does a flicked projectile react to either of those supers? (like FDB S Stinger, Venom does either super back to "stop" the fireball)

FDB can flick any actual projectile, and though it keeps going after a successful flick, I believe he can block dark angel after flicking it. I'm not sure how it affects Bishop Runout. Still don't have a damn PS3/4 to test. :( (so be gentle, a lot of this is stuff I'm assuming is still the same from AC/AC+R).

FDB projectile works like dark angel. It'll absorb other projectiles and just keep going. Dark angel and FDB should simply pass right through each other.

If Potemkin flicks a projectile, his recovery becomes invincible.

Wasn't sure if it could hit ODs. When Dark Angel was good, it wasn't to be used in situations where it would be flickable (in near gapless pressure or on his wakeup).

I just happened to be lurking so I don't know if you guys already found out about this since this is for something about a month ago.

Pot can't flick supers. So no flicking bishop runout or dark angel. The missile, however, should pass through them like stated earlier.

Yeah, with Dark Angel not being good and not really being a flickable super when one used it normally...

...but it was good to find out regarding Bishop though. Might make that a handy neutral tool in this matchup for closing out games, since even if Pot has one life, if he gains momentum, it's very dangerous...

Wow, Pot not being able to flick supers is interesting. I wonder why the change? Yeah, BRO is going to be a lot better at neutral in this matchup I'd think. Balls into Bishop into more balls is a bad day for Potemkin.

It'll be even worse come 1.1 when bouncing stinger and carcass off BRO charges the balls. Even if he "can" flick back the normal balls, we have the potential to leave no room. All he can do is FD to avoid ST level chip damage and lose every last ounce of tension, or die slowly and painfully via bullet hell.

I will test again to make sure I'm not giving out wrong information when I get the chance and let you guys know. But I believe I've tried flicking runout before in sets against Eshi only to get blown up. I also remember trying to flick dark angel in training mode and also getting blown up.

My theory on the change is that supers have an extra property added to them aside from being a straight projectile. Example: I can't flick sacred edge nor can I flick Elphelt missile.

My other theory is that it has something to do with Potemkin's FDB hitbox. For example, if Faust throws a bag bomb at my feet, I can't flick it because it's below the flick's hitbox. I also have never been able to flick Ky's HS stunedge grinder unless I was at the end of the projectile.

I'm really curious myself because it'd be nice if I could flick a lot of these things. I've never formally sat down and labbed most of these situations aside from Faust's items so I'll let you guys know.

But keep in mind that flick doesn't reflect at frame 1, it starts at frame 4 so no flicking meaties or really instant/fast moves. I know Elphelt likes throwing a pine berry to bait my flick and then shoots the missile to punish me.

So even if these things are flickable, it's probably really freaking hard to do so especially if there's other things flying at me during my startup.

Edit: I can't flick anything. Just tested it both supers. Despair.

Im really at lost in this match, maybe I just can't see it yet but I can't really summon on the ground and balls get flick'd. Even when I try to hit them at different speeds he just flicks them and advances. I've even seen Fino struggle vs FAB sometimes

Im really at lost in this match, maybe I just can't see it yet but I can't really summon on the ground and balls get flick'd. Even when I try to hit them at different speeds he just flicks them and advances. I've even seen Fino struggle vs FAB sometimes

It's not free by any means.

If he's flicking everything despite changing speeds/angles, it may be best to use the ball's existence as a threat and react to Potemkin. Don't forget of course about your poking and anti-air game, although 6P will not touch Megafist (can't do it in the air) and j.D. (watch where Potemkin is relative to you).