Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy vs. Venom

• Use this thread to discuss the Venom matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.

Round Start:
  • His 2S reaches you and is 6f. You can beat it with 2P if timed perfectly.

Neutral:

Offense:
  • Wake-up timing: 49f face-up, 54f face-down.
  • Safejump Option-Selects: OS 5K and c.S(more reliable) hit backdash.
  • j.S > fuzzy j.P/j.S works.

Defense:
  • Overheads:

Punishes:
  • Dust: CH 6P/f.S/2D (note he takes counter hits).
  • Dead Angle Attack: dash 5K/c.S. Can be low profiled with GV.

Combo Notes:

I just tried comboing it to 5HS and it doesn't reach sadly. But yeah this seems like a good start option, pretty low risk if you got the timing down. I was looking at how he could punish it, and none of his normals can. 2P and 5K will clash, and f.S will get countered just like 2S. His 6HS is slow enough that you recover and can block. He would probably have to shoot a ball at you to hit it.

He could probably do a delayed 2S.

True that is an option for him.

This might not come up often, but you can seriously hurt him for whiffing 2D. Whether the first hit connects or not, you can CH 5HS > BB, or even CH 6HS as he misses the 2nd hit which has shorter range. Typically they'd special cancel the first 2D hit I think but if they don't it's big damage. If you can FD to make the first hit whiff, they'd have to RC to be safe.

Neat trick. I'll try and do a small write up since this is the only xrd match I know.

I could use it if you ever get around to it. Lost to 2 Venoms now in tournaments. Never really learned this matchup well enough.

But I have been watching the recent Mugen vs Sanma set which has been enlightening. I see a lot of patience and waiting for the right moments to move from Mugen. I have been impatiently jumping too much and trying too hard to avoid balls I think.

Also in the typical 5D corner combo, 5D backdash > dash 6HS > BB, the BB will whiff unless you do the 6HS very soon after the backdash. Found that out the hard way.

I think IAD immediate j.HS is worth using on occasion in this match. It connects on him standing, can catch him jumping away, he can't anti-air it well, and it combos to falling j.K on stand hit.

If he summons excessively at long range you can use GV to keep him in check...highly risky though so be careful. As it goes, sometimes you have to take risks and make some big reads to get in.

Noticing another combo issue, I think TO doesn't reach him horizontally as well as most others. I have been surprised at it not reaching on multiple occasions.

For DI combos Kudakero can be an issue later on. You can do things like delaying it slightly after j.D or jump cancelling j.D before doing it. You have to be higher up than usual for it to connect consistently.

In regular combos, I don't think it's mentioned yet in here but you can replace any delay 5HS with delay 2HS to help Kudakero connect.

EDIT:

Dash stop will dodge his 2K, probably pretty useful because that's his fastest low poke which they like throwing out at close range to hit 2D or stop approaches in general.