Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy vs. Millia Rage

• Use this thread to discuss the Millia Rage matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.
Round Start:

Neutral:
  • Dashing 2D is strong, you can low profile f.S with it for CH. She can outrange and whiff punish it with 2D. Her backdash is extremely quick recovery so she can also dodge it with that and leave you at disadvantage or punishable. Mix dash 2D with f.S/2S to counter her own 2D attempt. 2S is safer to whiff but won't reach as far. You can also just keep dashing in if you expect them to backdash at your max 2D range and start pressure or catch the backdash with 5K/f.S/Fafnir.
  • Max range 2S will outrange and whiff punish her f.S. It will also counter her 2D at the same range.
  • She can use 6K to combat your max range 2S and 2D, it will dodge them if done simultaneously. If you anticipate this, you can delay a 2D which hits her on the way down, or CH f.S/5HS/6P it.

Offense:
  • Wake up timing: 25f face-up, 23f face-down.
  • Safejump Option-Selects: No reliable backdash punishes at midscreen.
  • deep j.S/j.D (JC) > fuzzy j.S works.
  • Minimum height air dash j.S > j.D results in j.D whiff on crouch hit.
  • When spaced outside throw range in corner neutral jump oki, j.D will not hit her crouch.

Defense/Punishes:
  • Overheads: 6K (19f startup, +3 on block), 6HS(2) (jump/special cancellable), 5D (28f startup, -10 on block), Bad Moon, Winger (2nd hit).
  • Dust (-10): dash f.S on IB (5HS will only combo here if you were extremely close).
  • Dead Angle Attack: dash c.S on block. Can be low profiled by 2D, punish whiff with c.S.
  • tk Bad Moon (j.236P): f.S air hit, dash c.S, dash 2HS (max damage but must be close). She is in crouching state for the recovery.
  • Iron Savior: dash f.S on IB, max range so gatling to 5HS will not reach.
  • Digitalis: CH 5HS stand hit on block, works from farther range on IB.
  • Winger (2141236HS): c.S after blocking 2nd hit, note 2nd hit is overhead

Combo Notes:
  • WT > delay dash j.D is very strict.
  • 2K > 6P must hit closer than usual to combo on stand hit.
  • When using Fafnir in dustloops, if you are deep in corner Fafnir whiffs.
  • Optimal deep in corner route: starter > j.D > Kudakero > 2HS (JC) > j.D, falling j.D > Fafnir > ender (see posts below for examples, this is Millia only).
  • Crouch hit CH 5HS > BB fails.

Soo... how bad is this matchup? Where do I start? Sure, I outdamage her, but she just backdashes my oki midscreen and as soon as she touches me I'm in the vortex. She also seems to have faster buttons, and anti-airing her with 5K is difficult due to how she varies her approach and how fast she comes at me. It seems like she can just hit and run all day. 

How do you approach this matchup from round start?

I wouldn't say this match is bad necessarily, we have some good things for it that many others don't. It's scary though for sure.

Her backdash is easily one of the better ones in the game and can be very hard to punish without a hard read like running 5K (if they get predictable with it that's not so uncommon). Sometimes your best bet is to just chase it and trying to apply more pressure and drive her to corner. Low airdash j.P should hit it if they do it on your safejump every time. You can also just put an OS dash in to get close.

For dealing with her normals at neutral, I recommend reading Teyah's first post in her matchup thread to see it from her perspective. To deal with her f.S, we have dashing 2D. To deal with our 2D, she has her own 2D at max range. To deal with her max range 2D, we have f.S and 5HS.

Anti-air 5K works well usually but not if they are higher up and pin you in the face. Just be mindful of her height/angle when you decide to use it.

Speaking of pin, lots seem to talk as if pin is a lot less useful, which is true I'm sure, but I still fear it and treat it similarly. Try to avoid it, even blocking is not ideal since then she gets pressure. Usually jump or highjump back will dodge if you think they're about to throw it. Backdash too but it can catch if you did it too early. Once pin is gone I find her a lot less scary in neutral, keep track of where it is and guard it. Don't get too defensive though.

If they're dashing/flying around an excessive amount, ground BR, Fafnir, and Kudakero can be good at stuffing movement and bringing her to ground. GF doesn't feel too useful to me in the match outside of pressure (and feels weaker there too) because she's so fast.

When you do land hits you must get the knockdown if possible and stick to her at all costs.

Round start is kinda like neutral at her max 2D range. If you think they'll go for that, CH f.S and 5HS can work. Dash 2D will go under a lot including f.S. BR can catch jumping around. Or to play it safer you can just dash brake or stay put and low instant block.

