Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy vs. Ky Kiske

• Use this thread to discuss the Ky Kiske matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.

Round Start:

Neutral:

Offense:
  • Wake-up timing: 51f face-up, 49f face-down.
  • Safejump Option-Selects: OS 5K, c.S, and 6P hit backdash, but none are safe to DP and Ride the Lightning.
  • All fuzzy guards fail.

Defense:
  • Overheads:

Punishes:
  • Dust: f.S on IB.
  • Dead Angle Attack: dash 5K/c.S on block. Can be low profiled with 2D, punish whiff with c.S.
  • Ride the Lightning (632146HS): CH 2D/5HS on block.

Combo Notes:

So I'm still having trouble with the match up. Usually when we're in neutral he's beating me pretty badly. Throwing out things like f.S and c.S, I'm trying to convert these random hits into damage but I'm just not connecting. Also do note that this is netplay, I'm guessing the lag is making this fight worse than it should be. And usually when I'm trying to hurt him in neutral nothing is happeninghe's just blocking everything. Whenever I knock him down in the corner he's mashing 2p and throw and I'm trying to figure out how to beat it.

Another thing is that usually when I have him knocked down I run up and do 5k, c.S, 2s,into gunflame on block. And I usually try to follow that up with fafnir, but I really can do anything to break his guard and it's frustrating me.

So I'm still having trouble with the match up. Usually when we're in neutral he's beating me pretty badly. Throwing out things like f.S and c.S, I'm trying to convert these random hits into damage but I'm just not connecting. Also do note that this is netplay, I'm guessing the lag is making this fight worse than it should be. And usually when I'm trying to hurt him in neutral nothing is happeninghe's just blocking everything. Whenever I knock him down in the corner he's mashing 2p and throw and I'm trying to figure out how to beat it.

Another thing is that usually when I have him knocked down I run up and do 5k, c.S, 2s,into gunflame on block. And I usually try to follow that up with fafnir, but I really can do anything to break his guard and it's frustrating me.

Although Sol's oki is not the most powerful in the game, he has enough options to open people up if you are creative, have good reads, and teach them to be scared of your command throw.

You should learn safe jumps with j.S, specially against Ky. His DP is useless on wake up, so force them to block and try cutting your blockstrings short (j.S > 2P, 2K) to go for a dash command throw.

Once they are afraid enough of this option, you start harassing them with frame traps using 6P, 2D, or c.S.

How do I safe jump with j.S? 

When I had him in the corner, I had some success doing things like 5k, c.S, 2S, Gunflame (RRC), 2p  Wild Throw. Unfortunately the lag was really screwing with my timing in terms of combos. I couldn't do dustloops at all in that lag and I believe that had something to do with it.

There were also problems with keeping Ky in the corner. He had 4 patterns he'd alternate on. He was either mashing 2p, DP, jumping out of the corner, or blocking like his life depended on it. I think I remember reading that doing 2k, 5k stops people attempting to jump out because the 2k into 5k catches it.

How do I safe jump with j.S? 

When I had him in the corner, I had some success doing things like 5k, c.S, 2S, Gunflame (RRC), 2p  Wild Throw. Unfortunately the lag was really screwing with my timing in terms of combos. I couldn't do dustloops at all in that lag and I believe that had something to do with it.

There were also problems with keeping Ky in the corner. He had 4 patterns he'd alternate on. He was either mashing 2p, DP, jumping out of the corner, or blocking like his life depended on it. I think I remember reading that doing 2k, 5k stops people attempting to jump out because the 2k into 5k catches it.

The safe jump timing on j.S depends on what you knocked down with. If you knocked down with BR, I believe you can take a half-step forward and meaty a j.S with enough time to block reversal Vapor Thrust. 

As far as anti-Ky oki goes, he's more-or-less completely free to a meaty 2D placed outside of throw range. Ky's 2P is a lame button to mash on wakeup (he should really be mashing OS throw if he's gonna do that) and loses to all meaties and safe jumps. Vapor Thrust, although a true reversal, hits really high up, and completely whiffs on low-profile attacks like Sol's 2D, giving you a free CH 2H on his way down. Jumping out loses to meaties. You can just 2D him on wakeup until he learns to block or backstep on wakeup, since it's really to your advantage if he has to burn 50 Tension for a reversal Ride the Lightning, not to mention the 2f reversal buffer means people have trouble with reversals in the first place, so you can catch a lot of mashers with meaty 5K.

Once you convince him to stop mashing reversals, you can go into the usual Sol Badguy stuff, like blocked 2K into either tick-WT or 5K to catch jumping.

TLDR, meaty 2D beats 3/4 of this player's wake up buttons.

When spaced properly, Ky's meaty 6HS works like a safejump - if you do a invul move, he recovers in time to block (or stays out of range entirely if he did it far enough, but good Ky players avoid this cause they won't get as good pressure afterwards) the VV or TR - found out the hard way... It's pretty easy to see when this happens, cause he has to connect the 2nd hit only. Of course reversal Blitz Shield beats it without problem. Pretty much means that a good Ky player will unconditionally force you to respect this, unless they really slip up.

It CAN connect, but the timing is strange and I haven't fully figured it out yet. I usually drop it. I think GF RC combos are probably the way to go, they do more damage anyway. BR RC is just far easier to confirm and also gives you the silly corner carry.