Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy vs. Ramlethal Valentine

• Use this thread to discuss the Ramlethal Valentine matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.
Round Start:

Neutral:

Offense:
  • Wake up timing: 25f face-up, 23f face-down.
  • Safejump Option-Selects: OS 5K and c.S hit backdash, but neither is safe to reversal Explode.
  • deep j.S/j.D (JC) > fuzzy j.P/j.S works.

Defense/Punishes:
  • Overheads: 6K (18f, hits crouch 20f, 0 on block), KPP/2KPP (18f, +3 on block), 5D (28f, -13 on block), 214K/j.214K (32f, +2 on block).
  • Dust: f.S/2D on block.
  • Dead Angle Attack: anything, it's -17 on block. Can be low profiled with 2D, punish whiff with c.S.
  • Dauro (623P): IB 5K punishes just frame version.
  • Command grab: neutral jump > land c.S/falling CH j.D, back jump > air dash j.P, backdash > CH 6HS.
  • Explode (2363214K): (dash) c.S on block.

Combo Notes:
  • Normal hit 2D > no mash GV works from nearly max possible range. This essentially replaces BR as the go-to basic combo ender.

Punishes:

IB Dauro (623P) is a 5K(1) > 2D > GV punish so if they autopilot into it often you can do that. Works on the just frame version too.

Combos:

2D > GV is a godsend. The knockdown gives huge advantage, it works from very far, and you can get good stuff off an RC. GV (RC) dash j.D, falling j.D |> Fafnir etc for example. The GV can't be punished with bursts since it's an air hit.

Fafnir feels strong in neutral in this match. If you mix it in well with dash f.S and 2D to beat her sword f.S especially. It can whiff punish her 2S which she might do to hit 2D. You just need to watch for the fast horizontal set sword cause that can hit you out of it. If set swords are mid swing and she gets hit or has to block Fafnir, they stop swinging.

GF seems pretty bad in neutral because giant swords everywhere and her high mobility.

Seems hard to keep her cornered, her high jump goes extremely high and she has a far airdash.

You have to respect her j.P air-to-air up close, move is gigantic and fast. Unless you wanna air VV lol. Same speed as our j.P so if you clash j.P with it I think you can both repeatedly mash j.P clashes.

If she has sword, don't bait throw with jumps, the 4HS hits straight up really high.

Look for the +3 string overhead. It's only doable in 2 of her strings so once you get the hang of it it isn't that hard to see. They also seem to prefer it over the low options in those places so if you have to guess, high would be a good bet. If you can 5K or VV it that's good, since it is +3 on block.

Also a probably pretty important punish, if you IB her 2K>2KK (spin kicks) it's a f.S punish.

I find sweep to be really good against her. Also, Sol's 5S(f) shuts down a lot of what she does simply because it's faster than her stuff at a similar range. If you block the attack that flashes green, it's hard for her to stop Sol from using 5S(f) or 2D after.

I find sweep to be really good against her. Also, Sol's 5S(f) shuts down a lot of what she does simply because it's faster than her stuff at a similar range. If you block the attack that flashes green, it's hard for her to stop Sol from using 5S(f) or 2D after.

Dauro should always be punished, its an easy IB buffer

I dont like to fight her where 2 swords are set on midscreen so sometimes i just put myself a bit more close to the corner

swords blockstun is not that much,sometimes you can air throw her during certain setup where she use just 1 sword

punish all the sword swing attemp during blockstring with f.s

once she has cornered you with both swords and you blocked the 2kpp overhead ram players like to do following things:

jump back tu setup swords for free: and again start pressure..dont let her do this and jump with j.hs j.p throw whatever..otherwise it will be hard to get out of the corner

Press buttons because she is at +3 but the only button who will beat sol low profile sweep is 2k..if you block low you will block the 2k but if you stand block the 2k wont connect. if you try to press 2D she will counter hit you but if you sweep any other button she press you will counter or at least trade in your favor

if she press 2p you trade with your 2D and you can connect f.s(cant gatlings into 5HS because she is too far but you can RC and air combo with j.k)

She has a pretty hard time anti-airing our j.HS. I noticed Machaboo dashing in with j.HS a lot in recent vids so I tried it out a bit. If you're coming down vertically at all her 6P tends to lose or clash to it. 5P doesn’t reach it if you're higher up. 2S with sword has to be done in anticipation because it's slow.

In 1.1 you can poke the swords during and after their swing to knock the little guys down for a little.

Whiff punishes for her command grab are the same as May (she also takes CH during recovery):

neutral jump = land c.S or falling CH j.D

back jump = air dash j.P

backdash = CH 6HS