Watch some vids of better Sol's and see if you can understand the thought process going on in different situations. There's a lot to this matchup and maybe others can correct me on anything or chime in.

I just tested it, and j.S, jc.S works as a fuzzy jump against Millia. both midscreen and on the corner.

Also, j.HS, [K], 6P works as a safe jump option select.

- Against reversals, Sol lands and is able to block.

- If Millia times his backdash poorly, she gets hit by j.HS (2nd hit) into 6P.

- If she backdashes, the K comes out catching her backdash. Cancelling it into 2HS gives you a full corner combo.

I just tested it, and j.S, jc.S works as a fuzzy jump against Millia. both midscreen and on the corner.

Also, j.HS, [K], 6P works as a safe jump option select.

- Against reversals, Sol lands and is able to block.

- If Millia times his backdash poorly, she gets hit by j.HS (2nd hit) into 6P.

- If she backdashes, the K comes out catching her backdash. Cancelling it into 2HS gives you a full corner combo.

You're right, I got j.S to fuzzy too. Thanks I'll update that.

And this OS only catches her backdash in corner right? I didn't really specify but so far I've only looked at OS backdash punishes at midscreen.

2S is also useful in neutral for this match. If you're spaced just outside her f.S range you will hit that if she whiffs it, and 2S will counter her 2D at that range too. So it's a bit safer option for punishing max range 2D from her in attempts to hit your own 2D. It recovers fast so not as bad on whiff as your f.S and 5HS.

From her 6HS, she can cancel the first hit into Iron Savior to hit low as you high block expecting the 2nd 6HS hit. For this you just need to either react to it or switch to low block once the window for the 2nd 6HS hit is over, the low takes slightly longer to connect. IB 1st hit > upback will jump Iron Savior and block 2nd hit, but you would get hit by Digitalis. Block 1st hit > RS is a funny punish for Iron Savior but also gets hit by Digitalis.

And on some character specifics, minimum height airdash j.S > j.D will cause j.D to whiff on crouch hit of the j.S. You can just use j.S > j.HS instead to be safe.

In neutral jump outside throw range corner safejump oki, j.D won't hit her for crouch blocking.

Really damaging corner specific combo against Millia:

K (1hit), c.S, 6P > (delay) HS, sjc.D, Break > 2HS, jc.D, j.D > Fafnir > dash 6P, HS, HSVV > TO [233 dmg]

Tested it on other light characters, but whiffs on May and I-No.

Sounds interesting I'll have to try that.

So Millia can 6K if you overuse 2S and 2D in neutral, to throw a wrench in things. You can CH f.S or 5HS if you think it's coming, or 6P from closer. BR works too pretty well if you wanna get funny. Speaking of BR, not sure if mentioned yet but if you managed to use it over her 2D, it will crouch hit and link to 5K.

Really damaging corner specific combo against Millia:

K (1hit), c.S, 6P > (delay) HS, sjc.D, Break > 2HS, jc.D, j.D > Fafnir > dash 6P, HS, HSVV > TO [233 dmg]

Tested it on other light characters, but whiffs on May and I-No.

I was trying this a bit and wasn't getting it. Is the notation right? I assume Kudakero is only connecting with the first hit?

Looked at BR vs 6K more and it's kinda bad looking actually, it wins if you hit her out of 6K early on but that's about it.

2D can counter 6K around the middle of the animation. So if they like to do it to punish 2D, you can just wait a tiny bit longer before pressing it at those moments.

You can punish tk.Badmoon on block with air hit 5K or f.S>5HS when she lands. You can't react to it but know she can go into it off her jump cancellable normals (5K, c.S, 2S, 2HS).

You are aiming at Kudakero hitting with both hits, although the same combo works with just the first hit, What's the part that you're dropping?

Ok I got it now, I was just messing up before. I like this route a lot, thanks. It lets you get BR ender for more damage and consistency than other options I knew of. I haven't gotten it with just 1 hit of Kudakero yet but it's pretty easy to get both hits. I'm having more success with normal jump than high jump.

example BR ender:

5K > 6P > delay 5HS(JC) > j.D > Kudakero |> 2HS(JC) > j.D, falling j.D |> Fafnir, dash GF, 2HS > BR = 236

To clarify on the combo HIDEKI posted: In most circumstances, you'll need to delay the 5HS as you would for a D-Loop in order to bridge the gap between yourself and Millia. The closer to the corner you are, the less of a delay is required. If you're deep in the corner and have any momentum going into the combo, you'll typically get a 1-hit Kudakero, but if that happens you can still sneak in a 2HS afterwards. Off a 2-hit Kudakero, 5HS is possible. It is possible to do a regular jump instead of a High Jump deep in the corner, but you must do 2HS in order to get the D-Loop afterwards, as Millia will be too low following a 5HS due to its slower start-up. Landing Fafnir depends on the timing of your post-Kudakero pick-up and the immediacy of inputting Fafnir upon the end of landing recovery.

