Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magaki

Elphelt vs Bedman

Discuss the matchup here.

Summary

[collapse][/collapse]

Gameplan

Neutral game:
[collapse][/collapse]

Offense:
[collapse][/collapse]

Defense:
[collapse][/collapse]

Character Specifics

[collapse][/collapse]

So I just played a good chunk of matches with a pretty decent Bedman for the first time in months. Can someone please tell what the hell your supposed to do against this guy?? I was completely lost when he managed to lock me down and whenever I lost offensive momentum it was pretty much over for me most of the time if I didn't have a burst or meter to dead angle.

His pressure and neutral can be pretty good once he gets seal setups. Keyword here is "setup" and making sure he won't get them is the most important part of this matchup.

Because every special will give him a seal allowing him to use his deja vu specials, you have to keep in mind that he obviously need to commit to using those specials in the first place.

Didn't play against that many Bedman in 1.1 but matchup seem to still be exactly the same as in 1.0 though.
Plenty of tools Elphelt has that are risky or can be easily countered in most matchups isn't with Bedman at all.

For instance, IAD back>j236P>j4P gets beaten flat by people choosing to simply rush Elphelt with a simple dash or IAD resulting in you in recovery with a grenade activated right before their face.
This risk doesn't exist with Bedman simply because his mobility is one of the worst and he got no way to stop you from doing just that. In fact, his only answer would be to use a special to get a seal to have some momentum too but the recovery on them is pretty big and the fastest one is 236P or j236P which is his main zoning tool that however disappear on BLOCK. Whether the projectiles cancel each other or Bedman get hit/block, it's generally always in Elphelt's favour.
Of course he can go for other specials but the big recovery on it makes the situation worse.

To be honest, the gameplan neutral-wise in that matchup is just always the same. Throw a grenade and rush him down. Elphelt wins on the ground and her air game against him is even better and his seals will tend to pop more often than not due to Elphelt's hitboxes.

Speaking of her air game, his air combo routes are very unstable and j236S only gives knockdown at low height making air throws his best air-to-air option against her. Problem for him though, the untech on it is meh so he can't setup any seal after it and has to just go for a simple meaty. That's why if you want to observe whatever the Bedman player is doing, you might want to stay in the air that got a much better risk/reward ratio for you in that matchup.

There are also other stuff in neutral you can use that is really annoying for him. For example, that's the only matchup where rifle in neutral is legit very strong and annoying for him to deal with. Of course, there is still the threat of 3H that is now jump cancelable but he needs a hard read for that (unless you decide that using rifle and not shooting is a good idea of course.) and if you decide to rush him, he will be in recovery for a very long time due to 3H's horrible frame data.

Defense-wise, the only tools you will need are generally backdash, fuzzy jumps and DAA. Judge tended to have the first hit whiff way too often for me so I just decided to use Dead Angle instead that seems to be a major headache when coupled with Elphelt's fast backdashes.
Obviously, fuzzy jumps if successful result in you in the air which is again where you might want to be against him.

Finally, don't get opened up by silly stuff like 236H or more known as the beddive (Just use cS that will beat both cross-ups and fake crossups. Blitzshield is great too if you want something faster) or Bedman who think that 993 jS/2K is a legit 50/50 (Against people who keep using that, just disrespect it. With 6S+H OS ideally. Otherwise, this is quite easy to fuzzy block. You risk getting thrown however with a fuzzy block.).
A good mixup option he got however is his IOH jD RC but that will only be dangerous most of the time on okizeme. In pressure, he needs to be quite close to really have an "instant" overhead. To be more specific, in throw range. The exception however is 5H(2) that vacuum and is jump cancelable on block. However, jump cancels can be delayed but not gatlings. So 5H(2)>2D obviously can't be delayed either meaning that a simple fuzzy block will deal with it flat.

That's the only things that comes to mind right now but matchup to sum it up is just horribly in Elphelt's favour and the Bedman players need to either be MUCH stronger than the Elphelt player or simply deal with an Elphelt that doesn't know the matchup at all.