As for the ender, you can sneak in a dash c.S before 6P, but you will need to delay 5HS for longer if you want a 2-hit HS Volcanic Viper. Doing a Bandit Revolver off this set-up will give you effectively maximum advantage.

I should note that the damage off this combo is less than that of the 5K > 6P > delay Gun Flame, 5HS (JC) etc route, but by combining these two starters, we get presumably maximum damage.

(corner) 5K > 6P > delay Gun Flame, 5HS (HJC) > j.D > Kudakero |> 5HS (JC) > j.D, falling j.D |> Fafnir, dash c.S > 6P > delay 5HS > Bandit Revolver or HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi
[244/41%] (Bandit Revolver)
[246/43%] (HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi)

This can only be done deep in the corner because Kudakero will not connect if Millia is too far away after Gun Flame, 5HS (HJC) > j.D. However, the increased pushback means that you'll always get a 2-hit Kudakero, even with dash momentum. The additional pushback and gravity also makes Fafnir much easier to land, so I dare say it's more stable.

Edit: On another note, I recently discovered that the part of the tumble animation Millia is in when you Fafnir her during a typical Homing Dash combo in the corner makes her susceptible to being hit by a follow-up Bandit Bringer even though she usually isn't vulnerable to it. It seems she needs to be around the height that she would be during the bounce off a ground hit 6P in the corner, and the wall stick slump into Bandit Bringer just so happens to fit that perfectly. With this, it is possible to deal over half life to Millia in a single corner Homing Dash combo.

Just in training mode but looking at her roll gimmicks, I think 6S+HS looks like the best throw OS choice if you're gonna go for one when she rolls toward you without doing Digitalis (roll>HS). In the case that they roll towards you, then 5D to dodge your attack or throw whiff and hit you, you will either hit her on the way back as c.S or f.S depending on when you pressed it. 6K+HS doesn't reach 5D, 4HS does but doesn't seem like it does with realistic reaction timing. 6HS is too slow to hit realistically too from the looks of it.

In that combo, I am not able to get the 2nd j.D to hit after landing Kudakero. Is there some trick to it?

EDIT: I'm getting it now. It seems that Millia's air hitbox is funky in a way such that the first j.D hits in its later active frames, which is what allows for the second j.D to connect. Would also explain why it doesn't necessarily work on all light characters.

EDIT: I'm getting it now. It seems that Millia's air hitbox is funky in a way such that the first j.D hits in its later active frames, which is what allows for the second j.D to connect. Would also explain why it doesn't necessarily work on all light characters.

Oh that's what it is, I was wondering why it didn't work on any other lights when it's just a dustloop rep, thought it had to be a hurtbox issue so makes sense.

On that note, I was looking at minimum height airdash j.S > j.HS combos on her in more detail (since j.D whiffs over her crouch here). You can't seem to use this new route with land 5K 6P due to pushback, but that also makes Fafnir connect after 1 dustloop rep. You can land 6P to omit the 5K pushback but I find the confirm much less reliable that way. So I prefer the 1 rep to Fafnir routes off this starter.

So in 1.1, her DAA was nerfed, It's now her 6P animation instead of c.S. It knocks you farther away on hit, on block it's still pretty bad but not quite as bad. Easy dash c.S punish. You can now low profile it with 2D as well and punish the whiff with c.S.

Another thing of note, Badmoon is in crouch state for recovery now. You can even punish tk.Badmoon with dash 2HS > GF now for a really painful meterless punish, but only works up close and it's pretty tight.

crouch hit 2HS > GF > dash j.K > j.S (JC) > j.S > j.D > HSVV->TO = 225

Iron Savior (hair car) pushes back less now, so on IB you can get a dash f.S. It's max range so you can only convert from that with RC.

Digitalis (roll>HS) is a CH 5HS punish on block now. IB makes it work from farther out.

Pretty sure these are new in 1.1.

Also new to Ver.1.10, Millia's airborne hurtbox has been tweaked in such a way that some combos that ended in air hit 6HS > HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi that previously failed on Millia will now connect without issue. The combo discussed earlier in this thread is one such example.